Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

https://twitter.com/little_paisano/status/1750712467058037072?s=46&t=8qKeRz1MPwpnqaU9WYBJgg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Zeruel posted:

in a trailer for the show, you see a shot of another character getting their brains blown out by an undine it's going to be pretty fuckin violent

There's kind of a deliberate level of violence being very frank and the damage caused by it being relatively realistic with regard to how it's inspired by game mechanics, I feel. Wanting to emphasize that while those inspirations are there, they're not actually gamified in any way, if you know what I mean.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

mdct posted:

There's kind of a deliberate level of violence being very frank and the damage caused by it being relatively realistic with regard to how it's inspired by game mechanics, I feel. Wanting to emphasize that while those inspirations are there, they're not actually gamified in any way, if you know what I mean.

It's not all violence, there seems to be a divide between violence against the monsters (which is a bit more stylish-fantasy-action and occasionally slapstick) vs violence against people (where a guy just gets chopped in the neck with a sword mid-sentence and is just unglamorously dead on the floor)

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

sungwon's voice acting aside they did a really good job making senshi look slightly unhinged in this scene

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i think all the dub VA work in this show has been pretty top tier tbh

honestly marcille and senshi have been the highlights imo

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I need Imari Williams doing more voices. Love that guy's raspy yet deep voice as the Orc papa.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I remember reading a little bit of the manga back when it was fairly new but never got around to really keeping up with it. Heard a lot of good things about the series and it hasn't disappointed. Also interesting to note: cross-referencing with the chapter list, the first 3 episodes cleanly line up with the first volume of the manga.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/ProZD/status/1750992315320259046?t=Xnqlpc2A4IZOMkiQL2ntjA&s=19

Senshi Tenshi

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Quit beating me to the Twitter posts I wanted the Senshi Tenshi

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Here's a few interesting tweet threads going into behind the scenes analysis of each episode:
https://x.com/Yuyucow/status/1742979176670646368
https://x.com/Yuyucow/status/1745501448933179744
https://x.com/Yuyucow/status/1748024395723903319
https://x.com/Yuyucow/status/1750547877623890111

OP also wrote an article about some of the behind the scenes production on the series

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Got around to watching this episode, and Trigger really was the perfect choice of studio for this weren't they? Not dawning on me from this episode specifically, but it feels right.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Dunno if you've read the entire manga, but yeah, I felt from the start that Trigger was the perfect choice. This is going to be amazing. I'm glad it's clicked with so many people so far, but it's still barely even gotten started.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Arc Hammer posted:

Quit beating me to the Twitter posts I wanted the Senshi Tenshi

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/725447012681646251/1200452433898377417/bread-00.00.09.526-00.00.11.822.mp4
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_s7ug1bVa7o1yic9q3_720.mp4

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

people getting hung up on "what is a human" are missing the sociopolitical point, that "human" in this context is the same racial context as "white" is in america when talking about race relations, its a nebulous ingroup defined more by the level of complicity with the machinery of power your ethnic segment has than any actual defining characteristic. the japanese would know this distinction as "yamato" or the chinese as "han". its all the same poo poo.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It probably helps to understand that in Japanese, the word "human" is even more synonymous with "person" than it is in English. Calling a fantasy race anything other than human (and even in English they're not different species, just races) is on its face pretty insulting? Dehumanizing, you might say.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

so sentient then?

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Man this show continues to be amazing. The writer really is genius, the way the show continues to surprise me it's inventiveness, growing vegetables on the backs of golems, or living armor actually being mollusks is astonishing. When I heard the premise I was like "oh okay that sounds cute but seems like it would get old quick" but dang if it isn't keeping that pace going.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I just noticed in the OP in the part where we are in the treetops, the people there are trying the mandrake trick with the dog :ohdear:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I haven't watched the episode yet but I like to think that the mollusc living in his sword hilt is hugging him back.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
this is probably my favorite one yet. i always liked this pair of chapters, some really cool ideas in both. living armor was when ryoko kui really first wow'd me but she just shows immediately here that she can consistently come up with some really creative stuff using these concepts. and the animation just remains really fun.

also a lot of small marcille/fallin moments 🥹🙏

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well
Animated Marcille continues to be even better than I could have hoped for.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Snooze Cruise posted:

this is probably my favorite one yet. i always liked this pair of chapters, some really cool ideas in both. living armor was when ryoko kui really first wow'd me but she just shows immediately here that she can consistently come up with some really creative stuff using these concepts. and the animation just remains really fun.

also a lot of small marcille/fallin moments 🥹🙏

Absolutely. The treasure bugs (and living armour) and the ghosts are both such great examples of Kui's world-building.

The bugs are subverted by portraying them up as cute little treasures, gems being akin to fruit you can jam, and then eating them is played straight. This is contrasted with the ghosts themselves being played straight but "eating" is subverted by making a food with them you just wouldn't have expected.

There's just so much creativity in how she ties in food to every one of these typical fantasty monsters, it's just really fun to see. Like it could have so easily been just "well you cut the monster and cook it and eat it" x 100, but there's always something neat and creative expressed.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Lol the dog man said Hot Diggity

Bigger lol Laios went into an Obari pose when he drew his sword.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 2, 2024

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

RuBisCO posted:

Absolutely. The treasure bugs (and living armour) and the ghosts are both such great examples of Kui's world-building.

The bugs are subverted by portraying them up as cute little treasures, gems being akin to fruit you can jam, and then eating them is played straight. This is contrasted with the ghosts themselves being played straight but "eating" is subverted by making a food with them you just wouldn't have expected.

There's just so much creativity in how she ties in food to every one of these typical fantasty monsters, it's just really fun to see. Like it could have so easily been just "well you cut the monster and cook it and eat it" x 100, but there's always something neat and creative expressed.

The living armor, treasure bugs and an as of yet revealed monster are my three favorites from this series, with honorable mention to another one that's basically a reference to a number of things.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I like that Laios gets what's effectively a living, magical sword that warns him of danger, but it's properly justified in-universe (it's a cool mollusk he found)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/1753127844354429337
(thread)

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

If only more adventurers were willing to pick up cool rocks and swords and poo poo they find in the dungeon.

Loved Senshi's attitude towards the inedible stuff. It's just gold and jewels, throw them away if you like.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

If only more adventurers were willing to pick up cool rocks and swords and poo poo they find in the dungeon.

Loved Senshi's attitude towards the inedible stuff. It's just gold and jewels, throw them away if you like.

Cant eat em, can't use em for cooking. Worthless.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Xelkelvos posted:

Cant eat em, can't use em for cooking. Worthless.

I’d like to present a compelling counterargument:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgct3Jn8pFA

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I like how Japanese kobolds are just dog

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Great ep. All great so far. I was going to watch this with my partner but they have never played D&D and are only interested in pastry when it comes to cooking so in the end this is my solo show for the moment and it's a real treat. Treasure bug jam looks bomb - I wonder what it actually tastes like. Laios said it tasted sweet. Senshi didn't add sugar that I could see, though he had plenty later for the sorbet, so I guess either they're supposed to be naturally quite sweet (like caramelized onions?!) or they're more like rillettes/pate and Laios calling them sweet was more metaphorical, the way older cookbooks will call meat with more connective tissue/gelatin sweet or the way that many native Chinese speakers using English describe pork as sweet in comparison with chicken/beef. Anyone know if these sorts of characterizations of certain meats as sweet are as common in Japan as (eg) Taiwan?

Marcille and Chilchuk throwing away the actual treasure was a nice touch. It was great seeing Falin on screen more, too. I hope they rescue her soon and show her the delights of dungeon cuisine. And I did enjoy Marcille hitting that big ol' stun spell. It's been, like, foreshadowed that she can cast strong spells and that in the more dangerous stratums they're necessary so it's good for her to conserve mana but it was nice actually seeing her achieve something on screen since she's been punching bag and comic relief for the most part thus far.

This was a great read. Thanks for sharing. I am watching Kaguya-Sama for the first time rn and while I'd never have noticed this, it's really cool how clear to see it is.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the visual of a crown actually being a bug you can squish with a spoon twists my brain in just the right way

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Waffleman_ posted:

I like how Japanese kobolds are just dog

IIRC Japan's conception of a lot of popular Western fantasy creatures comes from one very specific edition of D&D, where Kobolds are dogs and Orcs look like pigs.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

the visual of a crown actually being a bug you can squish with a spoon twists my brain in just the right way

Very strong Is It Cake? energy

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

IIRC Japan's conception of a lot of popular Western fantasy creatures comes from one very specific edition of D&D, where Kobolds are dogs and Orcs look like pigs.

The Japanese release of AD&D was super high-effort, with a pretty good translation and hiring local artists to do all new art for it. That every edition after it not only didn't do that, but were relatively low-effort translations on top of that, is a big reason why no edition beyond AD&D did well in the country.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Orcs as pigs is so common but I do like how the artwork for this series gives them hairy bodies with cute little patterns like juvenile boars for the baby orcs. It goes a long way towards making them stand out rather than just your typical pig-man orcs, tortured-and-ruined corruption Tolkien orcs or Warhammer Greenskins.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Yeah kobolds were weird little dog lizards at first

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

mdct posted:

The Japanese release of AD&D was super high-effort, with a pretty good translation and hiring local artists to do all new art for it. That every edition after it not only didn't do that, but were relatively low-effort translations on top of that, is a big reason why no edition beyond AD&D did well in the country.

Yeah, as I recall the most popular tabletop RPG in japan is actually Call of Cthulu, of all things. Mostly since it's a good intro RPG that gets good localizations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Dog kobolds are always the best type of kobolds. We as a society need to accept them into our hearts as the true default.