Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Switchback posted:

Dino what are your opinions about those pouches of rice you microwave for 90 seconds?

lol uncle Ben's. Stuff is indeed wasteful but I mean there are some instances for it like camping if you're not bringing things to actually cook.

Thus: bring things to cook when you camp, a camping stove + pot and pan and ingredients = full meal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
They make a good sterile substrate to grow mushrooms with.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

therattle posted:

I’m not dino but I hate the plastic waste in those. I’d rather cook a load of rice and freeE portions.

I'm interested in hearing more about these free E's

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

who has a whole minute for rice these days?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah. Just eat a 1/2 cup of the Uncle Ben’s straight up, then wash it down with 3/4 cup of water. No need to waste time microwaving it.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

500excf type r posted:

They make a good sterile substrate to grow mushrooms with.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Doom Rooster posted:

Yeah. Just eat a 1/2 cup of the Uncle Ben’s straight up, then wash it down with 3/4 cup of water. No need to waste time microwaving it.

You need to have a hot bath or shower afterwards to ensure it cooks through properly

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Switchback posted:

Dino what are your opinions about those pouches of rice you microwave for 90 seconds?

It’s complicated. I understand that I’m able bodied, and have access to a rice cooker, the money to be able to buy 20 lb bags of rice, and the ability to bring said 20 lb bags of rice home, the storage containers to keep the rice free of bugs for the three or so months it takes me to go through that rice, and the space to store it. When I was young, I had parents with the time to teach me how to cook, and I had access to enough rice, and the guidance of a parent to be able to cook several pots of rice in the rice cooker, so that I became good at it, and can do so with confidence.

I also get that the RTE (ready to eat) rice is a seriously huge game changer when making dishes that require the grains to be separate. (RTE rice is what we call the microwave pouches.) The process to get those grains into the pouch makes it so that the rice grains are not sticky at all. You can open the pouch, break up the rice with your fingers, and immediately start making a stir fried rice, or another such similar thing.

It’s a convenient thing to have when you’re at a hotel or something, or a school dorm, or any other situation where you want rice, but don’t have the space or facilities to make rice happen.

That said. They taste FINE, but are trash when compared to the real thing. Also, Minute Rice is not the same thing. Minute Rice is actively loving gross. Do not buy that trash.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Does anyone know how they process this sort of rice in the UK?

It's not grown in the UK but is labelled as UK origin as it is processed there (a £900 million industry somehow!). I ask because when I was growing up we'd always buy stuff like that and absolutely never washed it (nor did anyone I know) and it came out fine. When I started buying Jasmine rice abroad or imported short grain rice I quickly learnt that washing made a big difference to getting consistently good cooked rice - I had a go recently at washing that sort of basmati when visiting my parents and even the first rinse was extremely clear, so I wonder if it's prewashed or something?

I noticed that Waitrose has also started stocking own branded Hom Mali rice and it's way better than jasmine rice's I've seen in supermarkets before.

distortion park fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Feb 7, 2024

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

distortion park posted:

It's not grown in the UK but is labelled as UK origin as it is processed there (a £900 million industry somehow!). I ask because when I was growing up we'd always buy stuff like that and absolutely never washed it (nor did anyone I know) and it came out fine. When I started buying Jasmine rice abroad or imported short grain rice I quickly learnt that washing made a big difference to getting consistently good cooked rice - I had a go recently at washing that sort of basmati when visiting my parents and even the first rinse was extremely clear, so I wonder if it's prewashed or something?
i'm convinced its pre-washed as well for what it's worth

Pretty rad dad pad
Oct 13, 2003

People who try to pretend they're superior make it so much harder for those of us who really are. Philistines!
bought a rice cooker off the back of this thread making me go 'hm, maybe I've actually been doing this badly the whole time'

...buy a rice cooker, everyone

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

distortion park posted:

I noticed that Waitrose has also started stocking own branded Hom Mali rice and it's way better than jasmine rice's I've seen in supermarkets before.

They import the brown rice, and polish it down to white rice in the UK. It's sure as hell not grown in the UK.

And no, it's not pre-washed. Like I said before, not washing rice won't harm you. And, the moisture content in Basmati is low enough that even if you do just throw it straight into the cooking pot, it'll come out fine. However, having known what rice has to go through before reaching your table, I do wash my rice every time, because it's just gross to be eating the dust and such that tags along on the grains.

Yes, if you're buying Hom Mali rice then the Thai government has Very Strong Opinions, and enforces them with export standards as outlined here:

https://faolex.fao.org/docs/pdf/tha166269.pdf

If it's labelled Hom Mali it's at least 92% pure.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
What does purity of rice mean? If my Thai hom mali is 97% pure what's the other 240g floating around in the sack composed of?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

impurities

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Decoy Badger posted:

What does purity of rice mean? If my Thai hom mali is 97% pure what's the other 240g floating around in the sack composed of?

Unscrupulous rice dealers will cut the rice with all kinds of foreign bodies like cornstarch, fake rice, bits of plastic, flour, et cetera. That’s why whenever there’s a big rice deal, before the buyer hands over the suitcase of cash to the seller’s heavies, they’ll have someone like dino. come along to cut open a bag with a knife, scoop out some rice, taste it, and (if applicable) nod their heads to say that it’s pure, or maybe even something like “oh yeah,that’s the good poo poo”

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

therattle posted:

Unscrupulous rice dealers will cut the rice with all kinds of foreign bodies like cornstarch, fake rice, bits of plastic, flour, et cetera. That’s why whenever there’s a big rice deal, before the buyer hands over the suitcase of cash to the seller’s heavies, they’ll have someone like dino. come along to cut open a bag with a knife, scoop out some rice, taste it, and (if applicable) nod their heads to say that it’s pure, or maybe even something like “oh yeah,that’s the good poo poo”

Or, just as likely, run it through a quick couple of lab tests looking for % broken grains, moisture content, impurities (rocks and twigs and poo poo). Every distillery does this with every grain delivery, takes only a couple of minutes to waive a truck onto the loading docks.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Trucks on waivers, what is this rice hockey

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

dino. posted:

It’s complicated. I understand that I’m able bodied, and have access to a rice cooker, the money to be able to buy 20 lb bags of rice, and the ability to bring said 20 lb bags of rice home, the storage containers to keep the rice free of bugs for the three or so months it takes me to go through that rice, and the space to store it. When I was young, I had parents with the time to teach me how to cook, and I had access to enough rice, and the guidance of a parent to be able to cook several pots of rice in the rice cooker, so that I became good at it, and can do so with confidence.

I also get that the RTE (ready to eat) rice is a seriously huge game changer when making dishes that require the grains to be separate. (RTE rice is what we call the microwave pouches.) The process to get those grains into the pouch makes it so that the rice grains are not sticky at all. You can open the pouch, break up the rice with your fingers, and immediately start making a stir fried rice, or another such similar thing.

It’s a convenient thing to have when you’re at a hotel or something, or a school dorm, or any other situation where you want rice, but don’t have the space or facilities to make rice happen.

That said. They taste FINE, but are trash when compared to the real thing. Also, Minute Rice is not the same thing. Minute Rice is actively loving gross. Do not buy that trash.

What a kind and balanced view of packet rice.

Who knew a thread about rice could be such entertaining and informative content!

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Whoever put that video up on the sticky rice tutorial all those different ways, thanks for that. I used the basic soak and steam method last night, and it came out great. Had it with some fried chicken watching the bawl game. Delicious.

Also I have a Thai cookbook where they toast sticky rice in a dry pan then pulverize it in a cuisinart to have crunchy sprinkles on papaya salad. I haven't tried that yet. Sounds neat.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Decoy Badger posted:

So I checked a certificate of analysis from a random shipment of Thai Hom Mali rice. Purity was 96% and some change. Red or undermilled kernels were 0.1%. Yellow kernels were 0.13%. Chalky grains were 0.5%. Damaged grains were 0.14%. White glutinous rice was 0.15%. Broken grains were 2.6%. Add it all up, and it comes to another 3.62%. You don't get exactly 100% when all are combined, but it's pretty damned close (99.62%), and can be explained by rounding off issues. The sampling is done in 1 KG samples taken from each of the bags, and an average is calculated overall. Hopefully, this gives you a snapshot of what a bag of good quality rice should look like. Per 100 grains of rice, no more than 4 of them should have issues in a decent bag of Hom Mali rice.

@Rattle - Even the most careful millers can end up with paddy grains, rocks, dirt, or other foreign material in the rice. It's all down to how strict your spec sheet is. A lot of times, the more expensive rice that you see in the markets have a much smaller tolerance for issues with the grain, because the market it's being sold to is more sensitive than the typical people who buy it. For example, if you're a customer who runs the product through your own cleaning machines, and just need us to get the product from overseas to here, you'll have MUCH higher tolerance for foreign material in the sacks than someone who's opening up the sacks and using them immediately to cook. Make this triply so if the customer is literally sorting the rice by hand, because they don't have machines to test for foreign material. In those cases, the tolerances are almost zero. In a 44,000 lb load of rice, if there's more than like 5 or 10 rocks, they'll reject the load as not cleaned well enough. Whereas for the customers with their own cleaning material, they don't care to pay the extremely expensive markup to have rice that's been cleaned to that level, because they're gonna do it anyways, and they can do it cheaper than we can, because they're using their own in-house staff. The issue with cleaning to that level of zero foreign material is false positives. Yes, the color sorting machine will kick off grains with weird colors on them, but will also let through a couple of ones that are juuuust on the border of OK. If you jack up the strength of the rejections, you'll risk losing good viable product to the reject pile. Once it's in the reject pile, it's not worth sending through the machine again to pick out the good grains from the dirt, debris, and rocks, so it all gets discarded. This means that the markup is significantly higher for those who need that level of clean.

For the typical customer, a couple of things in the bag of rice isn't going to bother them, as they're going to wash the rice. Or, if they're not going to wash the rice, they're not that freaked out by dirt anyways.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-68293149

quote:

Scientists grow 'meaty' rice hybrid food for protein kick

Scientists have created a new type of hybrid food - a "meaty" rice that they say could offer an affordable and eco-friendly source of protein.

The porous grains are packed with beef muscle and fat cells, grown in the lab.

How do you feel about the existence of this?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
That reminds me of those vitamin containing breeds from a few years ago. They never showed up for sale in my area, do you know if they got popular anywhere?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i initially thought they had created a new rice variety with substantial protein in it and then i see they just took rice and pumped pulverized cow into it. mmhmmmm

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Yeah for a moment I was all "Oh, rice that tastes like meat and has higher protein, without having to stop being vegetarian for it?"

lol nope. Just rice soaked in fish and cow goop.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

VictualSquid posted:

That reminds me of those vitamin containing breeds from a few years ago. They never showed up for sale in my area, do you know if they got popular anywhere?

I know that in some jurisdictions, "Golden Rice" is mired in legal bullshit from farmers and such, preventing it from being grown or sold commercially.

mystes
May 31, 2006

IIRC crazy people in developed countries who are afraid of genetic engineering convinced the developing countries it was designed to help that it was poisonous or something

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

PurpleXVI posted:

That describes lab grown meat that is grown on rice. I think calling it rice makes as little sense as calling a rice fed chicken rice.
Just make some chickenrice instead.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Rice that grows little cows inside of it would be pretty great tbh. Can we GMO this?

mystes
May 31, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Rice that grows little cows inside of it would be pretty great tbh. Can we GMO this?
perhaps if you assume a perfectly spherical cow

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
It's not just meat-infused rice though, it's rice being used as a medium for growing meat :science:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I also use rice to grow meat. Usually in the belly area.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i always enjoyed an article about rice in korea and i found it translated to english not-halfassedly today

https://askakorean.blogspot.com/2010/08/ask-korean-news-korean-food-in-america.html

the guy's kinda a hater, but that's in the nature of things

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Feb 16, 2024

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i always enjoyed an article about rice in korea and i found it translated to english not-halfassedly today

https://askakorean.blogspot.com/2010/08/ask-korean-news-korean-food-in-america.html

the guy's kinda a hater, but that's in the nature of things

quote:

When the ignorant masses eat the stale Big Mac and praise it as if it is the most perfect dry-aged porterhouse (see, for example, David Chang and his fraudulent franchise,) the Korean is at a loss for words.

What does this mean (or was is more intelligible in korean?)

Also rip kawi it was honesty one of his top threeish best restaurants but it was at the top of a dead-on-arrival mall so...

RoastBeef fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Feb 16, 2024

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
that guy (the translating guy, not the original article writer) fuckin hates david chang because, as the accusation goes, chang doesn't know poo poo about actual korean food. i find the accusation to hit pretty well, just on chang's surprise at how many banchan there are

here's the guy bein more of a hater in more detail

https://askakorean.blogspot.com/2012/04/korean-on-economist-gets-lunch.html

the exported korean food is pretty fuckin colonial in character, like a lotta exported desi food, so there's some casus belli for hatin' there

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 16, 2024

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

PurpleXVI posted:

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-68293149

As a former Hindu, and a vegan, ew. Srsly. Ew.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I tried whole grain rice and boy is it better for my sugar levels compared to white rice. I also like the texture.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

His Divine Shadow posted:

I tried whole grain rice and boy is it better for my sugar levels compared to white rice. I also like the texture.

Yes, nutritionally it might not make much difference but the GI is much better.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

What is your opinion of Maharani brand 1121 Basmati rice, OP?

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

We bought some short grain brown rice and tried soaking it before cooking based on the advice of this thread. Absolute game changer. The difference between this and unsoaked long grain brown rice is like night and day. My life is now better for having clicked on a forum thread about rice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Everett False posted:

My life is now better for having clicked on a forum thread about rice.

I've been taking cooking advice from dino for over a decade but pre-soaking Calrose before putting it in the rice cooker is the one that I will whisper to my children in the womb.

Also, dino! Link your drat cook book! It's very good.