Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Welp, played a little of Gotham Knights the last couple nights, and I really should have started Arkham Knight instead. It is baffling how they managed to miss the mark so thoroughly with TWO different Batman-adjacent games in just the last couple years.

It's not even just the live service decisions, they must have known that a Gotham City open world game would inevitably be compared to the Arkham series, right? And yet there are so many things that are directly comparable to the older games but distinctly lacking, like a couple of talented high schoolers put together a clone of their favorite game.

The movement system stands out -- you get the same grapnel that Batman had, but no cape or glider, so you're playing around with half of the movement from the Arkham games, just zipping to a rooftop and then scanning for another rooftop to zip to. There are unique movement options for each hero that I haven't unlocked yet, but A.) I'm several hours in and haven't gotten them, and I've had to deal with this jerky movement the whole time. There's not even anything to let you know how to get them -- they're locked behind "Knighthood Challenge" which seems like just another generic open-world "Kill 3 Blorbos then Finish 5 Missions and Kill 5 Morblos" sorta thing, and doesn't explain that it unlocks a crucial game mechanic. And B.) it feels really lovely that the developers decided to gate off such a crucial game mechanic! That was the sort of thing that made you want to play the Arkham games, swooping through the city and grapneling up to a gargoyle, and since the missions are so generic and the combat is so dull, it seems barely worth the effort to travel to them. (And lol, even once I unlock the travel mechanics, Tim Drake gets a debug teleporter so you still just joylessly blip around the map)

Just ugh, man. I should just play Arkham Knight instead. Like, I fundamentally do not understand how this game was even created. How does no one look at this in an early alpha and say "well, the combat is much slower and less reactive than the Arkham games, and traveling around the world is slower and less fun, and our voice actors are terrible, and our stealth system isn't anywhere near as fleshed out, we're gonna get eaten alive if we go to market in this state."

And somehow this is the BETTER of the two games lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Batgirl gets you closest to Arkham gliding around but it's still not quite the same.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I'm downloading the demo

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJu5ocA0EkU

Was not expecting a Wo Long/ Lies of P crossover in a week.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

They announced it a while back. I think Wo Long got its LoP items before LoP even released?

That new weapon does look fun. And the outfit is actually pretty cool.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Well, that makes sense. Never checked out Wo Long.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

It’s pretty good, but a bit simpler than the Nioh games. For me, that made me like it a little less, but others liked it more for the same reason.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm so goddamn bad at tetris.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Also you're bad at posting.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

y'all been foamin today? was waiting to hear the foam news from foam bros about foam

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

He’s actually very good at posting… about being bad at games.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/ahalfnickel/status/1754893588188541208?s=46

lol

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The foam game actually looks fun to me I'm going to try it.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Loooool.

Local ads for this game have been highlighting that the main character’s model is a bodyscan of an OnlyFans (not actually OF but the local Korean equivalent) model.

Pretty weird that I’m still not clear on the gameplay loop but I know whose IRL rear end is in the game.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

the same fuckers complain about dubs i promise you

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

What are people complaining about?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The Japanese dub will only be in the Japanese release and they want to play it in Japanese

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

That's it I'm getting this game just so I can play it in Korean. And for the articles too of course

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

was gonna say. yeah, i'll just play the korean game featuring korean people and made by korean people...in korean

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

y'all been foamin today? was waiting to hear the foam news from foam bros about foam

Okay, Foamstar effort post because I've been playing for a few hours tonight:

Foamstars is actually pretty fun. It's split between solo / co-op missions and 4 v 4 modes. The missions are just defending a generator from waves of enemies. Each character has a mini-story to go through, and you can unlock upgrades like faster reload, etc by completing them. Co-op is four players doing the same, but it's harder. There are Hard co-op missions too that you need to be pretty well upgraded to stand a chance at.

4 v 4 has a few different modes.
-Smash the Star is the main mode. Each team has 7 lives, once they're gone one person on the team turns into the Star. If the Star dies, that's game.
-Happy Bath Survival is 2-on-2 with the other 2 members of each team only able to foam up the arena to help. 1 life, best 2-out-of-3 rounds. Also has instakill water hazards.
-Rubber Duck Party is like moving the payload in Overwatch. Capture it to move it towards the opponent's base, get it all the way there to win.
-There's also solo and party Ranked, but they haven't rotated in yet. Maybe on the weekend.
-Every match has a 7 minute time limit too so it's not like they drag even if no one is outright winning.

Overall it's like Splatoon, but with more emphasis on shooting the other team. You kill (or "chill" as the game calls it) someone by shooting them enough to get them Foamed Up, then sliding into them with L2. No points for foaming up the arena, but you slide faster on your color foam. Each character has a different kind of weapon and skills so there's some decent variety.

It also has all the usual live service mtx but they're easily ignored. There are xp boosters you can buy / earn in the season pass but they only give 300 XP, about the same as winning a match. The solo missions are also weirdly written and voiced. I'm sure compilations will pop up with people making the YouTube face in the thumbnail.

I don't see myself playing it after getting the trophies, but it should be fun enough for a week or two.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

was gonna say. yeah, i'll just play the korean game featuring korean people and made by korean people...in korean

… in America!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Phenotype posted:

Welp, played a little of Gotham Knights the last couple nights, and I really should have started Arkham Knight instead. It is baffling how they managed to miss the mark so thoroughly with TWO different Batman-adjacent games in just the last couple years.

It's not even just the live service decisions, they must have known that a Gotham City open world game would inevitably be compared to the Arkham series, right? And yet there are so many things that are directly comparable to the older games but distinctly lacking, like a couple of talented high schoolers put together a clone of their favorite game.

The movement system stands out -- you get the same grapnel that Batman had, but no cape or glider, so you're playing around with half of the movement from the Arkham games, just zipping to a rooftop and then scanning for another rooftop to zip to. There are unique movement options for each hero that I haven't unlocked yet, but A.) I'm several hours in and haven't gotten them, and I've had to deal with this jerky movement the whole time. There's not even anything to let you know how to get them -- they're locked behind "Knighthood Challenge" which seems like just another generic open-world "Kill 3 Blorbos then Finish 5 Missions and Kill 5 Morblos" sorta thing, and doesn't explain that it unlocks a crucial game mechanic. And B.) it feels really lovely that the developers decided to gate off such a crucial game mechanic! That was the sort of thing that made you want to play the Arkham games, swooping through the city and grapneling up to a gargoyle, and since the missions are so generic and the combat is so dull, it seems barely worth the effort to travel to them. (And lol, even once I unlock the travel mechanics, Tim Drake gets a debug teleporter so you still just joylessly blip around the map)

Just ugh, man. I should just play Arkham Knight instead. Like, I fundamentally do not understand how this game was even created. How does no one look at this in an early alpha and say "well, the combat is much slower and less reactive than the Arkham games, and traveling around the world is slower and less fun, and our voice actors are terrible, and our stealth system isn't anywhere near as fleshed out, we're gonna get eaten alive if we go to market in this state."

Looking forward to your report of Anthem, Greedfall, Gollum and Skull Island: Rise of Kong since you can't just not play games people recommend are left alone.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

cubicle gangster posted:

What would you do if you waited until part 3 anyway, play all 250+ hours of it back to back? That would be hard going.

Yes and no it wouldnt. Played all the yakuzas back to back. Played the whole of ff14 to endwalker back to back in under half a year. 3 parts of remake back to back is a day at the beach pal

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Bugblatter posted:

Loooool.

Local ads for this game have been highlighting that the main character’s model is a bodyscan of an OnlyFans (not actually OF but the local Korean equivalent) model.

Pretty weird that I’m still not clear on the gameplay loop but I know whose IRL rear end is in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EF6kB9q4vg

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

RareAcumen posted:

Looking forward to your report of Anthem, Greedfall, Gollum and Skull Island: Rise of Kong since you can't just not play games people recommend are left alone.

Greedfall does not belong in that list

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

At least Anthem and Greedfall are playable, plus Anthem is often on sale for literally 2 dollars or thereabouts and greedfall was a free ps plus title so lots of folks have those.

Also all of the Gotham Knights complaints boil down to "it's like this so it works in co-op" and when you ask who tf thought itd be a good idea to turn batman into a gaasy turd with all of those concessions to what made the original games fun to play, the answer is shareholders and a board of directors.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

OxMan posted:

At least Anthem and Greedfall are playable, plus Anthem is often on sale for literally 2 dollars or thereabouts and greedfall was a free ps plus title so lots of folks have those.

Also all of the Gotham Knights complaints boil down to "it's like this so it works in co-op" and when you ask who tf thought itd be a good idea to turn batman into a gaasy turd with all of those concessions to what made the original games fun to play, the answer is shareholders and a board of directors.

What if PlayStation bought the rights to Anthem and assigned a studio to develop a proper single-player RPG? That would be money.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

I played one round of foamstars last night in the 4v4 team deathmatch mode, it lost connection to the servers after the game and kicked me back to the splash screen (which is weirdly slient?). I deleted it this morning.

It just felt like a worse version of splatoon. I tried using the gyro aiming and it felt like I had to constantly reset the view with R3 otherwise I'd be stuck staring at the floor or sky. Not having your foam fill up while sliding and having to reload felt bad too.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Oh, drat I was thinking of Redfall.

Swap those and add The Walking Dead: Destinies to the list.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

:hmmyes:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh yeah Redfall does lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Anthem…. Playable…. HAH????

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

veni veni veni posted:

I'm so goddamn bad at tetris.

Wait till you try tetris 2

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Bugblatter posted:

Loooool.

I definitely won't be playing the pervert game.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Phenotype posted:

The gliders and fast travel bein locked behind story missions suck. Just try and beeline the story content.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

rolled credits on re7. i just started this past saturday and played a tiny bit each night until tonight where i could feel i was gonna breeze through till the end.

for such a small simple game, i'm shocked if it's anyone's top resident evil game. i thought it was ok. mostly it was like doing videogame homework to experience something that marked a big change of pace for the series. i can definitely see why fans gravitated to it for being what it was when it came out, but i don't think it's that great if you look at it by itself.

i'd say the beginning through the middle is the best part of the game, and then it kinda doesn't know what to do at the end and loses itself.

interesting experiment, and i'm glad i played it, but i'm also glad it was free on ps+ and i spent money on a used disc version at gamestop to get ray tracing graphics. the guy told me i could return it in under a week if there were any problems with the disc or specifically if i didn't like it or just beat it quickly lol. gonna go get my money back tomorrow.

4 and 7 down. on to 8 and then 2 after that.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Anthem…. Playable…. HAH????

You jest but it had fantastic gameplay. It's just that literally everything else around the moment-to-moment gameplay was very poor. The dungeons, the characters, the writing, the loot & gearing, the voice acting, etc etc etc.
The first impression the game gave me back then was overwhelmingly positive, but it did not last.
To me it is the prime example of wasted potential. Bioware's ugly display of agonal breathing.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

What? Did you play the demo? It was absolute dogshit.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I played anthem for $4 at roughly $1 per hour and the core robot suit gameplay was actually fine but everything else was bad. They should have made a 12 hour blastfest (20 for cheevos) game with the controls and charged $50 it would have been fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I will never not find the Anthem "roadmap" funny. This should be blown up to 8:1 scale and displayed in a Museum of Failure.