Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

sharkmafia posted:

I like this arc fine but I get why people might not. frieren basically has two modes and you don't have to like both of them; I think it's worth watching even if you only like one

I definitely enjoy both. I do feel like the pacing is a little sluggish right now -- I'm enjoying it but suspect it could have been done a little more compactly and still accomplish what it's accomplishing.

On the other hand, so much entertainment nowadays never, ever stops to breathe, so I don't want to complain too much when a show is willing to take its time getting somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
on the frieren anime: I was a big big fan of the deadpan stuff in the manga, especially when it expanding from our trio of characters to an entire society, got a real kick out of it. but with the anime, the lushness of the adaptation throws the fealty to the ice-cold, stiff faces & expressions of most of the characters into even greater relief such that I vacillate between thinking it's dumb to being even more hilarious

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 8 days!)

Southern Cassowary posted:

the spleen is the vestigial human tail

Remember a thing where
It’s like people fall on their butt and go “my spleen!”

Wonder where that was from

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
"My spleen" was a cheap comedic exclamation of pain because "spleen" is a superficially funny-sounding word. It's largely an artifact of the era of monkeycheese.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Frieren is already one of my favorite anime ever. I don’t know why but the mix of spirituality, feminine energy, and general vibe are impeccable. There’s nothing else like it that I’ve seen at least.

I’m incredibly hype for the exam arc and cannot wait for tomorrow’s fight with Denken.

The only show that has me more hype than Frieren is Fate Strange/Fake, which had my jaw on the floor for the entire run time. It even has an incredible dub cast. I watch it like once every 6 weeks.

Anime fans eating so good.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Caphi posted:

"My spleen" was a cheap comedic exclamation of pain because "spleen" is a superficially funny-sounding word. It's largely an artifact of the era of monkeycheese.

Thought it was a Simpsons quote

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Thought it was a Simpsons quote

"Monkeycheese" and "Simpsons quote" aren't mutually exclusive. ("Purple monkey dishwasher!")

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

GateOfD posted:

Remember a thing where
It’s like people fall on their butt and go “my spleen!”

Wonder where that was from

ive only ever heard that when someone gets hit in the side

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Wouldn't that be kidneys?

When I hear spleen I think of the Chaos Cultists from Dawn of War since one of their audio barks is screaming that their spleen has exploded.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

lol at all the manga spoilers for Frieren

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I was really hoping for some bloodshed but my expectations have been seriously tempered at this point

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvCnFpfmgg4

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Laios is a very strange man but his mollusc friend is adorable.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

sb hermit posted:

lol at all the manga spoilers for Frieren

i dropped off Frieren (not do to disliking it but my group stopped watching anime together a month or so ago) and didn't notice, uhhhh i thought it went without saying but spoiler that poo poo from here on out ty

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Caphi posted:

Another aspect of the joke is that you'd have no idea if it was your spleen in particular hurting because it's an unassuming internal organ.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Spleen is an organ most people know of only by reputation in that's it's an organ you can pretty safely lose.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
post frieren in the frieren threads, theres one for the anime where you get probed for spoilers from manga and one for the manga where you can actually talk about the manga

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Frieren day and Pii-Chan day.

Spent a few episodes in magic world in Pii-chan, hopefully we get a bunch in esper time now.

also, guess I missed it, but gonna start episode 1 of Weakest Tamer recruits trash

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Peeps suddenly went dark with the magical girl skinning the fairy :aaa:

Trash collecting tamer is pretty decent, just be ready for a bit of tonal clash, jumping from sugary fun to "we are going to burn the protagonist at the stake" every now and then.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

SlowBloke posted:

Trash collecting tamer is pretty decent, just be ready for a bit of tonal clash, jumping from sugary fun to "we are going to burn the protagonist at the stake" every now and then.

Ep1 definitely tried to appeal to the emotions with the ‘weakest slime’
Someone protect her smile.

It’s an interesting take on the reincarnation isekai where the reincarnation is just a voice in her head and the POV is her, so kind of a two souls deal

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Incredibly good ED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bjf06vSKGJM

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

the artwork and character design also very nice overall

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The Wrong Way to Use Healing Magic is good fun if anyone is looking for a lighthearted fantasy/isekai.

Basic story: a random highschool kid accidentally gets isekai'd when two of his schoolmates get summoned to be heroes and he gets caught in the spell. It turns out he has healing magic and he's instantly claimed by the kingdom's crazy healer to join her team of wartime EMTs whose job is to rescue injured soldiers on the frontline when armies clash, and it turns out her method of training healers is an insanely over-the-top bootcamp training regime.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SlowBloke posted:

Yeah that episode went places I wasn't expecting

Feels like the writer wasn't sure which genre they wanted so they just kept piling more on, lol

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
sasaki being forced to juggle several plotlines while maintaining his cover as a government agent is the premise of the series. we haven't gotten to all of the genres yet.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Just saying A Sign of Affection continues to be really good.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Stink Billyums posted:

sasaki being forced to juggle several plotlines while maintaining his cover as a government agent is the premise of the series. we haven't gotten to all of the genres yet.

the va being Kyon fits pretty well

i feel like we're gonna end up running into aliens and time travelers eventually.

Starting episode 2 of Weakest Tamer. Keep on fighting.

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 3, 2024

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

GateOfD posted:

Starting episode 2 of Weakest Tamer. Keep on fighting.

Faito! :yaycat:

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The Wrong Way to Use Healing Magic is good fun if anyone is looking for a lighthearted fantasy/isekai.

Basic story: a random highschool kid accidentally gets isekai'd when two of his schoolmates get summoned to be heroes and he gets caught in the spell. It turns out he has healing magic and he's instantly claimed by the kingdom's crazy healer to join her team of wartime EMTs whose job is to rescue injured soldiers on the frontline when armies clash, and it turns out her method of training healers is an insanely over-the-top bootcamp training regime.

Yeah this one is fun!

The Black Stones posted:

Just saying A Sign of Affection continues to be really good.

And this one is also fun!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The highlight of Healing Magic is how incredibly jazzed isekai girl gets whenever an isekai thing happens.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

It is honestly amazing that my brother and I have such opposite taste in anime. He wouldnt stop bugging me to watch Solo Leveling, Classroom of the Elite, and Undead Adventurer. So I gave all of them a 3 episode test and didnt find much in any of them. Also I really hate shows with video game stuff like menus and inventory and leveling now apparently.

Meanwhile I ask him to watch Sign of Affection and Dark Gathering and he wont even watch one episode calling them girly and childish, respectively.

At least we both like Mashle so it isnt a total wash.

e: Im still trying to get him to watch Dungeon Meshi but I may lose that battle too. :negative:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Furnaceface posted:

It is honestly amazing that my brother and I have such opposite taste in anime. He wouldnt stop bugging me to watch Solo Leveling, Classroom of the Elite, and Undead Adventurer. So I gave all of them a 3 episode test and didnt find much in any of them. Also I really hate shows with video game stuff like menus and inventory and leveling now apparently.

Meanwhile I ask him to watch Sign of Affection and Dark Gathering and he wont even watch one episode calling them girly and childish, respectively.

De gustibus non est disputandum.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

Tbf Sign does have plain girls and dazzling boys.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

nielsm posted:

Tbf Sign does have plain girls and dazzling boys.

What

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Everybody very beautiful

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Furnaceface posted:

e: Im still trying to get him to watch Dungeon Meshi but I may lose that battle too. :negative:

I’m afraid you’re going to have to disown him.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I just don't recommend anything to my brother. He loved season 1 of Vinland Saga after I suggested he try it and then he absolutely despised Season 2 which told me a lot about his tastes.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I think Sign is a perfectly fine and beautiful show that also chafes with me. Yuki is really sheltered and so doesn't have a lot going on aside from throwing herself into the Itsuomi obsession, which all tracks but isn't something I really find compelling. Their dynamic is getting more give-and-take now and the show just has a nice vibe so I'm getting over it, but I think without being able to basically binge this first half I would've dropped.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Furnaceface posted:

Undead Adventurer and maybe Dark Gathering and Sign of Affection and Dungeon Meshi are my picks. I know nothing of Dark Gathering and Sign of Affection other than the latter is very fluffy and nice. Never got into Mashle and Vindland Saga is in my perpetual "will watch at some point list".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Sindai posted:

The highlight of Healing Magic is how incredibly jazzed isekai girl gets whenever an isekai thing happens.

She wants to pat blurin so badly, even just that brief touch of his foot beans made her squee