Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Omi no Kami posted:

(Spoilers for 109-113)

I pretty much agree with everything you said in the spoilers. I was absolutely dreading the Lute sidestory. It came out more interesting than I expected, but I'd have preferred more Alden instead.

Incidentally 114 is out on RR and wraps up the Lute sidestory. The story did take up residence in my head and wouldn't leave even though I still don't like Lute, so I'm glad it's complete. Sleyca can write some really gripping story arcs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

Before SoupSoup, I was following Time to Orbit Unknown quite religiously, until I dropped it like a hot potato when the moral dilemma that had been built up for chapter after chapter - with its huge implications for their future society - just gets axed in the name of pacing. The quandary is decided for everyone by a character for whom it isn't a hard choice, without consulting anyone beforehand, so nobody had to do any growing or changing or hard decisions and sacrifices or anything like that.

I like reading SoupSoup, but I often don't read on release day but rather let two or three chapters build up. The Lute arc was a lot of words, for sure, but it still had enjoyable moments, and I care more for Lute than my disdain for all his rich people problems and the dissonance between his enormous degree of self-reflection and empathy and his own spite and pettiness should let me. The revelations are promising to lead to interesting places with the Manon arc, it doesn't seem like she's going to be the rabbit to find the right wizard healer for the Velra's needs, but she's certainly playing a big part in Aulia's plays for influence and connections among the tri-planets, and it's starting to show how far of an overreach all of that is.

Also poorly informed consent has reared its head again to remind us that it has been a major theme of this story from the very beginning (planetary contract, Gorgon, Joe) and I'm very curious to see if it gets any actual resolution or only more iteration.

Griddle of Love fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 29, 2024

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

The chain in SupSup 114 is interesting: <<The Eye of a Thousand Instants>>.”

Something like "One moment of perfect vision, in return for seeing a thousand instances of things you should have seen, but didn't?"

Also:

awesmoe posted:

Basically issuing a correction regarding a previous post of mine, on the subject of the Velra family, you do not under any circumstances gotta hand it to em

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I really liked in the last SupSup Patreon chapter (126) that Alden could tell which Olive was the real one because the Gremlin was whispering in his ear which one he wasn't allowed to eat.

That was a neat and clever use of the power. Sleyca has been good at coming up with neat ways to use the power sets of avowed and wizards without introducing bullshit Deux ex moments.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Griddle of Love posted:

Before SoupSoup, I was following Time to Orbit Unknown quite religiously, until I dropped it like a hot potato when the moral dilemma that had been built up for chapter after chapter - with its huge implications for their future society - just gets axed in the name of pacing. The quandary is decided for everyone by a character for whom it isn't a hard choice, without consulting anyone beforehand, so nobody had to do any growing or changing or hard decisions and sacrifices or anything like that.

I like reading SoupSoup, but I often don't read on release day but rather let two or three chapters build up. The Lute arc was a lot of words, for sure, but it still had enjoyable moments, and I care more for Lute than my disdain for all his rich people problems and the dissonance between his enormous degree of self-reflection and empathy and his own spite and pettiness should let me. The revelations are promising to lead to interesting places with the Manon arc, it doesn't seem like she's going to be the rabbit to find the right wizard healer for the Velra's needs, but she's certainly playing a big part in Aulia's plays for influence and connections among the tri-planets, and it's starting to show how far of an overreach all of that is.

Also poorly informed consent has reared its head again to remind us that it has been a major theme of this story from the very beginning (planetary contract, Gorgon, Joe) and I'm very curious to see if it gets any actual resolution or only more iteration.

Re: rabbit skill relevant to Royal Road soup:
Finding people to perform a task well is Neha's (the Rabbit entrance counselor) thing, and, well, I imagine getting on her schedule isn't easy, given she is one of the original S's and presumably has Presidents and CEOs asking her for advice all the time.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The only three I'm following on a "read when new chapters are released" basis currently are SupSup and the two series by the Outcast author (Outcast in Another World and their new series Skill Thief's Canvas).

Outcast isn't even one of the best web serials I've read, but it's nearing its end and has been pretty good lately. IMO it's been doing a pretty good job of "sticking the landing" (outside of the Jason stuff which...I'm not really a fan of). But I'm mainly subscribed to that Patreon currently for Skill Thief, which is probably tied for #1 with SupSup for me. I desperate hope that it manages to become more popular on Royal Road. The reviews it does get are almost all very positive, but it seems like not many people are reading it. I speculate that this is due to a mix of it having a pretty uninteresting title (and initial premise) + not containing a lot of elements that normally draw people to web serials.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Ahh, so it is:

She smiled as he took the binder. “I’m also sending you a copy through the System. But paper has its charms.”

“You’re an organizer?”

“I’m a lot of things at my age,” she said. “Not your average slouch who never actually developed their powers. But my most valuable skill combo from a work standpoint is the C-rank skill Day Planner plus my original S-rank, Locate Resources.”

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One thing I didn't totally understand from the latest SupSup Patreon chapter (126) - How exactly did Maricel's part of the "trap" work? It's not clear to me how she launched the cylinder of compressed dirt so fast. From what I understand, she compressed it a ton inside of the cylinder, but how did this cause it to go super fast? Can she somehow "compress" a ton of power over time into a specific chunk of dirt (or other "ground") to imbue it with more acceleration?

I also don't quite understand what's happening where it "stops dead for a split second" and changes direction before hitting Heloisa. Or the part before that where it flies towards her before changing direction (my best guess is that she initially had it going in a different direction to distract from her being the attacker?).

edit: Oh wait, it wasn't inside of a cylinder, it just was a cylinder.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 29, 2024

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Ytlaya posted:

One thing I didn't totally understand from the latest SupSup Patreon chapter (126) - How exactly did Maricel's part of the "trap" work? It's not clear to me how she launched the cylinder of compressed dirt so fast. From what I understand, she compressed it a ton inside of the cylinder, but how did this cause it to go super fast? Can she somehow "compress" a ton of power over time into a specific chunk of dirt (or other "ground") to imbue it with more acceleration?

I also don't quite understand what's happening where it "stops dead for a split second" and changes direction before hitting Heloisa. Or the part before that where it flies towards her before changing direction (my best guess is that she initially had it going in a different direction to distract from her being the attacker?).

edit: Oh wait, it wasn't inside of a cylinder, it just was a cylinder.

The speed was just Maricel being a talented S rank. I'm pretty sure. the moment it stopped was the second of the three motions Maricel rehearses in her head while she's the pov. First she zooms the clay log to her. Then she stops it to position her attack. Then she shoots it at the enemy course's pipe.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
I am the opposite of "wait 6 months for some more backlog then catch up". With very few exceptions, if I don't mostly keep up with a story as it updates I will never read it again.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Wittgen posted:

The speed was just Maricel being a talented S rank. I'm pretty sure. the moment it stopped was the second of the three motions Maricel rehearses in her head while she's the pov. First she zooms the clay log to her. Then she stops it to position her attack. Then she shoots it at the enemy course's pipe.

There's this part that confuses me:

quote:

It rocketed across enemy lines, smashed toward the floor—which should have broken it to bits or, given its shape, sent it rolling off into the sunset—and stopped dead for a split second.

Heloísa, standing a couple of yards away from the end of it, whipped around to face it just in time for it to crash into her legs and send her flying as it barreled in a perfectly straight line along the floor down the enemy course.

My best guess is that it needed to be higher than ground-level to cross into enemy lines for some reason, at which point it was lowered to the ground.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Ytlaya posted:

There's this part that confuses me:

My best guess is that it needed to be higher than ground-level to cross into enemy lines for some reason, at which point it was lowered to the ground.

it also was very hard and compressed which I interpreted as the reason why it didn't break. "Should" referring to if it wasn't so well constructed with her shaping. I definitely interpreted the speed as just her raw power.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

gonadic io posted:

it also was very hard and compressed which I interpreted as the reason why it didn't break. "Should" referring to if it wasn't so well constructed with her shaping. I definitely interpreted the speed as just her raw power.

SS126 Yeah, it's this. Hitting the ground should have made it go out of control, but the power of Maricels shaping motion made it keep going straight into the pipe.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

SS126 yeah Maricel had 3 motion for her attack.
1: Draw all the soil to herself from their side of the match into a tube
2: Launch the dirt tube to the opposing side (which also injured an opponent in the process, though this wasn't the purpose of this movement)
3: Stop the dirt tube and shove it into the enemy pipe, clogging it.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
SS126In order for Marciel to aim the dirt at the pipe she needed it to start from the opponents side, but Shapers aren't allowed to just have their stuff hanging around in the opposing team's lane. So she shoots it over to their lane in one motion, stops it to line it up with the pipe and then launches it at the pipe.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^^ Thanks, I think this helps clarify it.

SS126 But what about the "stopped dead" part? Is this just because (at least at her current level of skill) Shapers need to control the stuff they're shaping in discrete movements? So she has to stop it, move it down, and then make it move forward again?

My interpretation of why it didn't break is that it didn't actually hit the ground with much/any force - she stopped it on contact. And then sent it forward again at its new, ground-level height, I guess?

Nitrousoxide posted:

SS126 yeah Maricel had 3 motion for her attack.
1: Draw all the soil to herself from their side of the match into a tube
2: Launch the dirt tube to the opposing side (which also injured an opponent in the process, though this wasn't the purpose of this movement)
3: Stop the dirt tube and shove it into the enemy pipe, clogging it.

I think the only possible correction here is that she stopped it before hitting Heloisa. But otherwise this seems like an accurate description of what happened.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 30, 2024

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

SS126 But what about the "stopped dead" part? Is this just because (at least at her current level of skill) Shapers need to control the stuff they're shaping in discrete movements? So she has to stop it, move it down, and then make it move forward again?

My interpretation of why it didn't break is that it didn't actually hit the ground with much/any force - she stopped it on contact. And then sent it forward again at its new, ground-level height, I guess?

SS126
I believe the soil tube was made so it was oriented parallel to the pipe it was ultimately shoved into. Then launched to the opposing side. It flew on a tanget against its orientation so the long side was its "forward". Then when it was lined up with the pipe it was stopped and then shot forward into the pipe, and stopped (mostly) inside to block it up.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

SS126
I believe the soil tube was made so it was oriented parallel to the pipe it was ultimately shoved into. Then launched to the opposing side. It flew on a tanget against its orientation so the long side was its "forward". Then when it was lined up with the pipe it was stopped and then shot forward into the pipe, and stopped (mostly) inside to block it up.

Oh! So it would have hit Heloisa with the sides of the tube smashing into her legs?

I think I see the fundamental mistake in how I was thinking about this. For some reason I imagined the courses being arranged such that Maricel would already be facing in the direction of the enemy course's tube. Not sure why I thought that! Everything makes perfect sense if I think of it as the attackers facing perpendicular to the other side's course (or at least the tube part).

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Thus is the problem with SS126 gym chapters

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I think I might be reading too many serials.

Drop everything when new chapters hit:
- Thresholder (subbed on Patreon)
- Player Manager
- The Daily Grind

Good reading that I set aside time for:
- Super Supportive (subbed on Patreon)
- The Flower That Bloomed Nowhere (although I’m waiting for a backlog to build)
- A Practical Guide to Sorcery

Things that make my bus rides better:
- Time To Orbit: Unknown
- The Game at Carousel (although I probably should be waiting for a backlog to build)
- Fox’s Tongue and Kirin’s Bone

Time filler to stave off having to do anything with my life:
- Industrial Strength Magic
- Bog Standard
- Slumrat Rising

(Ar’Kendrithyst is technically on my follow list, but I need to be an a very specific headspace to enjoy it, and at this point I’m far enough behind that the backlog is really intimidating.)

e: forgot PGtS somehow

blastron fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jan 30, 2024

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
My three "drop everything" are Thresholder, Practical Guide to Sorcery, and Ave Xia Rem Y.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I'm only on two drop everything's nowadays, TWI and Beware of Chicken. And TWI is still to this day the only thing, not even web serial, thing as a whole, that I have subscribed to on patreon.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Dang, I forgot to put Practical Guide to Sorcery in the list, that’s up there too.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
My current insta-reads are Beneath the Dragon Eye Moons, Beware of Chicken, Forged in Conflict*, Dungeon Life and Saintess Summons Skeletons.

*Only technically a serial, when it's really a novel being released chapter-by-chapter to Patreon members before being openly released when the trilogy is completed.

I've got a bunch more I subscribe to a Patreon, but the above are the ones I'll read when I get the notification, while the rest I'll read in-between doing other stuff.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I'm a binge redder and also really picky so I'm not following anything atm. Although I did just start catching up on Flower that Blooms Nowhere, and by catching up I mean reread from the start.

Besides that I read Player Manager when it was starting and enjoyed it fine at the time, but I tried to get back into it and catch up recently and couldn't really enjoy it that much.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I need to catch up on Carousel but I'm giving it a few months to build up. It didn't feel like one I could follow a single update at a time.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Onean posted:

My current insta-reads are Beneath the Dragon Eye Moons, Beware of Chicken, Forged in Conflict*, Dungeon Life and Saintess Summons Skeletons.

*Only technically a serial, when it's really a novel being released chapter-by-chapter to Patreon members before being openly released when the trilogy is completed.

I've got a bunch more I subscribe to a Patreon, but the above are the ones I'll read when I get the notification, while the rest I'll read in-between doing other stuff.

Oh, there's one more I forgot to mention until it just updated: Nellie and the Nanites. I'm not a fan of the author's other work, The Waystation, but Nellie and the Nanites I really enjoy.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

blastron posted:

(Ar’Kendrithyst is technically on my follow list, but I need to be an a very specific headspace to enjoy it, and at this point I’m far enough behind that the backlog is really intimidating.)
depending on how far behind you were, you should catch up, poo poo got wild and I'm extremely here for it

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Started Katalepsis (the published version of Vol 1) and this poo poo is a banger. Absolutely love it. Maybe it falls apart later or something but so far this is an unambiguous 10/10 recommendation from me.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Nitrousoxide posted:

Started Katalepsis (the published version of Vol 1) and this poo poo is a banger. Absolutely love it. Maybe it falls apart later or something but so far this is an unambiguous 10/10 recommendation from me.

I don't quite remember why I dropped Katalepsis but I think it was because it was a little overly dark for me. And, now that I'm thinking about it, worries about mental corruption being a thing since that's offputting to me. But that's just a matter of personal taste, I don't recall having any issues with the quality.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
There are many reasons why someone might drop Katalepsis, but it's bloody good and I can't wait for more.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I dropped it because it jumped the shark for me when The Princess In Yellow was revealed to also be a moody disaster lesbian that just want to hang out. I do generally enjoy it, and will probably go back, but it was just like "okay. this is what it's going to be every time now right. this is what it wants to do".

It's not even really a criticism in that I think that was a poor decision or anything, I fully support the author (who occasionally posts here) choosing that this is what she wants to write.

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jan 30, 2024

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Seven brides for seven heathers.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

yeah I dropped it because it was far too anime and lesbian for me

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

I used to joke that the Katalepsis experience is like playing Bloodborne on one monitor while watching a slice of life anime on a second monitor. A reader pointed out that over the course of the story those two monitors have merged into one. Which, yeah, fair enough. Sometimes the slice of life is interrupted by cosmic horror, sometimes the cosmic horrors are experiencing some slice of life.

If you enjoy my style but you want something less narratively and thematically sprawling, that's kind of what I'm doing in Necroepilogos.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I'll check it out for sure thanks.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Soup patreon side thought: Imagine what Aulia will think if she discovered Alden learned a complicated word chain in under two weeks?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

OddObserver posted:

Soup patreon side thought: Imagine what Aulia will think if she discovered Alden learned a complicated word chain in under two weeks?

(SupSup 126) Skiff was on the assessment team for Alden's application to hero school, Aulia probably already knows all of Alden's stats.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Bremen posted:

(SupSup 126) Skiff was on the assessment team for Alden's application to hero school, Aulia probably already knows all of Alden's stats.

SupSup 126
Aulia literally has Alden on 24/7 surveillance as she was able to immediately check on his safety when she thought that Hazel had killed him. I have to imagine that she is getting reports about everything going on at his school, though of course she's obviously not sitting there watching him all the time herself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

SupSup 126
Aulia literally has Alden on 24/7 surveillance as she was able to immediately check on his safety when she thought that Hazel had killed him. I have to imagine that she is getting reports about everything going on at his school, though of course she's obviously not sitting there watching him all the time herself.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure she already knows. It probably contributes somewhat to her willingness to side with him over Hazel (though she'd probably be willing to do this anyways solely based off him surviving after his ordeal). She would absolutely view "not only is all this other stuff the case, but he even does wordchains" as a big "sign."