Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Here's today's Patreon SupSup's soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPsNQ6i2yoQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
More Patreon soup: I hope the instructors Jeffy wanted to impress have good senses of humor. Edit: also I guess Klein got something of an answer on how robust Alden's skill is.

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Feb 3, 2024

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
(SupSup 128) Either the instructors picked names from a hat or they deliberately set one team up to fail. Putting all three rank-discriminating glory-hounds on the same team as Max was always going to be a disaster (even if Mehdi doesn't seem to be as bad about either aspect as Marsha or WInston), and Vandy has zero charisma and no ability to lead, so any good ideas she had were wasted. Which, okay, maybe they'll learn something from it if the instructors dress them down hard enough in a debrief, but there's seven other people on the team who had to suffer through their object lesson. I'm interested to see where this is going, but it definitely damaged my impression of the teachers. (Big Snake is still cool, though.)

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Einander posted:

(SupSup 128) Either the instructors picked names from a hat or they deliberately set one team up to fail. Putting all three rank-discriminating glory-hounds on the same team as Max was always going to be a disaster (even if Mehdi doesn't seem to be as bad about either aspect as Marsha or WInston), and Vandy has zero charisma and no ability to lead, so any good ideas she had were wasted. Which, okay, maybe they'll learn something from it if the instructors dress them down hard enough in a debrief, but there's seven other people on the team who had to suffer through their object lesson. I'm interested to see where this is going, but it definitely damaged my impression of the teachers. (Big Snake is still cool, though.)

I really can't agree with that. These kids have been in school for less than a month. Are the teachers supposed to have such a thorough understanding of their foibles that they can create teams which balance personalities? And what about power or suitability to the course? They have to consider that too.

Even assuming you think it's crucial the teachers do such a thoroughly perfect job or team balancing, did they mess up that badly?

I feel like Alden's team had similar potential issues. Reinhardt showed some signs of rankism and glory hounding. The ice girl definitely cares about her image. Jeffy has a good heart but a bad head. Lexi has even less charisma than Vandy, somehow. Maricel is a powerhouse, but she's a follower-not a leader. The same goes for Lucille, with the additional wrinkle that she's going to be very cautious fighting others. If Alden hadn't calmly and empathetically made everyone clarify their priorities and get on the same page, they could have melted down just as hard as Winston's team.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Sup128 There's been a bunch of page count for it and the kids care a lot, but from the school's point of view, all the obstacle course stuff is just two random gym classes they slapped together at the last minute when Big Snake was unexpectedly absent. The results or teams aren't particularly important or permanent.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Foxfire_ posted:

Sup128 There's been a bunch of page count for it and the kids care a lot, but from the school's point of view, all the obstacle course stuff is just two random gym classes they slapped together at the last minute when Big Snake was unexpectedly absent. The results or teams aren't particularly important or permanent.
SupSup 128
I think that ultimately it will be pretty important for Alden as it demonstrates his leadership and conflict solving abilities in a team pretty handily. They've already seen him try to cheer on struggling classmates before like Soren with the climbing wall early on, but these obstacle course runs have really shown how he turned a 2 loss first session into a two win second session, while still moving from teammate to teammate encouraging them when they were getting frustrated or struggling (Lucille) and generally being pretty competent at using his skill and wordchain. Even Klein had to grudgingly admit that Alden has performed admirably here.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SupSup 128 While on one hand Alden owning Winston was fanservice, it was also cool so I like it. It was also very believable - Alden's ability is kind of a direct counter to overzealous speedsters. Even if they're prepared for it, it forces them to be cautious.

One interesting thing is that this chapter explicitly stated that Avowed directly impacting the things he's bearing has a much bigger cost than other things. It makes sense - as Alden mentions, it's basically a direct conflict of authority.

So Alden isn't going to be able to use his Skill much in an offensive-ish way like this against S-Ranks until his raw power increases a lot more, and even A-Ranks like Winston are taxing.

Alden also potentially revealed something here, since he used way more authority than he should have according to his fake profile (he said it uses most of his Skill's authority, and he tries to only use up to half in class). It comes down to whether the instructors (and other observers) are aware of the fact that a Skill like his would be more expensive when used "against" an Avowed. Which they could be, since knowing about authority isn't necessary to learn something like "certain Skills/abilities are much more expensive when applied to other Avowed."

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

I've been rereading SS (For the fourth time), and I've been reading really closely.

A few things jumped out at me:

1) The timeline. I haven't seen what better, smarter people have put together, but at one point he mentions 'the funeral in 10 days' - this might just be a typo though, since it doesn't seem to take 10 days, not with how tightly compressed it is. Assuming the Gloss is active then:

2) The Gloss has mind control capabilities. Alden mentioned that he could 'usually push the emotions down and behind and not let them bother him, but this time he just couldn't' (paraphrasing) - it makes me think The Gloss had an impact.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
is that actual mind control or is it like how marketing is mind control

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
This is the question that's come up a few times with Manon's power now too, so I do agree with your read there Selkie. Is it mind control to distract somebody or be friendly with them? To tailor their environment such that they only receive stimuli that push them in the way you want to move them?

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

A big flaming stink posted:

Aulia is an influencer.

cyrn
Sep 11, 2001

The Man is a harsh mistress.

A big flaming stink posted:

I read it as part of the extreme probability manipulation making today be that one rare day where your emotions are just too much to handle. Whereas Manon's seems to have the sinister requirement to intentionally extend their skill with the idea 'these people are just possessions for me to arrange' similar to how Alden trains his skill to work more broadly.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

cyrn posted:

I read it as part of the extreme probability manipulation making today be that one rare day where your emotions are just too much to handle. Whereas Manon's seems to have the sinister requirement to intentionally extend their skill with the idea 'these people are just possessions for me to arrange' similar to how Alden trains his skill to work more broadly.

What Manon does is evil, but it's probably an intended use. Or at least similar to an intended use. It's been pointed out before that the Artonan's who designed the System view Avowed as property.

Even if we think about the most positive spin on Avowed as "gifts from the universe;" well, you own gifts after they're given to you.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 5, 2024

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
SupSup: every time Kibby's mentioned but not on screen, the audience is going "where's Kibby"

it's me I'm the audience :ohdear:

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

LLSix posted:

What Manon does is evil, but it's probably an intended use. Or at least similar to an intended use. It's been pointed out before that the Artonan's who designed the System view Avowed as property.

Even if we think about the most positive spin on Avowed as "gifts from the universe;" well, you own gifts after they're given to you.

It doesn't just arrange people, but also explicitly their thoughts. Basing magic on the vagueness and malleability of language and perception clearly was a mistake!

quote:

[She] reprioritized their thoughts just a little… […]
She wasn’t a Sway. She couldn’t create ideas for people. She could only arrange what already existed in their minds

I did like Lute's more wholesome interpretation of the talent's mind-altering power though.

quote:

"Sounds like the mind control might be a desirable part of it, if it wasn’t a bad person using it that way.”
Alden threw his legs up onto the loveseat. “You think they want it to do that?”
“You think they designed one of their own favorite skills for their most frequently summoned class haphazardly?” Lute countered. “Tailor Environment is about arranging things so that they’re exactly where someone likes for them to be, right? Say you’re a wizard about to do some stressful wizard job. You snap your fingers, and a Rabbit appears. They clean your potion kitchen or whatever, prep your equipment in the perfect way and put all your tools exactly where they’ll be the most useful to you. Then, before you send them off with a pocketful of argold, you have them tuck your doubts and stresses behind task-focused thoughts so you can get down to business. Like having someone put the files in your head in order…it would be great.”

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Griddle of Love posted:

It doesn't just arrange people, but also explicitly their thoughts. Basing magic on the vagueness and malleability of language and perception clearly was a mistake!

I did like Lute's more wholesome interpretation of the talent's mind-altering power though.

I imagine the ethics of the power depend heavily on "how easily its use can be detected." If its use could easily be detected (which is probably the case in Artonan society, where magic involves use of authority and wizards - and presumably wizard-created technology - can presumably detect its use), it effectively becomes no different than any other sort of action. It's only "the ability to use it on people without them knowing" that makes it unethical.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I imagine the ethics of the power depend heavily on "how easily its use can be detected." If its use could easily be detected (which is probably the case in Artonan society, where magic involves use of authority and wizards - and presumably wizard-created technology - can presumably detect its use), it effectively becomes no different than any other sort of action. It's only "the ability to use it on people without them knowing" that makes it unethical.

I agree that the subtlety of the power in Anesidora makes it more attractive to evil people.

On the other hand; I notice when people punch me in the face.

It does not follow that I think it is ethical for people to punch me in the face.

I think consent is a pertinent issue here.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
That new RR ad absolutely owns lmao Hungry

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

LLSix posted:

I agree that the subtlety of the power in Anesidora makes it more attractive to evil people.

It does not follow that I think it is ethical for people to punch me in the face.

This does seem to be a minor theme in supsup, with consent and subtlety of powers factoring in to how they're viewed. Like clay zhao who can just murder people invisibly is viewed as less questionable than people who "just" read your mind, and the way the chainer skills require consent to be used on you (but eg a brute to the face doesn't).
It does a decent job of exploring how weird real people would get around powers I think.

E: i guess all I'm saying is that I think there's some intentionality in the writing here.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Consent (given, misinformed, not given, etc) is absolutely a huge theme throughout the work with many different aspects. The original earth contract, individual avowed contracts, Joe's extra contract, Lute's sharing needing consent, Hazel probably using her skill without consent on Alden, Lute's dodgy family contract, Alden's skill needing consent from people , etc etc.

E: also (patreon spoilers) emergency teleports, hell even Jeffy's spell

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 5, 2024

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

gonadic io posted:

did she crop the "too anime and lesbian" post

cause I think that would do work

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

gonadic io posted:

Where can people see RR story ads? All the ads I see on the site when I turn ublock off are third party stuff

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Extremely good :allears:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

this fuckin rules

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
RR ads can point to anything, Selkie famously has one that's a rickroll, but the majority point to RR novels. A few to Amazon.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

gonadic io posted:

I can't take credit for it! Except for paying the artists, I guess? The pixel art of the characters was made by one of the mods in my discord server, she made a whole series of them, almost all the characters in the story so far. They're not on the fanart page yet since she wants to complete the set before including them. The image itself was made as a joke, by a very long-time fan, and also posted in the server. Then somebody pointed out it was the exact right size for a RR ad and everybody said I should totally use it, so I got permission, and there it is! It's over on the fanart page with proper credit as well.

My readers and audience are great, there's so much fanart like this, and I'm really flattered and amazed by it.

Hungry fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 6, 2024

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

LLSix posted:

My point is just that if, to the Artonans, use of a power like this is hard to hide, it's no longer inherently unethical. It can be used in either beneficial or malicious ways, depending on the consent of the subject. But in human society it's inherently sus because people can't detect its use.

If its use could be easily detected it's not any different than "any other power that can be used for good or ill." So that could influence why the Artonans might view it as a useful power for the "helpful assistants" Avowed class (and differing cultural attitudes towards Sways).

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Has it ever been said if non-wizard Artonans have an authority sense? Or do the wizards just not give a poo poo about them either

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
One thing that's definitely not yet been stated is what happens if an avowed refuses a task, and the arbiter that then gets called rules against them for whatever reason. Is that when they get the Sways out?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

gonadic io posted:

Has it ever been said if non-wizard Artonans have an authority sense? Or do the wizards just not give a poo poo about them either

There have been non-artonan knights before. Though not in a long time. Mother stated as such. Unless they allowed people without authority senses into the knight cadre that's probably a good indication Alden is not the only one ever.

Ch59

quote:

There have been Knights from other species in the past, but it was long before your planet was discovered. And even then, there were a relatively small number of them compared to the number of Artonans.

I believe Gorgon also has an authority sense as he was able to tell how much of it would need to be sacrificed to fulfill Kibby's wish.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Non-wizard Artonans, not non-wizard avowed. Would Artonans of the non-wizard class (we've been told a third are wizards, two thirds aren't) be able to sense Sway manipulation in this hypothetical scenario we were previously discussing

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Kibby isn't from the wizard caste and has an authority sense.

I'm pretty sure all artonans have an authority sense (barring disease, injury, or whatnot) but most either cannot effectively use it (like Kibby struggles with) or just don't get training in it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ Ah, I think you might be right? I'm pretty sure this was mentioned at some point, but can't remember when

gonadic io posted:

Non-wizard Artonans, not non-wizard avowed. Would Artonans of the non-wizard class (we've been told a third are wizards, two thirds aren't) be able to sense Sway manipulation in this hypothetical scenario we were previously discussing

I'm not sure if they do, but I'm just speculating that even if non-wizards don't have an authority sense, Artonan society is still a magical society (with a bunch of magical technology, etc) where it's presumably much harder to get away with secretly using magic against other people.

Anesidora is also technically a "magic society," but it's a deeply ignorant magic society where people are using a bunch of magic equipment they don't actually understand.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

gonadic io posted:

I'm pretty sure all, or nearly all, Artonans have an authority sense, but only about 20% have an authority. Hence why Artonans who aren't wizards (or Kibby) die in a chaos zone, but avowed don't - it's having an authority that protects you, not being able to feel it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

It's probably somewhere in the Joe chapters. I don't really feel like re-reading all that.

Alis does mention her newborn infants having an authority sense like it's a normal thing. And while she's obviously of the wizard/knight caste, even infants having such a sense speaks to it just being as common a sense as sight or smell.

quote:

The original plan was for her to be at home right now, doing all the things a nurturing mother should do with a healthy set of newborn wizard triplets. Nursing them, racing to their cribs at their every cry, coddling their tiny authority senses to be sure they were developing properly.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bremen posted:

I'm pretty sure all, or nearly all, Artonans have an authority sense, but only about 20% have an authority. Hence why Artonans who aren't wizards (or Kibby) die in a chaos zone, but avowed don't - it's having an authority that protects you, not being able to feel it.

Unless it's specifically mentioned somewhere (maybe it is and I'm forgetting it), I imagine all life (or at least sapient/intelligent life) has authority, just far less than a wizard/Avowed (so they can't actually do anything with it). It strikes me as something inherent to intelligent life, since it's basically "your existence being asserted" rather than a superpower. There's a reason Artonans consider it so hosed up to bind someone's authority. It's something more fundamental than just "a special power some people have."

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Alden does have good quality authority, but he's not unique in that. Mother said there was plenty other humans on Earth with the potential to learn Artonian magic. They just hadn't been thrown into the perfect environment Alden had been to train and realise his authority sense. Every Avowed has enough free authority to bind and provide Avowed powers, after all. They just can't sense it to use it.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

I believe Gorgon also has an authority sense as he was able to tell how much of it would need to be sacrificed to fulfill Kibby's wish.

I agree.

I think there was a throwaway sentence about Gorgon's race being the only other race the Artonans have ever encountered with an innate Authority sense. Maybe Mother said it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Man web serials ruined me for books. Finished Exordia and I'm like "yeah i want what's next!" But the book was finished in 2017 and not actually published until last week, the speed and economics of actual book publishing means it's going to be between a decade and forever to read more of the story.