Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

mewse posted:

I'm probably not reading this right but doesn't this suggest it could be the Maer and not the opposite?

I might have worded that poorly, but the Maer’s colors match the Pentinent King, the guy who replaced the King that Kvothe killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Iirc, the Maer's ancestors were kings, and now he's an almost-king, paying taxes to the king of Vintas but otherwise being mostly free to do whatever he wants.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Kchama posted:

He didn't even GET to the recap! He was defeated the FOREWORD.

The foreword was the real Kingkiller all along

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Vintas was a kingdom, but at some point got subsumed and now the Maer is the title of what is effectively a Duke with a lot of autonomous powers

If you're paying CK3 Calanthis only has Level 1 Crown Authority on him with a Scutage contract.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

Vintas was a kingdom, but at some point got subsumed and now the Maer is the title of what is effectively a Duke with a lot of autonomous powers

If you're paying CK3 Calanthis only has Level 1 Crown Authority on him with a Scutage contract.

It's the opposite. It was once imperial holdings and broke free. But yes, the Maer is like a duke.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

He's gonna kill a king the exact same way he killed a dragon. It won't technically be a king, just some hereditary monarch at the head of some feudal system.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
It turns out he killed Abe Frohman, the Sausage King of Chicago.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Well that would be an interesting story beat, so guess how I know it's not true.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Lottery of Babylon posted:

So who's on the throne now?

The throne of what?

Is the University in the area governed by this throne? What about Inquisition City? What about the Mayor's City?

Is the Mayor a vassal of a king? If not, how is he not a king himself? If so, why is this never mentioned?

Are there other kings at all, or just the one?

A major plotline in the second book is an attempt to assassinate the Mayor. Is there a single actual suspect for who might benefit from this and have a motive and might be behind it?

It's genuinely baffling that in a series praised for its worldbuilding, the world seems so... unbuilt.

Well we've got University Town right next to Religion Town which is also Slum and Crime Town.

Also, those two towns are, iirc, in the Commonwealth which doesn't have a king but has ??? while the only named king is the king of Vintas. This is also separate from the Small Kingdoms who I guess are a collection of Kingdoms Rothfuss couldn't be assed to name or think about, so Kvothe could go kill some king nobody gives a poo poo about in bumfuck nowhere.

There is also an Empire at the center of all this but that Emperor does nothing, as far as I can tell, nor does that Empire have any particular military or cultural hegemony over any of its presumed former holdings. Kvothe iirc comes from that central Empire but nobody seems to notice or care and there is zero thought given to any of this.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 10, 2024

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

Well we've got University Town right next to Religion Town which is also Slum and Crime Town.

Also, those two towns are, iirc, in the Commonwealth which doesn't have a king but has ??? while the only named king is the king of Vintas. This is also separate from the Small Kingdoms who I guess are a collection of Kingdoms Rothfuss couldn't be assed to name or think about, so Kvothe could go kill some king nobody gives a poo poo about in bumfuck nowhere.

There is also an Empire at the center of all this but that Emperor does nothing, as far as I can tell, nor does that Empire have any particular military or cultural hegemony over any of its presumed former holdings. Kvothe iirc comes from that central Empire but nobody seems to notice or care and there is zero thought given to any of this.

The Religion that notably hates the University and magic-users and is just a couple away days by slow wagon.

Also everyone who lives at the University Town all think wizards are Up To Something and bad, despite literally living on Wizard School grounds.

But yeah the world is extremely thinly sketched. Like you hear about a lot of places but none of them are particularly described or gone in very deep. Tarbean gets the most description and it's a one-and-done location for only the first bit of the first book.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

PeterWeller posted:

He's gonna kill a king the exact same way he killed a dragon. It won't technically be a king, just some hereditary monarch at the head of some feudal system.

Or it was a real king, but it was an accident. Or it was the wrong king, he killed the good one by mistake. Or any other zinger you can think of.

Which is what I thought I was getting after the first thirty pages or so of NotW: a gently caress-up fail-forward rear end in a top hat admitting all the amazing stories about him were total bullshit, basically a better reputation fantasy Flashman. I can think of about three thousand ways of this being better than whatever we actually got.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kchama posted:

The Religion that notably hates the University and magic-users and is just a couple away days by slow wagon.

Also everyone who lives at the University Town all think wizards are Up To Something and bad, despite literally living on Wizard School grounds.

But yeah the world is extremely thinly sketched. Like you hear about a lot of places but none of them are particularly described or gone in very deep. Tarbean gets the most description and it's a one-and-done location for only the first bit of the first book.

This continues to be probably the 'best' dumb thing in the setting (the matriarchal sex ninja society is just dumb at every level) and also really drives home how dumb people who praise Rothfuss's "worldbuilding" are. There's no explanation as to why the church hasn't burned Great Value Hogwarts to the ground and executed every single student and teacher. In Tarbean(?) they show up and just arrest a dude for telling stories so it's not like the church is unwilling to act heavy-handed and there's nothing about the school that suggests they're so powerful that the church is afraid of losing if they attack it. If it's because of something like "the school has a defense pact with literally the rest of the world if the church attacks" is never mentioned or even hinted at iirc.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

This continues to be probably the 'best' dumb thing in the setting (the matriarchal sex ninja society is just dumb at every level) and also really drives home how dumb people who praise Rothfuss's "worldbuilding" are. There's no explanation as to why the church hasn't burned Great Value Hogwarts to the ground and executed every single student and teacher. In Tarbean(?) they show up and just arrest a dude for telling stories so it's not like the church is unwilling to act heavy-handed and there's nothing about the school that suggests they're so powerful that the church is afraid of losing if they attack it. If it's because of something like "the school has a defense pact with literally the rest of the world if the church attacks" is never mentioned or even hinted at iirc.

choosing to deliberately not write words is as powerful as writing them

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

My genuine impression is because Tarbean and Imre are basically from two different stories entirely. They weren't written with a connection in mind and Rothfuss does very little work to try and make them fit in with the other pieces. Which is how you get the contradiction of Tarbean being close enough to Imre to trivially travel to and the religion in Tarbean being extremely strong to the point that they're the dominant religion in the world too and have mercenary armies and the such but we've never actually seen them outside of the Tarbean section. The religion in general is pretty much confined to Tarbean, too.

And of course, it is heavily implied that the only religious figure we've seen, Justice Erlus, is implied to be the Chandrian Cinder due to the Evil Tree mentioning that Kvothe has met Cinder twice and adds "you'd think a coal-eyed man would stand out." And the only person with coal eyes besides Cinder is Erlus, and he also has 'a sooty beard'. And the guy who he grabbed for being a heretic is all "Tehlu hates you more than anyone else, which is quite a bit." It's not exactly subtle, but none of Rothfuss's intended foreshadowed stuff has been. He's also obviously Master Ash, cinder, ash, geddit? And him guessing Master Ash's true name ends up spelling out Cinder's true name.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

There's some mention that Hogwarts and the Inquisition sort of just pretend not to notice each other when Kvothe is asked to go away for a few semesters because his trial was too high-profile. But there's no indication of why they have this truce.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The second time he met Cinder was in the woods when he did the galvanic arrow thing.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

M_Gargantua posted:

The second time he met Cinder was in the woods when he did the galvanic arrow thing.

I'm sure there's a perfectly good and well-thought-out reason for Cinder to be faffing about in the woods with some bandits attacking tax collectors, and not just Rothfuss realizing his 1100-page book had zero progression of the main plot and hastily scribbling in "uhh and the bandit captain was a chandrian" in crayon.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

Honestly, Rothfuss could have just forgotten that he implied the bandit was a Chandrian. It really didn't make sense at the time or like, ever.

Erlus is conflated with the Chandrian a lot more, considering that after he meets Erlus, Kvothe even remarks that Erlus reminded him a lot of the time he met Haliax and Cinder. Skarpi, the guy he arrests, is supposedly going to be super important in the future and he's implied to be actually someone important in general. He knows way more of the setting's backstory than anyone else.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Isn't the bandit interlude so weirdly placed into the narrative that it's very clearly a different short story he took and just changed the names around?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

pentyne posted:

Isn't the bandit interlude so weirdly placed into the narrative that it's very clearly a different short story he took and just changed the names around?

Yes. The entire Maer section has a bunch of stuff just dropped in like that. See: the Felurian.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Hey new boo^H^H^Heditions coming out! Yours for the low low price of $1500!

https://grimoakpress.com/pages/faq-name-of-the-wind

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

The top-tier editions sold out in minutes.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

quote:

$1500 Triple-Signed & Rare genuine-leather edition with
-14 full-color interior illustrations,
- a full-color signature page,
- 4 full-color fold-out illustrations (dust jacket art from S&N editions plus 2 bonus fold-out illustrations),
- ribbon,
- hubs on spine,
- heavier paper,
- thicker boards,
- clamshell included

i can't even hate on this hustle, mofos out here dropping a midwest suburban mortgage payment as fast as they can some color pages and basic book ornamentation for a 17 year old fantasy book.

Like, at cost there's no way this is more then $30 of materials and labor. $100 if I'm being super generous and you know Rothfuss isn't commissioning $10k a piece artwork or anything.

Correct me with details please, but that's all basically exactly what book companies do to public domain works, dress them up to look super fancy, and then retail for $39.95 for the kinds of people who want those books visible in their home so guest see the gold color lettering on the spine and ask them about it.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 14, 2024

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

pentyne posted:

Like, at cost there's no way this is more then $30 of materials and labor. $100 if I'm being super generous and you know Rothfuss isn't commissioning $10k a piece artwork or anything.

You're way off on this. Here's Bill Schafer from Subterranean Press going over the math involved in these expensive editions:

quote:

Since this has come up elsewhere, let’s talk about lettered editions, with real math involved.
The print run and price point for this unnamed lettered edition were 26 copies at $850 apiece. 32 copies were actually produced. The author received two PCs, both Tim and I kept one, and two copies remain in our warehouse, in case legit lettered copies are lost or damaged, to be sent to the author or friends of the press, or used in a PC charity sale.
Gross sales: $22,100.00
Binding expenses: $11,691.00
Royalties: $3315.00
Total expenses: $15,006.00
Total profits so far: $7094.00
This means that 18 copies of the lettered edition needed to be sold before that edition became profitable.
The figures above amount to a profit of $273 per book, or would, without taking following into account:
- SubPress staff time devoted to the edition;
- Miscellaneous postage charges involved;
- Prorated cost for the artwork;
- Prorated cost for printing the unbound book blocks, and partially binding them before they’re sent to the specialty binder.
Please consider a few factors before evaluating whether you deem this level of profit excessive:
- This was not a huge book, so various costs were lower than some of our oversize editions. Those, at the same price point, are significantly less profitable.
- Though readers may think every lettered edition is guaranteed to sell out immediately, that is not an assumption we have the luxury of making.
Lettered editions with higher price points than the title above are almost always more profitable, but they:
- come with increased allocation of resources;
- are a riskier financial investment;
- allow us to use more expensive materials and features not possible at lower price points.

The cost for specialty binding of small print runs is substantial. Like at a bare minimum those clamshell cases cost $150 to the press because they're handmade. Paul Suntup of Suntup Editions literally bought a bindery in part to try to keep costs down. Reputable publishers like SubPress, Suntup, and Grim Oak are not fleecing customers, they're charging what they need to charge to make a reasonable profit on their books.

Also Rothfuss's involvement in this is a) signing signature sheets and b) collecting a check; he has nothing to do with Grim Oak. Honestly, as much as I dislike Rothfuss, the fact Grim Oak was able to secure the rights to this is amazing because DAW keeps a damned stranglehold on their titles, almost never allowing limited edition presses to do editions of their books. A lot presses have been trying for damned near 20 years to secure this deal, so kudos to Shawn and his team for landing it.

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 14, 2024

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
it is good, imo, that publishing is embracing the sales model as laid upon us by todd howard pbuh. did you like name of the wind? would you like to purchase it twelve more times?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ornamented Death posted:

You're way off on this. Here's Bill Schafer from Subterranean Press going over the math involved in these expensive editions:

The cost for specialty binding of small print runs is substantial. Like at a bare minimum those clamshell cases cost $150 to the press because they're handmade. Paul Suntup of Suntup Editions literally bought a bindery in part to try to keep costs down. Reputable publishers like SubPress, Suntup, and Grim Oak are not fleecing customers, they're charging what they need to charge to make a reasonable profit on their books.

Also Rothfuss's involvement in this is a) signing signature sheets and b) collecting a check; he has nothing to do with Grim Oak. Honestly, as much as I dislike Rothfuss, the fact Grim Oak was able to secure the rights to this is amazing because DAW keeps a damned stranglehold on their titles, almost never allowing limited edition presses to do editions of their books. A lot presses have been trying for damned near 20 years to secure this deal, so kudos to Shawn and his team for landing it.

drat those are serious numbers, small print runs look borderline ruinous if you don't presell before production.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

pentyne posted:

drat those are serious numbers, small print runs look borderline ruinous if you don't presell before production.

They absolutely are. It's an incredibly hard business with which to find success. My shelves are full of titles made by promising newcomers that crashed and burned because they didn't fully grasp the economics of the business.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

They should sell a box set of NotW and WMF and call it "The Complete Trilogy"

Justaddwater
Jul 4, 2006

Lottery of Babylon posted:

They should sell a box set of NotW and WMF and call it "The Complete Trilogy"

The complete lifetime literary works of Patrick Rothfuss collection.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Aww man, I bought a copy of The Last Unicorn in a Vibes & Scribes sale, and I just realised the forward is written by the bearded dweeb himself.

How many more years of not writing will it take for him to leave the discourse? In the time I typed this sentence Joe Abercrombie just released another book.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Aww man, I bought a copy of The Last Unicorn in a Vibes & Scribes sale, and I just realised the forward is written by the bearded dweeb himself.

How many more years of not writing will it take for him to leave the discourse? In the time I typed this sentence Joe Abercrombie just released another book.

yeah i mentioned it in the thread. the book itself is amazing and probably one of my favorite fantasy novels. I dont think his intro is that bad, hell i even agree with parts of it, but he mostly just jerks off about himself.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
It is that bad, if only because I want to think about Rothfuss jerking off not at all.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Redditor posted:

Wait... so all the people in this sub who heard that publisher's complaint, panicked, and instantly jumped to the conclusion that there was 0% chance the book would ever be published, with no reason to believe that, and then dominated this subreddit with their bitter laments every day since, may have been wrong?

You don't say...
aging very well

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
A technician at my new job lent me the KKC audiobooks and I just finished NotW and, uh, wow. poo poo's rough. Is Wise Man's Fear any better? I've been holding off on starting it because I can only take so much Weird Old Innkeeper Graphically Describes The Bodies Of Underaged Women From His Past, And Also His Weird Violent Fantasies.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

A technician at my new job lent me the KKC audiobooks and I just finished NotW and, uh, wow. poo poo's rough. Is Wise Man's Fear any better? I've been holding off on starting it because I can only take so much Weird Old Innkeeper Graphically Describes The Bodies Of Underaged Women From His Past, And Also His Weird Violent Fantasies.

Wise Man's Fear is worse, it introduces the sex ninjas who don't believe in pregnancy.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
And the Sex Faerie who is amazed at how good the protagonist is at doing sex, just like so many people in the first novel were amazed at how good he was at doing music and doing magic.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

WMF is a lot worse.

If you read it and then take a step back and look at it as a whole you could pretty much use those binder labels to pinpoint exactly where it was unrelated short stories just inserted into the text and worked up with the correct names.

The whole Tarbean poverty boy section of the first book is probably still the worst overall but WMF makes up for it in sheer quantity.

Literally all valid defense of the books are pretty much "unreliable narrator" and that it's all bullshit, which doesn't actually work for how this book series is set up.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Unreliable narrator works for me, because the way Kvothe describes everything just sounds like some poo poo he made up on the fly and isn't consistent at all. Like when he was in the Archives with the candle and got punished for it even though there's no reasonable way for that to be his fault within the story but everyone conveniently ignores that fact, that's just a person who's bad at lying underselling what they did that got them banned from the Archives because they want you on their side.

Similarly when the Fishery caught fire all of a sudden the Dangerous Plot Liquid became a lot less dangerous incredibly quickly so that the contrived rescue could happen, you know, like he lied about how dangerous Plot Juice is or lied about the events of the rescue and had already forgotten how hard he sold the Plot Juice two hours earlier.

The sexualization bugs me because it's a dude in like his 40s just waxing philosophic about all the women he wanted to gently caress but didn't, which is pretty normal, but also emphasizing how much he definitely still wants to gently caress those teenagers. Are the sex ninjas at least adults who are adult-coded and written as adults? Because that would be less bad.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Chicken Butt posted:

And the Sex Faerie who is amazed at how good the protagonist is at doing sex, just like so many people in the first novel were amazed at how good he was at doing music and doing magic.

Also he might have Named her, effectively putting her under his control and making her unable to resist him so... yeah. WMF is a legitimately awful book and anyone who unironically suggests and praises the Kingkiller book either has awful taste in books, truly horrific morals, or both.

Unreliable narrator works for me, because the way Kvothe describes everything just sounds like some poo poo he made up on the fly and isn't consistent at all. Like when he was in the Archives with the candle and got punished for it even though there's no reasonable way for that to be his fault within the story but everyone conveniently ignores that fact, that's just a person who's bad at lying underselling what they did that got them banned from the Archives because they want you on their side.

Let's not forget that Ambrose just happens to be harassing a female student when Kvothe first encounters him, since if Kvothe had acted like a self-entitled shithead without Ambrose coincidentally doing something worse, the reader/listener would infer that Kvothe is an rear end in a top hat who got put in his place by someone who was doing their job by not letting him in to the archives just because he wanted in.

Like, it's been said before, and often, but Rothfuss is a truly vile person with some profoundly hosed up views so I guess it's not too surprising that so many incels and others like them have glommed on to his garbage books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Rothfuss is a Joss Whedon feminist especially for all the negatively that can be associated with that term.