Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Your ag-extension might be a good bet. When I used to run a sewer plant, I’d take soil samples into the local UK extension for out of house testing. They had dozens of pamphlets on horticulture specific to the state and region. You might even be able to find them on line, for your state.

Marsupial Ape fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Shifty Pony posted:

Does anyone have a go-to guide for pruning fruit trees, specifically fig, peach, apple, and (Asian) pear? Preferably with good drawings of what needs to be done for 4-5yr old trees.

Most of what I'm seeing online seems to be non-experts crapping out hundreds of articles by copy pasting bits from other existing crap "articles" or AI-generate garbage.

Maybe I should reach out to my ag-extension or master gardeners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DrLHqF6YmQ

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Shifty Pony posted:

Does anyone have a go-to guide for pruning fruit trees, specifically fig, peach, apple, and (Asian) pear? Preferably with good drawings of what needs to be done for 4-5yr old trees.

Most of what I'm seeing online seems to be non-experts crapping out hundreds of articles by copy pasting bits from other existing crap "articles" or AI-generate garbage.

It's ironic to recommend print on the internet that killed print but the internet is garbage now so check the gardening section of your local library next time. 'Pirone's Tree Maintenance' will almost certainly be there and while it's not fruit-specific (tho I'm sure it does have a section on fruit trees, specifically) it's the bible of tree care and pruning.

And also, your local extension service probably has a million PDFs online about literally anything you could want to grow it if you don't want to go to the library. Googling 'whateveryouneedtoknow yourlocalorneighboringstate'slandgrantuniversity' will usually weed out the AI crap. If you're in the southeast, LSU Ag center, Alabama Cooperative Extension Service/Auburn and Clemson all put out really great publications on tons of stuff. Southern Living's website also has also reliably good advice.

Here's a few:
Peaches from ACES
Figs from ACES again
Pears generally from UGA
And Asian Pears specifically from Clemson
Apples From Virginia Tech
Apples AND Pears from Clemson

Mr. Barnesworth
Jun 28, 2008

I said GOOD DAY, sir!

Shifty Pony posted:

these videos got me started as far as a general approach to pruning fruit trees and training branches for fruit. He sells an expensive pruning course on his website that I can't vouch for but his documentary on his orchard is interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BWKFXZDxzg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0tTc00PSEI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5vw78XRpNg

Mr. Barnesworth fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Dec 31, 2023

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Marsupial Ape posted:

Your ag-extension might be a good bet. When I used to run a sewer plant, I’d take soil samples into the local UK extension for out of house testing. They had dozens of pamphlets on horticulture specific to the state and region. You might even be able to find them on line, for your state.

As a New Yorker just moved to the 'ville, I have now just learned about the local extensions of UK and I am very much stoked. We also used the annual Barnes & Noble hardcover sale to pick up Self-Sufficiency for the 21st Century for some urban gardening ideas (and also the Noma guide to Fermentation because hey, sale). It'll be a fun Spring and Summer.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I've got a young Japanese plum (ume) tree in a pot. I put it in the garage for the cold season, it gets absurdly cold outside but the heated garage stays at 40-45.

Unfortunately, the tree has started blossoming. What's the right move? Keep it in place (40 degrees, minimal water, basically no light), move it inside the house, or stick it outside (it's not super, super cold) to try to trick it back into dormancy?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Once it's started blossoming, it's way too late to push it back into dormancy.

If you put it outside, you will lose this year's crop but you may be able to prevent it from leafing out now. Is there a downside to leaving it where it is?

E: buy a grow spotlight. They're pretty cheap now. Then water it.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Once it's started blossoming, it's way too late to push it back into dormancy.

If you put it outside, you will lose this year's crop but you may be able to prevent it from leafing out now. Is there a downside to leaving it where it is?

E: buy a grow spotlight. They're pretty cheap now. Then water it.

No real downside other than I have to set up another grow light in the garage. A grow light and letting it do its thing is probably for the best anyway. This poor tree had a rough season last year with being planted, dug back up when the landscapers needed to tear my yard up, and then underwatered when I was on vacation.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Just a reminder, local plant nurseries are starting to have bare root fruit trees (at least here in California)

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

The seed catalogs begin again.

Anyone got new plant ideas? I'm going to really scale back on peppers this year, focus on tomato and squashes I think.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Not really new, but new to me: Swiss chard. I just love beet greens so much that I figured I might as well try chard. I've got Fordhook Giant (husband's request because it has a cool name) and Ruby Red seeds on their way!

"Giant" or extra large varieties of things tend not to do so well in my area's brutal summer heat, but we'll see how it goes!

Also got a raised bed going this year! I'll do square foot gardening with it. It's a Birdie's tall 6-in-1, resting on the sunny part of my yard (a concrete patio), half filled with old oak wood and random yard detritus to make my wallet a little happier with how much soil it needs.

Still planning on some buckets too: mint, maybe a spring round of carrots since the carrots have loved their bucket this winter.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
I plan on getting some strawberry spinach seeds to try.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

mischief posted:

Anyone got new plant ideas? I'm going to really scale back on peppers this year, focus on tomato and squashes I think.

Same. Four kinds of tomatoes, two kinds of jalapenos, beets. Three kinds of sunflowers, three kinds of marigolds. Lime basil and lemon balm. Couple squash, some beans on sunflowers maybe, and the established bed of asparagus/strawberry.

In my mind this qualifies as "simplifying."

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 12, 2024

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

effika posted:

Not really new, but new to me: Swiss chard.

Fordhook is pretty hardy in both really hot and frost temperatures. I'd recommend planting pretty close together so they stay shaded on the sides. Another chard thing is, like beet greens, it's halophytic. Which normally means salt-tolerant but I also discovered if you have especially salty soil the greens will come pre salted as well

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

mischief posted:

I'm delving into Dwarf Tomato Project stuff this year. I'm container bound, otherwise I would be checking out more of the Wild Boar options (although the DTP Fred's Tie Dye appears to be a dwarf of a Wild Boar variety).

I will also be grafting figs and citrus into Frankentrees :science:

Chad Sexington posted:

In my mind this qualifies as "simplifying."

I too was going to make such a claim until I started typing it out, and lol lmao nvm

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Discussion Quorum posted:

I'm delving into Dwarf Tomato Project stuff this year. I'm container bound, otherwise I would be checking out more of the Wild Boar options (although the DTP Fred's Tie Dye appears to be a dwarf of a Wild Boar variety).

same here, i bought a bunch of varieties from victory seeds on a whim one night and now have a few dozen seedlings just starting to put on their first pair of true leaves

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Soul Dentist posted:

Fordhook is pretty hardy in both really hot and frost temperatures. I'd recommend planting pretty close together so they stay shaded on the sides. Another chard thing is, like beet greens, it's halophytic. Which normally means salt-tolerant but I also discovered if you have especially salty soil the greens will come pre salted as well

Yeah, that big temperature tolerance range is one reason why I said OK to Fordhook despite it being a bigger-leafed variety. My square foot gardening book recommends 4 per square for chard, so I'll see where that gets me.

Mr. Barnesworth
Jun 28, 2008

I said GOOD DAY, sir!
My old standard for the chards in the garden is 'Perpetual Spinach'. Grows like a weed all summer and the texture is close to spinach, but chardy. Holds up to cooking better that spinach for stir fry's and the like. Ordered some 'Charbell' chard and 'Black Magic' kale to tryout this year.

Just ordered some of those strawberry spinach seeds to try as well, that looks like an interesting plant. Could probably make a vinaigrette from the berries and strain out the seeds.

Mr. Barnesworth fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 16, 2024

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Wrong thread/right thread to ask about preferred greenhouse DIY construction info/resources? Beginning to plan a build to start maybe late this year or early next year for a backyard greenhouse. Likely cinder block foundation/lower wall, gas heat, irrigation, etc, meant to keep warm through winter in zone 8b. Looking for ideas, info on materials, framing, pitfalls etc.

Like, if wood frame, does it absolutely need to be treated lumber? Double wall vs quad wall polycarbonate glazing, is it overkill? How to figure out BTU needs for heating, down into the 20s or teens, as well as appropriate ventilation for temps approaching 100F on hottest days? Benefits of foundation choice? Irrigation system recommendations, especially if they allow for in-line fertilization or other additives as well as hookup to rain barrels? And so on.

skylined! fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 25, 2024

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi

skylined! posted:

Wrong thread/right thread to ask about preferred greenhouse DIY construction info/resources? Beginning to plan a build to start maybe late this year or early next year for a backyard greenhouse. Likely cinder block foundation/lower wall, gas heat, irrigation, etc, meant to keep warm through winter in zone 8b. Looking for ideas, info on materials, framing, pitfalls etc.

I'm interested in this info as well, if anyone has recommendations! More like 5b/6a for me though.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

skylined! posted:

Like, if wood frame, does it absolutely need to be treated lumber? Double wall vs quad wall polycarbonate glazing, is it overkill? How to figure out BTU needs for heating, down into the 20s or teens, as well as appropriate ventilation for temps approaching 100F on hottest days? Benefits of foundation choice? Irrigation system recommendations, especially if they allow for in-line fertilization or other additives as well as hookup to rain barrels? And so on.

Greenhouse Management Online from the University of Arkansas seems to cover a lot of that! It's a bit dated but the text should be sound.

And by dated, I mean:

quote:

This site is best experienced in the most recent versions of Internet Explorer or Firefox on Windows. Apple Quicktime, Windows Media Player, and Adobe Flash Player are required for video. Please disable your pop-up blocker or you will not be able to view the images.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

There aren't any RealPlayer embeds so you know they're idiots. Sheesh.

I am very interested in greenhouse chat, jokes aside. I've always wanted a nice greenhouse and we've always just settled for high tunnels or other way less cool solutions. I want a greenhouse where I can grow obscure jungle plants that may or may not try to eat my pets. And weed. Maybe a weeds.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
I am mostly tired of giving up like 150 sq ft in my house for grow tents for finnicky plants that don't like to stray outside of a narrow temp/humidity range and watering everything weekly. I am pretty sure I can dig a trench, lay cinder block and build a wood frame, also seems reasonably cheap compared to hiring someone to do it/paying for a flimsy kit every few years.

Thanks for the link!

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
Is this the place to ask questions about gardening in an apartment/flat?

I've got a little bit of south facing balcony I want to fill with pots and do something with, but I've got little experience in the matter.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Container gardening is gardening.

I started with herbs in small pots and still have them outside my back door. Which herbs you should grow depends on what you like to cook and what your climate is.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
Start with some kind of mint- they’re pretty hard to kill and a first success goes a long way towards trying something cooler.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

emphasis on container though ; mint will happily annex any space it has access to

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
basil, rosemary, and thyme are also very easy to grow and very nice to have if you enjoy cooking

i've also had success with kale and chard in my lil porch garden, likewise cherry tomatoes and peppers though those are going to be more temperature / location dependent

fabric pots are cheap and work well in my experience and make it easy to move plants around

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i have a huge balcony garden its great. you can grow most things in containers really

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

i dont know how big of a shot in the dark this might be but might as well ask,
i've recently been getting an interest in growing a citrus tree eventually and landed on satsuma because i remember i love eating the ones from these boxes. i don't know who else might even know this brand but the blue jay satsuma mandarins:

the issue is that i learned that even a family such as satsuma has a ton of varieties like owari and brown hat or whatever. would anyone just know offhand what type of satsuma these ones would be?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Futaba Anzu posted:

i dont know how big of a shot in the dark this might be but might as well ask,
i've recently been getting an interest in growing a citrus tree eventually and landed on satsuma because i remember i love eating the ones from these boxes. i don't know who else might even know this brand but the blue jay satsuma mandarins:

the issue is that i learned that even a family such as satsuma has a ton of varieties like owari and brown hat or whatever. would anyone just know offhand what type of satsuma these ones would be?

I wouldn’t worry about it too much tbh

Blue Jay probably uses whatever the most commercially common varietal is if they don’t have their own in-house strains. Depends on what their production/sourcing looks like and where in the world it is.

don’t grow a citrus from seed or whatever. If you want fruit just spend the $100-300 and get a potted grafted tree of a decent size. It will want to live outdoors over the spring and summer but it should live inside over the fall and winter (unless you live at the equator) where it will make your house smell lovely. Make sure it stays well hydrated or the leaves will fall off.

The <3 feet ones will grow a fruit or three in a season but they’ll really struggle with them. You’ll be waiting and fretting over them for a few years until they get big enough to reliably bear fruit for you. A seedling or a tiny <1 gal pot will have you waiting a decade+.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

trilobite terror posted:

I wouldn’t worry about it too much tbh

Blue Jay probably uses whatever the most commercially common varietal is if they don’t have their own in-house strains. Depends on what their production/sourcing looks like and where in the world it is.

don’t grow a citrus from seed or whatever. If you want fruit just spend the $100-300 and get a potted grafted tree of a decent size. It will want to live outdoors over the spring and summer but it should live inside over the fall and winter (unless you live at the equator) where it will make your house smell lovely. Make sure it stays well hydrated or the leaves will fall off.

The <3 feet ones will grow a fruit or three in a season but they’ll really struggle with them. You’ll be waiting and fretting over them for a few years until they get big enough to reliably bear fruit for you. A seedling or a tiny <1 gal pot will have you waiting a decade+.

yeah i'm not like that one guy a couple months ago that insisted on growing from seed, i was going to buy potted one from a nearby nursery (although most I see are around $50-60 and come in a 1gal pot size so idk what's up with that compared to the prices you listed). I also wanted to further ask then would a satsuma be alright in a 5 gallon pot? what would be the projected harvest from that over how many years of catch up growth?

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

OscarDiggs posted:

Is this the place to ask questions about gardening in an apartment/flat?

I've got a little bit of south facing balcony I want to fill with pots and do something with, but I've got little experience in the matter.

I would recommend looking into self-wicking buckets for balcony gardening. You can build some really easy or buy a pre-built kit like an earthbox. I had great success last year with hot peppers in a small 8x5ish spot of full sun.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Futaba Anzu posted:

yeah i'm not like that one guy a couple months ago that insisted on growing from seed, i was going to buy potted one from a nearby nursery (although most I see are around $50-60 and come in a 1gal pot size so idk what's up with that compared to the prices you listed). I also wanted to further ask then would a satsuma be alright in a 5 gallon pot? what would be the projected harvest from that over how many years of catch up growth?

You want like a 4-6 foot tree to start with. Really the bigger the better, but that’s gonna be up to the space you’re planning to overwinter it in

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Basil, mint, rosemary, and thyme are must-haves but don't sleep on chives. No more buying a packet for $3-$4 and only using half of the limp watery stuff in the packet before it goes yellow and brown.

Want chives on your scrambled eggs? Snip, snip, yum. On your potatoes? Snip, snip, yum. Mushrooms? Chicken breast? Bagel with cream cheese? Turkey sandwich? Mac and cheese? Go nuts because the more you eat, the more they grow.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Discussion Quorum posted:

Basil, mint, rosemary, and thyme are must-haves but don't sleep on chives. No more buying a packet for $3-$4 and only using half of the limp watery stuff in the packet before it goes yellow and brown.

Want chives on your scrambled eggs? Snip, snip, yum. On your potatoes? Snip, snip, yum. Mushrooms? Chicken breast? Bagel with cream cheese? Turkey sandwich? Mac and cheese? Go nuts because the more you eat, the more they grow.

your neighbors are gonna hate you if you grow a bunch of chives and let it go to seed

poo poo spreads like crazy

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
that's just free chives though

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Good news, chive flowers are edible and make your salad feel 300% fancier

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

trilobite terror posted:

You want like a 4-6 foot tree to start with. Really the bigger the better, but that’s gonna be up to the space you’re planning to overwinter it in

the current place i live at, i don't think i can reasonably keep something that is full bushed out at 5-6 feet high, it'd basically cover my entire entrance way lol. i guess this would just be a consideration i make whenever/if i confirm moving somewhere else then..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Even dwarf citrus get pretty big (by patio/container standards), they just do it more slowly. My MIL's are each in a half whiskey barrel.

If you need something that can be kept truly compact, consider a dwarf fig variety like Little Miss Figgy or Petite Negri. Even a regular fig can be kept pretty compact for a while if you learn how to prune effectively.

Strawberries and alpine strawberries in balcony containers are very much a thing. If your balcony is high enough you don't get squirrels, you may even get to eat a few.