Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

This is a pretty specific Edge-related question but I couldn't find a thread for it. Earlier today Youtube videos suddenly started dropping frames like crazy and I read about a possible solution in edge:flags which is toggling the Media Foundation playback for Windows 10 to "Enabled" from "Default" and like magic I've had 0 dropped frames since.

The problem is that now every time I open Youtube (and seemingly only Youtube), Edge plays this loud, quick chime even when there isn't actual video content on the page, though I don't know if thumbnails count.

So enabling that particular flag causes this weird, awful chime to happen, is there a way to disable it and retain smooth video playback?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Sorry for piling on questions without answering any, but I have had this happening since I can remember upgrading to W11:

If I leave the computer asleep long enough, it won't shut down or log me out but it will close down all my open applications and set some settings back to default (like my keyboard language).

It's not terrible. I save my work, and the browser saves the open tabs including text I've entered but haven't submitted. But if anyone knows offhand it might save me a few seconds each day. I'm guessing it's something in the power settings rather than a bug, but I can't find what to change.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

MikusR posted:

Office files behave differently when opened from OneDrive in a modern Office.

The option to disable it is like the first one in the Options->Save section.

I super get the idea that you are miffed at. Live file editing is a newish concept for windows users and it's fundamentally incompatible with what you have in mind. MS made the decision early on and it's now out of your control.

The usual solution is to zip up the documents you don't want to be touched and put a password on the zip. Extract copies to be modified and open those in web Onedrive. Google docs/sheets works the same way BTW.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

hey all-- i've been running into a multi-display issue for a while now and was 50/50 between asking here or the display thread, but it did seem to coincide with my upgrade to win11. i'm curious if anyone else has encountered something similar

my display setup isn't anything too crazy, just two standard monitors (via HDMI) and my TV (also HDMI). what's confusing me is that previously under win10 if I changed the input source on my TV to something other than the PC, the OS seemed to maintain the display even if it wasn't actively being shown on the TV. since the win11 upgrade that same action is treated no differently than if i'd turned off the display entirely (windows getting shuffled back to the remaining monitors).

nothing's changed with the hardware which leads me to assume it's something on the OS side, but casually researching the issue over the past few months has led me nowhere

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

What type of video card do you have? If its AMD, have you checked the EDID emulation settings to see if that's disabled for some reason?

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Tornhelm posted:

What type of video card do you have? If its AMD, have you checked the EDID emulation settings to see if that's disabled for some reason?

RTX 3070 so not AMD, took a look anyway and i don't see anything EDID-related in the settings but i may not be searching in the right spot

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

stuker posted:

hey all-- i've been running into a multi-display issue for a while now and was 50/50 between asking here or the display thread, but it did seem to coincide with my upgrade to win11. i'm curious if anyone else has encountered something similar

my display setup isn't anything too crazy, just two standard monitors (via HDMI) and my TV (also HDMI). what's confusing me is that previously under win10 if I changed the input source on my TV to something other than the PC, the OS seemed to maintain the display even if it wasn't actively being shown on the TV. since the win11 upgrade that same action is treated no differently than if i'd turned off the display entirely (windows getting shuffled back to the remaining monitors).

nothing's changed with the hardware which leads me to assume it's something on the OS side, but casually researching the issue over the past few months has led me nowhere

I think a recent windows 11 update snuck in some configurations for when TVs are plugged in. Before, I had my TV plugged in via HDMI, and I would use a program called Monitor Profile Switcher to turn off my desktop monitors and switch to the TV input. This worked well even in 11 up until maybe the last month or so. Now when I turn on my TV it immediately switches, and when I turn the TV off my desktop monitor glitches out every time it draws a new window, like it hasn't reenabled display stream compression (or something) until I power cycle my PC.

I have been a pretty vocal windows 11 supporter up until the last few months when several of my setups that have worked for years under windows 10 and had been working in windows 11 suddenly broke. Now I'm eyeing linux tutorials and making charts for what switching over to linux would be like.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

HKR posted:

I have been a pretty vocal windows 11 supporter up until the last few months when several of my setups that have worked for years under windows 10 and had been working in windows 11 suddenly broke. Now I'm eyeing linux tutorials and making charts for what switching over to linux would be like.

I have very much enjoyed switching to linux, but "your poo poo will never break" is not a good premise to begin the journey with.

"Your poo poo will never break because a lovely megacorp really wants you to use Edge / OneDrive / Bing / AI / MS accounts / dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed" is much more reasonable though.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

stuker posted:

Displayport does this for me. It's actually my preferred outcome. You're not plugged into a DP with a adapter are you?

Edit : Comedy option, it was a monitor update

down1nit fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Feb 5, 2024

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

hello, I'm going to have to replace the motherboard and CPU of a pc, keeping the power supply, gpu, RAM, hard drives and case.

will windows (10) panic and think it's in the wrong PC because of the hardware changes (aka will I need to get a clean install for windows somewhere?)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

double nine posted:

hello, I'm going to have to replace the motherboard and CPU of a pc, keeping the power supply, gpu, RAM, hard drives and case.

will windows (10) panic and think it's in the wrong PC because of the hardware changes (aka will I need to get a clean install for windows somewhere?)

Windows is very good about hardware changes these days, so you should be fine. This is generally only a big problem if you have unusual hardware, or are doing something like mobo raid (don't use mobo raid).

If you have manually installed the chipset drivers for your current platform, it wouldn't be a bad idea to uninstall them first.

You'll probably need to reactivate windows.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Is there anything that's recommended before you turn the old machine off, a la disassociating the license from the machine?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Computer viking posted:

Is there anything that's recommended before you turn the old machine off, a la disassociating the license from the machine?

Hmm, it's not supposed to be required? But TBQH I don't know what the gently caress the best practice for moving windows licenses around is.

The last time I ran into reactivation -- moving a complete windows install from one laptop to another -- the person had a MS account and the license tied to it. So I thought "this will be easy, we can just follow the official instructions". Note the complete absence of deactivating the old machine first.

Said instructions did not work, and we ended up buying a $15 SAmart key.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

thing is it's currently an SAmart key
not sure how that affects things

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

down1nit posted:

Displayport does this for me. It's actually my preferred outcome. You're not plugged into a DP with a adapter are you?

Edit : Comedy option, it was a monitor update

nope, HDMI on both ends for the display (TV) in question. it's a relatively older TV (LG C9, so about 4-5 years?) so updates have been pretty infrequent. i am using DP for one of the other monitors, but i don't change the input on that display

i dunno if the use case helps at all, but i frequently throw a game or video on the TV via the PC but am flipping from that PC input to other inputs on the TV (two basketball games, for example). i'd be fine with the behavior when turning off the TV altogether, but having it occur when the PC is no longer the active input means i get the TV windows thrown over whatever else i had up + the windows don't revert back when the input is switched back to the PC

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

double nine posted:

Very unlikely. Windows survives most things now adays. You might benefit from a reset or reinstall, but it shouldn't be required.

double nine posted:

Are you positive that you can? If you're getting a new motherboard and you were on DDR4 ram for example, in some cases you won't be able to use it, and even if you could would harm performance. I'd check over in the building megathread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3970266

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Rawrbomb posted:

Very unlikely. Windows survives most things now adays. You might benefit from a reset or reinstall, but it shouldn't be required.

Are you positive that you can? If you're getting a new motherboard and you were on DDR4 ram for example, in some cases you won't be able to use it, and even if you could would harm performance. I'd check over in the building megathread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3970266

the RAM you mean? nah it's fine, you just have to take a stanley knife and cut a new notch so it'll fit on the motherboard.

I jest, of course. Yes the ram is compatible.

And the PSU has more than enough wattage

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

double nine posted:

thing is it's currently an SAmart key
not sure how that affects things

Depends. If it's an OEM license, it's supposed to be tied to the system, for some multi-component fingerprint meaning of "system". Otherwise it's supposed to be portable.

I think you can check by running slmgr /dli in a command line, that should pop up an info box. Mine says "Windows (R) Operating System, OEM_DM channel", which makes sense; it came with the laptop.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

stuker posted:

nope, HDMI on both ends for the display (TV) in question. it's a relatively older TV (LG C9, so about 4-5 years?) so updates have been pretty infrequent. i am using DP for one of the other monitors, but i don't change the input on that display

i dunno if the use case helps at all, but i frequently throw a game or video on the TV via the PC but am flipping from that PC input to other inputs on the TV (two basketball games, for example). i'd be fine with the behavior when turning off the TV altogether, but having it occur when the PC is no longer the active input means i get the TV windows thrown over whatever else i had up + the windows don't revert back when the input is switched back to the PC

Yeah I love that behavior, personally. Sorry, I never really studied hdmi signaling or anything, but the usual method for determining if a cable is plugged in and can receive data (potentially) is a small rear end resistor between a pin and ground. I dunno where it is on hdmi cables, it may be on the device side even.

Maybe swap the cables around see if it's that, being the jist. Perhaps consider a dvi / dp adapter until someone smarter chimes in?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I have an annoyance that I'd like to fix but I'm not sure how, maybe someone here has an idea.

I have two screens. I have a bunch of poo poo open on both screens. I want to open another program or whatever from a shortcut on my desktop.
I use Win + D to do that, but the problem is that all the poo poo on my secondary screen stays minimized and I have to maximize it manually.

Is there a shortcut that only temporarily minimizes stuff on the main screen, or something?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

I have an annoyance that I'd like to fix but I'm not sure how, maybe someone here has an idea.

I have two screens. I have a bunch of poo poo open on both screens. I want to open another program or whatever from a shortcut on my desktop.
I use Win + D to do that, but the problem is that all the poo poo on my secondary screen stays minimized and I have to maximize it manually.

Is there a shortcut that only temporarily minimizes stuff on the main screen, or something?

Press Win+D again.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Arivia posted:

Press Win+D again.

That will simply minimize the new program I just opened.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Whoops

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Put the shortcut on the task bar or use the search box to open it?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I could have sworn there was an obscure windows feature designed to address this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0AJM6HMYjM

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

mobby_6kl posted:

Put the shortcut on the task bar or use the search box to open it?

I would also suggest this route. Press Win-key, start typing the shortcut name.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I guess I'll keep doing Win+Tab - Desktop 2 - Open Program - Move to Desktop 1, but you'd think that Windows would have a feature to look at the desktop temporary.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Jack Trades posted:

I guess I'll keep doing Win+Tab - Desktop 2 - Open Program - Move to Desktop 1, but you'd think that Windows would have a feature to look at the desktop temporary.

Win+M to minimize all windows, Win+Shift+M to restore everything that the last win+m minimized

Keep computing like a grandma with slightly less fiddle faddle.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Klyith posted:

Win+M to minimize all windows, Win+Shift+M to restore everything that the last win+m minimized

Ah, that's useful. Thanks.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Klyith posted:

drat it, I posted this then "deleted" my post (that's my useless post earlier) because I thought it wouldn't help for some reason

I remember it because it was in Windows before win+d, iirc

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Is there a reliable way to download YouTube videos these days? Without resorting to shady websites or malware?

*I'm comfortable with basic Python scripting if there is an option there.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Jdownloader2?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Why wouldn’t you use whatever replaced yt-dl?

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Hughmoris posted:

Is there a reliable way to download YouTube videos these days? Without resorting to shady websites or malware?

*I'm comfortable with basic Python scripting if there is an option there.
What do you mean these days? Youtube-dl and now
Yt-dl
Has been a thing for years.

Hed posted:

Why wouldn’t you use whatever replaced yt-dl?

yt-dl replaced yt-dl

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

if you just want a clean website for downloading videos then https://cobalt.tools

open source, no ads, no nonsense

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

MikusR posted:

What do you mean these days? Youtube-dl and now
Yt-dl
Has been a thing for years.

yt-dl replaced yt-dl

Well not really, yt-dlp is what you want

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

repiv posted:

if you just want a clean website for downloading videos then https://cobalt.tools

open source, no ads, no nonsense

Oh, that seems nice. Thanks.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

this has probably been asked, but it's hard to find via search.

in any case, i've had my lenovo win11 laptop for about a year a half. it's fine, except for it randomly becoming nonresponsive after it sleeps...sometimes.

like, this morning, i came to it and moved the mouse and pressed some keys and nothing happened. given my experience, i knew it had fallen into its coma. so in trying to wake it up from that, i then held the power button for like a minute, which did nothing. i then repeated all these things, plus ctrl+alt+del thinking windows might still be on in there somehow, continuously.

after about 10min or so of different combinations and what not, it shuts off after another hold of the power button. i then boot normally. everything is as it was before it went to sleep for the night.

any idea what is going on or how i can read the logs to uncover what might be going on?

i think the first time this happened was about two months after buying it. then it happened for like four days straight. then it didn't happen until like a few months ago, then only for a single time. now it's happened twice in the last week.

as far as i can tell, nothing was updated from windows. certainly no hardware changes.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Kinda sorta feels like your bios or ec is stuck/crashing? See if there's a bios update for your system, ditto for chipset or "power management" software.

The power button is odd, the ec is supposed to respond to that no matter what (on paper). The goal is to have the power button engaged for approx 5 solid seconds. Perhaps your button is shite or has corrosion somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Arc review: Better way to organize tabs, not really offering much beyond that compared to other browsers, stick with Vivaldi for that chromium fix. I'll use it instead of Vivaldi because it's a lot less modular and that's a big appeal to me.