Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Eiba posted:

Come to think of it, has Luffy ever fought a shorter opponent? Even Usopp is slightly taller than Luffy, though they're almost the same size.

I had to look it up, the only character I could think of is Koby whose 2 inches shorter than Luffy post-growth spurt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Cat Machine posted:

”It is the most ridiculous power in this world!”

I hope Buggy busts this out vs Shanks

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Cat Machine posted:

”It is the most ridiculous power in this world!”

How…how does he make it move?

Eiba posted:

Lucci is almost exactly seven feet tall.

In terms of characters that don't completely dwarf Luffy, Buggy is only 6'4". Foxy is 5'11". Luffy is 5'8" for reference.

Come to think of it, has Luffy ever fought a shorter opponent? Even Usopp is slightly taller than Luffy, though they're almost the same size.

Man, would definitely not guessed Buggy as being almost six and a half feet tall, he gives off so much “I’m just a little guy, it’s my birthday, you wouldn’t punch the birthday boy would you?” energy.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

How…how does he make it move?

Man, would definitely not guessed Buggy as being almost six and a half feet tall, he gives off so much “I’m just a little guy, it’s my birthday, you wouldn’t punch the birthday boy would you?” energy.

That *is* a little guy in the OP universe.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://twitter.com/TCBScans/status/1754085233702457523

Scans are unaffected; their source is different.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

A thought on the Kuma flashback.

It was a GOAT flashback for sure, but the one thing that bugged me was the chapter where Kuma and Vegapunk make a deal with Saturn. His increasingly detailed and specific demands just seemed very stilted and artificial. I felt like it was pretty obvious the story wanted to go to a very specific place, but had trouble taking the last steps there in a natural way. Same with the CP0 lady tearing the letters apart, it felt like there was no reason for it other than "mean lady bad". While I do understand the surface level logic of preventing communication of secret messages etc between the two, that was not presented as a reason so it just came off as a random spiteful move. I felt like this transition into the last chapters took away some of their impact.

Another thing I felt like as well was that the overall story beats were very, very similar to early East Blue / Alabasta stuff. And we know Kuma and his cyborg-ish design has been a thing since around Jaya. This story must have been resting in Oda's head for almost 20 years! It's a remarkable writing feat to keep the lid so tight on so many ideas for so long. A lesser writer wouldn't have had that much patience.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

God speed you beautiful bastards

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Bisse posted:

it just came off as a random spiteful move

Yes, that is the point. Even when it gains them nothing, they are reflexively cruel. They will absolutely, positively brutalize everyone to the maximum degree possible....simply because they want to. They are monsters.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I mean, I kinda get OP’s point, (not sure if this actually merits spoiler tags but whatever)like yeah it is extremely on brand for a Celestial Dragon to do the things Saturn did, but as far as we know Alpha was just a Cipher Pol officer, and destroying the letters was just petty and vindictive in a way that served no purpose (which is fine) but ALSO just served no purpose to her job and actively impeded it. Like, Saturn started gloating about how he was the cause of Ginny and Bonney’s terminal illnesses, but he didn’t do it while negotiating with Kuma because that would just be stupid and lead to him going somewhere else to cure Bonney.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Last Celebration posted:

I mean, I kinda get OP’s point, (not sure if this actually merits spoiler tags but whatever)like yeah it is extremely on brand for a Celestial Dragon to do the things Saturn did, but as far as we know Alpha was just a Cipher Pol officer, and destroying the letters was just petty and vindictive in a way that served no purpose (which is fine) but ALSO just served no purpose to her job and actively impeded it. Like, Saturn started gloating about how he was the cause of Ginny and Bonney’s terminal illnesses, but he didn’t do it while negotiating with Kuma because that would just be stupid and lead to him going somewhere else to cure Bonney.

Hmm this is actually spot on. Like I had a general feeling something about her behaviour didn't click but this is right on the money. Sure, celestial dragons and CPX agents can be some absolutely heartless monsters, but they are also smart, patient and dedicated with a sense of duty. CP9 spent years pretending to be dockworkers without going out of cover for even a minute. Then here is this CP0 agent tasked with ensuring the WG a new superweapon who just, hates this kid for no specific reason, and actively risks her cover by interfering with the letters, for no reason other than "grr hatred evil". If she started spouting angry rants and doing this kind of stuff after having her cover blown or after mission completion, that wouldn't have felt as out of place. I think the plot just needed to go to "Kuma can't meet or communicate with Bonney" but had to stretch things out of shape a bit to get there.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
alpha was cutting off all communication because kuma might have let something slip. she took joy in doing so because she's horrible.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Is wapol a tall?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Wasn’t one of Saturn’s stipulations that Kuma and Bonney could not contact each other? If so than if anything, CP woman was being a hero by making sure that promise wasn’t broken so that Saturn wouldn’t retaliate

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
kuma was not allowed to meet bonney. letters were ostensibly permitted, but it's not like kuma could make sure that they were received.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

alpha was cutting off all communication because kuma might have let something slip. she took joy in doing so because she's horrible.

I mean, she’s already reading the letters since she’s bitching about how sappy they are, which kind of by default means there was nothing problematic or she’d just be gloating about how she stopped him from letting too much slip too.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's possible to hide information using shared experiences. stuff like "do you remember x" when it was actually y and only the people directly involved would know. it's real basic poo poo. what it comes down to is that the wg did not trust kuma at all. what could he tell bonney, and what difference would it make? that doesn't matter, but it's better to be safe than sorry. that it also allowed a cp agent on a poo poo assignment to get her jollies by being cruel to a sick child was beside the point.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

the cruelty is the point in our nuanced and complicated real world, why wouldnt the cruelty be the point in the cartoon fascist world too? this aint rocket surgery

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Burning the letters was primarily spiteful rather than serving a practical purpose. And that’s fine. Bad guys doing petty, mean and spiteful things is on brand.

It did end up blowing up in their faces by compelling Bonney to go out to sea to find Kuma, but Alpha didn’t know that would happen. Alpha probably expected Bonney to give up on Kuma after not hearing from him at all- bad guys underestimating other peoples sentimentality being something of a running theme for this arc.

And as far as Alpha knew Bonney was just a powerless sick child. If Kuma did sneak her some valuable intelligence there’s no expectation of her being able to act on it.

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

the invincible cyborg sent to kill him is actually his dad’s business partner,

Love the euphemism turning revolutionary soldiers into business partners.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Scholtz posted:

https://twitter.com/TCBScans/status/1754085233702457523

Scans are unaffected; their source is different.

Post deleted, but I'm guessing it's about
https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1754093396572999960?t=73fobbojwEwNJJrks4yjjA&s=19

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

It was OPscans

https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1754155345612537985?t=lNuX9Xh5ScJzl_XarwyYRg

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

hey all, i've been thinking about this chapter a lot since i read it, and i wanted to get down my thoughts on it because it really spoke a lot to me:

hell yeah dude. gently caress yeah!

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Buggy why did you make your face the seat of your Buggymobile

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Elite posted:

Love the euphemism turning revolutionary soldiers into business partners.

Dragon: Revolution is my business, and business is good!

The Kumamoto Cybercrime division eh?

“Wikipedia” posted:

The current Japanese orthography for Kumamoto literally means "bear root/origin," or "origin of the bear."

They got busted for leaking Kuma’s origin story, Oda fuckin’ does it again :aaaaa:

kidcoelacanth posted:

hell yeah dude. gently caress yeah!

:haibrow:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/one-piece-chapter-1106/chapter/41624?action=read

god gently caress yeah gently caress yeah gently caress yeah

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

oh

his laugh is lined up to the drum beat this entire time

cool poo poo

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Feb 4, 2024

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I think Oda even made sure that detail carried over to the anime voice acting

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
The_Boys_Are_Back_In_Town.mp3 played at five hundred decibels

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Potato Salad posted:

oh

his laugh is lined up to the drum beat this entire time

cool poo poo

I had to go back and read that to check.

Oda is the real Egghead.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Elite posted:

Burning the letters was primarily spiteful rather than serving a practical purpose. And that’s fine. Bad guys doing petty, mean and spiteful things is on brand.

It did end up blowing up in their faces by compelling Bonney to go out to sea to find Kuma, but Alpha didn’t know that would happen. Alpha probably expected Bonney to give up on Kuma after not hearing from him at all- bad guys underestimating other peoples sentimentality being something of a running theme for this arc.

And as far as Alpha knew Bonney was just a powerless sick child. If Kuma did sneak her some valuable intelligence there’s no expectation of her being able to act on it.
Yeah, I completely agree with this and just wanted to emphasize after reading the rest of the conversation that Alpha really had no reason to believe it could blow up in her face. What could Bonney possibly do if she found out?

From Alpha's perspective she's an incredibly elite government agent who's been tasked with babysitting the child of an ex-Revolutionary the government is blackmailing. She has every reason to view this child as an enemy. People in positions of power over helpless people have been crueler for fewer reasons. She has absolute power over someone she hates and views as helpless. What else is she going to do? And honestly the idea that there might be coded messages was more than enough cover for her cruelty.

All of this is to excuse the story, to be clear. Alpha is a viscerally loathsome piece of poo poo. I'd just argue she's a plausible one.

Her cruelty proving to be counterproductive is very thematically appropriate for this story where random acts of compassion are proving to undo the powerful authoritarian enemy's plans.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I managed to stay unspoiled except for one thing that didn't register until I saw it in the chapter itself, and just got around to reading it. this chapter is PEAK one piece

when did we last see dory and brogy? nearly a thousand chapters ago? jesus christ

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Captain Invictus posted:

when did we last see dory and brogy? nearly a thousand chapters ago? jesus christ

No, we saw them last year, ch 1079. It was them who destroyed kidd's ship after shanks one shot them

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

love the soldier that keeps his distance from Emperor Luffy because his thinks Luffy's gonna eat him too lol

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Julias posted:

No, we saw them last year, ch 1079. It was them who destroyed kidd's ship after shanks one shot them
ahhhh, right, right.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Anyways feels relevant to post this again:

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Still think it's kind of lame and fanservicey considering they were still fighting in Little Garden as of FIshman Island and now they're just abruptly not and also somehow all the way back at Elbaf.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ryaomon posted:

Still think it's kind of lame and fanservicey considering they were still fighting in Little Garden as of FIshman Island and now they're just abruptly not and also somehow all the way back at Elbaf.

We established they had stopped a year ago

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

We established they had stopped a year ago

It was? I thought they were still punching each other in the Decks of the World thing we got near the start of the New World.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Julias posted:

Anyways feels relevant to post this again:

Gonna be interesting to see what the WG does with the leakers, and if a new age of piracy will arise

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Last Celebration posted:

It was? I thought they were still punching each other in the Decks of the World thing we got near the start of the New World.

Again they were the ones who wrecked Kidd's ship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Again they were the ones who wrecked Kidd's ship

Yeah, we know, but that doesn’t address the “lame and fanservicey” thing OP brought up where as of a few weeks ago in-universe they were still fighting in Little Garden.

Personally I don’t care that much, I’m sure we’ll eventually get a “proper” explanation for why they suddenly abandoned their sick Viking fisticuff ritual death battles, but I was just asking for clarification on the in-universe timeline, since last I remembered they were still on Little Garden at the start of the timeskip, which doesn’t contradict the complaint someone else had.