Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Doom Rooster posted:

it's not one that you want to sit and crush 4 of in a sitting

You're not my dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I am already examining my bacon supply and interrogating my mother as to which is the best chocolate chip cookie recipe in her dessert box. Right now my big issue is that if I do this I will cut deeply into her chocolate chip supply. I love my mom, I don't want to deprive her. She doesn't buy candy like a normal person she just eats chocolate chips.

So this is all pushed back until I can get to the store.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Does anyone have a good dairy-free cornbread recipe? I don't need it immediately, more for future use/passing on.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I really like to make black cod marinated in sake, miso, and sugar. I sear it on both sides then throw the whole pan in the oven for 10 min. But apparently there is no black cod to be had in Oregon right now due to rough ocean conditions. Fish market guy said that rockfish would be an imperfect but passable substitute.

So my first question is should I cook it about the same amount of time? Or will rock fish get tough if I throw it in the oven for 10 minutes? Or undercook? I know some fish really just want to be seared on each side and that's about it, others need a little more.

Second question: I'm now the proud owner of a big cast iron griddle with grill things on one side and flat on the other side. I'm thinking of using it for this recipe since I'm making too much for my usual pan. I've never actually used the side with grilly things... is now the time??

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

I have been the victim of a cooking fuckup when a certain sous-chef who will remain nameless decided to help make my peanut sauce thicker by adding about a tablespoon of cornstarch to it. This sauce was not cooked. How long until my abdomen no longer hurts? It's been 2 days, with slight improvement.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Thanks for the advice guys

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Does anyone have a good dairy-free cornbread recipe? I don't need it immediately, more for future use/passing on.

Dairy free, but not vegetarian in case that's important.

2 cups cornmeal
1 tbs baking powder
1/2 tsp soda
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup plus two tbs bacon grease (divided)
2 eggs
1 tbs white vinegar

Preheat your oven to 450. Mix the dry ingredients well. Melt 1/4 cup of bacon grease in a cast iron skillet and stir in. In the pan you just melted the fat, add the rest of the bacon grease and get it hot on the stove top. Beat the eggs, stir in. Add enough water to form a batter, then add vinegar. Quickly pour the batter into the hot greased skillet - it should pop and skitter a bit in the pan. Into the oven for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Thanks for the advice guys
that looks a lot better

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2 cups almond or soy milk
2 tsp vinegar

Whisk those together.

2 cups cornmeal
1 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
.5 tsp salt, or more to taste

Whisk those together.

1/3 cup canola oil or other neutral oil
2 Tbsp maple syrup

Add those to milk, then whisk for a while.

Add wet to dry, mix, pour into cast iron skillet, and bake 30 to 35 minutes.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

alnilam posted:

I really like to make black cod marinated in sake, miso, and sugar. I sear it on both sides then throw the whole pan in the oven for 10 min. But apparently there is no black cod to be had in Oregon right now due to rough ocean conditions. Fish market guy said that rockfish would be an imperfect but passable substitute.

So my first question is should I cook it about the same amount of time? Or will rock fish get tough if I throw it in the oven for 10 minutes? Or undercook? I know some fish really just want to be seared on each side and that's about it, others need a little more.

Second question: I'm now the proud owner of a big cast iron griddle with grill things on one side and flat on the other side. I'm thinking of using it for this recipe since I'm making too much for my usual pan. I've never actually used the side with grilly things... is now the time??

Results:
Rockfish was still super yummy with miso/sake/sugar marinade
I erred on the shorter side and did 6 minutes in the oven, it was real good
I used the flat side and given how much things were already almost falling apart, i think grill side would have been a disaster

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

TychoCelchuuu posted:

2 tsp vinegar

Whisk those together.

2 cups cornmeal
1 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder

Whisk those together.

2 Tbsp maple syrup

Can you use any kind of milk alt?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

alnilam posted:

So my first question is should I cook it about the same amount of time? Or will rock fish get tough if I throw it in the oven for 10 minutes?
Sounds like you got it sorted already, but "rockfish" is kinda a catchall category instead of a specific species of fish. If it's coming from a fishmonger who's getting it from local wild fisheries in the Pacific Northwest it's probably one of a dozen or so commercially important species in Sebastolobus, some of which can pass for (and are sometimes misleadingly sold as) red snapper. Black cod/sablefish tends to have flesh that, as a fillet, is a little less firm and a little flakier than that.

I'd expect a fishmonger to be able to clarify what kind of rockfish they're selling if asked. Most of the fishmongers these days that care about certifying origin, method of catch, and so on will generally sell "rockfish" as something slightly more specific—chilipepper rockfish, canary rockfish, or whatever.

None of this helps if you've already cooked and eaten it, just throwing it out there for next time.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Dairy free, but not vegetarian in case that's important.

2 cups cornmeal
1 tbs baking powder
1/2 tsp soda
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup plus two tbs bacon grease (divided)
2 eggs
1 tbs white vinegar

Preheat your oven to 450. Mix the dry ingredients well. Melt 1/4 cup of bacon grease in a cast iron skillet and stir in. In the pan you just melted the fat, add the rest of the bacon grease and get it hot on the stove top. Beat the eggs, stir in. Add enough water to form a batter, then add vinegar. Quickly pour the batter into the hot greased skillet - it should pop and skitter a bit in the pan. Into the oven for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

2 tsp vinegar

Whisk those together.

2 cups cornmeal
1 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder

Whisk those together.

2 Tbsp maple syrup

Excellent, thanks, I'll give both of these a try! Had a get together with friends tonight that turned into an impromptu potluck - I wanted to bring cornbread to go along with the chili someone brought, but one person in the group is severely lactose intolerant.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Can you use any kind of milk alt?
I imagine so, but I've only ever made it with almond and soy.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I got some oyster and king oyster mushrooms. What are good recipes I can make with them

I got too much food to eat now. If I want to freeze these guys for later is there a recommended process or can I just chuck them in a vacuum bag

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Someone rec me a Sriracha brand sauce that:

Is on the spicer side
Isn't particularly sweet
Isn't just Sambal

I'm going to use it mainly to top some Hawaiian plate lunch, loco moco, etc, and maybe use it as a base for some tofu marinades. Nothing exotic but I want it to fit in with tropical/island flavor.

I'm thinking almost something more like a roja, but specifically identifiable as Sriracha (not like a variation of a salsa). No homemades because I already have a recipe for them but want something I can just grab.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

PRADA SLUT posted:

Someone rec me a Sriracha brand sauce that:

Is on the spicer side
Isn't particularly sweet
Isn't just Sambal

I'm going to use it mainly to top some Hawaiian plate lunch, loco moco, etc, and maybe use it as a base for some tofu marinades. Nothing exotic but I want it to fit in with tropical/island flavor.

I'm thinking almost something more like a roja, but specifically identifiable as Sriracha (not like a variation of a salsa). No homemades because I already have a recipe for them but want something I can just grab.

The ones I use have a bird on the front, either a goose or a chicken.

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Steve Yun posted:

I got some oyster and king oyster mushrooms. What are good recipes I can make with them

I got too much food to eat now. If I want to freeze these guys for later is there a recommended process or can I just chuck them in a vacuum bag

I like these two a lot

https://thewoksoflife.com/soy-butter-glazed-king-oyster-mushrooms/

http://allthatsplatters.blogspot.com/2009/12/mushroom-ragu-on-crostini.html

maybe not the second one if you have heart problems

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

https://www.seriouseats.com/vegan-carbonara-pasta-recipe

I’ve frozen the mushrooms before by parboiling first and then quickly freezing them in a freezer bag.

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

Good place for green cardamom? Ones off amazon have been not great.

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021

Charlatan Eschaton posted:

Good place for green cardamom? Ones off amazon have been not great.

Penzeys if you don't have an Indian or east African market nearby.

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

Cool, haven't tried Penzey's before, I had a jar from "Spice House" where I only had to use 2 or 3 pods to get good flavor in my oatmeal but these cheap ones I'm throwing in a whole handful and not getting much at all. There's a roti shop/market not too far away that looks pretty good too, thanks.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Penzeys not only tastes great but somehow they have processes that ensure that your spices will have the most gorgeous color

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I have a bunch of galbi frozen in a bag. Would it be better simply defrost it all and throw it in the oven, or should I sous vide the whole bag? If I do sous vide it, how long do you guys think I should be cooking it for?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

obi_ant posted:

I have a bunch of galbi frozen in a bag. Would it be better simply defrost it all and throw it in the oven, or should I sous vide the whole bag? If I do sous vide it, how long do you guys think I should be cooking it for?

How thick is the thickest part of the bag

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

How thick is the thickest part of the bag

They were all laid flat, so the thickest part of the bag would be no larger than a half an inch?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Oh then like 90 mins should be fine

If you got an instant thermometer, use it to make sure

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I made this beef bulgogi recipe to eat for lunch this week:

quote:

Ingredients

1 ½ pounds boneless rib eye steak
½ small pear, peeled and coarsely grated
¼ cup reduced sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
1 tablespoon gochujang, Korean red pepper paste
2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds

It's straightforward, the first 8 ingredients all go into a bag together (you slice up the beef first) to marinate and then you just stir-fry it. No idea if it's authentic, although something like a grated pear is pretty specific if it isn't. It's tasty, but I'd like it to be spicier, it isn't very spicy. I've seen Korean recipes that call for Korean chili flakes, I'm sure I can track some down but right now I don't have any. Is that the best way to increase the heat? (I was a bit surprised how little gochujang it calls for.) Is the flavor noticeably different if I just use "regular" crushed red pepper?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

guppy posted:

I made this beef bulgogi recipe to eat for lunch this week:

It's straightforward, the first 8 ingredients all go into a bag together (you slice up the beef first) to marinate and then you just stir-fry it. No idea if it's authentic, although something like a grated pear is pretty specific if it isn't. It's tasty, but I'd like it to be spicier, it isn't very spicy. I've seen Korean recipes that call for Korean chili flakes, I'm sure I can track some down but right now I don't have any. Is that the best way to increase the heat? (I was a bit surprised how little gochujang it calls for.) Is the flavor noticeably different if I just use "regular" crushed red pepper?

Korean chili flakes (Gochugaru) have a very distinct, great fruity chili flavor. Highly recommend you track some down and use them.

That being said, they are not very spicy at all. If you want more spice, I’d just add some cayenne in addition, for some pretty neutral straight heat.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Doom Rooster posted:

Korean chili flakes (Gochugaru) have a very distinct, great fruity chili flavor. Highly recommend you track some down and use them.

That being said, they are not very spicy at all. If you want more spice, I’d just add some cayenne in addition, for some pretty neutral straight heat.

Thanks! I will try to find some. Any suggestions on somewhere online to order them? I'm not seeing a lot from anywhere I've heard of besides Amazon; I'm always a little leery of ordering foodstuffs from Amazon, but I've done it before and I could do it again if necessary.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

guppy posted:

Thanks! I will try to find some. Any suggestions on somewhere online to order them? I'm not seeing a lot from anywhere I've heard of besides Amazon; I'm always a little leery of ordering foodstuffs from Amazon, but I've done it before and I could do it again if necessary.

Amazon IMO.

I normally go in person to an Asian market, and my usual online sources Mala market and Penzey’s don’t carry Gochugaru.

The top result on Amazon is Nongshim Taekyung, which is what I always buy in person, so should be legit. Just make sure to get flake, not powder.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Doom Rooster posted:

Amazon IMO.

I normally go in person to an Asian market, and my usual online sources Mala market and Penzey’s don’t carry Gochugaru.

The top result on Amazon is Nongshim Taekyung, which is what I always buy in person, so should be legit. Just make sure to get flake, not powder.

Perfect, thanks! I just ordered this, which I think is what you recommended.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

guppy posted:

Perfect, thanks! I just ordered this, which I think is what you recommended.

Yup! Sorry, I had my terminology wrong. They are all powder, you just want flake instead of fine, which you got. Enjoy!

One of my legit favorite (food-related) things is smelling a fresh bag after opening it. They really are a super unique flavor and aroma.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

So I think I messed up dinner tonight. I had some lamb chops from my farm share I wanted to use, and some za'atar I wanted to use more of, so I figured "Let's marinade these chops in a greek yogurt + za'atar mixture and then sear them off."

The end result was kind of underwhelming. The marinade was fan loving tastic and really delivered the awesome blend that was the za'atar. But the final lamb chops lacked much of any of it at all, or if it did it was incredibly subtle.

Suggestions for giving that another shot? I am totally game to trying entirely different preparations if it means really brings the aroma and flavor of the za'atar up front in the end.

MadFriarAvelyn fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Feb 6, 2024

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

So I think I messed up dinner tonight. I had some lamb chops from my farm share I wanted to use, and some za'atar I wanted to use more of, so I figured "Let's marinade these chops in a greek yogurt + za'atar mixture and then sear them off."

The end result was kind of underwhelming. The marinade was fan loving tastic and really delivered the awesome blend that was the za'atar. But the final lamb chops lacked much of any of it at all, or if it did it was incredibly subtle.

Suggestions for giving that another shot? I am totally game to trying entirely different preparations if it means really brings the aroma and flavor of the za'atar up front in the end.

Za'atar is all dried herbs, which is fine when you're rubbing it on pita with some oil, but in a marinade, unless you reapply the za'atar (which is what I would recommend) very little of it is on the meat, so little/no za'atar flavor in the final product.
After you pull your protein out of your marinade, roll each piece in za'atar, then sauté as normal. Alternatively, mix a liberal amount of za'atar with some panko, toss in a paper bag, add marinated meat, shake to coat, then pan fry or bake to your desired doneness.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I always finish with a hefty sprinkle of za’atar at the end. The marinade still sounds great, just sprinkle more spice on at the end too.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

In addition to all of the above, how long did you marinade? I find yoghurt marinades don’t do very much unless you leave them for many hours, if not overnight

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Scientastic posted:

In addition to all of the above, how long did you marinade? I find yoghurt marinades don’t do very much unless you leave them for many hours, if not overnight

8 hours total, flipping and mixing things up every couple hours.

I'll try just applying some extra za'atar at the end of the preparation next time. I'm also curious how a quick sauce made with the za'atar applied at the end might go?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Ive got some beef short ribs coming out of a long sousvide tonight and was going to use them along with a red wine pan sauce.

Ive got lots of gold potatoes for the starch but other than just mashing them does anyone else have some fun way to prep them that’s not super time intensive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
If it's prep time, not overall time, confit them in butter for a couple hours in a low oven, then crack and flatten them with a fork before browning them in their own butter in a saute pan.

If it's overall time, boil them instead of confit them brown them the same way