Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Bugblatter posted:

Just watched Empire Strikes Back. Decent film, but now I’m hearing that Vader guy is actually Luke’s dad? Is that from one of the books or something?

yeah its annie starkiller from the planet jedi bendu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

ive been playing on my pc more since i bought the ps5 back in 2021 or whenever but i sure do miss the simplicity of the console. been firing up the ps5 lately and it's been nice. good that no matter what the game's doing, i can just pause it and back out of it to go do a thing. just wish playstation plus wasnt a total loving rip off, let me play things online without a monthly sub please

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Bugblatter posted:

Just watched Empire Strikes Back. Decent film, but now I’m hearing that Vader guy is actually Luke’s dad? Is that from one of the books or something?

I was maybe 4? 5? when it came out. Back then there were monthly kid magazines like Hilights or Dynamite to talk about pop culture. Anyways Dynamite was the high school age one and the letter write-in topic of the month was do you think Darth Vader was really Luke’s dad? The one that sticks out to me was a teen writing in that there is no way someone as evil as Darth Vader could be the father of someone as good as Luke. Functionally it was like a cliffhanger because people really didn’t know for sure if Darth was lying or not. I also remember people being quiet leaving the theater like they’d gone to a funeral. That movie really had the country in a chokehold for 3 years

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Bugblatter posted:

Lol

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

History Comes Inside! posted:

No it is literally from the same game you are playing

Morpheus posted:

It's literally the villain of the game, it's who your wife was transporting, it's the little girl you keep seeing, the source of everything that's happening, come on dude.

ok yeah i was just wondering if it had any deeper meaning for the series as a whole. i know it wasn't JUST that character on the surface, but i still didn't actually give a poo poo in the grand scheme of things. like why the grandma as a vessel for the big bad instead of zoe, or a random cockroach crawling on the ground? what's the attachment? it's just a reason for the game to sprinkle that character throughout and make you think it's spooky or whatever.

also, i really don't understand why the game lets you choose between saving your wife or some character you only met a few hours earlier who gives you a big runaround. the only reason i considered the non-obvious/canon choice was bc i felt like it would be an intentional subversion, but there's a lot of cognitive dissonance that comes along with that choice. it makes less than zero sense for the protagonist to make that decision. why offer it?

anyway like i said the overall vibes and look and feel are cool, and i'm glad i played it. the story is assballs generic, tho. you literally take away the mention of raccoon city in the newspaper on the boat, the umbrella logo on the chopper, and the dude at the end being named chris redfield and it's no longer an RE game - might as well be anything else (maybe that's the point and why a lot of people like it?). the gameplay itself isn't strong enough to make it an all-timer or anything more than a neat one time experience.

veni veni veni posted:

I never got the hate for the boat section . It was a nice change of pace even if it’s not the strongest section in the game a

yeah i honestly thought it was well done, and i almost got excited for it to be some interesting reveal about the family. but story wise it takes things farther away from the humble opening and relegates the only interesting characters in the game to some throwaway circumstance of an experiment gone wrong

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

biceps crimes posted:

ive been playing on my pc more since i bought the ps5 back in 2021 or whenever but i sure do miss the simplicity of the console. been firing up the ps5 lately and it's been nice. good that no matter what the game's doing, i can just pause it and back out of it to go do a thing. just wish playstation plus wasnt a total loving rip off, let me play things online without a monthly sub please

For sure. I'm pretty much PS5 only except for old games, but luckily Street Fighter 6 has played nicely on my PC. Since that's something I'd play sporadically with some months off, nice to not need a sub there.

I sign up for the 1 month of PS+ like twice a year so I can upload saves to the cloud though. And I play 2 hrs of Tony Hawk on PS+. That's how I roll

My PS5 came with Call of Duty but my interest in trying its online mode hasn't lined up with months where I had PS+ for online gaming.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 8, 2024

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

ShoogaSlim posted:

ok yeah i was just wondering if it had any deeper meaning for the series as a whole. i know it wasn't JUST that character on the surface, but i still didn't actually give a poo poo in the grand scheme of things. like why the grandma as a vessel for the big bad instead of zoe, or a random cockroach crawling on the ground? what's the attachment? it's just a reason for the game to sprinkle that character throughout and make you think it's spooky or whatever.

She's not a vessel, she's Eveline. Without constant medicine her aging was accelerated, she's the same girl you see in the flashback and in the hallucinations when you see a little girl running around

As for the dubious connections to the series as a whole, yeah. It was definitely meant as a reboot of sorts, and thank goodness for that. The game after has some more stuff that ties into Resident Evil, but still not that much.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

ShoogaSlim posted:

you literally take away the mention of raccoon city in the newspaper on the boat, the umbrella logo on the chopper, and the dude at the end being named chris redfield and it's no longer an RE game - might as well be anything else (maybe that's the point and why a lot of people like it?).

The point for me was that it's still recognizably an RE game without that stuff, specifically the first half or so has a really strong RE1 vibe. You're badly underpowered but getting dragged past enemies by weird puzzles, and the farmhouse is super evocative of the Spencer mansion. Especially the main hall, especially with that tantalizing shotgun puzzle.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I regret playing the FF7 Rebirth demo, how am I supposed to wait three whole weeks now

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

people actually started using spoilers for the boat game lmao

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Morpheus posted:

She's not a vessel, she's Eveline. Without constant medicine her aging was accelerated, she's the same girl you see in the flashback and in the hallucinations when you see a little girl running around

As for the dubious connections to the series as a whole, yeah. It was definitely meant as a reboot of sorts, and thank goodness for that. The game after has some more stuff that ties into Resident Evil, but still not that much.

ah interesting. the way the game makes it seem, the little girl possessed the family in the house. or created them from her subconscious or something? the hallucination that shows that the family is actually good was clarifying but kinda felt like a copout. idk maybe im just bad at reading between the lines, or the lines themselves. i paid more attention to the documents you find lying around than i did in re4 but really all i got from it was "experiment to make bioweapon super soldiers gone wrong: little girl vomits mold monsters and wants a family."

acksplode posted:

The point for me was that it's still recognizably an RE game without that stuff, specifically the first half or so has a really strong RE1 vibe. You're badly underpowered but getting dragged past enemies by weird puzzles, and the farmhouse is super evocative of the Spencer mansion. Especially the main hall, especially with that tantalizing shotgun puzzle.

yeah the shotgun puzzle was a nice throwback. but also, in re1, you play as one of two military type characters who are equipped to go in and shoot things up. in re7 you're just some guy looking for his wife who, for some reason, doesn't nope the gently caress outta there when she turns into a monster and chops his hand off lol

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

people actually started using spoilers for the boat game lmao

are you talking about us talking about re7? if so idk this was my first time playing it and im glad things were never spoiled for me about what happens after the first few hours

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 8, 2024

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Should I even bother playing Steel Rising or just go directly to P Organ Simulator

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Just play Lies of P

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Baldur’s Gate 3 is done, another game removed from my backlog. :D

Total playtime is around 80hrs.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I started BG3 with my partner and now she gets mad whenever I go to play my other save but she just isn’t about that gamer life so I don’t think I’ll ever get out of act 1

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

ah interesting. the way the game makes it seem, the little girl possessed the family in the house. or created them from her subconscious or something? the hallucination that shows that the family is actually good was clarifying but kinda felt like a copout. idk maybe im just bad at reading between the lines, or the lines themselves. i paid more attention to the documents you find lying around than i did in re4 but really all i got from it was "experiment to make bioweapon super soldiers gone wrong: little girl vomits mold monsters and wants a family."

yeah the shotgun puzzle was a nice throwback. but also, in re1, you play as one of two military type characters who are equipped to go in and shoot things up. in re7 you're just some guy looking for his wife who, for some reason, doesn't nope the gently caress outta there when she turns into a monster and chops his hand off lol

are you talking about us talking about re7? if so idk this was my first time playing it and im glad things were never spoiled for me about what happens after the first few hours

The girl was a bioweapon that controls parasitic mycelium which lets her manipulate people. She escaped from the research ship and was taken in by the Baker family, who were just a normal family previously. Abused child + superpowers is bad mix and she gave the Bakers the mycelium infection to force them into being the "perfect loving family" she wanted and had them protect her by forcing them to be extremely hostile to outsiders. Their original more civilized consciousness still exists, but they no longer control their actions and are driven by the mycelium. Basically prisoners in their bodies forced to watch the atrocities. Sorta TLOU + F.E.A.R. Without constant medication, she aged rapidly in the years she stayed with them.

RE8 looks further into where the mycelium came from and what Umbrella were doing with it.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Goodbye, sun. Goodbye, sea. Goodbye. :cry:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

ShoogaSlim posted:

we would never spoil a good [spoile]boat[/spoiler]

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Steve Yun posted:

I was maybe 4? 5? when it came out. Back then there were monthly kid magazines like Hilights or Dynamite to talk about pop culture. Anyways Dynamite was the high school age one and the letter write-in topic of the month was do you think Darth Vader was really Luke’s dad? The one that sticks out to me was a teen writing in that there is no way someone as evil as Darth Vader could be the father of someone as good as Luke. Functionally it was like a cliffhanger because people really didn’t know for sure if Darth was lying or not. I also remember people being quiet leaving the theater like they’d gone to a funeral. That movie really had the country in a chokehold for 3 years

That rules.

ZeeBoi posted:

Baldur’s Gate 3 is done, another game removed from my backlog. :D

Total playtime is around 80hrs.

Kudos! I haven't beaten a game in a long time. Long long time... (obi-wan)

Most recent was a replay of Half-Life 2 some months back. I'm in the middle of quite a bundle of games.

Doing Cyberpunk Phantom Liberty and all the other side stuff, then back to Alan Wake 2, then thinking Like a Dragon: Gaiden, then maybe it's time to beat Zelda: ToTT, then maybe I'll finish that Kirby game, then maybe start FF7 Remake.

Maybe down at like 15 on the list is getting back to Witcher 3 once again, I'm in that part where they put on a play. I play 30 hours every other year or something.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 8, 2024

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Bugblatter posted:

the Baker family, who were just a normal family previously.

Correction: Lucas was always a shithead and in fact is being drugs by a third-party that let him keep his free will. He's just plain like that.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bugblatter posted:

Oh, but what if I told you the studio has been in Korean news multiple times for misogynistic treatment of their female staff? And the local toxic gaming community cheers them on for it?

I really wanna like the new character action game with cool monster design because that is 100% my thing… but I think I am too skeeved out at this point.

Oh no that's terrible! Is there any hope of the company unionizing and bouncing back or is it a case where it's impossible to save? I know those aren't the kind of reasons that'd get people unionizing and it'd be a pretty unique circumstance but maybe they'll be the first and this won't happen quite so easily. I wanna be optimistic.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I think the left stick on my dualsense that came with the PS5 is showing drift. :rip:

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Hall Effect sticks for PS5 when.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Don’t people make/sell aftermarket ones

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah but they require desoldering the old modules and soldering in the new ones so it’s not the most friendly mod to do, and that’s before you get into a bunch of nonsense about how they’re hard to get calibrated and tend to only max out at like 75% of the input range of the original sticks.

If you’re not goony enough to already own a soldering setup you might as well just buy a new controller, and even if you are that goon you’re probably still better off just buying a new controller.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I just got to chapter 8 of Infinite Wealth, and I gotta say that the way they're doing Kiryu's advancement is dead on perfect. I was just grinning ear to ear as I realized what they were up to.

That said, also a good place to set the game to the side for a little while. Helldivers ready to roll tomorrow morning!

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Bugblatter posted:

The girl was a bioweapon that controls parasitic mycelium which lets her manipulate people. She escaped from the research ship and was taken in by the Baker family, who were just a normal family previously. Abused child + superpowers is bad mix and she gave the Bakers the mycelium infection to force them into being the "perfect loving family" she wanted and had them protect her by forcing them to be extremely hostile to outsiders. Their original more civilized consciousness still exists, but they no longer control their actions and are driven by the mycelium. Basically prisoners in their bodies forced to watch the atrocities. Sorta TLOU + F.E.A.R. Without constant medication, she aged rapidly in the years she stayed with them.

RE8 looks further into where the mycelium came from and what Umbrella were doing with it.

yeah and also she can vomit up mold monsters? or mold that turns into monsters? idk i don't get it

ZeeBoi posted:

I think the left stick on my dualsense that came with the PS5 is showing drift. :rip:

my launch dualsense has looong been drifted into a state of being unusable. i bought a replacement that i never use bc i wound up getting a dualsense edge not long after that. do yourself a favor and take the plunge. it's mostly the same exact experience but when you play a game where the rear bumpers come in handy, you wonder whether it's even possible to go back to playing without them.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Fix posted:

I just got to chapter 8 of Infinite Wealth, and I gotta say that the way they're doing Kiryu's advancement is dead on perfect. I was just grinning ear to ear as I realized what they were up to.

That said, also a good place to set the game to the side for a little while. Helldivers ready to roll tomorrow morning!

I don't mind spoilers, the trailer is about how he has cancer. Being happy about his advancement I don't know what that means, I hope it means he's recovering and not dying of cancer? What's the thing you're talking about I guess?

Also I had heard somewhere that it was mentioned that Kiryu messed around with toxic waste during the time between games, working for that shadowy company, big WTF to that.

I don't know what advancement means here, but glad you're digging it! I've still got Gaiden to rock sometime soon. Maybe you're talking about fighting moves?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
drat I don’t think I realised quite how old the boat injoke was until seeing these reactions. Time moving forward strikes again

Halfway through a TLOU2 replay and yeah this game is still easily one of the best ever made, the movement and the set-pieces/level design is all soooooo good even without factoring in the incredible story and performances

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Noice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS8j0CjD4WE

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Escobarbarian posted:

drat I don’t think I realised quite how old the boat injoke was until seeing these reactions. Time moving forward strikes again

Halfway through a TLOU2 replay and yeah this game is still easily one of the best ever made, the movement and the set-pieces/level design is all soooooo good even without factoring in the incredible story and performances

I'd play it again for the gameplay but I won't because of the story lol. This is testament to the story being good, I can't go through it again.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am not going to play the FFVIIrebirth demo because I want all the awe and wonder to happen with no gaps. Hearing some of the joyful reactions got me thinking 'possible portal 2 dethroner?'

I did, last week, finish the FF1 pixel remaster and that was just a sweet little fun time game. The orchestral BGM is utter brilliance and seeing some of the themes have been with the series since the very beginning is so cool. Nobuo rules.

I am about five hours into FF2 and the level of advancement in terms of how they changed up the systems in play is utterly wild. Having to learn words and go to other people and chat again and again to figure out where to go is so neat for a NES game. Also the method of levelling up - based on what you do rather than just a generic level up. It means I can focus specific things. Also magic across the board for everyone is neat.

The music is even more phenomenal and the battle theme is dynamite!

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Heran Bago posted:

Can't believe Silent Hill made me out my PS5 as German.

Yeah I noticed that, too. That is one of those typical beauricratic decisions that are completely useless that Germany is always good for.
No, there are 0 parents that pay PS+ for their minors, and no kids has ever gone to Aldi and bought PS5 credit, why do you ask?

The idiocy in this is palpable, it comes right after "Someone made a deep fake of the chancellor, we need to do something against deep fakes - okay new law: From now on, if you make a deep fake you must write deep fake under it. Problem solved. Bing Bong so simple!".

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I’ve played through TLOU2 3 times now and it’s the only game where I don’t skip any cutscenes on replays.

But yeah, the reason I’ve played it three times and not more is because the narrative absolutely affects my overall mood. It’s one of my favorite combat systems in any game and I’d replay it as often as I do DMC or From games if the story didn’t hit so hard.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

VideoGames posted:

I am not going to play the FFVIIrebirth demo because I want all the awe and wonder to happen with no gaps. Hearing some of the joyful reactions got me thinking 'possible portal 2 dethroner?'

I did, last week, finish the FF1 pixel remaster and that was just a sweet little fun time game. The orchestral BGM is utter brilliance and seeing some of the themes have been with the series since the very beginning is so cool. Nobuo rules.

I am about five hours into FF2 and the level of advancement in terms of how they changed up the systems in play is utterly wild. Having to learn words and go to other people and chat again and again to figure out where to go is so neat for a NES game. Also the method of levelling up - based on what you do rather than just a generic level up. It means I can focus specific things. Also magic across the board for everyone is neat.

The music is even more phenomenal and the battle theme is dynamite!

FF2 is so good. Can't wait to hear your reactions to FF3 tho :hai:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Also I have to say the being able to add an element to your weapon once per life mechanic in Lies of P is such an elegant solution

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Rebirth demo didn’t blow my socks off and Cloud felt kind of clumsy and awkward to control, especially when you head out towards the reactor for the first time and have to scramble around a bunch of rocks and nonsense, BUT, I remember feeling the exact same way about the Remake demo and I ended up loving the final game so I fully expect to love this one anyway once I get to spend some real time with it.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Haven't finished the demo yet but the mild amount of jank in the movement is perfectly acceptable to me. In fact makes it feel more gamey in a way. Anyway I quickly switched from graphics to performance mode. The game looks great either way

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

not even going near the demo. staying 1000 feet away from anyone who's played it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

not even going near the demo. staying 1000 feet away from anyone who's played it

It’s literally just playing the first chapter of the game a couple weeks early my dude