Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Horny and erotic stuff in fantasy is definitely nothing new. But I think there is a new trend of what is basically just YA fantasy (like in terms of style, themes, characters etc) but the author makes the characters 20 instead of 15 so they can call it adult fantasy and have explicit sex passages and extreme horniness and it isn't gross. Those Rebecca Yarros books that blew up last year are a great example of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

SkeletonHero posted:

Famous mystery novel The Eleventh Hour doesn't reveal the culprit in-story, but does reveal it in the appendix. The name of the swan is kept secret but an astute reader can figure it out on their own.

As long as the reader knows, it counts. Gosford Park is a perfect mystery.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
Tik Tok convinced me to buy every single book in The Stormlight Archive. For now, I'm just starting Ready Player One. After that, Ready Player Two.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Jedit posted:

An ellipsis is, of course, the tasteful line of asterisks that indicates a transition between scenes and is used in the more genteel romantic fiction as a literary fade to black when the couple get it on.

That's a dinkus. :eng101:

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 30, 2024

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Haystack posted:

The best example of this I've seen in sci-fi/fantasy is Rachel Bach's Paradox series. It's mostly an action-oriented space opera about a power armored lady kicking space lizards, but the romance in the story is well written, important to the development of the characters and the plot, and very goddamn steamy. It'd be a poorer book if the sex scenes just faded to black.

You just did a better job of selling this series than the blurbs ever did. Thanks!

DurianGray posted:

Maybe it's partly because I read a lot of queer, horror-adjacent genre stuff, but I can think of a lot of books I've read recently where the sex scenes are 100% there to develop the characters/vibes of the story without really being erotic (some even absolutely anti-erotic), and those books would be worse off if the sex scenes were cut out.

Like, I dunno, Walking Practice by Dolki Min has a lot of sex scenes that aren't at all erotic, but they're definitely a big part of making the central alien character alien. Also Walking Practice is just really good, more people should read it.

e: be warned, the main blurb for Walking Practice that says it's like Squid Game is baffling. I'm convinced they only cited it because it also falls under "piece of media from Korea" - they have nothing in common otherwise

:yeah:

Haven't read Walking Practice but I agree with this 100%

Also, speaking as someone who writes smut (not for sale anywhere) - if I'm writing IKEA instructions I know I've hosed up and it's time to shelf the WIP until I can bring the mood. Or, more importantly - written sex is, in my opinion, a physical dialogue between the characters. Even if it's just a simple dialogue ("I love you and want you to feel good") it's important to write that. You the reader should be leaving the scene understanding more about the characters - or at the bare minimum, affirmed that these characters had a reason for intimacy.

I'll actually liken smut scenes to fight scenes - you can write insert tab A into slot B there too! Optimus Prime punches Megatron in the face. Bam. Wow. Don't you feel the action, the swinging emotion as they face off on the battlefield? The best action writers get you into the movement and emotion of the scene, and I'll cite the brilliant ship battles in Master and Commander for dragging you in by the throat. You feel the ships rocking as the men fire the cannons, as Jack's furiously trying to outthink his opponents, etc.

Or: anyone can write physical movement poorly, but it takes skill to make it erupt into your mind, and that goes just as much for punching as it does hip thrusts.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Tik Tok convinced me to buy every single book in The Stormlight Archive. For now, I'm just starting Ready Player One. After that, Ready Player Two.

Can we recommend you some novels? I'd love to get you a starter pack for reading fantasy or sci-fi!

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

StrixNebulosa posted:

Can we recommend you some novels? I'd love to get you a starter pack for reading fantasy or sci-fi!

Please. I love Sci-Fi and Fantasy. I am trying to quit video games and replace them with books.

mystes
May 31, 2006

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Perhaps you should stop taking book any advice from tiktok.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Please. I love Sci-Fi and Fantasy. I am trying to quit video games and replace them with books.

Try reading Pride of Chanur by CJ Cherryh - it's short (200 pages!) and fun space opera, about space lion people finding a weird alien sneaking on their ship. He's pink, furless, and is nothing like anything they've ever seen.

What do you like in a plot? We'll rec stuff like it!

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

mystes posted:

Perhaps you should stop taking book any advice from tiktok.

Fair enough. But there are some elite book collectors on there.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

StrixNebulosa posted:

Try reading Pride of Chanur by CJ Cherryh - it's short (200 pages!) and fun space opera, about space lion people finding a weird alien sneaking on their ship. He's pink, furless, and is nothing like anything they've ever seen.

What do you like in a plot? We'll rec stuff like it!

War, Drama, Action, epicness.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Glen Cook's Black Company, it's about a mercenary company in a fantasy setting.

The Malazan series sounds up your alley - it's a ten volume completed grimdark fantasy series about a falling not-Roman Empire.

mystes
May 31, 2006

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Fair enough. But there are some elite book collectors on there.
"Elite book collectors" makes it sound like they're rappelling into used books stores in tactical gear out of a helicopter

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Hey, The Club Dumas is a fine work

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

mystes posted:

"Elite book collectors" makes it sound like they're rappelling into used books stores in tactical gear out of a helicopter

https://www.tiktok.com/@moonsrarebooks

StrixNebulosa posted:

Glen Cook's Black Company, it's about a mercenary company in a fantasy setting.

The Malazan series sounds up your alley - it's a ten volume completed grimdark fantasy series about a falling not-Roman Empire.

Ordered all. Need these Amazon points for free books.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Some recs based on this and the books you mentioned from TikTok:

Use of Weapons by Iain Banks (epic, action scenes, lots of war, great opening scene, if you like it there are a bunch of other books in this universe)

Gideon the Ninth by Muir (epic, action, war, drama)

The Broken Earth by NK Jemisin (epic fantasy done right, lots of drama and action)

This is How You Lose the Time War by El-Mohtar and Gladstone (zippy, popular, action)

The Eye of the World by Jordan (better version of / inspiration for Stormlight Archives, epic, drama, war, action)

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

buffalo all day posted:

Some recs based on this and the books you mentioned from TikTok:

Use of Weapons by Iain Banks (epic, action scenes, lots of war, great opening scene, if you like it there are a bunch of other books in this universe)

The Broken Earth by NK Jemisin (epic fantasy done right, lots of drama and action)

This is How You Lose the Time War by El-Mohtar and Gladstone (zippy, popular, action)

The Eye of the World by Jordan (better version of / inspiration for Stormlight Archives, epic, drama, war, action)

I've heard of The Eye of the World from my old man before, so I'll have to see if he still owns the book. All of these getting ordered.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

A Sneaker Broker posted:

If you want the best military sci-fi, David Drake's Hammer's Slammers is where it's at. He mixes his experiences at Vietnam with mythology and puts it in space and you get a bunch of novels and short stories about space war.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

buffalo all day posted:

Okay, I haven't read the sequels yet, but Gideon the Ninth is more of a "necromancers solve a haunted space house" plot. It is awesome, though.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

StrixNebulosa posted:

Okay, I haven't read the sequels yet, but Gideon the Ninth is more of a "necromancers solve a haunted space house" plot. It is awesome, though.

:ninja: sounds like you have some reading to do :ninja: fair point though lol

buffalo all day fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 30, 2024

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Gaius Marius posted:

Hey, The Club Dumas is a fine work

It is. So's Captain Alatrice.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

A Sneaker Broker posted:

step 1: Do not read Ready Player One, if you started just put it down. It's absolutely objectively terrible and will turn you off reading because it's not a book it's just a list of cultural references and a guy screaming GET IT over and over in your ear.

step 2: Pick up something light and easy to read like the Cradle series, it shares a lot of video game elements with the way he powers up and finds items and stuff. Stormlight is similar in that respect but is a little denser than Cradle so that's a suggestion if you bounce off early. Stormlight is also a fine place to start, but read it and whatever other Sanderson stuff you enjoy.

step 3: Report back and ask for more, because Stormlight + Cradle level stuff is the easy to get into fantasy, and you'll probably want better stuff afterward. Malazan/Baru Cormorant/Graydon Saunders are all way better (in different ways) but are a little harder to get into if you're transitioning from video games.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It is. So's Captain Alatrice.

Last I looked I had a really hard time finding copies of all of those in English. It's been a good few years, I should check again.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Just read Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun. It's better than anything else recommended

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Gaius Marius posted:

Just read Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun. It's better than anything else recommended

I love this series and you’re right but you absolutely cannot recommend it in this particular situation, lol

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

buffalo all day posted:

I love this series and you’re right but you absolutely cannot recommend it in this particular situation, lol

guy is coming from like final fantasy, he's not gonna get Gene Wolfe lol

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

guy is coming from like final fantasy, he's not gonna get Gene Wolfe lol

Amano did covers for both series. They couldn't be more compatible

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

step 1: Do not read Ready Player One, if you started just put it down. It's absolutely objectively terrible and will turn you off reading because it's not a book it's just a list of cultural references and a guy screaming GET IT over and over in your ear.

step 2: Pick up something light and easy to read like the Cradle series, it shares a lot of video game elements with the way he powers up and finds items and stuff. Stormlight is similar in that respect but is a little denser than Cradle so that's a suggestion if you bounce off early. Stormlight is also a fine place to start, but read it and whatever other Sanderson stuff you enjoy.

step 3: Report back and ask for more, because Stormlight + Cradle level stuff is the easy to get into fantasy, and you'll probably want better stuff afterward. Malazan/Baru Cormorant/Graydon Saunders are all way better (in different ways) but are a little harder to get into if you're transitioning from video games.

Say less, I will wait for the Prime box to arrive on my doorstep.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

re c s e cooneys saint deaths daughter

Wow that's a lot of rape for such a twee quickly white girl plot.

I also hate that the rapist is described as psycho in the summary. Psychosis does not make people rapists!!! gently caress you!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

man, I have bounced off of that book like three different times. It starts good, the writing is really excellent, then we slam directly into our protagonist hanging out with the least trustworthy guys of all time and I just can't proceed.

I should pick it back up, but phooo.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Gaius Marius posted:

Amano did covers for both series. They couldn't be more compatible

as the saying goes, judge a book by nothing but its cover

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Is this ever just shortened to "happy ending"

The very fine difference between romance and Literotica

buffalo all day posted:

:ninja: sounds like you have some reading to do :ninja: fair point though lol

:emptyquote:

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 30, 2024

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

I knew Ready Player One was bad and lame and still got annoyed with it.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Ready Player One is better than the movie.

Rainbows End is a much better novel featuring some similar concepts.

GladRagKraken
Mar 27, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

man, I have bounced off of that book like three different times. It starts good, the writing is really excellent, then we slam directly into our protagonist hanging out with the least trustworthy guys of all time and I just can't proceed.

The narrator as well is shady af. Unfortunately it's very much a picaresque, and if you don't like that vibe I can't imagine it'd be worth muscling through it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

I should pick it back up, but phooo.

Dr.Talos never tells a lie

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Drake and Flint were the only not-right-wing guys at Baen right?

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

VostokProgram posted:

Drake and Flint were the only not-right-wing guys at Baen right?
No, unless you literally mean men. But also I don't deeply know the politics of every author I've read on this list, but would be surprised if a bunch I had were conservatives.
https://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/publisher_authors.cgi?38+name

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

StrixNebulosa posted:

Optimus Prime punches Megatron in the face.

Go on...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Mistborn: Secret History by Brandon Sanderson - $2.49
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B0NS93U/

The Book of Koli (Rampart #1) by MR Carey - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W54MPDZ/

The Praise Singer by Mary Renault - $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DCGJ6Y0/