Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

MGS4 is so soul savingly masterpiece material, but nothing is for everyone, divisive art by a maestro hell yes.

"At one point, Metal Gear Solid 4 also held two different Guinness World Records for the length of its cutscenes; the longest cutscene at 27 minutes and the longest sequence of cutscenes at 71 minutes."

I'd love a bonus 90 min Hideo movie at the end of any game, but for the record I guess the longest direct chunk is 27 mins in that? I haven't measured it like the Guinness gang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
I took my turn making fun of the dumb poster, but it's obvious they like the attention. So now I'm done.

Back to fun video games!

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

You call it endless cutscene hell, I call it endless cutscene heaven

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Outer Cutscene Heaven! A haven for the gamer.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

History Comes Inside! posted:

I don’t mind infinite cutscene hell but slow dialogue boxes absolutely kill me.

I can genuinely read really loving fast so I’m not out here trying to just blindly mash my way back to the action, for fucks sake just let me max out that text speed and x my way through it you are torturing me to death with this slow scrolling bullshit.

Part of this is how small the dialogue boxes are. Give it to me like a Bendis comic and take up the whole right side of the screen with it. If I don't want to read it I'll skip a huge chunk in one go but if I want to read it I can at my own pace without mashing buttons. Nobody wants to read a novel tapping buttons after each sentence.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
the new YLAD actually does realize how ridiculously their cutscene lengths get because in the middle of like a 10+ minute cutscene the character will go "What do you think, Ichiban?" and then even though you're in a small room and can't leave or do anything but talk to them you can say "Hold on." and then take a moment to save before launching into the next 10+ minute scene

so they still have the same "gently caress you, watch our movie" mentality but they've at least learned to give you a couple breaks in there lol

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

mysterious frankie posted:

The 8 series is good, but I’m also in the “wish I had waited” camp. Partially because a month after spending money on it during Covid I got laid off so I sort of felt like a major rear end in a top hat for a while whenever I looked at it, and partially because I started making more money with the next job and the OLEDs are insane, but not enough money that I’ll just throw away a working tv because a different tv looks neat. It works fine, but I secretly wish it would tip off the entertainment center and break so my hand was forced.

Question for anyone who has owned a luxury television for a few years: does menu navigation get increasingly lovely over time and if so, how long did it take? The TCL menus get slower and more unstable every year, and it started within the first year. I’m wondering if that’s just a cheap tv problem, or if someday I’m going to spend three grand on a television and have that problem follow me.

I’d like an OLED too but knowing me I’d just be too careful with burn in all the time.

Mr Hootington posted:

Oof. I'm skipping it. I don't really enjoy team ninja games.

I think the combat in their games is always incredible but everything else lags behind. This seems like their attempt to have more than just good combat but we’ll see, it’s their also first attempt at an open world from what I know.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ShoogaSlim posted:

yakuza like a dragon is 11 bucks on psn and i was tempted to buy it bc im intrigued by the series. but these last few replies are making me a-ok with probably never bothering.

there should be a distinction when posting/talking about games between enjoying one bc it's really satisfying to control mechanically (celeste, neon white, doom eternal) vs a game you enjoy bc you're swept up in the narrative (i have no examples bc i don't prefer games like this)

Once you're woken up by a hobo the cutscenes calm down for a good while so if that's all that's keeping you from playing LAD then just watch them on YouTube or something where you have finer control over them than just To Skip or Not to Skip.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Genuinely, the battles are what I want to skip in 7 (and I assume 8). I want a GameShark for insta win battles and no more RPG grind, though there is auto battle. For whatever reason I like the beat em up combat more, but actually I do want an interactive movie / adventure game of talking to people most in these new Like a Dragons. The cutscenes are absolutely the best part of the game, including the side quest funny bits too.

For the record I do play Street Fighter 6, so I like things other than cutscenes in games too.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 2, 2024

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Heavy Metal posted:

MGS4 is so soul savingly masterpiece material, but nothing is for everyone, divisive art by a maestro hell yes.

"At one point, Metal Gear Solid 4 also held two different Guinness World Records for the length of its cutscenes; the longest cutscene at 27 minutes and the longest sequence of cutscenes at 71 minutes."

I'd love a bonus 90 min Hideo movie at the end of any game, but for the record I guess the longest direct chunk is 27 mins in that? I haven't measured it like the Guinness gang.

Didn’t read other posts but agree with this whole heartedly. Mgs4 is fuckin insane and brilliant and problematic and perfect.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Compress your audio

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Didn’t read other posts but agree with this whole heartedly. Mgs4 is fuckin insane and brilliant and problematic and perfect.

Hell yeah Hideo represent

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Mr Hootington posted:

Compress your audio

Yeah about that:

https://docs.unrealengine.com/5.0/en-US/audio-engine-overview-in-unreal-engine/

quote:

Internally, Unreal Engine stores the imported audio file in a 16-bit, uncompressed .wav format.

Unreal literally will not. :v:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Carry on

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I see Like A Dragon Hero Edition is $18 right now.

What do these mean?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

.wav's about to hit my console like a tsunami.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Mr Hootington posted:

Compress your audio

I want it to sound like the original ff12 where everyone sounded like they were delivering their lines through a landline

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
as an absolute sicko i play for story above all else i get so pumped when a game starts with like 2 hrs of cutscenes. i know im in for a treat when that happens. Weirdly i've never played a yakuza game. I should get to that.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

lol internally does not mean a shipped game, that just means in the dev build. Read all the way to the end of your link where it talks about compressing to platform. It uses sonys PS5 audio compression when you export a PS5 build.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

cubicle gangster posted:

lol internally does not mean a shipped game, that just means in the dev build. Read all the way to the end of your link where it talks about compressing to platform. It uses sonys PS5 audio compression when you export a PS5 build.

Neat! Y’know in years of screwing with Unreal I literally never knew that. (Then again it’s not like I’m actually publishing anything so it’s easier to miss that way. :v: )

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Steve Yun posted:

I see Like A Dragon Hero Edition is $18 right now.

What do these mean?

Job set = the 2 DLC jobs
Crafting Mat set = stuff for crafting weapons
Management set = extra staff to use in the management minigame that makes it even easier
Karaoke set = extra karaoke songs
Costume set = more costumes, just cosmetics.
Stat boost set = some drinks to give you +1 in HP, MP, etc. Useful but not gamebreaking.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Yep, that's two discs all right.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Skipping cutscenes in Yakuza 0? How will you know how much you love and hate Kuze?

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Really enjoying the Infinite Wealth cutscenes, but I'm in Chapter 4 (or maybe Chapter 3?) now and just want more A plot instead of getting constantly peppered by substories every 5 steps. Give me more cutscenes

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Kefa posted:

I’d like an OLED too but knowing me I’d just be too careful with burn in all the time.

I’ve heard rumors that the 2024 A95Ls are switching to Mini LED, which would help prevent burn in, but isn’t the image quality on OLED supposed to be markedly better? Those tvs are Sony’s flagship model and pricey as poo poo, so I imagine they gotta be working some miracles here with the technology, or the rumor is bunk.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I actually do appreciate how much Infinite Wealth goes "hey if you trigger the next thing you're going to get railroaded into something for a long loving time."

And yeah measuring the time of cutscenes is weird when you consider how many games have a thing where it's broken up by having your character walk to the next checkpoint but you don't actually have the ability to do anything else so there isn't really a meaningful difference if it had been made into a single giant cutscene. I think in Death Stranding 1, from the point you're past the last point in the game where you're actually in danger to the time the credits finish rolling, it's something like 2 hours.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.

Kefa posted:

This is my personal anecdote of course but in the nearly 3 years of owning an LG CX I have seen zero burn-in, and I’ve played loads of games, including off retro consoles, and watched tons of twitch.tv in that time.

I did make a handy shortcut to turn off the screen via the remote when I leave the room for any extended period of time (TV is still on and making sound, just no image), but this probably gets countered by all the times I’ve accidentally fallen asleep with a game up in my more excessive edible using days

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the LG CX and newer models have a bunch of little features to reduce burn-in risk. you don't want to play the same game for 1000+ hours on one or anything but for general use they should last about as long as any other flatscreen

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hear me out guys… games where the on-screen status displays periodically move around and the camera switches position to avoid burn-in

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I haven’t posted in a long time but that Death Stranding 2 trailer is unbelievably good. Death Stranding is one of my all time favorite games. Sincerely, Top 5, for sure. I’ve played through it two times; the first was 70 hours and the second I five star’d every prepper and did everything I could do and it was over 100. And I’d do it all over again in a heart beat. I was legitimately sad to break away from that family of characters.

I am kind of amazed Stellar Blade would do the hyper bouncy jug boobs in TYOL 2024. It’s absurd. The physics simulation they’re using is, “simulate a pound of water sloshing around in a ziploc bag on the ISS.” The whole thing is lazy. They should consider focusing on improving the plot, the gameplay/combat, maybe differentiating it at least a bit from Devil May Cry. If they did even one of those competently they could tone down the jug jiggle and still hit the sale numbers they’re aiming for. In fact, I’d go so far as to say nobody should pre-order Stellar Blade until the reviews are out. Needing hyper jiggle wiggle wiggle is dictation enough the game sorely lacks substance. Comparatively, I’m playing Cyberpunk 2077 right now (phenomenal game now, DLC is great, I can’t get enough of the nooks and crannies of the city) and Panam’s breasts move so little the physics might as well be simulating a stack of printer paper.

And that game’s sold millions of copies. Because it’s got it where it counts. It makes you think, maybe sex doesn’t sell anymore.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I have an OLED monitor and it got a minor case of burn-in where the taskbar buttons were sitting stationary all the time for like a year. I auto-hide the taskbar now and other than that I haven't seen any real evidence of burn-in. I don't even notice the burn-in that is there except on solid spans of specific colors (like a dark greyish-purple, first noticed it in the driving cutscenes in Alan Wake 2). It does suck that it's an issue but the quality and contrast is so good that I barely even care. It's something I will put up with.

I also just recently got a LG C2 and considering how much less I use the TV with stationary elements on it, I have basically zero worry about burn-in there.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Integrate the UI elements into the world like ghost of Tsushima

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I want it to sound like the original ff12 where everyone sounded like they were delivering their lines through a landline

As I am now ancient in body and spirit with requisite technological regression I will clap back and say that unless it's damaged a landline sounds utterly superior in every way to the average cellular call. It was one of the first things I made note of when I had both to compare. Wireless telephony sounds like absolute poo poo in comparison to how crisp calls used to be on good infrastructure, even long distance. Don't get me started on how poo poo the digital switch was for broadcast television, which used to be largely watchable even with poor signal and a bit of static.

Finally, rotary phones rule and are the Dark Souls of phones.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Blind Rasputin posted:

I haven’t posted in a long time but that Death Stranding 2 trailer is unbelievably good. Death Stranding is one of my all time favorite games. Sincerely, Top 5, for sure. I’ve played through it two times; the first was 70 hours and the second I five star’d every prepper and did everything I could do and it was over 100. And I’d do it all over again in a heart beat. I was legitimately sad to break away from that family of characters.

I am kind of amazed Stellar Blade would do the hyper bouncy jug boobs in TYOL 2024. It’s absurd. The physics simulation they’re using is, “simulate a pound of water sloshing around in a ziploc bag on the ISS.” The whole thing is lazy. They should consider focusing on improving the plot, the gameplay/combat, maybe differentiating it at least a bit from Devil May Cry. If they did even one of those competently they could tone down the jug jiggle and still hit the sale numbers they’re aiming for. In fact, I’d go so far as to say nobody should pre-order Stellar Blade until the reviews are out. Needing hyper jiggle wiggle wiggle is dictation enough the game sorely lacks substance. Comparatively, I’m playing Cyberpunk 2077 right now (phenomenal game now, DLC is great, I can’t get enough of the nooks and crannies of the city) and Panam’s breasts move so little the physics might as well be simulating a stack of printer paper.

And that game’s sold millions of copies. Because it’s got it where it counts. It makes you think, maybe sex doesn’t sell anymore.

I've missed you.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Blind Rasputin posted:

the stellar blade devs made a mobile game that makes 50 million a month on the back of rear end jiggle physics when girls shoot a gun so i dont think this is true

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

As I am now ancient in body and spirit with requisite technological regression I will clap back and say that unless it's damaged a landline sounds utterly superior in every way to the average cellular call. It was one of the first things I made note of when I had both to compare. Wireless telephony sounds like absolute poo poo in comparison to how crisp calls used to be on good infrastructure, even long distance. Don't get me started on how poo poo the digital switch was for broadcast television, which used to be largely watchable even with poor signal and a bit of static.

Finally, rotary phones rule and are the Dark Souls of phones.

Sorry for besmirching the honor of landlines

The last time I used one was in Hawaii 20 years ago and it sounded awful

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Stellar Blade, like Bayonetta, will shift copies based on t&a.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Endorph posted:

the stellar blade devs made a mobile game that makes 50 million a month on the back of rear end jiggle physics when girls shoot a gun so i dont think this is true

had no idea it was the NIKKE dev

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Sorry for besmirching the honor of landlines

The last time I used one was in Hawaii 20 years ago and it sounded awful

otoh, one of my family members used to have a landline in an old house that was hard to address and I guess it had water in it or something because it clicked non-stop. In the end I just really miss when I used to call my grandparents way back when and they would be talking on different phones in different rooms on the same line, like one big group chat, except more yelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rinkles posted:

had no idea it was the NIKKE dev

yea its shift up