Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I didn’t even know it was ending until this chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah I'm going to need help understanding the process where mma is canceled, because I was so invested in it. It just moved so well, can't wait to see what comes in after it (and likely judge it unfairly).

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Genuinely pissed that MMA didn't even get a year. I hate this stupid publication.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

kuronuma’s tap-out was the mangaka’s :smith:

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Kingtheninja posted:

Yeah I'm going to need help understanding the process where mma is canceled, because I was so invested in it. It just moved so well, can't wait to see what comes in after it (and likely judge it unfairly).

This thread has been discussing for weeks on end how low MMA was on the popularity polls and fretting over how it could be axed.

I didn't really expect it to happen that abruptly, it seems like they usually announce that a manga will end in however many chapters? Maybe it was a decision by the mangaka, they also seem to have preferred to finish out the last arc more naturally and just jump to this.

Honestly, given that I think they did really well with the ending. It tells us that Nito makes it to that fight eventually. I really appreciated the decision of giving us his brother's perspective in those closing moments as well. I think the decision to close out the last arc as intended and just give a courtesy bow out in the last chapter fits in with my overall impression of MMA as a pretty well thought-out and put-together manga.

panko posted:

kuronuma’s tap-out was the mangaka’s :smith:

Ouch. I've only started following brand new Jump series close enough to pay attention to these early cancellations since like 2019 and this is one of the worst.

If I have to examine MMA somewhat critically to think about why it did so poorly despite being a pretty well-grounded punchman with decent characters, I would have to look a lot at precisely that well-executed but vanilla flavor that even comes across in the art style. The art is perfectly good, the mangaka is way better than most at drawing different faces, but in my opinion despite that there isn't much that jumps out. I have to think that this coupled with a very standard sibling rivalry driving the plot probably didn't do the manga any favors.

I hope the mangaka gets another though, because despite being cut short MMA was shaping up to be very competent and I'm sad that it ended.

In the interest of promoting another very early but promising shonen that I don't want to see cancelled, try The God Before Me / Me no Mae no Kami-sama which is currently at 7 chapters and is about a generation of young shogi players.

Tosk fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 11, 2024

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
The one thing I'll say is that I'm glad it didn't change what it was doing to try and stick around. Like, no weird sudden gimmicks, no beach chapter, just letting the characters fight. A good manga in the short time it had.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

MMA getting canned hurts like when Ayashimon ended. Where the manga ended not from any flaw within itself but because it somehow didn't connect with audiences.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

There have been a lot of titles on Jump that I really liked and ended way too quickly. I've gotten to the point where I'm gun shy about starting a new series. I just wait until it's been around for a year or so.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

there are so many worse series than mma still ongoing, this is so sad

by far the best axed manga in a long while. it deserved better

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

muscles like this! posted:

MMA getting canned hurts like when Ayashimon ended. Where the manga ended not from any flaw within itself but because it somehow didn't connect with audiences.

Yep. Sometimes a work isn't inherently bad, it just doesn't wind up being popular enough by whatever internal metrics the company has that they decide to cancel it in order to make way for some fresh blood to hopefully churn out a banger quicker.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

there must be something about MMA that just does not click with sales when it comes to manga, because this seems to be a pretty consistent pattern

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

kidcoelacanth posted:

there must be something about MMA that just does not click with sales when it comes to manga, because this seems to be a pretty consistent pattern

Maybe there wasn’t enough mystery. MMA was very straightforward and very competent.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I think the art just wasn't that flashy and the plotline was well-executed but pretty formulaic "talented young fighter goes on quest to match up to his very skilled evil older brother" and that angle might just be played out at this point unless you bring something a little more fresh to the table.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

kidcoelacanth posted:

I think other than enthusiasts of it manga audiences aren't interested in MMA outside of it losing to traditional martial arts (especially the mysticism of it). Sorta like how if there's a big armored character there's zero chance of them not being the biggest jobber.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I said it before but Jump Editorial will destroy the next One Piece by chapter 30 in a mad dash to find it before OP finishes.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 11, 2024

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

ConanThe3rd posted:

I said it before but Jump Editorial will destroy the next One Piece by chapter 30 in a mad dash to find it before OP finishes.

isn't this kinda what happened with Kimetsu, already? Granted that wasn't chapter 30, but I do still have the impression that it was on a trajectory to wrap up before the anime caused it to go supernova in terms of popularity

I don't envy the comics artists in Japan who have to figure out whether they want to aim for the maximum exposure and maximum risk that WSJ brings you VS publishing anywhere else where the spotlight is less bright but the guillotines don't fall quite as often

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
It sucks it got cancelled, but I also wasn’t surprised. It was hard to follow at times what it exactly was aiming for, and unfortunately I think it spun its wheels a bit too much at the beginning getting to the great fights and big complications.

The big reason I’d say this sucked is because I think Two on Ice should have been cancelled first because Two on Ice is just awful.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

OnimaruXLR posted:

isn't this kinda what happened with Kimetsu, already? Granted that wasn't chapter 30, but I do still have the impression that it was on a trajectory to wrap up before the anime caused it to go supernova in terms of popularity

I don't envy the comics artists in Japan who have to figure out whether they want to aim for the maximum exposure and maximum risk that WSJ brings you VS publishing anywhere else where the spotlight is less bright but the guillotines don't fall quite as often

Demon Slayer got 200 chapters. I think Jump was perfectly fine letting it run.

“They’ll cancel their next One Piece before they find it!” is frankly a galaxy brained take because they have a ton of stuff that isn’t cancelled. Kill Blue doesn’t seem in any danger. Akanebashi didn’t seem like a Jump title and it’s clearly established itself. They’re letting Nue’s Exorcist go despite goons hating it.

Like, correct me if I’m wrong but One Piece was well liked right from the get go. It wasn’t something they thought was gonna fail but gave it a chance and it blew up. Keeping that in mind they’re doing exactly what they’re doing to get the next One Piece because it should be popular right away.

Yes, things will take time to find an audience, but I think author’s at this point know what they’re getting into with Jump.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

The Black Stones posted:

It sucks it got cancelled, but I also wasn’t surprised. It was hard to follow at times what it exactly was aiming for, and unfortunately I think it spun its wheels a bit too much at the beginning getting to the great fights and big complications.

The big reason I’d say this sucked is because I think Two on Ice should have been cancelled first because Two on Ice is just awful.

Jump (typically) axes things in release order. It's why Cipher went first before MMA. ToI is definitely getting the axe sooner than later too, though.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ConanThe3rd posted:

I've said this before but yeah, if One Piece came out today, it likely would have been canceled around the orange town/syrup village arcs.

Series just aren't given the same room to breathe and grow nowadays as they were back then, especially with it being more competitive now than ever to get into WSJ and the editorial department wanting to get a massive cash cow fast.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

:rip: MMA.

It was a good manga

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It's gonna get worse after MHA/JJK end and One Piece lurches ever closer to ending.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Julias posted:

I've said this before but yeah, if One Piece came out today, it likely would have been canceled around the orange town/syrup village arcs.

Series just aren't given the same room to breathe and grow nowadays as they were back then, especially with it being more competitive now than ever to get into WSJ and the editorial department wanting to get a massive cash cow fast.

That is just like completely incorrect. One Piece was loving popular as poo poo from the jump. Has never stopped being popular and will likely never stop being popular.

Saying they would have killed one piece is silly considering that was something that made them money incredibly quickly.

JJK didn't get canceled, MHA didn't get canceled. Sakamoto Days didn't get canceled. Yozakura Family is still going. Ditto with Elusive Samurai.

Demon Slayer wasn't on the chopping block but it was like a middling series like Yozakura/Elusive Samurai etc before blowing up. Also I think the Author themselves sorta wanted to end things.

Like man it's fine to love series that aren't popular or resonating with people. I have had a number of them(I will never forget you Mx0 or Phantom Seer). But at the end of the day you sorta have to realize that just because a handful of people here like it, it doesn't mean it's resonating or working for the people who like actually go out and buy/pay for the magazine every week in the home market.

Fabricated posted:

It's gonna get worse after MHA/JJK end and One Piece lurches ever closer to ending.

People said the same thing the last time a popular series ended and then JJK came along.

They have probably like 3-4 years which means what like 9-16 cycles of series to get to see if one hits.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 11, 2024

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I see no one has discussed the new series yet.

I don't like it, frankly. It reminds me somewhat of I Tell C. I think a more serious take on the concept, where the psychic cop would have legal restrictions on when he could use his powers and the series would acknowledge that these restrictions were necessary, might have worked, but the actual implementation here, where a cop reading people's minds whenever he feels like is meant to be seen as ~wacky~ rather than horrifying, really doesn't work.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
MMA deserved to be in a better publication. :colbert:

If you enjoyed it and haven't read All-Rounder Meguru, read All-Rounder Meguru.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

It sucks but there really really is not a case to keep MMA over trying something new.

The Author has some promise, I bet they are back with something new.

Real ones remember Oumagadoki Zoo or Barrage, and thinking that Author had a ton of promise, and then they went on to create a major hit. Even if people don't like it now as much now as it's continued on lol.

The Kuroko's author made a flop of a golf series after KnB and came back with Kill Blue which is doing extremely well.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Losing Mamayuyu would be/is going to be a shame.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Silver2195 posted:

I see no one has discussed the new series yet.

I don't like it, frankly. It reminds me somewhat of I Tell C. I think a more serious take on the concept, where the psychic cop would have legal restrictions on when he could use his powers and the series would acknowledge that these restrictions were necessary, might have worked, but the actual implementation here, where a cop reading people's minds whenever he feels like is meant to be seen as ~wacky~ rather than horrifying, really doesn't work.

I thought it was fine. It had some good gags and I think making it a comedy was a pretty neat idea than going for the obvious serious take on it.

I don’t know how far the idea can go though. I don’t see it lasting long.

Nate RFB posted:

Losing Mamayuyu would be/is going to be a shame.

Mamayuyu is one where I don’t get the love. It’s okay, but it jumps so quickly from plot points that it has no room to breathe after the incredibly slow opening. It just introduces character after character hoping someone sticks.

It could be really good, but I think it stumbled right out of the gate for me.

The Black Stones fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 11, 2024

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

MMA cancellation proves Jump's abandonment of Sports and this will cost them dearly.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

Maybe there wasn’t enough mystery. MMA was very straightforward and very competent.

The most successful manga with MMA based combat had to add giant man eating monsters and spider-man grapple hooks to catch on. You don't have those, people will notice.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
SJ has cancelled roughly 80% of series before they hit 26 chapters and has done this since the 80s. They just weren't translated before so you would never see it happening if you weren't in Japan.

https://landofobscusion.blogspot.com/2023/07/the-tangerine-terminator-look-at-shonen.html

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Yeah, Mamayuyu feels weirdly rushed.

Also, I feel like they could have taken the "they're from different worlds" thing further and had Heroes/Demon Lords who were mech pilots, phantom thieves, magical girls, cyberpunk ninjas, etc. Although they did have one Demon Lord who was an idol singer.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Idols in that world seem to be more WWE with music than what what we imagine under the term "idol". Honestly Minerva is a really fun and memorable character and like half of a reason why I kept following Mamayuyu. :v:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Darth TNT posted:

Here's the answer - straight-forward MMA manga, but occasionally the protagonist's veins start glowing at key moments.

This mystery box will remain unopened for the entire manga, but will keep audiences invested. Maybe to string them along have some random old man watch a match and go "heh" when he sees the veins glow.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Shame about MMA. Felt like it was starting to cook, filling out the supporting cast with fun stock characters like delinquent kid and jeet kune do ojousama.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

The Black Stones posted:

Two On Ice is good at showing the sport side of figure skating, but man are the characters and writing just loving terrible otherwise

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Haikyuu was pretty standard sports with fun characters, wonder why it caught on, while others have not.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

Haikyuu was pretty standard sports with fun characters, wonder why it caught on, while others have not.

Fujiyoshi

Same reason Prince of Tennis was popular as poo poo. And Kuroko's

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It's da goddamn fujoshi............

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Anyway sports is a tried and true shonen genre with wide appeal and I think honestly a lot of the recent sports offerings in Jump that were cancelled early have been pretty average. MMA was of course real good but it had the obstacle of being a sport that was also fighting and I think that has a bit more of a barrier just because a bunch of people reading Jump would probs prefer a battle shonen or whatev, I personally think it was more than good enough to overcome that but alas.

Anyway new Golf manga is doing alright, only read the first 6 chapters but I think I found it solid enough. Here's to hoping it will be the new long running Sports comic Jump is desperately in need of!!