Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Frank and Ernest

(12/27/1993)

(12/28/1993)

Ziggy

(8/23/1971)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Andertoons

Get Fuzzy 2/3/04

Brenda Starr 7/27/52

Smokey Stover 8/2/59

Everyday Movies 3/18/37

"You mind the stand a while -- but remember, if anyone gives you three coins stick 'em in your pocket quick. It can't be less than three pennies and they might make a mistake."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 1/24/43

This raises a question about Scarlet's powers. Her clothes turn invisible when she does, but can she make something she's holding, like a parachute, invisible too?

Closer Than We Think! 8/2/59 in futuristic COLOR.

I'm no aeronautical engineer but those look like they'd be kind of unstable.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Is Josh going to get himself fired? Do I dare to dream?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Selachian posted:

Closer Than We Think! 8/2/59 in futuristic COLOR.

I'm no aeronautical engineer but those look like they'd be kind of unstable.

The thing is, those "military models" were deadly as loving poo poo because it turns out trying to balance a flying thing in the air with four fans is really hard and in case for instance some air for some reason were to suddenly push you from the side, it's real easy to start tipping over and not be able to compensate.

E: on the one hand I definitely admire the strip's optimistic view of technology, and miss that general tone of the era's sci-fi when people dreamt of the possibilities new technologies might open up for us, but there's definitely an air of "flying cities in the cloud? They're happening within a few years! elon musk says so!" about the whole thing.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 4, 2024

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
It was a different time. They had optimism and hope for the future. Life hadn't yet viciously beaten out of the cartoonist, but it would eventually. For them and for everyone else, sooner or later.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Medenmath posted:

Prince Valiant

swifties from the goblins era are just way too into it

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

FoxTrot

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Hmm, Bizarro. Hmm.

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!
I mean, the cultural sensitivity of that Bizarro is appropriate to the last time The Lone Ranger was relevant, so it tracks.

Pluggers

Bill Cates has been sleeping on the couch for a month.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Pancho Jueves posted:

I mean, the cultural sensitivity of that Bizarro is appropriate to the last time The Lone Ranger was relevant, so it tracks.

Pluggers

Bill Cates has been sleeping on the couch for a month.

Nobody’s that stupid.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts (February 6, 1977)

Featuring Charlie Brown's previously undocumented superpower of mental telepathy.

that panel's really loving me up somehow

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

E: on the one hand I definitely admire the strip's optimistic view of technology, and miss that general tone of the era's sci-fi when people dreamt of the possibilities new technologies might open up for us, but there's definitely an air of "flying cities in the cloud? They're happening within a few years! elon musk says so!" about the whole thing.

Well, yeah, this is exactly what Elon Musk and his ilk are imitating.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

No.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Pull up, Bill! Pull up!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Samovar posted:

"I'm not liking you now, either."
I think it would be "I didn't like you before either" but it's a good line and you should submit it.
Someone who knows how to read music please tell me what this is.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Oh hey he's finally asking the question that everyone else in the world would have asked first thing.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Flash Gordon

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Murdstone posted:

Someone who knows how to read music please tell me what this is.

Looks like Fur Elise.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
drat, Cayden.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

So over on The Comics Curmudgeon Josh featured this Mark Trail comic, which lead to some interesting comments regarding whether horses are really an invasive species. Here is a link to article posted that points out horses did exist in North America about 10,000 years ago.

quote:

Rex Morgan MD

I've also been enjoying this Rex Morgan Rene / Jimmy misery parade. The contrast between his happy uncle and the expressions on Rene's face are what really sells it for me.

quote:

Mary Worth

If it turns out she's not his daughter I'm gonna scream.

The_Other fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 4, 2024

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Oh hey he's finally asking the question that everyone else in the world would have asked first thing.

I initially saw the plate in panel 3 as a bowie knife blade he was using to open cans.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

I really want to know if the terrifying clown face is a real toy. We'd have a competitor to Mr. Bucket.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 4/17-19/52

Compeer.

Cowbirds, like cuckoos, are known for dumping their eggs in other birds' nests for them to hatch and raise.

Archie 6/20-22/49

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 1/9/77

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

Is “you lose your appetite in summer” just a Japan thing? I can’t remember hearing it before I came here, but it’s just a completely accepted bit of conventional wisdom here so I have no idea how accurate or widespread the idea is.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Forum accident posted:

Ziggy
(8/23/1971)

Heh. You know what, Old Ziggy's all right by me.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

THORN, October 14-20, 1983

Phoney Bone saying what several readers have been saying!

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Bluebeard Affair

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple 20: Extreme Freaks

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

John Allison posted:

JASON! I put him at the top of the page months ago and he never appeared. Well, he’s here now, as blue and lovely as ever. It’s Jason’s time to shine!!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Selachian posted:

Archie 6/20-22/49

Why in the world would you look at Archie's paper? He's one of the biggest idiots in the entire school.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Poil posted:

Why in the world would you look at Archie's paper? He's one of the biggest idiots in the entire school.

you look at archie's paper and put down the opposite. easy.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Poil posted:

Let's be honest, Reggie's one of the few that gives him competition.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Tongue Child Adventures

Didn't Need The Second Punchline

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing

Is “you lose your appetite in summer” just a Japan thing? I can’t remember hearing it before I came here, but it’s just a completely accepted bit of conventional wisdom here so I have no idea how accurate or widespread the idea is.
Well, you burn calories more when you're cold to keep your body warm. I've never thought of it in quite those terms, but that's just because I think of it more as each person's caloric needs vary based on their body, their environment, and the level of activity they're doing, which is why someone doing manual labor all day should be eating more than someone else the same size that's primarily working at a desk, if other factors are similar.

So, like... as long as other factors are similar, you'd theoretically need more calories in winter than in summer, but if you're in temperature regulated spaces most of the day I'm not sure how much you're going to notice? AFAIK Japan can also get quite hot in the summer, it's in the temperate zone where seasonal temperatures vary quite a bit, so it might also have a factor of heat-stress cutting down appetite if people aren't in an air-conditioned space? If you're too hot, you do lose your appetite.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Murdstone posted:

Flash Gordon

okay so that isn't necessarily false, but...

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Schwarzwald posted:

okay so that isn't necessarily false, but...
Yeah, it's one of those things where you need to be developing that skill a lot more than just being a sighted person that throws a blindfold on, afaik, and it's also not as strong as echolocation or anything. Probably would have been better for him to just feel around and get the same result, because once you're guessing holograms are involved you could theoretically just start trying to stick your hand through things.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Giant Ethicist posted:

I remember it being a zookeeper thing here in AZ. The head curator hit me up when I was doing food prep and told me that in summer months, the mammals ate less but reptiles ate more, and converse in the cooler months.

I kinda wish the Mary Worth thing would end up with her not only not being his daughter, but the whole thing a scam.

wakka wakka
Oct 9, 2004

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Please let Wilbur be the father somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
It's A Sketchy Life for February 2, 1928. We start with a double dip from Don Herold.

Yet another one that I can't read the signature on, but it was too striking to leave out.

Harold Denison:

Dizzy:

And one from Miguel Mihura.