Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Incessant Excess posted:

jungle boy saying its real glass was him leaking punks medical records

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Incessant Excess posted:

jungle boy saying its real glass was him leaking punks medical records

I don’t want to laugh at this…

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
This was the best Deadlock moment of the year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmaYIy25dRY

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Did you know The Ringer has a business relationship with WWE?

https://twitter.com/ringerwrestling/status/1752423295666860480

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Not directly related to wrestling but Bill Simmons showed up on one (1) episode of The Ringer's "Prestige TV" podcast to talk about The Curse and that episode turned into much less of a discussion of The Curse and more of a discussion about how great Netflix is. How it's going to be hard to get people talking about The Curse because it's on Showtime/Paramount and not on Netflix, where all of the most popular shows are. And how it was crazy for MAX to "give up" The Curse after how much buzz The Rehearsal had, but The Rehearsal would have more buzz if it was on Netflix because after Game of Thrones ended there aren't any shows anyone watches on MAX, they only watch Netflix. There hasn't been a show in over a decade that got people talking that wasn't on Netflix. Netflix is such a successful and huge company, Netflix is leaving everyone in the dust. Netflix is #1 in television and no one else is even close. Name a great show that isn't on Netflix, you can't. Because even if a not-Netflix show is good, hypothetically, no one will see it because everyone only watches Netflix. Netflix can put out any show and bam, 100 million people see it. They love their Netflix shows, because not only is Netflix wildly popular, but Netflix knows how to get eyeballs for Netflix's great shows. Bill Simmons really wishes that The Curse was on Netflix so that people would watch it. Netflix is great!

At the time I just assumed he was trying to get a deal to do documentaries on Netflix.

Also the only reason i had this podcast in my feed is because they were doing a run of episodes about Barry (HBO) with interviews with Bill Hader, and then did the same thing again with Fargo (FX) and its creator. The same podcast has in the past year previously covered The White Lotus, Atlanta, The Last of Us, Poker Face, Succession, The Boys, Yellowjackets, and True Detective, shows that I guess no one watched, as they were not on Netflix.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 30, 2024

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Suplex Liberace posted:

to all my hog dippers, the deadies are open

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeRewOySacu5krE-MR3JuZdbvfVR7mZer5qPAFlvhKeYd1W0Q/viewform

hard question

Best DEADLOCK Podcast Moment of the Year
LowTierMeltzer
The Board Game Segment
An old, old Thanksgiving
James tries to get his PC fixed
Jimmy Shnuka Twonior
Kane is Steve
Macho Man at the Slammy's
DEADLOCK in Japan

Leaning towards james and his pc, those stores got me good. I dont even remember lowtiermeltzer unless it was "go the the beach, immediately!"

It's James PC debacle but I digress...

That best promo section introduced me to the Coughlin G1 promo HOLY poo poo what a goddamn promo

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

RJ City for Pretty Pretty Princess award

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Edge & Christian posted:

they were not on Netflix.

Sandra Bullock: After the Streaming Wars ended, all Streaming Companies are now Netflix.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
They gotta get Jesse on to accept the hall of Fame award, even if he doesn't win

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

MassRafTer posted:

The Ringmaster book is just a mess and someone with abuse allegations against them should have never been the one to write it.

I didn't know this, that's quite the red flag.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Went back to watch SGH 45

No wonder Matt and Jeff are so destroyed, having seen their tables match with the Dudleyz for the first time in like 24 years

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

this is not a laughing matter

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

King

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Is that a known family hater or is Dave just pwning at a guess

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

if dave is reporting that guy hates his family, i believe him

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

JUNGLE BOY posted:

if dave is reporting that guy hates his family, i believe him

yep. that guy definitely has no love for his kin.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

projecthalaxy posted:

Is that a known family hater or is Dave just pwning at a guess

you tell me

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
This podcast seems to have slipped completely beneath the radar.

https://twitter.com/ColumbiaJournMA/status/1701704702214525085

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
While that’s a good topic for a limited-run podcast, it’s a TERRIBLE name.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Annihilate him Dave

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What are B&V watching now, they seem to be watching 1994 NJPW?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

algebra testes posted:

What are B&V watching now, they seem to be watching 1994 NJPW?

January was Japan Month, and they finished it off with the 1994 January 4th Dome show. They haven’t decided what February will be, although I suggested watching the first two ROH shows from 2002.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
They really should've not quit TNA.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

they are rudderless

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Udderless

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

replace the third B&V of the week with the Mark and Craig show

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
No one ever talks about any of the paid tier Conrad podcasts but it's funny to think that aughts shoot interviews are back.

https://twitter.com/adfreeshows/status/1752889851244937342

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

MassRafTer posted:

No one ever talks about any of the paid tier Conrad podcasts but it's funny to think that aughts shoot interviews are back.

https://twitter.com/adfreeshows/status/1752889851244937342

Finally we will find out how big Batista's dick is.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
what's old is new again.

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Edward Mass posted:

January was Japan Month, and they finished it off with the 1994 January 4th Dome show. They haven’t decided what February will be, although I suggested watching the first two ROH shows from 2002.

I hope they do black history month because I don’t know too much about early black wrestlers, but they seemed pretty into doing something Valentine’s related

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Insertnamehere31 posted:

I hope they do black history month because I don’t know too much about early black wrestlers, but they seemed pretty into doing something Valentine’s related

:same:

I'm hoping the Valentine's stuff was mostly them having fun with all the puns they were coming up with.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
I started listening to VoW’s Super J Cast recently, and it’s a pretty fun way of keeping up with things, but…why do they hate AEW so much? Even if you’re a New Japan purist, as a western wrestling fan AEW isn’t going to be that offensive to your sensibilities, is it…?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Answers Me posted:

why do they hate AEW so much?

it's sucked hard for the last year

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Answers Me posted:

I started listening to VoW’s Super J Cast recently, and it’s a pretty fun way of keeping up with things, but…why do they hate AEW so much? Even if you’re a New Japan purist, as a western wrestling fan AEW isn’t going to be that offensive to your sensibilities, is it…?

If you only watch New Japan, AEW has had a very direct, very negative effect on your wrestling experience.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Answers Me posted:

NJPW fans seem to hate AEW for "poaching all their top guys away" which seems wild considering in every single case it was someone who was leaving regardless and if AEW didn't exist they'd all be in WWE never to be seen again.

Seven Deadly Sins
Apr 5, 2009

I stole something that would make me fabulously wealthy...

But I eated it.
Some of the more hardcore NJPW fans have the vibe that US companies are treating NJPW as a bit of a "farm territory" for picking up their stars. WWE kinda started things by poaching AJ Styles, Shinsuke Nakamura, and KENTA, but then The Elite essentially gutted one of the top factions in the company to create their own promotion that almost entirely snuffed out NJPW's burgeoning US expansion. Basically every advantage that NJPW had in the US went down the drain as ROH mismanaged itself into oblivion and AEW took up a lot of the space in the room.

Despite working together moving forward, AEW has continued to take up space in the area, squashing their expansion plans, while also hoovering up their top stars at an alarming pace. Consider that all four participants in the two main events of Wrestle Kingdom 17 (Kenny Omega vs Will Ospreay and Jay White vs. Kazuchika Okada) are either full-time for AEW now or rumored to go there (Okada isn't decided but word has it he'll be there). At a time when the company is struggling to warm up, having their biggest talent constantly being drained by a company that can barely manage to use the talent that they currently have puts NJPW in a really lovely position.

Of course, WWE would have probably done all that damage alone, and they're continuing to do that damage by poaching / reabsorbing people that left the company, most notably recently with JONAH getting a big G1 push with a clean win over Okada, only to immediately go back to WWE to be The Miz's geek heavy midcarder, but AEW still gets flak from NJPW hardcores looking for excuses other than the obvious (COVID loving up the shows and ridiculous no-cheering COVID protocols keeping the product cold for longer than it needed to, plus their seeming unwillingness to push popular new talent and instead keep the upper card centered around okada / white / ibushi / naito / tana forever while relegating popular upper midcarders to geek stuff like KOPW, which never got taken seriously outside of some of Shingo's run with it).

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

the hardcore NJPW fans used to act so annoyed about the newbie fans the elite were bringing to the product, they should be more thankful they left and brought their fans with them IMO

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

wrestlers time and time again that chose to leave njpw for aew will bring up njpw's refusal to pursue multi year contracts as the main reason they left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones
Wrestling weebs are as big of weirdos as Fed stans tbh. NJPW and AEW have always had a symbiotic relationship. They're probably more than happy that AEW is signing the big stars they can't afford anymore since there's still a high likelihood that AEW will lend them to NJPW for big events (see Kenny vs. Ospreay at Wrestle Kingdom 17), in addition to all the other non-NJPW wrestlers AEW would send over to perform there like Mox and Danielson.