Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010

GhastlyBizness posted:

Kate Heartfield’s Armed in Her Fashion is quite similar in its Boschian influences and whole “devils invade 14th c. Europe” setting. Possibly also Brian Catling’s Hollow, though I haven’t read it.

Armed In Her Fashion sounds really good, is it totally out of print? The only copy I can find available in the UK is £188.99 on Amazon, or I can get it delivered from the US for £60 or so. There doesn't seem to be an ebook at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus

The Sweet Hereafter posted:

Armed In Her Fashion sounds really good, is it totally out of print? The only copy I can find available in the UK is £188.99 on Amazon, or I can get it delivered from the US for £60 or so. There doesn't seem to be an ebook at all.

Oh right, her previous publisher, ChiZine, went under because they were just weren’t paying royalties and seem to have been extremely poo poo to their staff and authors.

It’s been republished by Harper under the (inferior, imo) title The Chatelaine so you should be able to find it that way. The new cover’s not as cool either, very generic historical fiction.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Thranguy posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only.one to read "The Traitor Anthony Ryan" as the full title.

Although honestly this makes the UK retitiling thing make even less sense.

How so? Given how long we're having to wait for the last book, The Monster Seth Dickinson is a perfectly acceptable title.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Yeah, that's true here in LA also. It takes a little work to build up a reasonable queue. I usually add books to my Libby/Overdrive when I see them recommended here, and then sometime down the road I'll get access to them. I'll buy books on Kindle in the meantime to tide me over. When you get it right it definitely helps avoid spending lots of money on books though.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The wait time is assuming 21 days per person per copy, it always goes faster than that because people usually return the book when they are done instead of letting it auto-return at 21 days. Also libraries often procure more copies when the wait time gets that long (the book is popular) so it could drop suddenly.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Yeah Libby (the Overdrive manager app thing) will prod you to return a book early if you're finished so in my experience the wait times on books from my library are always shorter than predicted, unless it's a book that's unusually long in the first place.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The best way to use overdrive is to just add a bunch of books and then forget about them and be pleasantly surprised when they're ready

I guess the hawaii library system doesn't have hoopla but otherwise hoopla usually has less selection but doesn't have a model where libraries buy individual copies of books so it can be easier to get very popular books through it

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
My county library system has a better SFF selection in hard copies than it does in ebooks, but that's not saying a lot (roughly half of the almost 40k titles they do have listed on libby are all romance and mystery books, the next biggest chunk is stuff for middle schoolers. I'm happy for those folks interested in them, but those are not really my thing).

Maybe I need to start putting requests in to see if they'll eventally add anything I actually want to read. But I usually get impatient and end up just buying stuff (especially when it's on sale, thanks Pradmer!).

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If I read God Emperor a couple of years ago and sorta kinda remember it, but also I've talked myself into pressing onward into Heretics, how important would it be to re-read GEoD before diving in? Is it a direct sequel where I'm going to have to remember people other than presumably Duncan Idaho again, or is there another 1000-year time jump and the wiki plot synopsis should suffice?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

DurianGray posted:

40k titles they do have listed on libby are all romance and mystery books,

Apropos of the discussion a couple pages ago, I am now imagining Warhams romance novels.

He was a priest of Slaanesh. She was an Inquisitor. A tale of star-crossed lovers that crosses the stars! Happy ending guaranteed (tm).

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

Huxley posted:

If I read God Emperor a couple of years ago and sorta kinda remember it, but also I've talked myself into pressing onward into Heretics, how important would it be to re-read GEoD before diving in? Is it a direct sequel where I'm going to have to remember people other than presumably Duncan Idaho again, or is there another 1000-year time jump and the wiki plot synopsis should suffice?

A plot synopsis is fine.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Huxley posted:

It's more like a 3000-year time jump. And there are still Duncan gholas.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
You should re read God Emperor because it rules.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
I posted in the Sanderson thread, but here it is—the start of my Book Barn.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

Huxley posted:

I wouldn't even bother with the plot synopsis, it won't matter, but I also wouldn't bother with heretics

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
I'm just 2% into Exordia. This is going to be a weird loving ride, isn't it?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Exordia feels like it's a combo of the MENSA operative posts and the Untitled Document front page series to put everything in old school Something Awful terms

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Awkward Davies posted:

Yeah, that's true here in LA also. It takes a little work to build up a reasonable queue. I usually add books to my Libby/Overdrive when I see them recommended here, and then sometime down the road I'll get access to them. I'll buy books on Kindle in the meantime to tide me over. When you get it right it definitely helps avoid spending lots of money on books though.

No reason to have to wait long for loans if you live in California IMO, especially LA. Most libraries in CA let any resident of the state get a card there, and LA actually has a bunch of smaller libraries other than the LA Public Library: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_public_libraries_in_Los_Angeles_County,_California

Some of the little ones will be all folded together in the LA Country Library system (different from LA Public) for Libby purposes, but others won't be -- e.g. Burbank has its own separate collection for Libby purposes. If you end up doing an errand near Santa Monica, or Riverside, or whatever, stop by the library and see if they have a separate card! Also if you ever travel to e.g. the Bay Area/San Diego etc, fold a library or two into your trip and you can get a bunch more cards easily. It's like a fun, directly rewarding, and very straightforward scavenger hunt available to anyone who lives in California.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Magicians (#1) by Lev Grossman - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002AU7MJU/

Fool Moon (Dresden Files #2) by Jim Butcher - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001BPYD2O/

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
I requested the Exordia ebook from my library, but they haven’t picked it up yet. :negative:

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I managed to get my wife to start doing the Exordia audiobook even though she is generally very leery of dark books (Locked Tomb and Murderbot are her favorites as a newcomer to the Genre). She's now nearing the end having toughed it out, which is a testament to the quality of the characters and story given how gruesome it is even in the early going. I'm really enjoying it myself so far, and wanted to make a post about something I just pieced together - modest spoilers for a scene without details - There's a scene where two characters are in a room, and one is worried the other has been exposed to something and wants to help her decontaminate. While getting bleach out to do so, the other starts talking about information theory, numerical entropy and complexity, and it's totally in character and interesting. They're also definitely flirting? at the same time, and it's also absolutely relevant to the larger story at the same time. It's also incredibly reminiscent of the usual technobabble garbage you get in military sci/fi or airport thrillers, where a character digresses into a monologue about the space drive they already know about so the reader can pick up on the details that may not be important at all later (a la https://boards.straightdope.com/t/how-david-weber-orders-a-pizza/606473). It's pretty amazing and pointed, I don't think satire? but at least showing how it can be done; kind of like Mission of Honor Retold.

So far I've also caught the 0451 reference, and probably missed dozens of others.

I don't know if I can in good conscience recommend her read Baru, because as amazing as it is the book also made me cry a lot and I don't think she could handle it.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

I just now realized that while reading a paperback book is the premium feel for reading, I won't have enough space for how much I will read. Are Kindles just as good as paperbacks? I know that accessibility is excellent since if you ever need a book, it takes two clicks, and now you own it. But I am not sure if the reading experience is the same.

mystes
May 31, 2006

A Sneaker Broker posted:

I just now realized that while reading a paperback book is the premium feel for reading, I won't have enough space for how much I will read. Are Kindles just as good as paperbacks? I know that accessibility is excellent since if you ever need a book, it takes two clicks, and now you own it. But I am not sure if the reading experience is the same.
how did you just start reading sci-fi like two days ago and now you're already worried about book space?

but kindles are nice and if you use overdrive you can load the books on them from that, so I do recommend picking one up if you're so inclined. They go on sale a lot so if you don't need one ASAP you might want to wait for that though.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

mystes posted:

sorry didn't you just start reading books like two days ago? don't you think you're getting ahead of yourself?

but kindles are nice and if you use overdrive you can load the books on them from that

If reading 8 hours a day is getting ahead of myself, I may be in trouble.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

A Sneaker Broker posted:

I use a Kobo and it's worth it because I don't have to worry about space, and I can search much more easily for passages that I'm looking for. It's got a phone and desktop app too, which help for the maps and pictures.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

A Sneaker Broker posted:

I prefer Kindle and frankly feel cranky when people buy me paperbacks anymore. The Kindle lets me read in any lighting conditions. The bookmark never falls out of it. If something gets on it, I can wipe it off, and there's no stain. If I'm stuck somewhere with time to kill, but forgot my book, I can download the book to my phone, it will automatically open where I left off, and now I'm content.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
it's funny you bring up that Weber link in relation to Exordia. the book I read directly before Exordia was Out of the Dark, my first and probably only ever Weber book, and they actually cover kinda similar plots at a high level (alien invasion! spoilers for Exordia - nuking all the major cities, taking out communications! military technobabble!).

I didn't completely hate the Weber book until the ending (the ending was insane), but it fell a lot further in retrospect immediately going to a book that did so much more, so much better with a few of the same ideas

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 3, 2024

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Q is not E

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

pik_d posted:

I use a Kobo and it's worth it because I don't have to worry about space, and I can search much more easily for passages that I'm looking for. It's got a phone and desktop app too, which help for the maps and pictures.

I've been using an iPad as my e-reader for years now. I've got iBooks, Google Play, and Kindle on it with content from all three stores. I like the display just fine compared to the Kindle screens I've seen. It's more generally useful device, but more expensive. If you afford one, I'd consider it.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

mllaneza posted:

I've been using an iPad as my e-reader for years now. I've got iBooks, Google Play, and Kindle on it with content from all three stores. I like the display just fine compared to the Kindle screens I've seen. It's more generally useful device, but more expensive. If you afford one, I'd consider it.

I use my iPad to read ebooks with critical illustrations, but it's not as comfortable as an e-ink reader for most books. Too heavy.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

AARD VARKMAN posted:

it's funny you bring up that Weber link in relation to Exordia. the book I read directly before Exordia was Out of the Dark, my first and probably only ever Weber book, and they actually cover kinda similar plots at a high level (alien invasion! spoilers for Exordia - nuking all the major cities, taking out communications! military technobabble!).

I didn't completely hate the Weber book until the ending (the ending was insane), but it fell a lot further in retrospect immediately going to a book that did so much more, so much better with a few of the same ideas

That's what I find most striking about it - it's got so many things that are similar to genre staples: weird weapons that have arcane names (EXORDIA, Areteia, or SBMHAWKs and GRASERS)! aliens are weird (ours are uh, snake men, or no, cat people!), listen as I talk about (wedge shapes, or blindspots aft on our ships, or fighter weapon systems, or the impact of DNA replication errors on cell reproduction!) But in Exordia it's always in character, it's always incredibly compelling and never the usual sahara-dry genre crap. Even when it's as silly as being exasperated at E.M.P. vs EMP it's hilarious and sad.

Velius fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Feb 3, 2024

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I read almost exclusively on a Kindle and love it but its important to acknowledge the limitations: black and white, no ability to zoom in on illustrations, maps etc (this is annoying for the Stormlight Archive series, for e.g.), almost unusable for graphic novels, fiddly for footnotes (looking at you, Babel :colbert: ), and frustrating to flick back and forth through.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
I have one of the color e-ink boox tablets and it's been great. It runs on an android base so you can use just about any app you can get through the google play store. I got it initially to read scanned pdfs of books from the 1800s that are full of illustrations, and it's been great for that. The downside is that color e-ink is still pretty pricey and it's definitely not perfected yet, but at the rate it's been going recently, I'm hoping they'll be a lot better and cheaper in a handful of years.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I read ebooks to read on my android phone and tablet all the time. It works great. The Kindle app works well for stuff I've gotten from Amazon, and Readera works for books from other sources.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I wanna read some unique, different-feeling fantasy. Last one I got from this thread was Face in the Frost which was great. Stuff like that, Bridge of Birds hits the same notes. But doesn't have to be quirky and funny like those two.

Going to give Little, Big another read soon which I think will satiate for a while. What else?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

tildes posted:

No reason to have to wait long for loans if you live in California IMO, especially LA. Most libraries in CA let any resident of the state get a card there, and LA actually has a bunch of smaller libraries other than the LA Public Library: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_public_libraries_in_Los_Angeles_County,_California

Some of the little ones will be all folded together in the LA Country Library system (different from LA Public) for Libby purposes, but others won't be -- e.g. Burbank has its own separate collection for Libby purposes. If you end up doing an errand near Santa Monica, or Riverside, or whatever, stop by the library and see if they have a separate card! Also if you ever travel to e.g. the Bay Area/San Diego etc, fold a library or two into your trip and you can get a bunch more cards easily. It's like a fun, directly rewarding, and very straightforward scavenger hunt available to anyone who lives in California.

I actually do have a Santa Monica library card also. I didn’t even think about looking into others. There’s 88 cities though, lots of libraries to join.

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Kindles are just so convenient. So many books in one place. Honestly I do a lot of my reading on the kindle app on my phone.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
I read exclusively on my phone because it's small and easy to pull out and tuck away. I'm looking for a good e-ink device that's as small but the only things out there afaik are Chinese phones or other higher priced devices.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

my bony fealty posted:

I wanna read some unique, different-feeling fantasy. Last one I got from this thread was Face in the Frost which was great. Stuff like that, Bridge of Birds hits the same notes. But doesn't have to be quirky and funny like those two.

Going to give Little, Big another read soon which I think will satiate for a while. What else?

Stargate by Pauline Gedge (there’s another Stargate by Andre Norton which I haven’t read and neither have anything to do with the movie/TV show but came out well before. Best I can figure is the dude who wrote the original script saw the book cover and based the movie entirely on that without reading it)

https://www.amazon.com/Stargate-Rediscovered-Classics-Pauline-Gedge-ebook/dp/B01GEYAUH8/

It’s one of the most unique fantasy novels I’ve ever read. It’s nothing like the vibe of Bridge of Birds though. It’s grim and dark without being Grimdark. It’s epic apocalyptic space fantasy, self-contained in a very dense ~300 pages. I’ve read nothing quite like it. Maybe the closest in vibes to Book of the New Sun. All the characters are ancient immortal gods, and unlike most immortal pov characters I’ve read, they actually feel ancient. Any they’re all going mad and destroying their own planets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

my bony fealty posted:

Avram Davidson did a whole bunch of these. The Phoenix and The Mirror is great

Lord of Light by Zelazny is great

Will always recommend The Chronicles of An Age Darkness series by Hugh Cook