Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

A team should make a goofy trade to save us from this. Something like Nylander for Hanifin straight up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

A team should make a goofy trade to save us from this. Something like Nylander for Hanifin straight up

Alex right?

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Misanthrope posted:

Yeah I remember that as well.. it was a well thought out answer that demonstrated he had some actual usable grey matter up there at some point.

It must have been before this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JuE-2ekZFw

It was at a pre-season media availability event that most of the star players were at in Vegas in September 2022. During that, McDavid made the previous worst statement about this, saying that he was proud to represent Hockey Canada and that the incident was terrible for everybody

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Treliving is at his best when he's panicking ... it'll be alright Leaf fans, you'll probably never pick in the 1st or 2nd round again but it'll be alright alright alright.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Makar also stated that hockey culture needs to be more inclusive and do a better job of allowing people to feel safe.

I wish I could find the actual video of that interview

See, now this is complete coached PR nonsense (because what the gently caress does inclusivity have to do with rape?) but nobody got mad at him for it because coached PR nonsense is what anyone who is as dumb as he is should be doing right now.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

See, now this is complete coached PR nonsense (because what the gently caress does inclusivity have to do with rape?) but nobody got mad at him for it because coached PR nonsense is what anyone who is as dumb as he is should be doing right now.

Crosby's "I'm not asking in soundbites, but if anyone wants to have a real conversation, cool" was smart because it's a more thoughtful sounding "no comment" and there's like 2 legitimate journalists in the hockey world who would take him up on the offer and not ask boring hockey questions and softballs.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Cocaine Bear posted:

My fantasy hockey league is pissed about that "we don't know how to count stats" thing. Everyone sitting out of the playoffs is saying they want their money back. It's great!

I'm still unclear on why they even bothered to do it. They audited the "hits" stat specifically. Does anyone really care if someone had 5 hits instead of the 3 that were recorded? I mean, obviously some people might care for fantasy/betting purposes, but does anyone ACTUALLY care enough to go back and count? I doubt it.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I'm still unclear on why they even bothered to do it. They audited the "hits" stat specifically. Does anyone really care if someone had 5 hits instead of the 3 that were recorded? I mean, obviously some people might care for fantasy/betting purposes, but does anyone ACTUALLY care enough to go back and count? I doubt it.

Lou Lam is trying to justify his 4th line again.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Yeah, I kept trying to find some deeper meaning or reason they were announcing. Only person who will give a poo poo is some fantasy nerd dork but you do you, nhl

E: I mean, they are to the hilt on sports betting so maybe there's something there but like, the damage is done just quietly change it going forward. It's so weird I love it.

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 8, 2024

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Hits are pretty subjective too. Some body contact is counted as a hit, some isn't. There was really no need to do it.

My assumption is the third party that performed the audit for them is someone's kid.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Is there a reason why nobody specifies injuries anymore? Is that a CBA thing?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

shyduck posted:

Is there a reason why nobody specifies injuries anymore? Is that a CBA thing?

Yeah it is part of the agreement with the NHLPA. The excuse they use is that "the other team would target the injury" - which I think is probably not true. I think it's because basically every NHL player is probably playing injured to some extent, at least for portions of the season, and by making it confusing they're avoiding judgement and people saying "hey why is the guy who had concussion symptoms last week playing again already?"

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
drat three games seems liiiight https://twitter.com/NHLPlayerSafety/status/1755376605810032763?t=AT5WgKo3X8cs7wx-ZZxPiw&s=19

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Regarding what Mr. Kite said, it’s tough. I’ve been told not to comment on what Makar said. I’ve been straightforward from the start. I wasn’t there, posting a few hours ago. It was a very fortunate bounce to not obviously be a part of something like that, posting like Mr. Kite. I’m just going to leave it to the mods and thread regulars who are handling the work right now. I can’t stress enough that I wasn’t part of that, the posting.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

i think we all ought to say a prayer for them, it's a tough life when people post certain things to you

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Aye Doc posted:

i think we all ought to say a prayer for them, it's a tough life when people post certain things to you

Lmao

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

So the Caps are going to be sellers very soon if not already. And because Backstrom and Kuznetsov are on LTIR and players assistance program, their cap comes off the books. This means the Caps can be a dumping ground for poo poo contracts to eat cap space for free picks and such, like in some of those crazy three way trades.

https://russianmachineneverbreaks.c...h-paid-centers/

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Sergachev just probably broke his leg or at the very least disorganized the wiring/plumbing in his left leg.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Misanthrope posted:

Treliving is at his best when he's panicking ... it'll be alright Leaf fans, you'll probably never pick in the 1st or 2nd round again but it'll be alright alright alright.

Luckily Dubas gave away all those picks for garbage before skipping town

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Yeah it is part of the agreement with the NHLPA. The excuse they use is that "the other team would target the injury" - which I think is probably not true. I think it's because basically every NHL player is probably playing injured to some extent, at least for portions of the season, and by making it confusing they're avoiding judgement and people saying "hey why is the guy who had concussion symptoms last week playing again already?"

NFL reports if a player has a hangnail so the targeting thing doesn't pass

Unless the injury is a detached pubic plate, in which case tell everyone

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Wonderllama posted:

Sergachev just probably broke his leg or at the very least disorganized the wiring/plumbing in his left leg.

Uhh wasnt it his first game back

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

stab posted:

Yep

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Wonderllama posted:

Unlucky bounce. Could have happened to any of us.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

stab posted:

Ayup

https://x.com/Harjas_Grewal/status/1755412057951027245?s=20

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ooof I didn't see it the first few plays but yeah... once you see it you immediately know ankles aren't meant to do that

good lord, poor guy

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit

stab posted:

Hundreds of new posts what's going on in this thr...

:yikes:

I agree with the terrible no-good Habs fan.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
think i might've posted about this like a month ago but anyone else have dhgate make them do payment verification when buyin a jersey? i've had an account there for like 15 years ...

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Elliotte Friedman woke up and chose violence today: “On Tuesday night, I took Steph to see Neil deGrasse Tyson. Among the fascinating things we learned: there is a one-in-2,700 chance an asteroid named “Bennu” will hit Earth in September 2182.

Hopefully by then we'll know the fate of the Arizona Coyotes.”

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Arivia posted:

Elliotte Friedman woke up and chose violence today: “On Tuesday night, I took Steph to see Neil deGrasse Tyson. Among the fascinating things we learned: there is a one-in-2,700 chance an asteroid named “Bennu” will hit Earth in September 2182.

Lmao goddamn

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGeBRmL4D/

British ice hockey may be generally poor quality, but it does have some redeeming features.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Arivia posted:

lol

I'm tempted to check hfboards to see the extreme levels of cope from the coyotes fans on there as they're a special breed of crazy from what I've seen in screenshots, but that would require me to visit hfboards

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I do feel bad for the Coyotes diehards, the franchise has been in Arizona longer than they were in Winnipeg, but it's just beyond absurd at this point. No other major league would put up with this and no other commissioner would either

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Yeah I'd be hesitant to write off the entire market as I'm a firm believer that hockey can work anywhere if you've got the right crew(s) in place, but it is going to hit a point soon that the league will absolutely have no other choice but to relocate

I think they're saying they have a tract of land in mind to attempt to go after but if you even have tangential knowledge of what that process will be like, there is no way they can make it happen before time runs out at the shed they're playing in

E: the correct thing to happen isnt just the Houston Aeros, but also put an AHL club back in San Antonio #BringBackTheRampage

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Oh I agree it can still work, and I think the course of action might just be let the Coyotes go and apply for an expansion franchise when an arena deal works out, and they would probably get preferential treatment. That's probably what they should've done all along. How long can this continue to be strung about. They can't play in a college rink forever.

edit: I don't entirely trust that they'll win that tract auction. I can easily see the Saudi Investment Fund scooping that poo poo up because they seem to own half of Arizona as it is

edit2: Maybe not, looks like Hobbs is giving the alfalfa farms the boot

shyduck fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 8, 2024

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Good soup! posted:

Yeah I'd be hesitant to write off the entire market as I'm a firm believer that hockey can work anywhere if you've got the right crew(s) in place, but it is going to hit a point soon that the league will absolutely have no other choice but to relocate

They hit that point at least 10 years ago, but the franchise will never relocate as long as Gary Bettman is alive.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
Looking forward to their inevitable rebrand as the Houston Aeros or Salt Lake Doorknockers

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

They hit that point at least 10 years ago, but the franchise will never relocate as long as Gary Bettman is alive.

Oh for sure, I just assume Alex Meruelo has some Epstein's Island-level dirt on Bettman at this point

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Good soup! posted:

Oh for sure, I just assume Alex Meruelo has some Epstein's Island-level dirt on Bettman at this point

I learned today that his failson runs the teams twitter account and posted this unironically

https://x.com/arizonacoyotes/status/1755423369279971805?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Bill Guerin is US Olympic GM

Didn't he do a sexual assault :negative: