Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

We all know there is one person that Luffy can never forgive.

That loving pigeon... :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
kizaru can be as unhappy about his orders as he likes but it doesn't mean poo poo until he actually disobeys them. he has shown no sign of doing so.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Jerusalem posted:

We all know there is one person that Luffy can never forgive.

That loving pigeon... :argh:

https://twitter.com/skrgtn/status/1726659404282622390

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

scary ghost dog posted:

im curious if theres an upper limit to forgiveable bad guys in one piece

edit: or rather, where it is, since its obviously there. could kizaru ally with the straw hats or is he across that threshold?
The upper limit is dynamic. The worse the worst villain gets the more redeemable all the other villains get. The introduction of Saturn and Garling make everyone else forgivable, even Doflamingo, perhaps even Akainu.

Arlong will stay on the list permanently though because Oda will never forgive what he did to Nami.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
"unclear justice"

one one hand he can choose to help the scientist screaming constantly about improving humanity, the father and daughter combo put through unimagineable circumstances, the literal reincarnation of a liberation god

on the other hand he can choose to help The Chief Slavemaster of the World who also happens to be an eldritch demon who is gleefully ordering the clones of a 12 year old's father to kill her while also wantonly slaughtering innocent people

doesn't seem like the hardest choice in the world to me idk.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Insert simpsons meme with director guy "He must decide if his best friend will LIVE.................. or DIE."

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Doffy is going to show up at the end trying to fight Luffy or whatever and Paulie is going to appear with Awakened Ropes and give a speech about how ropes can rope harder than string can string, then rope a hole through Doffy’s chest

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Wow so it’s ok when Big Mom abuses her children but when Caesar Clown abuses children that aren’t even his he’s suddenly “irredeemable”.
I feel like she could come to realize her abuse was wrong and try to do better going forward. She just wanted to recapture the feeling of having a loving family like she briefly had before she ate them, but she had no actually good examples of how that would actually work because everyone she knew growing up was either afraid of her and/or trying to manipulate her.

Caesar Clown was jealous of his coworker so he gave kids hard drugs.

I'm not saying Big Mom was a good person, but I feel there's a difference.

tbp posted:

"unclear justice"

one one hand he can choose to help the scientist screaming constantly about improving humanity, the father and daughter combo put through unimagineable circumstances, the literal reincarnation of a liberation god

on the other hand he can choose to help The Chief Slavemaster of the World who also happens to be an eldritch demon who is gleefully ordering the clones of a 12 year old's father to kill her while also wantonly slaughtering innocent people

doesn't seem like the hardest choice in the world to me idk.
The wider context is important. If Kizaru does not think that the World Government can be overthrown, then any act of rebellion is hopeless. Sure he could maybe save his friends today, but then he and they would be enemies of the entire world, and it would only be a matter of time before they all die anyway.

Or so he believes. As I think I mentioned before, the one thing Kizaru needs at this point is hope. Like, some sort of god of liberation he can believe in, so an act of rebellion isn't necessarily just an act of suicide. Dunno where he might find one of those.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think Kizaru probably gets some degree of redemption just because he's clearly conflicted and we still don't really know what his motivation is, and his betrayal would be a good opportunity to finally explore that.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

No Wave posted:

The upper limit is dynamic. The worse the worst villain gets the more redeemable all the other villains get. The introduction of Saturn and Garling make everyone else forgivable, even Doflamingo, perhaps even Akainu.

Arlong will stay on the list permanently though because Oda will never forgive what he did to Nami.

The gently caress? Introduction of shittier people doesn’t make past villains more redeemable - the list of shittiest person can be dynamic. Theres also no way Doflamingo is redeemable

Top tier shitpost

Ubiquitus fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 30, 2024

Doctor Syrup
Apr 7, 2009

Ubiquitus posted:

The gently caress? Introduction of shittier people doesn’t make past villains more redeemable - the list of shittiest person can be dynamic. Theres also no way Doflamingo is redeemable

Top tier shitpost

Nah it's like when Frieza shows up, suddenly Vegeta's motivations are a lot more understandable and he starts on the path to joining the good guys.

Understandable is not -excusable-, but actual redemption is a hard road and I think One Piece could do a good job of exploring something like that.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i excuse caeser clown because he's funny

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Vegeta is a great example because he started off as bad as Garling, killing defenseless people for sport by the thousands. Maybe even worse. I never really forgave him but the story seemed to.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Gologle posted:

People want Kizaru to turn good sooo badly. Is it because he's the weed man?

He's the last original admiral left, and we still have a bunch of colour zodiac animal code name marines left to go through. Where's the orange rat admiral?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

No Wave posted:

Vegeta is a great example because he started off as bad as Garling, killing defenseless people for sport by the thousands. Maybe even worse. I never really forgave him but the story seemed to.

sounds like we need a garling shower scene so se can learn how, like vegeta, his anger stems from his absolute lack of an rear end

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Gologle posted:

People want Kizaru to turn good sooo badly. Is it because he's the weed man?

Nothing wrong with wanting a dude to have a face turn after getting humanizing backstory for the first time.

Like others have said, I think he'll have a moment of hesitation or rebellion that will help the SH crew. I don't think he's gonna, like, be the last member of the crew or anything. But One Piece loves to explore navy folks having second thoughts about their orders.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
If Kizaru face turns the most logical thing is probably taking Vegapunk with him after all this mess and going to hang out with the Revolutionaries together.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

No Wave posted:

I think Oda actually takes that kind of complaint seriously. Robin is probably the closest in the story but Oda retconned the murder she committed on Igaram in order to let her join the crew. Like I wouldn't say characters like Buggy or Caesar have really been 'redeemed', they're just not active threats to the protagonists anymore so we can enjoy their patheticness. Or there's someone like Crocodile who is probably still bad but is now more of a 'heel' who you kindof root for anyway.

Doctor Syrup
Apr 7, 2009

Oda did also work as an assistant on Rurouni Kenshin, which is very much about someone trying to atone for doing terrible things.

I think he could handle it in a satisfying way if we do get an arc like that for whichever character.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think Oda actually takes that kind of complaint seriously. Robin is probably the closest in the story but Oda retconned the murder she committed on Igaram in order to let her join the crew. Like I wouldn't say characters like Buggy or Caesar have really been 'redeemed', they're just not active threats to the protagonists anymore so we can enjoy their patheticness. Or there's someone like Crocodile who is probably still bad but is now more of a 'heel' who you kindof root for anyway.
Redeem is a loaded word. Is lifelong POS caribou redeemed because of the granny cover arc or feeding luffy in wano? Not really but he doesnt feel like a real problem. Does this mean his sins are forgiven? Idk but I've kind of forgotten them.

Caesar's a special case because unlike other villains he never really took his L and went right to causing trouble again.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Caribou's been traveling with the Straw Hats for longer than Jinbe has

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

oddium posted:

i excuse caeser clown because he's funny

Thank you. Wish more people understood this.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Caesar clown was so funny that Oda got carried away putting him in funny situations and had to clarify in an SBS that he's really a bad guy.

quote:

Q: Nami-san called Caesar “Scum”, “Garbage”, and told him that “It would be better if you died”. Did she get influenced by Robin-chan’s potty-mouth (toxic-tongue)?

Oda: Please remember what happened on Punk Hazard. Caesar fed the children stimulants, called his subordinates guinea pigs, and dedicates his whole life to creating a weapon of genocide. He truly is a man where it would be better off if he was dead. Nami was simply being pleasant in front of the women and children but I truly believe that she hates Caesar from the bottom of her heart. (One word is cut off so this might not be totally right.)

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Eiba posted:

I'm not saying Big Mom was a good person, but I feel there's a difference.

There’s a massive difference: between the flashback, her hunger pangs, her violent personality shifts, and her bouts of trauma-induced amnesia, it’s pretty easy to separate out her personas of child, pirate empress, mother and monster, and from there it gets really easy to, if not redeem her, then at least rehabilitate her — because that’s just O-Lin and Mother Mode. We already know what it looks like.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
I think part of One Piece that is easy to forget is that the Straw Hats are abnormal. Most pirate crews kill and steal. Law literally stole a hundred human hearts and killed Vega and Monet, Kidd has (allegedly) killed civilians. Hell, the Straw Hats aren't even anti-killing, Oda just prefers to leave their enemies alive. Murder isn't a big deal in this world.

That being said, Caesar is on another level what with chemical warfare and all that.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Shonen comic readers got to find another term for “former villain joining the good guys” aside from ‘redemption’.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Zoro - killer
Nami - thief
Sanji - sex pest
Robin - killer
Usopp - liar
Franky - crime kingpin so probably both killer and thief
Jinbei - yakuza boss so probably both killer and thief
Brooke - sex pest
Luffy - thief (stole from Skypiea)

Chopper is the only truly innocent Strawhat

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Chopper sold drugs to Bepo.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Zoro - killer
Nami - thief
Sanji - sex pest
Robin - killer
Usopp - liar
Franky - crime kingpin so probably both killer and thief
Jinbei - yakuza boss so probably both killer and thief
Brooke - sex pest
Luffy - thief (stole from Skypiea)

franky is also somewhat a sex pest

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nami probably did some unsavory things during her time with Arlong trying to gather enough money to buy back her village so I wouldn’t be surprised if she had to kill someone somewhere along the line too

Luffy isn’t really anti-killing either for that matter (he took part in the attempted assassination attempt on Big Mom after all), it’s just not really his style

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Oda is drawing out Kizaru's heel turn so that us true believers give up on him (just like how I was adamant Yamato would stay on Wano until 2 chapters before it was official) just so he can make us all look like weak willed idiots AGAIN. Oda is a sicko and I won't give him the satisfaction, Kizaru is allying with the strawhats even if he dies or the series ends before it happens - IT'S HAPPENING.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

I'm not convinced Kizaru doesn't have dementia.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Scholtz posted:

Caribou's been traveling with the Straw Hats for longer than Jinbe has

I hope he stays. Never as an official strawhat, but rather just as a forever stow-a-way that only gets barely acknowledged by the crew.

Just let him get dragged into more and more ridiculous and dangerous situations. This is his life now.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Wonder if Caribou ever got the message to “That Man

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Caribuggy.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Except for that one time he gave his Dad a deadly amount of poison

copy
Jul 26, 2007

no even then

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
it wasnt deadly because hiriluk didnt die. simple as

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

No Wave posted:

The story doesn’t really care about the planet of bug people he exploded

Which is even funnier once super comes out and you find out there’s like 50 space fearing species total in the entire universe which really makes indiscriminate genocide a lot sillier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Meme Emulator posted:

The story doesn’t really care about the planet of bug people he exploded

Which is even funnier once super comes out and you find out there’s like 50 space fearing species total in the entire universe which really makes indiscriminate genocide a lot sillier.

The planet of bug people was filler. Vegeta killed a lot of innocent people, but not an entire planet of bug people.