Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
really looking forward to the anime thread discovering chilchuk is a middle aged deadbeat dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

dragon enthusiast posted:

really looking forward to the anime thread discovering chilchuk is a middle aged deadbeat dad

I thought he was less of deadbeat and more just Very Divorced.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Yeah the Alicorn confirmed he was a 'faithful husband' and it was kind of implied the succubi took on the form of his wife.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah Chilchuck is not a deadbeat, as far as we know he's a good dad. His wife just left him, and that didn't happen until after their daughters were all adults

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
He might be the world's most divorced halfling, but more importantly, he is a union man through and through

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Senshi sitting him down to explain the birds and the bees is still such an amazing setup for the later punchline.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

VideoWitch posted:

Yeah Chilchuck is not a deadbeat, as far as we know he's a good dad. His wife just left him, and that didn't happen until after their daughters were all adults

Technically just separated. There's not even the hard line of a divorce to help him navigate the emotional mess.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Chilchuck presents as a deadbeat because he thinks that makes him come off better than admitting he doesn’t know why his wife left him.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Chilchuck has the same problem as Laos where he's basically a good person but his personality rubs people the wrong way so they assume he's up to something.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

chiasaur11 posted:

Technically just separated. There's not even the hard line of a divorce to help him navigate the emotional mess.

She didn't come to the party alongside the daughters, though. I don't think she ever took Chilchuck back. I say divorced.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
one of my favorite bits in the manga was when the halfling in Kabru's party is like "Chilchuck? that guy's bad news! as soon as you land in the island he strong-arms you into giving him a cut of your earnings for "protection"!"

and just a few chapters later you're like "actually you're a piece of poo poo scab and a slaver, gently caress off (or at least you think you're a slaver, turns out your slave only follows you around because he pities you)"

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Everything involving Kabru and his party is going to be fascinating to see how anime fan's opinions develop on in real time.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Unfortunately a decent bit of Kabru's party member backstories only really get shown in the Adventurers Bible and some of the one-page side comics. Hopefully they roll in some of the details from those in the later episodes, like how Rin ended up with the elves and meeting Kabru, or when Kabru is tutoring Kuro so he can talk to Mickbell.

Also hope they somehow capture a little of the Bible entries on the Canaries. Just so many great little side notes to characters.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Kuro being an intelligent and articulate guy whose just concerned about Mickbell is a very funny piece of characterization

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
It's a great take on the "Guy who sounds dumb is incredibly eloquent in their native tongue" trope.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

Everything involving Kabru and his party is going to be fascinating to see how anime fan's opinions develop on in real time.

I'm not ready to see people thinking badly about my boy Kabru.

They just don't know him like I do! :(

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Elfface posted:

"Do NOT gently caress the dwarf, we have only just met him. At least wait a week."

16, 16, and 14 years old.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Scholtz posted:

…in a setting where that’s long last past the age of majority for their species, physically, mentally, and culturally.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
The half-foot relative age thing is neat (unless you are like Otta, I guess), reminder that Chil-chuck is 28, which is like a year or two before the usual age of retirement for half-foots, so not only is he a deadbeat dad, he is deadbeat dad that would be around 60 in human years. Just a completely different vibe compared to his appearance.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

There's also the one Canary who's into half-foots and the others are like "you're loving goddamn 20-year-olds you pervert!"

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Scholtz posted:

Can you believe they breed dogs when they’re only two years old. Pedophilia!

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
Marcille at age 14: splashing around in puddles.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Chilchuk married and had kids by 13

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

A jargogle posted:

Marcille at age 14: splashing around in puddles.

Looks like the previous link got DMCA'd but found another copy:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Even with Otta she is certainly weird about it we are not suppose to think she is a straight up sex creep. Part of the initial joke is that she sold slaves, but all the canaries ignore that to crack wise about this instead. Its covering multiple fronts there about how the elves view other races.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
Would the elven government count "traveling with [adult-by-half-foot standards] half-foots" as kidnapping children/human trafficking?

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Probably not? At the very least we know Otta did actual human trafficking, her adventurer bible bio says when she was a merchant she "traded in all sorts of things, from ancient relics to monsters and humans"

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeah the halfling stuff has nothing to do with the human trafficking. Also, reading between the lines the thing that really got her in hot water there isn't the selling of slaves but ancient relics.

e: Dungeon Meshi elves are my favorite portrayal of elves because they massively suck in ways that feel more grounded and interesting than, oh they are just haughty.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 3, 2024

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yeah, I think the two main things about Otta are:
  • other elves are, broadly, way more scandalized by the fact that Otta is dating outside her race than by any the things that we would consider crimes, even if that is not actually what she is in jail for, and
  • Otta is not a very good girlfriend, but none of the other elves are ever going to figure out exactly why that is.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

I mean they're probably pretty scandalized by her crimes too, it's just the only elves we really see her interact with are other criminals

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeah, I think the big no no for elf society at large ultimately is the ancient artifacts but the canaries are also a weird sample group so its hard to get a good read on stuff. The other stuff winds you up in whatever normal elf jail is, not the suicide squad.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah it's worth remembering the Canaries aren't just made up of criminals, but specifically ones whose crimes involved ancient/forbidden magic

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I don't think the elves are scandalized by ancient magic.* Like, it's super-illegal for obvious reasons, but she was just doing it because she wanted money. That's not a scandal.

Now, dating a twenty-year-old half-foot (or was it a twenty-year-old long-legs? so hard to tell the difference)? That's scandalous!

* at least, not by someone selling it. Wolf-boy is probably scandalous.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Otta thing is a nested joke of she is a slaver but elves are way more shocked about the dating other races things which she gives a big speech about being more worldy and accepting than them only for it to be immediately revealed she'll only ever date someone for a couple of years and then ditch them as soon as they hit the equivalent of mid 20s because she is exactly as bad as every other elf in that group (except for Fleki and Lycion who have done nothing wrong ever).

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

They say the relationships end "once they hit past thirty" which is more the equivalent of like mid 40s

Otta's just not into MILFs

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeah she rules. She is basically dyke elf Leo but actually less creepy.

I was just worried because this thread felt like it was about to head in the direction of calling her a nonce which is both less interesting than what is actually going on, and also would be problematic she is the one character Ryoko Kui is straight up about being gay that isn't subtext or Namari's bisexual leg panic.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

bisexual leg panic is absolutely my new band name

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I just finished binging the manga in between episodes of the anime and I just want to say: what an incredible bit of fantasy storytelling. The way it slowly expands its scope, the bringing in new characters but always remaining laser-focused on the central themes - it's just fantastic! There's so much I'm excited to see animated now!

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
speaking in a broad sense, i think my favorite thing about Delicious Dungeon Meshi Meal Tragones Gluttons is that it starts with a silly high concept, and as the plot progresses it never unbecomes that, but it also adds, as a side dish, one of the best fantasy stories in recent memory. there are just so many action/comedy stories that grow tired of their own premise halfway through and devolve into generic battle arcs that maybe pay lip service to the original idea once every few episodes (read: every single isekai with a 20 word title)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The series mines the gently caress out of the thematic significance of consunption and desire. The Winged Lion is a great antagonist for actually developing those ideas with. I'm watching the show with my fiance who didn't read the manga and I'm very interested to see her take on it develop.