Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

It's nice to see Robin and Crocodile burying the hatchet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, between Gear 5 Luffy, Bonney now having an army of Pacifistas at her command, and the arrival of Dorry and Broggy it's safe to say this Buster Call ain't getting off the ground

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Larryb posted:

Yeah, between Gear 5 Luffy, Bonney now having an army of Pacifistas at her command, and the arrival of Dorry and Broggy it's safe to say this Buster Call ain't getting off the ground

busted call

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Kizaru fuckin sucks, dude

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Shinjobi posted:

Kizaru fuckin sucks, dude

I'm honestly baffled by people who want him to be a 8th dimensional chess good guy. He's awful.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I'm honestly baffled by people who want him to be a 8th dimensional chess good guy. He's awful.

The flashbacks showed him being very fun and friendly with the good guy characters we're rooting for. And then there was the mystery of who got Luffy all the food that seemed to be Kizaru. And there's a few instances of him seemingly letting people go without putting in the effort to be particularly dutiful to his role, like when he just fired off a weak rear end shotgun at Luffy and Law during marineford or when he was messing around on Sabaody.

He seems like the middle point between Sakazuki's extreme belief in the system and Kuzan's outright bucking of it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
All he did this arc until this chapter was fight luffy poorly and make a mess. You'll hear a lot less of it now that he's tried to kill bonney.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Sub Harrison posted:

Coverpage confirms that Lacoste clothing brand is canon.

We're in peak One Piece now. 25 years worth of old characters all showing up for the final arc.

The next 250 chapters are gonna be full of old characters showing up and it’s gonna be hype every. single. time.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Saturn is totally gonna kick the bucket on Chapter 1111

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

That's an amazing find

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

new thread title: I’ve got a crew full of daddies

copy
Jul 26, 2007

lol thats sick

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>
#include <SaberToothed_Tiger.h>
#include <Tyrannosaurus.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice

Oh well, not exactly how I thought it would go, but I still really like that's how it ended up; none of the Kumas being able to harm Bonney.

It's a good "sheer loving hubris" moment for Saturn as well. It always seemed kinda a mistake to make an army of genetic clones based on a Buccaneer, when they've stated they want them wiped out. Thinking they could control these ones instead, and a human trait of love being what led to the whole army turning on them.

Someone said something earlier about Kizaru firmly believing no rebellion against the WG would succeed, and that sounds to me to have the right of it. I think he did sneak Luffy the food, he's not above sometimes testing a tip of the scales, but he'd never publicly rebel himself.

Also...
gently caress YEAH DORRY AND BROGGY!!!! gently caress THOSE TINY MARINE BOATS UP!!!

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

People are projecting hard with Kizaru in this thread, sometimes a shitheel's a shitheel fellas :shrug:

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

great ch.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Saturn: I want an army of perfectly obedient robot super soldiers.

Vegapunk: ok. might not be perfectly obedient to you tho

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Kizaru is a lot more hardcore with his boss Saturn hanging over his shoulder. I think it’s been pretty clear he doesn’t like some of his orders, but he will follow through without hesitation either due to a sense of justice, duty, or not wanting to get on bad terms with what seems to be The Actual Devil #3 out of 5.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>
#include <SaberToothed_Tiger.h>
#include <Tyrannosaurus.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice

Oh yeah, I'm not saying Kizaru isn't a villain. Whatever hangups he may have been showing lately, he still seems unwilling to disobey orders, and is definitely going to get knocked the gently caress out like one.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

ThingOne posted:

Saturn's so detached from humanity that it probably didn't even occur to him that Vegapunk might put somebody else at the top of the hierarchy.

He probably had Vegapunk test the pacifistas in front of him and have his commands override Vega's and Sentomaru's but didn't count on the highest clearance going for someone that WASN'T there. That being said, why Vegapunk simply didn't put a code that let him override the Gorousei?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

White Light posted:

People are projecting hard with Kizaru in this thread, sometimes a shitheel's a shitheel fellas :shrug:

Speculating on a characters motivations/next moves when the author has emphasized multiple times how they're conflicted is not "projecting" my man.

Ronnz
Mar 6, 2010

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Hey. One Piece is pretty good.

:tviv: :piss:

White Light posted:

I... don't think this is projection? It's reasonable to assume there's something unresolved with Kizaru's arc here.

Also it's perfectly okay for people to want a shitheel to end their shitheel ways and help the non-shitheels.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

That panel of the Giant ship absolutely looming over the Navy warships is an image that's gonna stick with me. So loving cool.

White Light posted:

Listen, he was at least going to kill Bonney painlessly. Does he not get credit for that?

But for real, he's got at least a glimmer of humanity in him somewhere. I wouldn't say for sure he's being set up for total redemption or anything. He could just be an example of the type of person who doesn't think humans are bugs, nevertheless following the orders of someone who does, because that on its own is sad and hosed up, whether you can see his perspective or not.

But I would still say it's more likely he gets some sort of redeeming moment than he just goes down as a shitheel to the end.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

My gut says at this point Kizaru ends up like that fate guy in the Wano arc where he's long since realized he's on the wrong side but can't bring himself to shift from the path he's on. Can't see the Straw Hats ending him, but easily could see him making it out only to be killed by Saturn or other Elder 5 for failing his mission. Setup is definitely either going tragic or redemptive tho.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Speculating on a characters motivations/next moves when the author has emphasized multiple times how they're conflicted is not "projecting" my man.

I dont think it matters a lick when he pops up to kill a child without much resistance

He could feel bad about it. Cool, so he's not king shithead of garbageman island. Still sucks.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Someone fed Luffy, and Borsalino's the most obvious answer. It's possible that it was in fact someone else, but a lot of the people we know was currently there was pinned down or otherwise unlikely to help.

edit: not saying that he ISN'T a piece of poo poo, of course. But something's funny.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Goons jumping through hoops to avoid admitting that Caribou saved the day again

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

I dont think it matters a lick when he pops up to kill a child without much resistance

He could feel bad about it. Cool, so he's not king shithead of garbageman island. Still sucks.
This isn't just a binary of 'good' or 'bad'. Saying "he could have some redemption" is not the same as saying he's secretly good. Pointing out that he sucks for what he's doing now is unrelated to considering his internal conflict and how it may inform his future actions.

Basically, if you're saying, "His conflict is irrelevant, he sucks," then I'm saying the fact that he sucks is irrelevant, he's still got a conflict. Clearly he has a conflict and sucks. We're just saying two different things.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Shinjobi posted:

I mean, yeah, you can entirely disregard the emphasis Oda's putting on him having reservations and assume there'll be no resolution to that.

quote:

Basically, if you're saying, "His conflict is irrelevant, he sucks," then I'm saying the fact that he sucks is irrelevant, he's still got a conflict. Clearly he has a conflict and sucks. We're just saying two different things.

Yeah.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
this chapter rules kizaru out as the person who fed luffy, since luffy would never sucker punch someone who just fed him

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

this chapter sucks away any doubt I had that Vegapunk wouldn't get off this island alive

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Scholtz posted:

this chapter sucks away any doubt I had that Vegapunk wouldn't get off this island alive

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Scholtz posted:

Saturn is totally gonna kick the bucket on Chapter 1111

Zoro will probably be the one to kill him then.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Actually now that I think about it I could see Saturn surviving Egghead. Mainly because having the Straw Hat Crew go up against the Elders while Luffy is busy with Imu would fit the usual arc structure, and also Franky has been getting beat up so much during this fight in particular I could see him having a science vs. science themed battle later on.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
Big robot is also about to do some poo poo! Originally I thought the big robot was going to be helping the crew but maybe he was originally created to stop Joy Boy? Then he only fires up when the threat of Joy Boy returns? I'm not sure how that matches up with Luffy already going to gear five to stop Lucci, but it would give the giants something to try to handle.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Havoc904 posted:

Big robot is also about to do some poo poo! Originally I thought the big robot was going to be helping the crew but maybe he was originally created to stop Joy Boy? Then he only fires up when the threat of Joy Boy returns? I'm not sure how that matches up with Luffy already going to gear five to stop Lucci, but it would give the giants something to try to handle.

Yeah I was thinking something along those lines as well.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Unclear Justice guy feeling too hazy about where he's going with this is probably fitting. For my money I think he's just sandbagging a touch still hoping Luffy can block him and still save him some face with his boss, but i think he also would have given them the chop? It's very half assed way of feeling bad about your orders and trying to weasel out of them but Borsalino has never felt like he was putting his whole rear end into anything anyway.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

CatstropheWaitress posted:

I mean, yeah, you can entirely disregard the emphasis Oda's putting on him having reservations and assume there'll be no resolution to that.

I have not found Kizaru interesting beyond his devil fruit despite this arc trying its best. You're welcome to feel differently. I just think Akainu and Aokiji have intrigued me more with the time they're given. A little unfair in Akainu's case, I'll admit, but still.

So yeah, this chapter and his role in it have kinda closed the door for me on him. Not really sure how you can come back from that, even if Kizaru feels bad about it deep inside.

Full disclosure, the reluctant badguy isn't typically a character that manages to interest me. It's come up in other series and most of the time it does not land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Paper Lion posted:

dorry and broggy were my second guess on who was coming to get them since elbaph is nearby, theyd have seen the newspaper the same as the grand fleet theory, and we saw them getting ready to leave anyways during the brutal owning of hugeass craptain shidd. the real surprise about them is THEY FUCKIN KNOW??? THEY KNOW THE DEAL???

Anyone familiar with Nika probably knows what's up as soon as they hear the drums. Just like Zunisha and the Giant Robot.

My guess is that Stella Vegapunk makes it through via transferring his consciousness to the Giant Robot.

Also I don't think Boney is getting a crew of dads because the Pacifista are too weak. However she's probably coming out of this with S-Bear, her Dad-bro.