Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best in franchise
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Namtab
View Results

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

symbolic posted:

i am too american and/or zoomer to know wtf this means

american

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'll be honest, I don't even know what fountaingate is

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I'll be honest, I don't even know what fountaingate is

mall in melbourne

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Let's talk about Australian anime. There's uh... Deltora Quest I guess. And the Australian priest in Ghost Hunt?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

there's at least one episode of a place further than the universe there iirc

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It gets blown up in a gundam I think

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Woah one of the Free boys was Australian. That's cool

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It gets blown up in a gundam I think

sydney mercifully put out of its misery in 0079UC

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

kirbysuperstar posted:

sydney mercifully put out of its misery in 0079UC

Colony drop, not even a crater left, just a big stretch of ocean where Sydney used to be.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Willo567 posted:

I want to see an anime where between seasons the genre changes completely

Samurai Flamenco?

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I just finished reading Dead Dead Demons Dededestruction like ten minutes ago, speaking of things that change genres. I was keeping up with it then forgot about it just before things got weird. In fact I think it got a bit too weird, but I like the main cast a lot.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Sleng Teng posted:

Anyway, I think we can agree that at least to some extent: calvin and hobbes ftw? yeah?

Yeah

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

panko posted:

got a new tattoo on wednesday. its healing well at present day. present time

Cool. I hope every time you look at it you hear Duvet, by Boa.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Arist posted:

That's apparently counterbalanced by some of the American characters being comically terrible at speaking English in the subbed version from what I hear though.

It's actually really uneven but in a way I find charming. Like all the random thugs or bit characters? Pretty good english, still kind of stilted but it doesn't sound heavily accented. But major characters? All insanely terrible.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bryce is especially terrible just because he has so many English speaking bits.
I assume it's because they could get anyone for bit parts and just grabbed people who could do good English but the major roles have to be established people and good English is optional lol

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Tbh the background Hawaii enemies are probably just straight up American actors, though it does beg the question of why they didn’t just ask a bilingual voice actor to do the EN/JP voices for those characters when you’re paying for Danny Trejo and Daniel Dae Kim.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Let's talk about Australian anime. There's uh... Deltora Quest I guess. And the Australian priest in Ghost Hunt?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Why does Jabba the Hutt hate Australia?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Arc Hammer posted:

why shouldnt he

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Arc Hammer posted:

jabba doesn't hate australia. shot weapon does. shot weapon is an illegal weapons manufacturer who was born in california but was exiled to australia, where he met his cohort, jabba. later shot weapon was teleported into the fantasy world of byston well, where he combined the magical powers of the land with his weapons manufacturing knowledge to create giant robots. his plan was to work under an evil duke manufacturing robots for him and aiding him in taking over the world, so that he could one day return to his own world and use the robots to get his revenge. when shot weapon ultimately dies at the end of the series, he comes back in byston well untold centuries later as an immortal lich and builds a nuclear missile silo with the intent of warping the nukes onto earth to cross-dimensionally nuke it, but ultimately is finally destroyed for good when his nukes detonate with him inside them

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

The Colonel posted:

he comes back in byston well untold centuries later as an immortal lich and builds a nuclear missile silo with the intent of warping the nukes onto earth to cross-dimensionally nuke it, but ultimately is finally destroyed for good when his nukes detonate with him inside them

Hate it when that happens.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
his death scene in neo dunbine may actually be the worst instance of flashing lights i have ever seen in an anime before. it's worse than electric soldier porygon, it's worse than gaogaigar, it's worse than that one bit from ruin explorers that also hurt my eyes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's actually really uneven but in a way I find charming. Like all the random thugs or bit characters? Pretty good english, still kind of stilted but it doesn't sound heavily accented. But major characters? All insanely terrible.
iirc for some of the bit character/random thugs they just cast the dub VAs and then reused those for the JP version which is why they sound decent

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Endorph posted:

iirc for some of the bit character/random thugs they just cast the dub VAs and then reused those for the JP version which is why they sound decent

Yeah, just like how the random thugs in Yokohama still have their JP VAs in the dub.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph posted:

They sound the same when they switch to speaking in Japanese tho...

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

happy persona day everyone

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Endorph posted:

jrpg but they made an interquel brawling game

also the clunkiness of 7's jrpg mechanics got 99% fixed

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Trowa Barton is very cool

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He's a clown

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Arc Hammer posted:

He's a clown

Trowa and Polka are teaching me that clowns are ftw

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Southern Cassowary posted:

:cheersdoge:

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Southern Cassowary posted:

Persona 3 ftw.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i'm 3h in and it seems great - i like all the new english voices except akihiko, who's fine but i liked liam o'brien better. this made it a real mindfuck when i got to the police station and i found out the cop who sells you weapons is just liam o'brien now

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

As much as I love P3 I don't know how well its aged. I some of the social links are pretty barebones and the stuff to do at night is pretty slim pickings.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Night is for wolfing down secret menu burgers

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Night is for wolfing down secret menu burgers
that's how i live my life

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Re:Link keeps crashing on cutscenes for me. It's so over.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

works fine on my machine

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
RahXephon has some standout episodes, and 11, where Ayato is imprisoned in an escapist dream, is certainly among them. The fake world feels so creepy and suffocatingly surreal without actually being unreal.

Numerous shots of Ayato staring pensively at his hand to go with the introspection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

hes so hosed up