Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Sanford posted:

I’m prepping for a new game with the same players as just finished my five year campaign. This is the teaser I sent and they all immediately responded saying yes please and can they start at level five? Turns out they’d already been discussing it which was nice.

For the first year of our big campaign we had a solid cast of NPCs which we all really enjoyed and never really recaptured in later parts, and I’m hoping to recreate that here. I fancy having them level up as they “clear” each part of the church - graveyard sorted, level up, priests quarters cleared out, level up, etc, and tracking days spent in the town quite closely. In the background I will be rolling to have NPCs disappearing one by one on a nightly basis, apparently falling victim to something living in the church tower.

So here’s my question - it’s obviously a vampire. What else could it be?
It's the cathedral itself, obv. Designed by a long dead architect who went mad during the construction, for generations it has siphoned worship from the gods into itself. It has tithed their belief until it glows with secret purpose and ambition. Hidden among the bells of the church tower is a great inanimate brain, a masterwork of interwoven stone and bronze. A true church organ. Now, grown fat with hymns and orisons, the church has begun to seed.

Some in the parish scratch at chalky, stone-like skin and scowl like the gargoyles lining the high walls. An unknowable hunger fills them, demanding worship, reverence, awe. When they die, a warped stone tombstone sprouts from their graves, a little larval church.

A rogue sect of desperate priests have been abducting infected worshippers in hopes that dissection can uncover a vaccine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Nash posted:

It’s really weird. In person having someone tell me about their dnd campaign and setting is something that absolutely does not hold my interest.

Reading other people’s idea and such is something I could do all day. It’s weird.

It's because this thread

Squidster posted:

It's the cathedral itself, obv. Designed by a long dead architect who went mad during the construction, for generations it has siphoned worship from the gods into itself. It has tithed their belief until it glows with secret purpose and ambition. Hidden among the bells of the church tower is a great inanimate brain, a masterwork of interwoven stone and bronze. A true church organ. Now, grown fat with hymns and orisons, the church has begun to seed.

Some in the parish scratch at chalky, stone-like skin and scowl like the gargoyles lining the high walls. An unknowable hunger fills them, demanding worship, reverence, awe. When they die, a warped stone tombstone sprouts from their graves, a little larval church.

A rogue sect of desperate priests have been abducting infected worshippers in hopes that dissection can uncover a vaccine.

Has kickass poo poo in it

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Squidster posted:

I’m actually using this concept in my campaign but a library. While there are books, scrolls, etc a plenty inside, it’s the building itself that is the true store of knowledge. Visitors falling under its sway feel compelled to eternally browse its stacks, learning, learning, learning.

Unless they feel compelled to gather all knowledge and bring all the books and scrolls that can be found into its halls to be absorbed into the Library. People have set fire to the library in the past and it has burned, only to reform over time, empty and fresh, ready to continue its desire for learning all the things.

Attuning to the building itself reveals a trove of knowledge that would make the Library of Congress feel shy and inadequate.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Squidster posted:

If you haven't read the Stone Thief campaign you should

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Squidster posted:

Lovely lovely stuff. One of the big aspects of our last campaign was that divine power isn’t actually anything special, there’s various ways to grab it and use it and if you get enough, you can start doing godly things. One of the big final bits was the paladin choosing to give his god mastery over the lands of the dead, when one of the other characters wanted it for himself. And no-one can take in that much energy all at once, not even a god, so there’s plenty of raw power sloshing about, concentrated in now unadopted places of worship, and… then what you said. I really like it, thank you.

Edit: architect designed it to siphon power so he could take it. Canonically possible thing in our world. Then he died in some random way, hunting accident or whatever. And the power continued to be siphoned, and just built up and built up and built up…

Sanford fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Feb 4, 2024

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Sanford posted:

One of the big final bits was the paladin choosing to give his god mastery over the lands of the dead, when one of the other characters wanted it for himself. And no-one can take in that much energy all at once, not even a god, so there’s plenty of raw power sloshing about, concentrated in now unadopted places of worship, and… then what you said. I really like it, thank you.

There was a campaign I ran once where one of the premises of the setting was that the god of death had been eaten a while back and now any sufficiently powerful being who had a need for the souls of the dead could set up shop in the afterlife and start harvesting. There were a few necromancers, an efreet who was using them as slave labour to build a voidship, a dragon who was ransoming the valuable ones back to their families for gold to add to her hoard, plus a few workers' cooperatives who genuinely wanted to build a better afterlife.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

sebmojo posted:

It's because this thread

Has kickass poo poo in it

:hmmyes:

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
I'm trying to think about pacing & encounters. Our last 3 sessions went:

1) Travel from the city, surprise small-scale hex-crawl, last 1/2 of the session hex-crawling.
2) Hex crawl, battles, a few battles avoided/negotiated, meet a few folks for exposition/backstory, arrive at the castle
3) Big setpiece battle at the castle
4) World exposition, dealing with the fallout from the battle, a tiny bit of loot exploration.

The narrative setup for this next session is they're meeting with the knights from the next kingdom over and trying to figure out what to do about the two displaced groups of people who don't get along, and maybe travel to the next kingdom. I have some exposition backstory bits for two party members, but those are pretty short.

I don't have the narrative ability and I don't think our party has that much of an interest in doing two sessions in a row that are all exposition/backstory/dialogue/etc, but I'm trying to think about what a good challenge might be for this next session, because narratively there isn't really any obvious reason for fighting coming up. Some way that they can use dice and game mechanics to solve a problem, but I'm totally drawing a blank and don't want to just spend two hours talking and traveling.

Anybody have any suggestions?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

One of the knights is actually an assassin.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
The disagreement between groups erupts into conflict, or it will if the party doesn't play negotiators.

The knights from the next kingdom over decide the aftermath of a big battle is a great time to seize power in the weakened kingdom and conscript the displaced groups to form their own army/kingdom (assuming the embattled kingdom fell. Still not impossible either way.)

The knights want to abandon their duty and pursue a local legend about a creature at a nearby abandoned windmill. One displaced group says it's an evil fae that lures children to their death. The other group says it's the ghost of a local saint, martyred in ancient times and a protector of the local countryside. Both agree the presence bears a powerful magical artifact.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
edit /= quote

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

road potato posted:

Some way that they can use dice and game mechanics to solve a problem, but I'm totally drawing a blank and don't want to just spend two hours talking and traveling.

Anybody have any suggestions?

The summit takes place during a tournament. Negotiation sessions are interspersed with jousting, archery competition, a bardic sing-off, acrobatic displays, or whatever relevant skill challenges you think your players would like. The tournament is also a chance for your players to show off to the major players in their kingdom and the neighboring one. You could bring in whatever contacts you think would be interesting. At the end of the tournament is one big mock combat, with the prize being a minor boon from the ruler. This could be a favor in negotiations, or the players might use it more selfishly.

Additional complications you could add:
1) Your two main negotiating partners in the knights (one for each of the displaced groups) got into a fight over a noble lady. They're to fight a duel. Do the players try to make peace? Do they help their favored party win (or escape)? How will that affect negotiations?

2) One of the local nobles approaches the players privately. They stand to lose if the negotiations proceed. Maybe the refugees are to be resettled on his demesne at his cost, or maybe they already are and he doesn't want to let them leave. Maybe the refugees are heretics or heathens and the local priest wants them gone. In any case, the noble is offering a large sum of cash and future favors if the players can subtly cause the negotiations to fail without making the sabotage obvious. Do the players switch plans? And what will it cost them to oppose the noble? Do they need to develop their own ally to protect them against the noble's revenge if they don't go along?

3) The knights refuse to negotiate with commoners (assuming the PCs are commoners) or adventuring trash. They will only respect the PCs enough for negotiations to continue if they can prove their worth by defeating their chapter's champion. But the champion is a beast, clearly multiple levels above the PCs, and facing him in a fair duel is a nearly certain loss. The PCs have a week until the end of the tournament to turn the tables. Get him distracted, steal his favorite sword, rust the joints in his armor, get his favorite squire sick the day of the duel, get him drunk the night before, etc etc. Then they might stand a chance.

4) The negotiations conclude successfully, but the refugees need to be resettled before winter sets in. As part of the negotiated agreement, the PCs are responsible for the resettlement. They need to scout out a suitable site, guide the refugees there dealing with any threats on the way, help heal any ill or wounded, and otherwise do any myriad of tasks you can think of to found a small town. This would tie back in nicely with your hex crawl--anywhere on the map that the PCs think might be suitable for resettlement? Or do they need to do some more crawling?

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
Anyone have good advice/think-pieces with regards to pacing, moving scenes along, and ending them? Particularly in the context of a more investigative campaign.

I've come to realize my regular players are prone to seriously dragging things out. Turn over every rock, poke & prod NPCs every which way they can imagine, re-hash info. For my part, in this realization I recognized I've also been bad about just letting them do so, and not driving the pace of a scene myself when needed. When I realized this mid-session and tried to end a scene (just them futzing about their quarters before bed, in a way so inconsequential I can not remember what it was), I ended up with a waterfall of "Wait, I do X," "And then I'm gonna do Y," and so forth. I've been pretty lax about it, figuring I should let them investigate at their own pace, but I just took a step back and realized the short interlude scenario (3-6 sessions) we're doing between larger campaigns has been going months. Its draining my enthusiasm to continuing running a game, so something's got to be done. I haven't explicitly talked with the other players yet, but plan to once I've got a firmer idea of what I'm looking for in direction.

Our last campaign was Blades in the Dark, which took the problem out of our hands by forcing action, and we all would try to keep to a pace of finishing up a heist by the end of the game night. Considering just laying things out for players at the start of the night along the lines of "By the end of tonight (real time), you should be X much further along in game," but that doesn't feel ideal to me. Wondering what other people have done.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

PharmerBoy posted:

Anyone have good advice/think-pieces with regards to pacing, moving scenes along, and ending them? Particularly in the context of a more investigative campaign.

I've come to realize my regular players are prone to seriously dragging things out. Turn over every rock, poke & prod NPCs every which way they can imagine, re-hash info. For my part, in this realization I recognized I've also been bad about just letting them do so, and not driving the pace of a scene myself when needed. When I realized this mid-session and tried to end a scene (just them futzing about their quarters before bed, in a way so inconsequential I can not remember what it was), I ended up with a waterfall of "Wait, I do X," "And then I'm gonna do Y," and so forth. I've been pretty lax about it, figuring I should let them investigate at their own pace, but I just took a step back and realized the short interlude scenario (3-6 sessions) we're doing between larger campaigns has been going months. Its draining my enthusiasm to continuing running a game, so something's got to be done. I haven't explicitly talked with the other players yet, but plan to once I've got a firmer idea of what I'm looking for in direction.

Our last campaign was Blades in the Dark, which took the problem out of our hands by forcing action, and we all would try to keep to a pace of finishing up a heist by the end of the game night. Considering just laying things out for players at the start of the night along the lines of "By the end of tonight (real time), you should be X much further along in game," but that doesn't feel ideal to me. Wondering what other people have done.

I think there's two ways to handle this that are complementary. In game and out of game.

1) In game:
I think I had just posted this a few pages back, but I like The Angry GM's Tension Pool for providing a mechanical weight to keep players moving.

The tl;dr is have a jar where you put d6s. Every time-consuming action adds 1d6 to the jar. If the jar reaches 6 dice, you roll the dice in the jar, and then empty the jar.

Also taking any risky action rolls the dice currently in the jar but does not remove them. If there are no dice in the jar, roll 1d6 but don't add it to the jar.

If any rolled dice come up 1, you create a Complication. The Complication is always bad. It shouldn't be game ending, but should be a sufficient negative consequence that players don't want to get it too often.

This creates a tradeoff for the players. They can't investigate forever without cost. The thief gets away, the killer strikes again, and the mob boss intimidates witnesses into silence. Maybe someone hears about their poking around and sends a squad of goons to rough them up or an assassin to silence them for good. Maybe their office gets firebombed and all their notes burn. You get the idea.

2) Out of game:
Tell them exactly what you said. Tell them that you really like that they're taking the investigation so seriously, but reassure them that you're not out to get them, and that backtracking and investigating so exhaustively and perfect play aren't required to complete the investigation and enjoy the outcome.

And also ask yourself if they're doing those things because they're frequently getting stuck during the investigation. Using The Three Clue Rule to add redundancy to your investigations, and structuring investigation scenes more loosely in a Node Based Scenario Design will make sure that players don't have to backtrack and find every clue to keep the investigation going.

Edit:
Rereading my answer I realize I didn't provide much on pacing. That's a more nebulous concept than scenario design, and I won't claim to be a master at it. But I think your players might do better if you were more explicit during a scene about who is acting now, and what are they doing. For "think" pieces I will point back to the Angry GM, who writes like a jackass but has decent ideas behind it.

In particular, I like Inviting PCs to Act, especially the section discussing that you never speak to everyone at once. You invite one specific player to act, take their input, and then continue to go around the table. This one I don't do all the time, but when people are getting unfocused or indecisive it's helpful to get them more organized.

Cantorsdust fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Feb 5, 2024

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I forgot that this space hulk had a randomly-generated salvageable light cruiser on it, so I introduced it this session as my players were chasing a dark eldar ship that they accidentally de-cloaked by triggering an ion storm. They really want a bigger ship, and this one is available even if in my opinion it's too slow to pick its fights and too weak to win fights it doesn't want.

Any ideas on what they should have to do and how long it should take to prize this hulk from its grave and renew it to fighting fit? It's haunted by a security servitor system that went haywire and killed the crew, that's why it ended up gently drifting into a space hulk.

What obstacles should the players logically need to overcome before they can fully commit to a salvage operation and pull their prize off the surface of the space hulk?

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 9, 2024

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

PharmerBoy posted:

You can get the same thing in soft fashion by just advancing the plot that continues to exist without them. The longer they spend hyper focused on a NPC the less they spent on plot event boiling like a frog.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Ken Hite has a "Scene Ends" sign he holds up whenever the players have exhausted all avenues of investigation in a particular scene. It gives a push to the players to wrap it up and move on in their own way without interrupting. I rarely play in person anymore, but sometimes in the discord whilst players are talking I'll drop in chat a "time to move on" or something similar.

You may think that's a bit blunt, but it's also very effective. I don't really have any interest in the players spending forty minutes poking around the fishing wharf and interrogating the trawler captain when they found out the three things he knows within the first five minutes of meeting him.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Having a semi-useful NPC around is really useful. Especially if they know things the players would have no idea about (high society or low society), get into trouble, and ask the PC’s personal questions to give spotlight. One of the main characters in the campaign has a friend group; I had one of the friends tag along. she doesn’t know the party very well but can give insight without it looking like me giving clues. (“The cops mentioned an incident at a pawnshop, isn’t that where poor people sell things they stole?”)

One of the players said her favorite part of the session was when she and the friend were exploring an empty mansion, asking each other questions about their lives and their mutual pal.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Golden Bee posted:

Having a semi-useful NPC around is really useful. Especially if they know things the players would have no idea about (high society or low society), get into trouble, and ask the PC’s personal questions to give spotlight. One of the main characters in the campaign has a friend group; I had one of the friends tag along. she doesn’t know the party very well but can give insight without it looking like me giving clues. (“The cops mentioned an incident at a pawnshop, isn’t that where poor people sell things they stole?”)

One of the players said her favorite part of the session was when she and the friend were exploring an empty mansion, asking each other questions about their lives and their mutual pal.

After a particularly hobo murder campaign where they split the party 3 ways at the end of the world they caused, the same group had a group-related NPC they reported to that basically represented "group votes" where they were functionally controlled by the GM but also acted as a mouthpiece for when there were disagreements amongst the party and players didn't want to compromise on what their character would do without an external voice they obeyed/respected. It really, really, really helped move things along at points and keep them from starting to kill everyone they met.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

It was suggested that I ask this here. This is a long shot, but does anyone know of a The Bachelor-themed one shot, or have ideas about how I could make one? I'm trying to do something for Valentine's Day for people who have never played D&D before, but like The Bachelor a lot.

It'll be a party of 3 people who have very little exposure to D&D. I do want to keep it in a typical D&D style, and not try and apply D&D to a modern aesthetic. What I was thinking was something like the show as three of a group all vying for the attention of the Bachelor. I mostly want to introduce them to the game, so I plan on doing maybe 70% RP and 30% combat. I also plan on pre-generating their characters for them to choose from.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

GoGoGadget posted:

It was suggested that I ask this here. This is a long shot, but does anyone know of a The Bachelor-themed one shot, or have ideas about how I could make one? I'm trying to do something for Valentine's Day for people who have never played D&D before, but like The Bachelor a lot.

It'll be a party of 3 people who have very little exposure to D&D. I do want to keep it in a typical D&D style, and not try and apply D&D to a modern aesthetic. What I was thinking was something like the show as three of a group all vying for the attention of the Bachelor. I mostly want to introduce them to the game, so I plan on doing maybe 70% RP and 30% combat. I also plan on pre-generating their characters for them to choose from.

The Bachelor(ette depending on your group's makeup and willingness to RP) is a noble looking for a [prince(ss)/head retainer/whatever]-cum-bodyguard. PCs are faced with a gauntlet of combat and skill challenges where they're encouraged to outdo each other without directly fighting each other (sabotaging someone by embarrassing them in front of landed gentry at a party isn't directly fighting them, of course), including individual duels (fought simultaneously, perhaps in the same arena, to avoid player waiting-based boredom and allow shenanigans).

But surprise! The noble is actually a vampire looking for their consort/head thrall (I.e. Renfield)/whatever while the other two are destined for the harem/work pits/blood farm/etc. Can the PCs put their established grievances aside long enough to stake this sucker?

If the PCs are lower level, which they probably should be for this sort of setup, reskin an appropriate CR monster and sub in weaker vampiric powers for ones it already has.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Admiralty Flag posted:

The Bachelor(ette depending on your group's makeup and willingness to RP) is a noble looking for a [prince(ss)/head retainer/whatever]-cum-bodyguard. PCs are faced with a gauntlet of combat and skill challenges where they're encouraged to outdo each other without directly fighting each other (sabotaging someone by embarrassing them in front of landed gentry at a party isn't directly fighting them, of course), including individual duels (fought simultaneously, perhaps in the same arena, to avoid player waiting-based boredom and allow shenanigans).

But surprise! The noble is actually a vampire looking for their consort/head thrall (I.e. Renfield)/whatever while the other two are destined for the harem/work pits/blood farm/etc. Can the PCs put their established grievances aside long enough to stake this sucker?

If the PCs are lower level, which they probably should be for this sort of setup, reskin an appropriate CR monster and sub in weaker vampiric powers for ones it already has.

Having them compete against each other and then have to band together against a common foe is a great idea. Originally, I was thinking of having an outside force come to ruin the setup, but I think having the Bachelor-type character turn out to be bad is great!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!
"For one last twist, you can marry the winner. You know, until death do you part. Or! You can wed this minor death goddess, become her unliving avatar, and spend eternity in rapturous bloodlust."

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Bonus points if the Fabulous Consolation Prizes can be weaponized by the players. An ultrawide 4k HD tv so color accurate it can even do UV, a decanter of endless water ( holiness available for an upcharge ), a set of elegant wooden furniture etc.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

GoGoGadget posted:

I say go whole hog and do passion de Pasiones. Combat will be mostly limited to slaps, deadly pistol shots and thrown glasses of water, but it’ll be amazing to people who’ve never gamed before.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
Run a DCC funnel but all the PCs are bachelor contestants instead of peasants.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
I cannot help but feel Paranoia would be better than D&D for the Bachelor, given what I have heard of the show.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Pickled Tink posted:

I cannot help but feel Paranoia would be better than D&D for the Bachelor, given what I have heard of the show.

I mean, both involve vast amounts of player elimination at the hands of an all powerful, capricious being, so they both work!

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

The point is more to introduce the players to D&D 5E, so I'll need to stick with that system. I'd much rather be doing Pathfinder 2E, but that's going to be too much for them, sadly.

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat
So BG3 got me going down a rabbit hole with this stuff and now I’m thinking of trying my hand at dm’ing even though I’ve never actually played any ttrpg before. Got at least 3 friends (also never played) to agree to humour me. Was originally thinking I’d just do 5e but from googling around I’m seeing people say it’s a poor choice for all first-timers. Are the haters right or will it still be fun if I stick to 5e

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
5e is fine for first-timers, it's all just about how stringent you are with the rules, how much combat you decide to include, etc. There are systems that are lighter in rules with more RP, or focus more on short adventures without levelling up or anything, but 5e is alright.

If none of you have played that's ideal, you can make poo poo up as you go

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

My players are doing a dungeon-crawl type scenario and while I have some ideas for scripted things to happen, I also have some completely blank areas where all I've got are general ideas like

Environmental Hazard: Automated Defenses
Spook: Whispers of the Past
Adversary: Dead treasure hunters
Treasure: Antique Pict-Records

I've got a map that's evocative but pretty blank and some tokens that could represent spooky (un)dead tech-priests. And that's it. I have nine more areas, and only three have scripted encounters.

I know that dungeon crawling with randomized monster encounters, traps, and a structured time element that pushes players to either venture forward or risk a random encounter is a classic way to run this sort of area, but I have zero familiarity with how DMs actually ran it. Anyone have advice from classic AD&D on how to run a semi-randomized dungeon for a few sessions?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Morpheus posted:

5e is fine for first-timers, it's all just about how stringent you are with the rules, how much combat you decide to include, etc. There are systems that are lighter in rules with more RP, or focus more on short adventures without levelling up or anything, but 5e is alright.

Yeah 5e is fine, people rag on it, but really it's just solidly mid. If people want to do bg3 things in it you can let them though, the changes are all p fun

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Morpheus posted:

I'm somewhat experienced at DM'ing, and I'm halfway through this book and it's now my go to recommendation for other GM's, in addition to the Return of the Lazy Dungeon Master by Mike Shea. It's got a really well thought out structure that puts the important bits out up front, the principles the author is teaching are very strong, and it's got lots of resources to get you started. 10/10 Would recommend both, but get the other book before you get the Lazy DM one

https://www.amazon.com/You-Want-Game-Master-Adventure_for/dp/1645679152/

https://www.amazon.com/Return-Lazy-Dungeon-Master-Michael/dp/1726631826/

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

WaveLength posted:

So BG3 got me going down a rabbit hole with this stuff and now I’m thinking of trying my hand at dm’ing even though I’ve never actually played any ttrpg before. Got at least 3 friends (also never played) to agree to humour me. Was originally thinking I’d just do 5e but from googling around I’m seeing people say it’s a poor choice for all first-timers. Are the haters right or will it still be fun if I stick to 5e

It requires a lot more buy in and rules than something like Fellowship* or Dungeon World^^. DND is an expensive ecosystem, and more importantly, the more rules, the more players can tell you you’re wrong or forgot something.

I would ask what your players want out of the game and find a system that does that well. If they like Game of Thrones, they might love “the sword, the crown, and the unspeakable power” Or the GOT RPG.

*Made by someone on this forum!
^^ https://troypress.com/alternatives-to-dungeon-world For a whole bunch of better versions of dungeon world.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

WaveLength posted:

A fairly common criticism of D&D is that it's got a huge rulebook and so there's a lot more poo poo to learn versus other systems which are a lot more freeform and let you just make stuff up as you go, but what I think that idea misses is that most adults coming fresh to the hobby don't tend to have a strong frame of reference for what a TTRPG game is to begin with. D&D is on the crunchy (rule-heavy) side of the spectrum and does require players (particularly you the DM) to learn the rules, but most people's previous experience of sitting around a table and playing a game are board games, most of which are 100% rules--literally every action you can possibly perform is pre-defined for you. Games that are rules-light are great and I'd definitely recommend checking them out, but in my experience can be intimidating to people brand new to the hobby unless they come in from, like, improv theatre. Knowing there's a functional list of things you can do on your turn and that they have very specific effects that are not really open to interpretation is a comfort blanket that a lot of more rules-light games lack.

A legitimate problem is that the rules are not well written in places, some rules are highly open to interpretation based on stupid poo poo that would make an actual lawyer blush, but as long as you handle it the same way you would for a board game ruling (either the referee decides or the group agree on a ruling by consensus), those problems are more easily solved.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mederlock posted:

I'm somewhat experienced at DM'ing, and I'm halfway through this book and it's now my go to recommendation for other GM's, in addition to the Return of the Lazy Dungeon Master by Mike Shea. It's got a really well thought out structure that puts the important bits out up front, the principles the author is teaching are very strong, and it's got lots of resources to get you started. 10/10 Would recommend both, but get the other book before you get the Lazy DM one

https://www.amazon.com/You-Want-Game-Master-Adventure_for/dp/1645679152/

https://www.amazon.com/Return-Lazy-Dungeon-Master-Michael/dp/1726631826/

Alexander is kind of a jackass, but he is an excellent purveyor of good DM advice.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

WaveLength posted:

What do you and your friends like about BG3? 5E isn't very good but it is probably your best bet if you're like "I want the closest thing to BG3 combat but on tabletop."

On the other hand if you just like the style of storytelling or the setting or something like that, you have options.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

What do you and your friends like about BG3? 5E isn't very good but it is probably your best bet if you're like "I want the closest thing to BG3 combat but on tabletop."

On the other hand if you just like the style of storytelling or the setting or something like that, you have options.

This is probably the best answer that's been posted -- what system is best to simulate a video game will depend primarily on which things you like about that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The second best thing to simulate a video game is Fabula Ultima. The first is Save.Game. If I remember correctly, two of the stats are hop and bop.

https://evilhat.com/product/save-game/