Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
hooray for all the bad NYR trade options being taken off the board by other teams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Feel like a lot of teams were waiting to see if Monohan actually returned a 1st before they did anything big lol

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
https://twitter.com/user/status/1753450558231339052

Good job Brad, asset management, what's that?

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Misanthrope posted:

Lmmmmaaoooooooooo

Habs got 2 1st round picks for a guy who played less than 100 games for them

Simply amazing

Thank you Western Canadian teams

stab fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 2, 2024

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I get that when you're having a good year you go for it and all that. But--separate from the issue that Sean Monahan is not really an impact player--for a team like the Jets, the only way they are ever going to get a star on their team is by drafting one. Trading high picks for non-stars is IMO almost always a bad idea, but for Winnipeg it's an especially bad idea.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
hey good for the Canadiens you know. really not much more you can ask for there.

for the Jets? I'm not going to question them as much after what they did this summer leading to good results but this, uh, doesn't seem especially prudent

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
I truly hope Monahan is healthy and the Jets win the Stanley Cup of Hockey

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

Misanthrope posted:

Haha Yessss. Suzuki is gonna have to play 40 minutes/game the rest of the year though.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/magodin/status/1753298261211775248

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

I get that when you're having a good year you go for it and all that. But--separate from the issue that Sean Monahan is not really an impact player--for a team like the Jets, the only way they are ever going to get a star on their team is by drafting one. Trading high picks for non-stars is IMO almost always a bad idea, but for Winnipeg it's an especially bad idea.

They already have several stars. It's definitely an overpay, but the group they have now is getting old. They need to go for it now. No use saving picks.

Whether this is the move that helps them win I don't know. If it convinces Bones to play Ehlers and Perfetti more it is a win

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

second liner centre *squints* jake evans?

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1753456847095230504

how quickly they fall

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

What a seller’s market this season is

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Yeah if I'm Winnipeg I'm going all in this year. Those sheif and helly contracts are gonna get real bad real fast. Monahan will be fine if he's just depth.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

Cocaine Bear posted:

Yeah if I'm Winnipeg I'm going all in this year. Those sheif and helly contracts are gonna get real bad real fast. Monahan will be fine if he's just depth.

Yeah the jets have 2 or 3 years before all their best players are past their prime. Swing for the fences now. No point in keeping a draft pick that will be in the NHL when scheifele and helle are 36

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
If Monahan is a 1st + then what is Hanifin gonna get? Tabernouche

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Scheif being out exposed our awful center depth, even if it's an overpay and Monahan isn't really that good it's still an improvement

they've got $3m more cap space to play with so I wonder who else they add

FBS fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 2, 2024

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

mennoknight posted:

If Monahan is a 1st + then what is Hanifin gonna get? Tabernouche

re-signed for 8 years @ $60 million :cry:

Hopefully this means Tanev at least gets a 1st+

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

So long, Sean. You were cool. Gonna miss ya.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Surely no other team will hire McClellan now, right? Right???

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

fancy stats posted:

second liner centre *squints* jake evans?

Alex Newhook will be back... one day. I think.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/1753454978914533764

That is a conditional pick alright

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Go Jets

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

mennoknight posted:

I truly hope Monahan is healthy and the Jets win the Stanley Cup of Hockey

Outside Calgary, Winnipeg is my most acceptable Canadian cup winner by far

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Koopa Kid posted:

What a seller’s market this season is

I think specifically for centers
there's a lot of teams making a go of it with absolute trash on the second/third lines
Rangers, Avs, Lightning, maybe the Stars and Oilers are all having a hell of a season and their biggest weaknesses are in the middle (or their everything but McDavid)

Now they're in a race for Henrique I guess

or... Alex Wennberg seems like the only other option really, for short-term buys at least. Maybe Roslovic? The Jackets seem high on him though, and he's having a dogshit season anyhow

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Nic Dowd would be a great pickup for Edmonton. He has anchored a really good 4th line for years in DC and would make Edmonton's bottom 6 solid.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Brad Tre is going to trade a1st for Hanifin and Tanev and they will lead the Leafs to their second consecutive conference semifinals appearance (banner pending).

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Mind_Taker posted:

Nic Dowd would be a great pickup for Edmonton. He has anchored a really good 4th line for years in DC and would make Edmonton's bottom 6 solid.

I kinda want Drury to find a way to get him and Aube Kubel.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

Yeah they both make sense for NYR too.

I just hope Washington doesn't sit on Dowd while his value is at a peak. Sell him now.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

McLellan is an interesting case study.. his teams have always done well by the corsi / expected goals stats because of the way that he coaches emphasizing volume shot generation / suppression, but the results always seem way less than the sum of the parts at the end of the season. I think he's a good pick for making a rebuilding team respectable (Columbus should consider bringing him in for next year) but a coach that clearly has a defined ceiling.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

McLellan sucks rear end and I'm sad the Kings fired him

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I think specifically for centers
there's a lot of teams making a go of it with absolute trash on the second/third lines
Rangers, Avs, Lightning, maybe the Stars and Oilers are all having a hell of a season and their biggest weaknesses are in the middle (or their everything but McDavid)

Now they're in a race for Henrique I guess

or... Alex Wennberg seems like the only other option really, for short-term buys at least. Maybe Roslovic? The Jackets seem high on him though, and he's having a dogshit season anyhow

dumping a bunch of resources into trading for henrique seems terrible

I'd rather the Rangers take a swing on some youngish center who hasn't done great but has some solid underlying numbers. They mostly just need someone to be "not nick bonino or johnny brodzinski" and allow that third line to have a chance at generating some offensive pressure. Even if that 3C doesnt' score a ton of points just tilting that line more towards "can actually exist in the offensive zone" would be good.
Trochek is having a great year and you're not gonna magically replace Zibanejad...you're just hoping he wakes up at some point.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Roslovic outright is bad so I fully support the Rangers trading for him.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Roslovic outright is bad so I fully support the Rangers trading for him.

Luckily like MTL, they won't trade with Drury.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Matt Zerella posted:

I was reading on CapFriendly that Dowd and Lavi didn't have the best relationship. No idea how real it is, but it sucks if true, because the list of available centers is dwindling fast.

Levitate posted:

I'd rather the Rangers take a swing on some youngish center who hasn't done great but has some solid underlying numbers. They mostly just need someone to be "not nick bonino or johnny brodzinski" and allow that third line to have a chance at generating some offensive pressure. Even if that 3C doesnt' score a ton of points just tilting that line more towards "can actually exist in the offensive zone" would be good.

My "not gonna happen" dream was that they trade a 1st + mid-prospect for Frost from the Flyers. Torts seems to hate the kid for some reason and keeps scratching him, and at this point it looks like Torts is gonna be the Flyers coach for at least the next few years. Combine that with people saying the Flyers should be sellers at the deadline, it would be a good way for them to net a 1st rounder without losing any players that they plan on actually using.

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 2, 2024

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

I hope the Rangers make a smart, low key, move but I’m not gonna be surprised if they spend a lot for a pure rental. Sucks that they have to do this when they finally had solid center depth but that’s just the reality with the not-exactly-optimistic look at Chytil’s long term future. Said it before but man they’d be turbo-hosed if they didn’t pick up Vinny when they did.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
Stars are in a weird position with their prospects where they have like 3 bluechip can't miss types that the team is never going to trade away for a rental and then a bunch of chaff that are unlikely to ever make the NHL as regular players and probably nobody would rate as a major component of a trade. Their NHL roster is likewise either untouchables or overpaid veterans who would only be suitable as add-ons to make the salary balance out. They have Ty Dellandrea and Nils Lundkvist as young marginal players but stocks on both are so low based on their play.

They can probably offer a draft pick or two in a trade but with the prices seemingly what they are i don't know if that gets stuff done. Dallas might get frozen out of making the big splash on the blueline that fans want (Tanev or Chychrun) and may have to settle for some marginal 2nd pairing guy (Which tbh would still be a nice upgrade on Suter or Hakanpaa)

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 2, 2024

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

It's not the tournament we want and it sucks we're gonna miss some big players, but Canada-USA is the only reason I want to see a current best-on-best tournament anyway.

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

Jamwad Hilder posted:

It's not the tournament we want and it sucks we're gonna miss some big players, but Canada-USA is the only reason I want to see a current best-on-best tournament anyway.

Then boy are you in luck.

https://twitter.com/NHL/status/1753487225054990371

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Cheap and low impact? Boy do I have the player for you....