Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

I purchased Exordia just fine in Australia, as an ebook, at least. Which is also generally the UK release date, isn't it?

I wanted to read it in dead tree form. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

tildes posted:

I read The Peace War yesterday, which was my first intro to Vernor Vinge. It was good enough that it got me to pick up and start A Fire Upon the Deep, and so far I am a huge fan. I think I’ll probably finish this series first, then maybe do the second book in the peace war universe, but what other books of his would y’all recommend?

Rainbows End and The Snow Queen

rmdx
Sep 22, 2013

Kesper North posted:

A climax, not the. It's very multiple.

Fractal, even.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

voiceless anal fricative posted:

Exordia is available on Amazon UK, maybe it's just that whatever bookseller you're using hasn't got any copies yet?

My dude, that link literally says "Available February 27th 2024".

Injera
Jul 4, 2005

Jedit posted:

My dude, that link literally says "Available February 27th 2024".

The link for me shows the day I purchased it and can read it now from there, I'm in the UK and am reading it on my Kindle after buying it on Amazon UK. So I dunno why it's showing different at least!

robostac
Sep 23, 2009
The physical hardback is 27th, the digital (ebook / audiobook) are available now. Amazon is probably switching the default version based on your buying history.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

sebmojo posted:

i've always wondered - is this funny because it's wildly inaccurate? it seems about as right as most of the stuff that was coming out at the time, hits some, misses some?

Someone more familiar with the thread might remember more accurately but I'm pretty sure the term came about due to him just attaching poo poo to the wall to hold it up. I think it's funny because it was just one of the many, many insanities about the construction.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Someone more familiar with the thread might remember more accurately but I'm pretty sure the term came about due to him just attaching poo poo to the wall to hold it up. I think it's funny because it was just one of the many, many insanities about the construction.

You're talking about the Grover house but the question is about the Grover iraq war predictions. The crossover is pretty funny though. Attaching poo poo to the Iraq prognostication to hold it up with many, many insanities

mewse
May 2, 2006

sebmojo posted:

i've always wondered - is this funny because it's wildly inaccurate? it seems about as right as most of the stuff that was coming out at the time, hits some, misses some?

It's wildly inaccurate in a uniquely dumbass American way. It's cheerleading the invasion and buying everything the Bush administration was shovelling. By creating a "predictions thread!!!" it was gamifying a war crime. From nearly every angle it was an absurdity.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Colin Powell holding a printout of the post aloft, showing it to the UN

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Yeah, but the UK has Red Side Story now and we have to wait another three months, so it works out I guess.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Exordia update:

I can't describe in words how much I love this poo poo. I'm gonna have to reread all the posts about it soon and steal theirs. I've highlighted so much!

It really hits the spot

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 7, 2024

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Started Exordia yesterday, finished it today. Holy gently caress, what a ride. It's like someone shot down Blindsight with nukes and it crashed into The Good Place. One of those books that leaves me staring around in confusion going "what the gently caress can I possibly follow that up with?" It's so good. And unlike Baru it didn't emotionally flense me, which I was not expecting.

Also, I wasn't expecting someone to straight up quote the Wizard's Oath halfway through the book, but I do appreciate it. I was wondering when I encountered "claudication" early on, it's not a commonly used word. Nor I was expecting it to be funny; yeah, a lot of it's pretty bleak, but there are also some places where I just lost it like the special forces guy mournfully asking if he should feed a mouse to the captive black hole.

cptn_dr posted:

Eight perspectives, all coming together to coherently illustrate a fractally beautiful whole? Oh! Exordia is shaped like a khai! Ambush-predator-rear end novel.

I didn't even notice that, and now I want to go back and see if I can match up viewpoint characters to the roles of specific heads.

Also, it has so much stuff in it, both concepts and events, and slingshots around so many different subgenres as it leaps between viewpoints and climaxes, that it feels like you could take any given chapter and pull it out of the book and decompress and expand it into an entire book of its own. Which means that Exordia is, itself, self-similar, and as you zoom in it contains smaller reflections of itself.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 7, 2024

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

ToxicFrog posted:

I didn't even notice that, and now I want to go back and see if I can match up viewpoint characters to the roles of specific heads.
After finishing Exordia I did a similar thing where I tried mapping characters to passions, but wasn't sure about the last few.

RoboCicero posted:

I assume each POV character embodies one passion just because it'd be formally complete. I'm not completely sure about this because some of the later ones are a little looser.

Prajna: Aixue
Serendure: Anna / Ssrin
Caryatasis: Chaya
Rath: Erik + Clayton (and Rosamaria, via induction)
Geashade: Davoud (assuming that Iruvage taking his sight was the pain necessary to complete geashade).
Hesper: Khaje, in relation to Davoud
Preyjest: Iruvage, in relation to Erik? Anna, in relation to Erik? Chaya, in relation to Clayton? I assume not Iruvage since he could've ensouled Blackbird via preyjest, but possibly the soul that comes out of it hasn't been told long enough to be complete the way that one via Erik/Clayton/Anna/Ssrin would be.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Done with Exordia. I knew nothing about it aside from people itt liking it and it was by the Baru Cormorant guy. I have mixed feelings.

The book is way too long for the story its telling. The opening with Anna and Ssrin palling around was excellent. I wanted that book. This is more of a personal hangup, but I'm so sick of reading about the military (and their guns, and their bombs), even under a less than flattering lens. The middle section with all the physics discussion seemed like 2/3 of it could have been cut.

The book does pick back up in Part 4, but it loses the path a bit again toward the end. The "real plan" for the ship was signalled well, but the pages of fighter pilot chatter and nuclear arsenal talk brought it down for me.

I wasn't into the sequel crumbs either. I wanted this to be a standalone. The book was already so long.

I don't want to come across as too negative, because I did like the underlying ideas presented. I also love a villain who is so cartoonishly over the top with his dickishness. If you enjoy descriptive technical accuracy, then go for it. If that's not really your bag (and it's not mine), but are interested in the ideas Exordia presents, I highly recommend reading the short story Anna Saves Them All. (Don't read if you plan to read Exordia.)

https://www.shimmerzine.com/anna-saves-them-all-by-seth-dickinson/

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

It's long, but for me it was one of those books like Cyteen that has lots of pages and lots of heavy content but goes down real smooth.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

robert jackson bennett's new book (first in a series) is out
richard swan's as well

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011

tildes posted:

I read The Peace War yesterday, which was my first intro to Vernor Vinge. It was good enough that it got me to pick up and start A Fire Upon the Deep, and so far I am a huge fan. I think I’ll probably finish this series first, then maybe do the second book in the peace war universe, but what other books of his would y’all recommend?
The other suggestions have been good but you really can't go wrong with Vernor Vinge. Except for Children of the Sky, one of those sequels that brings back all the wrong things from the cool book it's a sequel to.

branedotorg posted:

Rainbows End and The Snow Queen
Not sure if this was a joke but Snow Queen is (a) amazing but (b) written by Joan D. Vinge, not Vernor Vinge. She was married to him for seven years but divorced just before Snow Queen came out.

This is a good reminder; I haven't read Snow Queen in a long time but two decades ago I thought it was really underrated and since then it seems like it's just slipped further into obscurity. Back then I really disliked the sequel Summer Queen because I was mad about how it treated the male lead from Snow Queen in what struck me at the time as a mean-spirited way that probably channeled the author's own marital situation, but perhaps I'd think differently as an older and hopefully wiser person.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Been reading The Night-Bird's Feather by Jenna Moran, after seeing it recommended many times in this thread (but possibly just by the one person?) It's a really beautiful, strange, unique book. I'm struggling to describe what makes it special since a lot of the tags one could assign to it (it's Ghibli-esque, it has a fairy tale style, it deals with mental health) are technically accurate but don't really get to the heart of its appeal. All I can say is I love to read a writer whose prose could never have been written by anyone else, and Moran is definitely that.

Also that some plot points in the first chapter are uncannily similar to The Boy and the Heron despite it being released a couple years earlier.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Sailor Viy posted:

Been reading The Night-Bird's Feather by Jenna Moran, after seeing it recommended many times in this thread (but possibly just by the one person?)

There are dozens of us! Dozens!

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Yes, I've been raving about Jenna for years

tiniestacorn
Oct 3, 2015

Sailor Viy posted:

Been reading The Night-Bird's Feather by Jenna Moran, after seeing it recommended many times in this thread (but possibly just by the one person?)

ALL RIGHT, fine, I'm ordering a copy!

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Doktor Avalanche posted:

oh poo poo, nice. i should really get around to finishing the foundry trilogy

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ToxicFrog posted:

Holy gently caress, what a ride. It's like someone shot down Blindsight with nukes and it crashed into The Good Place.

Now that's a jacket quote.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Sailor Viy posted:

Been reading The Night-Bird's Feather by Jenna Moran, after seeing it recommended many times in this thread (but possibly just by the one person?) It's a really beautiful, strange, unique book. I'm struggling to describe what makes it special since a lot of the tags one could assign to it (it's Ghibli-esque, it has a fairy tale style, it deals with mental health) are technically accurate but don't really get to the heart of its appeal. All I can say is I love to read a writer whose prose could never have been written by anyone else, and Moran is definitely that.

This whole post is dead-on. That last line is especially true, and I love her books dearly for it. I tend to describe her RPG career as being the Galapagos Islands of RPG design: just off in her own space where nobody else is even thinking of working, doing unspeakably beautiful and weird things without any competitors. Her novels are not as utterly unique as the RPGs, you can actually draw reasonable comparisons to other things as you've described, but once you've read her prose you'll recognize it anywhere.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Is it better than her take on the smurfs? I really bounced off that one.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Tokelau All Star posted:

If that's not really your bag (and it's not mine), but are interested in the ideas Exordia presents, I highly recommend reading the short story Anna Saves Them All. (Don't read if you plan to read Exordia.)

https://www.shimmerzine.com/anna-saves-them-all-by-seth-dickinson/

Is there any link between this and Exordia because they seem very similar?

mystes
May 31, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

Sometimes authors take ideas they used in short stories and make them into novels?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

mystes posted:

Sometimes authors take ideas they used in short stories and make them into novels

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

Yeah they explain it in this interview from Jan 21 https://www.grimdarkmagazine.com/an-interview-with-seth-dickinson/

quote:

GdM] Like The Traitor Baru Cormorant, your book Exordia was a short story before it became a novel. In this case, Anna Saves Them All.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Lex Talionis posted:

The other suggestions have been good but you really can't go wrong with Vernor Vinge. Except for Children of the Sky, one of those sequels that brings back all the wrong things from the cool book it's a sequel to.

Not sure if this was a joke but Snow Queen is (a) amazing but (b) written by Joan D. Vinge, not Vernor Vinge. She was married to him for seven years but divorced just before Snow Queen came out.

This is a good reminder; I haven't read Snow Queen in a long time but two decades ago I thought it was really underrated and since then it seems like it's just slipped further into obscurity. Back then I really disliked the sequel Summer Queen because I was mad about how it treated the male lead from Snow Queen in what struck me at the time as a mean-spirited way that probably channeled the author's own marital situation, but perhaps I'd think differently as an older and hopefully wiser person.

50% a joke - i really liked her Queen series and think it should get more attention, she took that very vague Hans Christian Anderson inspiration and built a really strange and compelling world with it - although i never really enjoyed Psion and Catspaw

Doktor Avalanche posted:

richard swan's as well

the Swan one i had on preorder but thanks for the heads up on RJB, I found Foundryside a bit juvenile and disappointing after City of Stairs so hadn't been following but fantasy buddy cop is a genre I'm almost guaranteed to but

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Authority (Southern Reach #2) by Jeff VanderMeer - $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GET18P2/

Fiasco by Stanislaw Lem - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008R2J70M/

Just Over the Horizon (Short Fiction #1) by Greg Bear - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0155UBSVE/

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

I'll step up to defend Vinge's Children of the sky. If your favorite thing about A fire... were the tines, like for me, then go for it.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
Like 20 percent through Exordia and it's like Bakker but irl. Without the rapey crap so far! Whether being like Bakker is an insult or compliment I'll leave to your discretion.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Fall; or, Dodge in Hell by Neal Stephenson - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071X3ZWDN/

Far Thoughts and Pale Gods (Short Fiction #2) by Greg Bear - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0155UBSDC/

Beyond the Farthest Suns (Short Fiction #3) by Greg Bear - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0155UBSSC/

The World Jones Made by Philip K Dick - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005LVR01A/

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Finally finished Exordia(I blame listening to the Audiobook while driving/working out) and it was excellent. Looking into some lighter fare I went to see what I could use an Audible credit on.

Foreign covers just hit harder. Plus, I like the pew-pew for Barrayan.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Sweet cover illos.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Close to wrapping up Exordia, and I googled the Qandils to see what was up with the setting, where I found a review for the mountains. 4 stars. "No friends in the world only mountain" Highlight of my day so far.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
City of Last Chances was loving excellent, so thanks to whoever recommended it in the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I bought Exordia.

I don't know if it's a good book or not yet, but this is a well-constructed EPUB.