Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Isekai Authors Hate Her: Local Manga Author's Work Has Themes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Dolash posted:

The series mines the gently caress out of the thematic significance of consunption and desire. The Winged Lion is a great antagonist for actually developing those ideas with. I'm watching the show with my fiance who didn't read the manga and I'm very interested to see her take on it develop.

It feels like a Japanese take on Warhammer Fantasy, where on the micro level you're a bunch of schlubs trying to get through a dungeon without starving or getting murdered and on the macro level the entire world is hosed up because of people grasping for both earthly and supernatural power, and those two levels feed into each other.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

VideoWitch posted:

Isekai Authors Hate Her: Local Manga Author's Work Has Themes

uhhh i have it on good authority that themes are for eighth-grade book reports

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Isekai has themes, they just aren't good themes

for example, a common theme in isekai is 'slavery is totally fine actually/a good way to get a girlfriend'

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Again I want to shout out her one shots if people haven't read them yet. If you dig high concepts unfolding into something else its kinda her main mode of work. Wolves Tell No Lies and Distant Utopia are up there in regards to best one shots I ever read.

Wolves Tell No Lies even has who I would say is a prototype Laois.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
Distant Utopia is incredible

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Snooze Cruise posted:

Again I want to shout out her one shots if people haven't read them yet. If you dig high concepts unfolding into something else its kinda her main mode of work. Wolves Tell No Lies and Distant Utopia are up there in regards to best one shots I ever read.

Wolves Tell No Lies even has who I would say is a prototype Laois.

I'm doing so immediately.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

The Members of the Inutani Household may be my favourite so far.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Metis of the Chat Thread posted:

I like that one but I especially like "Byakuroku The Broke" and "A School for Angels" and "Misunderstandings" and "Attorney at Law" and "Novel-dive" and "Distant Utopia" and

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Hey, how dare you overlook the best one, All Of Them

( But Mermaid Sanctuary particularly rules )

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Extremely Wealthy from Terrarium in a Drawer is my personal favorite, just from how good the punchline is

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

yeah, like from an objective viewpoint i think wolves beats that one but for like personal favorites inutani household is tied with a distant utopia for me. its just fun!

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
I think I'm just bad at literary analysis but I'm not able to understand "Wolves Tell No Lies".

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nebrilos posted:

I think I'm just bad at literary analysis but I'm not able to understand "Wolves Tell No Lies".

Right. The first few pages are from the in-universe manga the mom creates about her son's condition. Then the manga goes to the "real world", where her son is a young adult with more complicated feelings about his mom and his condition than the manga indicated, especially when trying to connect with a cute girl at his college.

That help?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
there is also a subset of diary manga about, raising kids with ____ , its playing off of like how you can find a mom blog about having a kid with autism or whatever

Amumin
Dec 21, 2018

There is also this piece published in one of Harta's anthologies that was translated recently. Some people here might not have noticed it.

Warning, there's nudity.

Amumin fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 6, 2024

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

VideoWitch posted:

Extremely Wealthy from Terrarium in a Drawer is my personal favorite, just from how good the punchline is

I'm fond of the swerve in this very short short I don't think is collected anywhere.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Amumin posted:

There is also this piece published in one of Harta's anthologies that was translated recently. Some people here might not have noticed it.

Warning, there's nudity.

ryoko kui... is woke! (postive)

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Amumin posted:

Warning, there's nudity.

this is one instance where i would have appreciated translator notes i picked up on the implications, but i had to go and look up if the sister's name was perceived as masculine in japan to make sure

anyway these are some great shorts the scientist complaining about how boring it is to deal with the in-depth hiring process and health and safety regulations around their teenage mecha pilots was great

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

anyway these are some great shorts the scientist complaining about how boring it is to deal with the in-depth hiring process and health and safety regulations around their teenage mecha pilots was great

Do you have a link to that one?

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Kyte posted:

Do you have a link to that one?

it's Future Interview from Terrarium in a Drawer

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

Amumin posted:

Warning, there's nudity.

That's a really good one.

Just read all of Terrarium in Drawer. Highlights:
Attorney at Law is really good. I wanna read a whole series about her dumping her boyfriend and getting together with her coworker.
Eguchi Miyoko's Travelogue really gets me. The juxtaposition of the travel diary and the reality of her trip is super cool
Perfect Communication is incredibly relatable.
Everyone is talking about Distant Utopia and with good reason. It's one of the best things I've ever read, if you only read one story from this it should be this one. I can't say enough good things about it, it manages to fit so much into 7 pages it's unbelievable
The punchline of Man from the Future (referencing an earlier oneshot) fully took me out

But really they're all good and worth reading. I'll definitely check out all the other ones I can find

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Seven Little Sons of the Dragon is officially available in English and even with the boom of people interested in Delicious in Dungeon I struggle to sell it.

Makes me sad

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

The punchline for Perfect Communication is fantastic lmao.

edit: OK yeah I get the praise for Distant Utopia, wow.

Metis of the Chat Thread fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Feb 7, 2024

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

thetoughestbean posted:

Seven Little Sons of the Dragon is officially available in English and even with the boom of people interested in Delicious in Dungeon I struggle to sell it.

Makes me sad

I didn't know it existed, but thanks to you, I now own it.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

thetoughestbean posted:

Makes me sad

That's real disappointing to hear, I was hoping for an official release of her other collections :(

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
I would buy Seven Little Sons in a heartbeat if I wasn't broke

The punchline for Perfect Communication is fantastic lmao.

edit: OK yeah I get the praise for Distant Utopia, wow.

Right????

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Distant Utopia lives in my head. It’s a wonderful statement on art

Rand Brittain posted:

I didn't know it existed, but thanks to you, I now own it.

I’m genuinely delighted to hear this

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014
Everything Kui has made is good, but I love her tendencies towards tragedy the most. The Beast still stands out for how perfectly it distills itself, the re-layering of a brief and brutal deconstruction of a common fairy tale with conflicted perspective to create something morally and emotionally complex and heart-wrenching. And that one panel scene -- everyone who's read it knows which -- simple and austere, but tapping that same essence as Ivan the Terrible and His Son. It's the crack cocaine of melancholy.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

One of her obvious strengths is characterization, especially via art with her capability of making distinct faces. I think that strength really lends itself well to strong emotional payoff like tragedy, but really anything with strong emotion fits. You can really "feel" what her characters are going through via the art.

She's so dang good!!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I sometimes wish I could go to an alt universe to see what tragic ending Dungeon Meshi would have been like. In the latest daydream hour Ryoko Kui had a bit about how the initial plan was to have Laois and Marcille go full heel. I wonder when exactly she changed her mind about that.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
"just look at this loving costume. who would take her seriously?"

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Marcille's evil costume was good and cool and cute and ruled and nobody will ever change my mind.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Counterpoint - still 2nd place to Space Queen Marcille

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Counterpoint - still 2nd place to Space Queen Marcille

*Blumenkranz from KLK plays*

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Klaus Nomi lives!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
IM
A SIMPLE MARcille

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

Snooze Cruise posted:

I sometimes wish I could go to an alt universe to see what tragic ending Dungeon Meshi would have been like. In the latest daydream hour Ryoko Kui had a bit about how the initial plan was to have Laois and Marcille go full heel. I wonder when exactly she changed her mind about that.

I honestly think it became too obvious of a direction for the story. I reckon she must have decided before Kabru started talking about that possibility out loud, because there's no way she'd have a character spelling out the way the story is going if it was still the plan.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
nice little touch in today's episode that wasn't drawn in the source panel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Oh! I caught that but didn't bother to check if that was there originally. Good stuff!