Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

Lady's death also foreshadow's Sansa's arc of sacrificing her Stark-ness to ingratiate herself to Joffrey and Cersei, as she becomes the least Stark of the Starks while also becoming the only one able to actually play the Game of Thrones successfully because all her siblings, cousins and adult relations in her life are either idiots or magically-hosed weirdos.

Oh yea excellent point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
GRRM is sad :(

https://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2024/01/29/dark-days/

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
it's fine, he's got this

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ibsl_BpWTHI

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

:habba:

I have to rate :one: on the thread after that dawg

edit: There is a new smilie that almost fit my comment

Anders fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jan 30, 2024

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Dude you were an adult through the freaking Cold War get a grip.

Anyway it’s obvious he’s terrified of his own mortality now that he’s getting into his late 70s.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Sorry cant write the book, too much war going on out there

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Elias_Maluco posted:

No wars or anything in the 70s and 80s during his “prime” years of life. What beautiful days those were…

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Oh I didn't know Greg Bear died

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

How many of his friends and colleagues that died were like 87 years old

I’m glad GRRM is just leaning into Peak Boomer now though. How his childhood in the 50s must have been awesome, his formative years in the 60s and 70s so full of hope and opportunity, but then as he’s getting old the world is getting worse, toxic, and scary unlike back in his days. Too bad he didn’t rant about how todays music isn’t actually music.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jan 30, 2024

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
He's afraid of dying and being forgotten, which is a pretty common and understandable fear. But, y'know, there was something he could have done to make it far more likely that he would be remembered favorably. Yes indeed. He could have bribed or browbeaten the city council into letting him build a castle :thunkin:

He's also incredibly blind to how privileged he is, but he's a boomer so that goes without saying.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

quote:

Now social media is ruled by anti-fans who would rather talk about the stuff they hate than the stuff they love, and delight in dancing on the graves of anyone whose film has flopped.

I’m sorry GRRM :(

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

I consider myself a pioneer in anti-fandom. It's the last hoorah of SA as a cultural institution

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Elias_Maluco posted:

Lol. The ego on that self-important sack of poo poo. Typical woe-is-me lament from someone contemplating their mortality - the world is going to hell and will only get worse when I, Jorge Ricardo Raymondo ByGod Martinez specifically, am no longer in it.

Sorry about your losses, but go gently caress yourself.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

No wonder no one wrote anything during and between the World Wars. Just a 40 years gap in the literary canon where every artist was too bummed to do anything at all.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Being a fan of this series sounds like hell. The show ended poorly and the books aren’t getting finished at all.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
It's bullshit he couldn't build the castle though. Who would get mad at their neighbor building a castle? Like the majesty of a suburb in New Mexico going to be ruined by a castle? It would be a cool, weird thing you could look at every time you went by. Bring it on I say, every yard should have something neat like a castle or a hedge maze or 1/50 scale model of the Titanic.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

My mom's generation is GRRMs age and it feels like most people in their 70s and 80s feel this way. I compare it to how I currently work in an industry that felt a heavy toll from the Hollywood strikes, so every week for the past year several colleagues have been laid off. One day they're there, the next you just don't see them again.

But with someone GRRMs age its like , one day they're there, the next day they're dead. It not like you can message them to meet up at the coffee shop during lunch hour.

Would put a damper on my mood.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

OctaviusBeaver posted:

It's bullshit he couldn't build the castle though. Who would get mad at their neighbor building a castle? Like the majesty of a suburb in New Mexico going to be ruined by a castle? It would be a cool, weird thing you could look at every time you went by. Bring it on I say, every yard should have something neat like a castle or a hedge maze or 1/50 scale model of the Titanic.

I wonder if Ty's 240zx is still parked in the alley by the trash cans.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Elias_Maluco posted:

This rear end in a top hat has the gall to call himself the American Tolkien. Old J.R.R. rolled through the Battle of the Somme and wrote the first works in what became his literary legacy while recovering from trench fever. Gurm can't write because there's wars halfway across the planet on the news.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ccs posted:

My mom's generation is GRRMs age and it feels like most people in their 70s and 80s feel this way. I compare it to how I currently work in an industry that felt a heavy toll from the Hollywood strikes, so every week for the past year several colleagues have been laid off. One day they're there, the next you just don't see them again.

But with someone GRRMs age its like , one day they're there, the next day they're dead. It not like you can message them to meet up at the coffee shop during lunch hour.

Would put a damper on my mood.

Yeah, I definitely know what that's like. My father and basically his entire social circle all passed within about a year or two of each other. Hell, I'm around half GRRM's age and seeing news stories about famous people in my age bracket just up and dying rattles the poo poo outta me too.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Let’s not pretend lord of the rings is even close to being as good as asoiaf, even in its unfinished state.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Liquid Communism posted:

This rear end in a top hat has the gall to call himself the American Tolkien.

Has he actually called himself the American Tolkien? I feel that's a label other people have given him

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Let’s not pretend lord of the rings is even close to being as good as asoiaf, even in its unfinished state.

You're right, it's significantly better.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

To be fair he is kind of another Tolkien in that he changed the face of fantasy significantly:

- popularised icy north type settings
- popularised low magic settings
- sword & sorcery heroic fantasy without elves and such
- grim dark plots
- elaborate genealogies and such in the appendices (historical fiction already had this I guess)
- story is mostly focused on exploring character dynamics and psychology instead of cool locations and adventures

I feel all that was relatively rare before the late 00s and is now super common.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Look, GRRM has every right to just come out and say “I’ve lost the creative spark as I’ve gotten older and the stresses of the world and my own mortality are wearing me out. I don’t expect to continue writing ASOIAF.”

But he didn’t. He instead continues to insist that he’s writing and how dare any of the toxic internet trolls question it and oh woe is me it’s just all so hard for me to write but like a trooper I’m soldiering on anyway.

Also it’s funny he’s still butthurt over his awful Hugo Awards speech.

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

Knuc U Kinte posted:

👆

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.
If he really had written as much as he claims there'd be like six new books out already

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I know the concept of "good" is a subjective assessment and therefore a moving target but c'mon man.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Anders posted:

Has he actually called himself the American Tolkien? I feel that's a label other people have given him

Lev Grossman of TIME called him that in an article. He was sucking hard on the pink mast in hopes of getting Martin's help promoting Grossman's own fantasy series.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Ugh that sure sounds like something the writer of The Magicians would say.

Stupid.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Look, GRRM has every right to just come out and say “I’ve lost the creative spark as I’ve gotten older and the stresses of the world and my own mortality are wearing me out. I don’t expect to continue writing ASOIAF.”

But he didn’t. He instead continues to insist that he’s writing and how dare any of the toxic internet trolls question it and oh woe is me it’s just all so hard for me to write but like a trooper I’m soldiering on anyway.

Also it’s funny he’s still butthurt over his awful Hugo Awards speech.

The funniest part is that most of the bitterest people about the issue would say 'Cool, go do it.'

it's not the fact that he doesn't write that bothers anyone, it's that he continues to putter along pretending the next book will be out any day now.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Just want to let everyone who think aSoIaF is much better than LotR that you're delusional

I think you're just tired of rereading the template he made in 1954(?) for 45 years before Edgelord McEdgeface did a twist on the story. Maybe you feel that way because the prose is from a 70 year old style

It's also didn't have two poo poo books after the three good ones, and it concluded the story

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I like ASOIAF and if a new book ever comes out, I will eagerly read it.

But LOTR is probably the closest thing to a perfect fantasy series.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Mike N Eich posted:

I like ASOIAF and if a new book ever comes out, I will eagerly read it.

But LOTR is probably the closest thing to a perfect fantasy series.

:wrong:

This is :perfect:

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Martin didn't even come up with the idea of a fantasy series with unlikeable assholes as protagonists. Those awful Thomas Covenant books are decades older.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ASOIAF and LOTR are pretty different stories.

I would not describe ASOIAF as having unlikable protagonists, at least not all of them. I think part of what attracts people to the books is having such flawed characters. Not just flawed, but highly introspective flawed people. We know how they feel and what they're thinking all the time. LOTR isn't really as interested in that...at all. I am certainly a "LOTR books are way better than the movies" person, but can I understand why Gandalf's death is treated with slow mo and screaming and "give them a moment for pity's sake!"? Yes. In the books, I'm pretty sure all that happens is we get one line about Frodo and the other hobbits crying and...that's about it. It's not really a story designed to tug at the emotions.

I have no intention of ever reading ASOIAF again since it will not be finished but the character who has stayed with me the most after my one and only read ten years ago is Jamie. I am deeply impressed how Martin made me care about a guy introduced via attempted child murder. Butit's because we get to see into Jamie's head, get to feel his agony over his impossible situation. A conflict of incompatible loyalties and obligations is one of the most universal situations, I think. We've all sworn oaths to ourselves and others but howe do we balance them? A question we always have to ask ourselves.

LOTR is...not interested in such a mental conflict. Boromir failed because he allowed himself to be tempted by other loyalties than that of his one true king. Noble Faramir never once doubted Aragorn was his eternal superior and the rightful ruler. Honestly, it's why I like Saruman a lot. Saruman feels like a more dynamic character, caught between very human weaknesses.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

NikkolasKing posted:

I have no intention of ever reading ASOIAF again since it will not be finished but the character who has stayed with me the most after my one and only read ten years ago is Jamie. I am deeply impressed how Martin made me care about a guy introduced via attempted child murder

, while in sexual congress with his sister.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Sexual Congress would be a pretty good Family Guy cutaway, I should write my friend Seth and let him know .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

It's literally "old man yells at cloud"