Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

How do you mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Against the day is far less disorientating up front

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I usually try to pace myself with the day so I get enough sleep

robyn-
Jan 31, 2024

Gaius Marius posted:

How do you mean

pacing of the plot, frequency of events that occur which meaningfully impact the characters, etc

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Gravity's Rainbow loses touch with reality frequently and isn't bothered to give its characters coherent arcs that are clearly delineated as the plot progresses. A seemingly important character in the first third of the book is practically never mentioned again, not directly anyways. Its pace is similar to the kind of dream you may have when wracked with fever, with certain vital facts suddenly become irrelevant and new things bubble up to shock you and send you hurtling towards some other conclusion. It mimics a war that is initiated with a clear purpose that continues until the Titans of its battlefields have lost all reason and vacillate between committing more atrocities and meandering around with beatific smiles and empty heads. Apologies if that's all too metaphorical I was crapping in the toilet

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

hannah posted:

pacing of the plot, frequency of events that occur which meaningfully impact the characters, etc

Lol

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
you can say what you want about gravity's rainbow and against the day but one thing they do not lack is events. on the upper end of books that i've read, in terms of sheer number of events.

no comment on the other pacing-related desiderata

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

hannah posted:

just wanna ask; what’s the pacing of Against the Day, and Gravity’s Rainbow?

Yes

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

hannah posted:

Hoo boy

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I don't even know how to begin addressing that question. It's like asking if basketball is easier with a fork or a spoon.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

mdemone posted:

I don't even know how to begin addressing that question. It's like asking if basketball is easier with a fork or a spoon.

I would say spoon for sure, providing it was sufficiently big enough

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Fork would be useful on defense though

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Anybody read The Day Lasts More Than a Hundred Years it was mentioned in this Knausgård book I'm still reading and it sounds interesting. If anyone knows how it's paced with regards to things happening to the characters and whatnot that would be really helpful

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

I think with pynchon novels pacing isn't so much a concern because it's actually more fun to be slightly under-leveled going into the final boss

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Guys how is the pacing in Finnegan's Wake

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

You don't wanna know

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Mel Mudkiper posted:

High Colonic Energy

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

i started with Stoner today, its decent enough. realism is a good change of pace after a whole bunch of Fosse, Bolaño etc the last few months

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

No idea about Finnegan but all the wakes I've been to have featured a lot of pacing. I find it very awkward receiving people from a chair but don't like standing like a statue.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

hannah posted:

answered over and over but on any given page between 0 and 400 incidents might be conveyed, and you may even notice some or all of them if you're on a roll

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

the world building

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
guys what kind of magic system does pynchon use, i only want to read about hard magic systems

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

ulvir posted:

i started with Stoner today, its decent enough. realism is a good change of pace after a whole bunch of Fosse, Bolaño etc the last few months

change of pace?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

fez_machine posted:

change of pace?

not necessarily meant as “this is a quick read”, more figuratively. like, there’s a clear distinction between internal thoughts and events/story beats, and it’s even somewhat chronological.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Isnt Stoner like the pre-eminent sad professor fucks his students book that most people joke all American literary fiction is

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

People who make jokes like that usually know jack poo poo about anything.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

well sure but its still funny that it is literally the archetype of sad professor fucks his student

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Isnt Stoner like the pre-eminent sad professor fucks his students book that most people joke all American literary fiction is

I would say Disgrace, maybe, but I guess it's not american and at least partly a satire of the subgenre

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I always thought Stoner was a Cormac McCarthy style blood and guts book by the people who talk about it.

I just finished the 1100 page Fernando Pessoa biography which was insanely good

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

idk, 70ish pages in and so far he's only gone from a farmer's son to a PhD in literature, started teaching some courses and married the daughter of one of the Dean's friends (who also seems to be a benefactor to the university), so not a lot that just yet

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I'm about 60 or so pages into Seiobo There Below and I was really expecting more in the vein of Melancholy or Satantango but it's anything but so far. This feels so much lighter and more conversational. It's celebratory, joyful even. Anyway it completely owns and I'm hooked

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

What's an acceptable events-per-page figure for a book to qualify as real literature?

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

3D Megadoodoo posted:

What's an acceptable events-per-page figure for a book to qualify as real literature?

Zero. Any more than that is genre.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Ras Het posted:

I always thought Stoner was a Cormac McCarthy style blood and guts book by the people who talk about it.

I just finished the 1100 page Fernando Pessoa biography which was insanely good

You're thinking of one of John Williams's other books, Butcher's Crossing.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

lifg posted:

Oh no not genre! :ohdear:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I keep trying to think of how to genuinely express the amount of events in a pynchon novel

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I keep coming up with making a little sigh and waving my arms around

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Isn't there that thing where somebody drew a picture for every page of Gravity's Rainbow?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

lifg posted:

tfw Proust writes genre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i still think on Stoner