Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The Peccadillo posted:

I read Battle Royale because the movie was so good and boy howdy does it smartly occlude some nasty stuff

Like the baseball player and the twink are just kinda killed off screen. Wild poo poo goes down in the manga

Doubt I could get it up with my guts spilled out

Wait, did you read the novel or the manga? They’re two very different reads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I did not know it was a proper book

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Failed Imagineer posted:

I watched the "time travelling Muslims kill Jesus" movie because of chapo and it was actually sick

What is it? I’ve been pondering a time travel movie with Jesus. Not surprised it already exists.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Assassin 33 AD. hosed up they didn't call it like The Last Gospel or something

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Feb 2, 2024

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Even just like JUDAS

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The Peccadillo posted:

Assassin 33 AD. hosed up they didn't call it like The Last Gospel or something

I’ve been thinking about time travel and how
Infrequently it deals with how it could be misused, and one of the examples was religious fanatics (of all stripes) doing poo poo like that.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

The Peccadillo posted:

I did not know it was a proper book
Yeah you read the weird hosed up manga. The original novel is fairly readable.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/cartoonbrew/status/1753286702905663885?t=XvuG9Tti4wlktwRrUeNQuQ&s=19

That's a shame

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

I listen to the podcast for random chuckles, but their media takes have always been horrendous, and their politics are also heading down the drain since they went full post-Bernie nihilism.

I wouldn’t call it nihilism so much as they were kind of jolted back into realizing how little power they had and how little you can expect a podcast to affect change. Chapo may have attracted an audience based on their ideology but they don’t come there for actual organizing, they want to hear jokes and feel a parasocial connection (which is fine as long as you’re self-aware about it.) The episodes of Chapo that were about actual political action, even as little as interviewing a politician about politics, were always the least-listened to.

This is still kind of disappointing - I’d appreciate if they’d at least try - but it’s more understandable than just “oh well, Bernie lost, time to give up on leftism.”

Also I’m doing the MotM for February and I’m sorry it’s late but it’ll be up soon.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

The same animation team did a show that's kind of like Mike Judge's Space Ghost called In The Know. It's... odd but the animation is some of the coolest stuff made by human hands

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Feb 2, 2024

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah In the Know isn’t an amazing show (far too self-satisfied with its parody of woke people which makes sense given the Mike Judge connection) but the designs and animation are all really cool

So sad to hear about Gustafson. He was so fuckin talented

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

I got kinda mad at the first episode. Dude is an obnoxious guy who styles himself a hero for letting a homeless guy use NPR's toilet and fights with the queer staffer about what you call homeless people, but there's no punchline about that! He just shits himself

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Gaius Marius posted:

The Iron Claw was sick. Should've gotten nominations.

I feel about THE IRON CLAW the way some others react to SALTBURN and POOR THINGS.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I feel about THE IRON CLAW the way some others react to SALTBURN and POOR THINGS.

did you see all three?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The Peccadillo posted:

I got kinda mad at the first episode. Dude is an obnoxious guy who styles himself a hero for letting a homeless guy use NPR's toilet and fights with the queer staffer about what you call homeless people, but there's no punchline about that! He just shits himself

After King of the Hill ended, Mike Judge did a similar show called The Goode Family about a family of liberals. In King of the Hill, Judge was able to poke fun at their foibles while still coming from a place of genuine affection. In The Goode Family it was clear that Judge loving hated these people and has nothing but disgust for every thing about them. No jokes, only hate.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah and there was already stuff like that that poked its head through in KOTH, it was just rare enough or tolerable enough or mostly blended in with its disgusting rear end time

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeimosRising posted:

did you see all three?

I sure did and think IRON CLAW is the worst of the three.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I sure did and think IRON CLAW is the worst of the three.

Should I bother with saltburn or claw?

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
King of the hill was great stuff, but yeah not sure how this new revival. Probably should have been left alone.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeimosRising posted:

Should I bother with saltburn or claw?

They are all January movies, do what your heart tells you.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I really don't know what to expect out of new King of the Hill. It's not something I feel is necessary at all and that's as a big fan of the original show. It just had its moment in time and it's going to be hard to go back to it. I don't know if they plan to keep it set in the 2000s or time skip everyone to the modern day. They can't pull the Beavis and Butthead trick and I'd really rather not watch adult Bobby gently caress up endlessly while Rainey Street gets decrepit and angry.

That said, the new season of Beavis and Butthead seems to have gone over pretty well so maybe there's a chance they do it right.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

checkplease posted:

King of the hill was great stuff, but yeah not sure how this new revival. Probably should have been left alone.

I was cautiously optimistic even when it was going to be without Brittany Murphy and Tom Petty but now that Johnny Hardwick is gone, nawww.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The way to handle Bobby as an adult is to have him be a legitimately successful guy but just not in a way that Hank respects. Then let Hank gain respect for Bobby over the course of the season.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
drat. I'm finally reading The Black Dahlia and it's so goddamn good. Serious bummer to know the movie isn't.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah I really dig James Ellroy. I keep meaning to get into the new LA quartet he's doing (tho honestly no im not that interested in how cool you think Dudley Smith is dude) but I only read Perfidia and by the time The Storm came out I was like "hmm maybe I'll reread the original quartet before I get into this, those were awesome" and just never did. L.A. Confidential was a fun enough movie (good enough to get a sci fi remake!!!) but I never explored any of the other Ellroy adaptations.
Have been reading a lot of Dashiell Hammett lately though and it makes me wanna tackle more film adaptations of his work (and also that one Wim Wenders movie)

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

I think the black dahlia was okay. Thriller from 2004 rear end but that hits sometimes

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

checkplease posted:

Johnny Hardwick and Brittany Murphy are dead, why the gently caress would you reboot King of the Hill now? I mean, I can see the series managing to get by without Luanne but why would you even consider it without Dale? And the idea of recasting him or using A.I. is horrific.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
UNLESS you make Dale being dead and voiced by AI a part of the plot....

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Punkin Spunkin posted:

L.A. Confidential was a fun enough movie (good enough to get a sci fi remake!!!)

...excuse me?

Though I'm still super bummed that the Walton Goggins LA Confidential pilot didn't become a series. Really hope that leaks some day.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I was just making a Minority Report joke. Had no idea about that pilot though. Goggins as Vincennes is interesting, I like that.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1753507197835673675?s=20

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Debating between Rocky 2 or 3 tonight. I think Rocky 2 is a better movie but 3 might be a better Carl Weathers movie

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

They are all January movies, do what your heart tells you.

Brutal lol

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Vargo posted:

Debating between Rocky 2 or 3 tonight. I think Rocky 2 is a better movie but 3 might be a better Carl Weathers movie

Predator

Or Action Jackson

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Vargo posted:

He has some amazing lines and scenes in Rocky IV, though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Not even 15 minutes into Police Story and Jackie Chan is already hanging off a moving bus by an umbrella

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Banger of a movie tbh

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Lot of fun sitcom bullshit

E: Lmao the tape in court

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Waffleman_ posted:

Not even 15 minutes into Police Story and Jackie Chan is already hanging off a moving bus by an umbrella

that whole sequence is one of the most insane things ever filmed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Grendels Dad posted:

Predator

Or Action Jackson

Put the kids to bed and turned on Predator, just finished. :patriot: