Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Glazius posted:

Because you're limited per type in how many revival items you can carry.

She literally says "And this is the absolute maximum number of revives we can possibly have."

Also for describing boss stuff... you can describe something as much as you want, even show videos, it won't fully click until someone actually experiences it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Caros posted:

Sure there is an element of literary conceit (why does she not describe all the bosses attacks and her plans in advance, other than that she is a dick like them), but the core loop behind fighting this is very similar to something like absolute virtue, albiet by abusing overpowered consumables rather than cheap abilities.
I was also slightly annoyed that they didn’t seem like they had gone over everything together but I understand it was a choice to avoid full on exposition dumping of the plan and maintain tension during the fight. I feel like it could have been done well but I can’t blame them for taking a slightly easier narrative route with some additional suspension of disbelief. And as you said it also made for more humorous moments which might have been more difficult to set up.

Also I feel like they should have used the pyramids first if only because they are cheaper and you might be able to come out of the fight with spares but maybe they are stamina regen half as well as hp instead of full even though it feels like a rez should give you full stamina regardless.

OP is still a banger this cour but I like the first one better.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Yeah, I feel like the move would be to use the half rez items first when you know each hit is a OHKO
Since Wethermon's final(?) phase isn't necessarily totally understood, he might have some smaller attacks or an aura effect or something where being at max HP could be useful.

This is the episode where I finally clicked "Oh, WEATHERmon I get it."

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Caros posted:

It's even got a bit more 'realism' than a lot of similar takes because the defeat of the boss isn't even 'look at their overpowered cheat skill etc' but instead a combination of good players, he ay preparation and throwing obscene amounts of money at the problem.

i raided in a top 100 guild for nearly a decade and this was pretty much how progression content always went, especially in the vanilla days before the developers decided to make things much more painless

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Also this whole thing is probably bankrupting pencil so when she eventually gets ganked she doesn’t lose as much.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Haystack posted:

Yeah, one of the endearing things about SLF is that the author has clearly played a lot of MMOs and knows what makes them interesting. For example, a lot of authors would be tempted to add some melodrama to this current fight to up the stakes. Instead, it's just a lady with a dumb pun name getting over-invested in the lore, and relying on her idiot friends to tank good. It'd be fun thing to do in a real MMO, and it's a fun thing to watch in SLF.

also follows the classic mmo rule that the stupider the usernames the more skilled the players

e: especially if they also have stupid outfits. dark_fyre67 in their black trenchcoat is going to die the second the raid starts but you know the dude in a bird mask and underwear is some kind of ascended hyperbeing who will never lose

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 3, 2024

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yinlock posted:

also follows the classic mmo rule that the stupider the usernames the more skilled the players

e: especially if they also have stupid outfits. dark_fyre67 in their black trenchcoat is going to die the second the raid starts but you know the dude in a bird mask and underwear is some kind of ascended hyperbeing who will never lose

starfleet dental at one point had a long catalog of exploits and bugs in the horribly written STO engine and you'd bet the best exploits were the ones that made our characters looked dumb as gently caress (one dental even wrote a hack program that unlocked hidden sliders in the character creator to make them look even dumber)

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Hello new dumb hat and goodbye new dumb hat.

bean mom posted:

i raided in a top 100 guild for nearly a decade and this was pretty much how progression content always went, especially in the vanilla days before the developers decided to make things much more painless

This episode definitely shows that the author has put in their time with progression groups. Every one of these idiots feels very familiar to me.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Episode hit the right beats pretty good.

I liked the stuff for the big move

Also all the ghost poo poo going off on Wethermon that you would 100% get in a final phase boss in a real mmo hits just right and sells it visibly

Though since SLF in the story goes big on the realism, couldn't they just like cut Kirin's power cables when it tries to transfer power for the laser hand? I noticed the obvious telegraph that pencil missed and thought about it.

But also Lol at it spinning up Katzo and then slamming his rear end into the dirt

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Yeah, I feel like the move would be to use the half rez items first when you know each hit is a OHKO
Since Wethermon's final(?) phase isn't necessarily totally understood, he might have some smaller attacks or an aura effect or something where being at max HP could be useful.

This is the episode where I finally clicked "Oh, WEATHERmon I get it."

Worth noting that virtually every other medium calls him Wezaemon.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
lmao I cannot loving believe that we are still technically fighting this dude through to next week

This is a FOUR episode fight. That is approaching the length of an actual movie just fighting one dude.

Though, to be fair the narrative structure dictates that the fight will be over near the beginning of next episode (likely involving the pendant saving Sunraku from death) and then we'll probably get most or all of the aftermath then.

I honestly can't decide if this is epic or the biggest episode pad in modern history. I love the show, and am trending towards it being Epic, but I kind of feel like the animation and dynamics in this fight should be a level or 2 higher considering that this is basically a movie, feature-length encounter. It's fine though, and the episode went very quick and was super fun.

It is possible that JJK has made my expectations for battles way too high.

Haystack posted:

And I LOVE it.

I'm mostly trending that way too- I think it's going to be really awesome when the show can be binged. I'm just amazed we're a month into this fight.

Actually more because of the break, like 5 or 6 weeks? lol

Is this anime 24 episodes in this cour/season?

Taima fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 4, 2024

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

And I LOVE it.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Taima posted:

More studios should actively try to kill their animators.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Taima posted:

lmao I cannot loving believe that we are still technically fighting this dude through to next week

This is a FOUR episode fight. That is approaching the length of an actual movie just fighting one dude.

Though, to be fair the narrative structure dictates that the fight will be over near the beginning of next episode (likely involving the pendant saving Sunraku from death) and then we'll probably get most or all of the aftermath then.

I honestly can't decide if this is epic or the biggest episode pad in modern history. I love the show, and am trending towards it being Epic, but I kind of feel like the animation and dynamics in this fight should be a level or 2 higher considering that this is basically a movie, feature-length encounter. It's fine though, and the episode went very quick and was super fun.

I'm mostly trending that way too- I think it's going to be really awesome when the show can be binged. I'm just amazed we're a month into this fight.

Actually more because of the break, like 5 or 6 weeks? lol

If you notice the ID fragment actually caused him to switch to secret hard mode. This is now an achievement run done on maximum difficulty. Probably without it he would have just timed out and collapsed or something, but the ID fragment has caused his spirit to awaken and now you actually have to kill his rear end

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Taima posted:

25 according to AniChart. One more episode and probably a lot of aftermath from it. Being the first ones in SLF to beat a unique is going to draw a LOT of attention to them.

It was good to see that Emul's gift had a critical effect on the battle. The revelations from Weazemon's utterances show there's tons of backstory yet to uncover.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I like that the big monster sold as 1 of 7 special unique things in all of existence (in game at least) that's hard to find, requires a month of prep time to even set up the start of the fight and tons of restrictions to the mechanics of the fight is an actual difficult fight that isn't over in like 2 episodes.

It's not like the fight is dragging, every episode has a lot of twists and turns and fun action shots alongside new information and phases that change how the protags are fighting it.

Like we even got some cool setting lore from this.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
This fight is like 2 whole volumes of the manga or something like that, they aren't really padding it.

It also owns super hard. I suspect they're budgeting their time to put some extra oomph into the animation next week since that should be the climax.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Taima posted:

I honestly can't decide if this is epic or the biggest episode pad in modern history.

To be fair, this fight is very true to the manga. It’s a ton of chapters spent on just this fight.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
While the fight was also very stretched out in the manga, it could have used one less DBZ grade "30 minutes to do gently caress all" episode to get to the end of the fight.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

AtomikKrab posted:

If you notice the ID fragment actually caused him to switch to secret hard mode. This is now an achievement run done on maximum difficulty. Probably without it he would have just timed out and collapsed or something, but the ID fragment has caused his spirit to awaken and now you actually have to kill his rear end

The ID tag doesn't actually do anything of note except trigger some lore dialog from him not too disimilar from how wearing the Captains Hat vs King Ikana triggers dialog in Majora's Mask or completing the Deathroot Questline in Elden Ring. And yeah like Sindai said, the fight spanned like 2 volumes worth of manga on the fight alone not counting the aftermath.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 4, 2024

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Just wanna appreciate Sunraku's cackling and the archeologist subclass giving you access to a whip

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Gonna be honest, I'd be disappointed in SLF if the Archaeologist class didn't give you a bullwhip.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
What a fantastic episode; I especially loved the music going on during the Kirin fight. Just a very satisfying fight all around.

Also another great SLF mini poor Rei just cannot win, even against herself.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Good poo poo this episode,

Him repeating that line after each time he does his ultimate is perfect raid boss stuff

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Do watch the ED to this one. When they changed it over for the season break it felt a bit weird to get a love song over a protag montage, but it's got the proper visuals to it now.

Stand tall, my friend. May all of the dark lost inside you find light again.

On a completely unrelated note, it must feel weird as gently caress for Sunraku to learn pertinent information about the game he's currently playing through a mass-market media publication, rather than in the proper way by webcrawling for xXx_fAIlIAslAYEr666_xXx's increasingly unhinged mechanical breakdown on some two-year old blog now populated only by adbots trying to establish a legitimate pattern of platform usage.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Nemo2342 posted:

What a fantastic episode; I especially loved the music going on during the Kirin fight. Just a very satisfying fight all around.

Also another great SLF mini poor Rei just cannot win, even against herself.
I liked the contrast with the emotional ED that's the culmination of how beating this video game boss is the most important thing in the world and then the very silly mini afterwards that sort of undercuts that by taking a step back and observing the irl priorities of someone else

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Glazius posted:

On a completely unrelated note, it must feel weird as gently caress for Sunraku to learn pertinent information about the game he's currently playing through a mass-market media publication, rather than in the proper way by webcrawling for xXx_fAIlIAslAYEr666_xXx's increasingly unhinged mechanical breakdown on some two-year old blog now populated only by adbots trying to establish a legitimate pattern of platform usage.

A very long time ago, there were gaming mags that didn't act as a paid for advert to activision or EA. I remember getting MMO stuff news and tips on paperback when i was a kid.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

SlowBloke posted:

A very long time ago, there were gaming mags that didn't act as a paid for advert to activision or EA. I remember getting MMO stuff news and tips on paperback when i was a kid.

Same. I remember getting strats and guides from old Nintendo Power and EGM for bosses and areas way back in the day.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Usually I don't like that trope of the super shy girl with a crush, but Saiga is genuinely hilarious. This girl needs therapy.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

lmao yeah she's so loving weird

i think considering this was apparently a very drawn-out boss fight in the manga as well, they did a good job keeping it exciting and keeping things moving. ive been consistently impressed at how SLF has managed to take some, on the face of it, very standard and boring setpieces and make them interesting. it feels like this show should be bad, but it isn't

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

sharkmafia posted:

lmao yeah she's so loving weird

i think considering this was apparently a very drawn-out boss fight in the manga as well, they did a good job keeping it exciting and keeping things moving. ive been consistently impressed at how SLF has managed to take some, on the face of it, very standard and boring setpieces and make them interesting. it feels like this show should be bad, but it isn't

The pacing was honestly impressive, not to short given the level of the enemy in weight of the story, not overly drawn out either. Given that Kirin was effectively a second major battle, 4 episodes was a very good amount and really showed off Wethermon's move's in the detail that those attacks needed.

Also if they ever do a SLF themed battler game, Wethermon needs to be a secret character in it.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Great episode and the SLF Theater was amazing too. And oh man the super high quality shading on Emul in the pre-intro was so smooth. I have to admit, I didn't love the concept of a rabbit sidekick at first, but Emul completely won me over. Sunraku-san! Sunraku-san! Daijoubu!

What really struck me (and I'm kind of amazed no one has talked about it) is how this episode felt like an entirely different anime, was it directed by a different director or something?

The animation, art, shading, angles and perspective shots... they went so all-out for this episode that it almost felt out of place!!

If they could maintain that level of shading, art and direction for every episode it would be out of this world, but that's ok- I have really enjoyed this anime and I'm looking forward to seeing the loot they get.

Kinda wondering if I should just read the manga after this season is over...

AtomikKrab posted:

The pacing was honestly impressive, not to short given the level of the enemy in weight of the story, not overly drawn out either. Given that Kirin was effectively a second major battle, 4 episodes was a very good amount and really showed off Wethermon's move's in the detail that those attacks needed.

I don't know how much I can cosign on a 4 episode boss fight being "impressive pacing" but it was very fun and now I am ready to get moving on more story, to say the least. More Emul please

AtomikKrab posted:

That's interesting, I didn't notice that- do they get anything for doing the Hard Mode?

If I understand right they just defeated the hardest boss anyone has ever fought, a class of enemy which no one has killed before now. And on top of it they did it on hard mode. The Loot Factor is off the charts.

I hope the other party members get their own awesome bunny companion or something equally dope considering all they've accomplished. If they aren't sporting the best loot in the game something is seriously broken with their drop system.

Taima fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Feb 13, 2024

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Yeah, i will say that I was very impressed with the... shot transitions, in particular? There were some very creative ones, like pencilgon kicking the imagined sunraku in the face to get him off the screen. I agree that the art direction in this particular episode had a lot of extra effort thrown into it- as you might expect for the climax episode of this big boss fight, but still, they did a good job.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
This episode animation credits had a lot of heavy hitters according to twitter, production wanted to splash out on the arc ending to make it look good.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

sharkmafia posted:

Yeah, i will say that I was very impressed with the... shot transitions, in particular? There were some very creative ones, like pencilgon kicking the imagined sunraku in the face to get him off the screen. I agree that the art direction in this particular episode had a lot of extra effort thrown into it- as you might expect for the climax episode of this big boss fight, but still, they did a good job.

The imagined sunraku mocking them if they caused a wipe was in the manga,

And it is exactly true to real life.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Taima posted:

I hope the other party members get their own awesome bunny companion or something equally dope considering all they've accomplished. If they aren't sporting the best loot in the game something is seriously broken with their drop system.

That boss has some great loot on his drop table, but there's a 50% chance that he just doesn't drop anything. mmorpgs can be cruel like that.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Been looking forward to this episode all series and I'm so glad they nailed it.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Taima posted:

Great episode and the SLF Theater was amazing too. And oh man the super high quality shading on Emul in the pre-intro was so smooth. I have to admit, I didn't love the concept of a rabbit sidekick at first, but Emul completely won me over. Sunraku-san! Sunraku-san! Daijoubu!

What really struck me (and I'm kind of amazed no one has talked about it) is how this episode felt like an entirely different anime, was it directed by a different director or something?

The animation, art, shading, angles and perspective shots... they went so all-out for this episode that it almost felt out of place!!

If they could maintain that level of shading, art and direction for every episode it would be out of this world, but that's ok- I have really enjoyed this anime and I'm looking forward to seeing the loot they get.

Kinda wondering if I should just read the manga after this season is over...

I don't know how much I can cosign on a 4 episode boss fight being "impressive pacing" but it was very fun and now I am ready to get moving on more story, to say the least. More Emul please

That's interesting, I didn't notice that- do they get anything for doing the Hard Mode?

If I understand right they just defeated the hardest boss anyone has ever fought, a class of enemy which no one has killed before now. And on top of it they did it on hard mode. The Loot Factor is off the charts.

Best part, the VA's actually got married recently!

And yeah the quality was VERY extra for this whole battle, but ESPECIALLY this episode and yes you should pick the manga up and read it from the start since some volumes actually include little side bits of info and trivia not shown in the series(other poo poo games Sunraku has played, item and lore explanations, character bios, etc).

The pendant...actually doesn't do anything exactly as stated. It doesn't unlock any secret hard mode it just makes Wethermon realise he's fighting someone who's made contact with "The Divinity" or someone familiar with that time. It's like the Deathroot quest and Maliketh.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I keep rewatching it, and I just love how the stadium rock kicks in right as Pencilgon kills herself to replace her arm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Setsuna of the Bygone Days and Wethermon the Tomb Guardian(with Sunraku and co in an unseen corner)

https://twitter.com/hiroyuki_taiga/status/1756848055327023455?t=KGMMlj_x-PDeXjbuuhp7SQ&s=19