Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
JJK is the FIRST manga to depict a fight scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

Started reading this last month after watching just the first season of the anime. I have to admit, I don't *quite* fully understand the magic system but boy is it really fun to look at. Currently around chapter 180.

Jujutsu isn't the crunchiest magic system in manga but it gets the job done. Also, Yuta vs the ancient sorcerers/cockroach spirit is still really good on review. I love Ryu so much RIP

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

This fight is fine and all but "Unlimited Blade Works : Copy Edition" doesn't really strike me as the coolest/most unique fight scene in a manga that usually has quite a few. I feel like I'm missing something that makes this stand out. Maybe I'm just a bit disappointed in the 'empty field full of swords' visual since I was hoping for something more distinct for the domain expansion.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Stairmaster posted:

man have you even read dragon ball

what stairmaster said

there is a reason dragonball is a gold standard for shounen storytelling

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Tosk posted:

He was talking about Yuta I'm pretty sure

oooh pfft, he was lol. yuji isn't even unique in his brattiness

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

This fight is fine and all but "Unlimited Blade Works : Copy Edition" doesn't really strike me as the coolest/most unique fight scene in a manga that usually has quite a few. I feel like I'm missing something that makes this stand out. Maybe I'm just a bit disappointed in the 'empty field full of swords' visual since I was hoping for something more distinct for the domain expansion.

For the current scenario I think this domain is probably the best thing to throw at Sukuna that isn't Infinite Void. I get the feeling that Gege wants to tap into a bit of the same energy of Chrollo vs Hisoka from HxH where one guy has a copy ability and he's fighting someone with a single power. Granted this is just my impression and Yuta's copy as well as the setup aren't the same when Chrollo told Hisoka upfront all the powers he would use and didn't pull out a new one as a surprise move. Instead he just used the nuance of combining powers against Hisoka whereas Yuta can't combine effect the same way it seems.

On it's own though I think when paired with Rika and Yuta's abnormally large cursed energy pool. It's still one of the better domains to pull out. But unlike Gojo, Sukuna, Jogo, and Mahito; the lack of an overtly hostile environment paired with the domain's sure hit attack depending on what Yuta actually has copied does leave Yuta's lacking when compared to the rest.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Brought To You By posted:

For the current scenario I think this domain is probably the best thing to throw at Sukuna that isn't Infinite Void. I get the feeling that Gege wants to tap into a bit of the same energy of Chrollo vs Hisoka from HxH where one guy has a copy ability and he's fighting someone with a single power. Granted this is just my impression and Yuta's copy as well as the setup aren't the same when Chrollo told Hisoka upfront all the powers he would use and didn't pull out a new one as a surprise move. Instead he just used the nuance of combining powers against Hisoka whereas Yuta can't combine effect the same way it seems.

On it's own though I think when paired with Rika and Yuta's abnormally large cursed energy pool. It's still one of the better domains to pull out. But unlike Gojo, Sukuna, Jogo, and Mahito; the lack of an overtly hostile environment paired with the domain's sure hit attack depending on what Yuta actually has copied does leave Yuta's lacking when compared to the rest.

Oh, I don't mean from an effectiveness perspective. It makes total sense. I was just hoping for, I don't know, like his domain is a wedding chapel and all the powers are gifts brought by phantom wedding guests or something.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

i think this is pretty true but i think it also actually contributes to the positive response. a lot of the domain expansions are either visually impressive but don't have a lot going on imo, or are just "here's the fight's gimmick," or they're hakari's DE and they're perfect and beautiful and good. yuta's DE shifts the fight into a different phase like pretty much all expansions have, but it also sets easily understandable stakes for the fight (each katana has a technique, each breaks after one use, the ability to grab the right one at the right time is key, there might be a part where yuta creating distance to grab the right sword matters) and leaves easy, properly set-up space for surprising reversals (no indication as to which technique is in which sword), and instead of fighting in abstract empty space or somewhere totally new the level just shifted to final destination. it sets things up cleanly for a nice straightforward slobberknocker in a way i think people want.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 9, 2024

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
he cut sukuna with he own technique

*claps hands*

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Catching up from November or so and I wish I would have counted how many times Nobara was posted about

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

It's not unique it's just cool and good

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

The Notorious ZSB posted:

what stairmaster said

there is a reason dragonball is a gold standard for shounen storytelling

No one is as good as depicting the flow of movement during a fight as Toriyama and it's possible no one ever will be

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

RC Cola posted:

Catching up from November or so and I wish I would have counted how many times Nobara was posted about

Thanks for reminding me

Where is Nobara

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Extremely funny if Yuta picks up a sword and it’s Ui Uis teleport and he just ends up in another country by accident

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Extremely funny if Yuta picks up a sword and it’s Ui Uis teleport and he just ends up in another country by accident

this aspect actually confused the hell out of me until the end of the chapter, but after the cleave sequence it seems clear yuta knows what ability a sword carries by touching it rather than using it

the alternative would definitely make for an entertaining fight tho

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
took me a second ready to realize how exactly they're cheating lol. charles's cursed tech will forever be confusing to me

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TheHan posted:

took me a second ready to realize how exactly they're cheating lol. charles's cursed tech will forever be confusing to me

They also heavily weakened him before hand too.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

TheHan posted:

Charles' technique basically creates a tiny window that allows a view into the future; he has to first wound his opponent. The amount of time he can perceive increases the more he can damage the target. In Yuta's case it would be how many times he can land the appropriate katana strike.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

stuker posted:

this aspect actually confused the hell out of me until the end of the chapter, but after the cleave sequence it seems clear yuta knows what ability a sword carries by touching it rather than using it

the alternative would definitely make for an entertaining fight tho

it's explicitly stated that yuta knows what ability a sword has once he touches it

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

yes, i took a vague rather than literal read of the explanation of the domain at the start of the chapter which is why i got confused. the chapter did a great job of clearing that up before it ended

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I think we’re about to finally get an explanation of “open.” This domain is the perfect vehicle to get it explained.

If it’s a normal technique, Yuta can use it. If it’s some wild weird exception (which it probably is) then we’ll find out why soon.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Yuta desperately throwing away katanas because he keeps getting poor gacha rolls and getting the Mei Mei technique in a realm where crows don't exist

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

TheHan posted:

I don't think that's what was referenced at all, given Sukuna was specifically asking what they were up to the past few months.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
yeah it's probably tied into the weird soul switching thing people were assuming was happening

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Blockhouse posted:

No one is as good as depicting the flow of movement during a fight as Toriyama and it's possible no one ever will be

Yusuke Murata frankly clowns on him, in no small part due to his background as an animator

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Spuckuk posted:

Yusuke Murata frankly clowns on him, in no small part due to his background as an animator

Hard disagree but the JJK thread probably isn't the place for this debate

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

It absolutely is

Elijah Snow
Dec 10, 2006

some-something man
Ajin has the best action storyboard
:goonsay:

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Yuta's domain owns and i really hope that when Sukuna inevitably finds some loophole through it that it isn't just "I had some bullshit in my backpocket that completely nullifies the whole thing" and it's a clever way to turn the domain back at Yuta. I do really like this fight but I have just this feeling in the back of my head that Sukuna will find some way to absolutely no-sell. The most interesting thing going on right now happens to be with Yuji whose needed some much needed screen time because it's the one thing Sukuna seems to be consistently concerned with everytime Yuji has a blow. Seems like he hasn't fully come up with a plan on how to deal with that yet especially when the technique is as simple as "If he lands punches on me my entire soul shakes" and those are just the blocked punches!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Well we know Sukuna has something else in his toolbox that he hasn’t used.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Yuta gets very unlucky and draws Hollow Purple and blows up his body trying to use it.

Or maybe Sukuna can use the swords too and gets better rolls.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Ghosthotel posted:

Yuta's domain owns and i really hope that when Sukuna inevitably finds some loophole through it that it isn't just "I had some bullshit in my backpocket that completely nullifies the whole thing" and it's a clever way to turn the domain back at Yuta. I do really like this fight but I have just this feeling in the back of my head that Sukuna will find some way to absolutely no-sell. The most interesting thing going on right now happens to be with Yuji whose needed some much needed screen time because it's the one thing Sukuna seems to be consistently concerned with everytime Yuji has a blow. Seems like he hasn't fully come up with a plan on how to deal with that yet especially when the technique is as simple as "If he lands punches on me my entire soul shakes" and those are just the blocked punches!

It'd of course be better if it was something clever, but as with the executioner's sword sputtering out on account of Higuruma being loving dead, I wouldn't be too broken up over Sukuna simply blasting the domain apart or such if it means moving onto the next gambit.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

He's relatively new but I'm constantly impressed by Yuto Suzuki of Sakamoto Days fight choreography and sense of motion and use of the environment. At least for a weekly I reckon he's the best in the game atm at that part of things.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
my guess as to the "cheating" line: they met up with and used that sumo guy's ability for a pseudo-hyperbolic time chamber. this would give them "way more time" than the 1 month. sukuna has made repeated mention about how much they've improved over that period, so their training actually being longer than a month could explain it. also they brought fuckin charles back, so it seems like All of the culling game participants have potential for some importance in this last bit.

it'd also make yuji's line coherent too. they still put in the work, they just cheated to have way longer to actually train for

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well we know Sukuna has something else in his toolbox that he hasn’t used.

Does he at this point? As far as the myth goes we have covered his two swords and the fire and electric abilities. Granted he still has yet to [OPEN] this fight and that's a card I don't think anyone save Jogo knows exists. But beyond that he's in his fully incarnated body and deprived of his domain and the lighting cursed tool.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

tbp posted:

my guess as to the "cheating" line: they met up with and used that sumo guy's ability for a pseudo-hyperbolic time chamber. this would give them "way more time" than the 1 month. sukuna has made repeated mention about how much they've improved over that period, so their training actually being longer than a month could explain it. also they brought fuckin charles back, so it seems like All of the culling game participants have potential for some importance in this last bit.

it'd also make yuji's line coherent too. they still put in the work, they just cheated to have way longer to actually train for

I forgot about the sumo guy lmao that guy rules. All of the one-off characters with insanely weird and specific powers are so good. I hope you are right

Also I don't know if its been mentioned in this here but a lot of people have started to notice that when Yuji uses RCT he bites his hand. Take that for what you will

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

It could also be related to the weird panel where Kusakabe and yuji were body swapped as well. I hope we do get explanations for this stuff. Its a little too opaque right now even by JJK standards.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Does he at this point? As far as the myth goes we have covered his two swords and the fire and electric abilities. Granted he still has yet to [OPEN] this fight and that's a card I don't think anyone save Jogo knows exists. But beyond that he's in his fully incarnated body and deprived of his domain and the lighting cursed tool.

Kusakabe witnessed it. He said there is no real point in worrying about it, cause if Sukuna does use it they can't deal with it as it was powerful enough to defeat Jogo.

Yuji also has his full memories of the battle Sukuna did.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 11, 2024

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

That's it precisely; we've already gone through what could be inspired from Sukuna's depiction in the Nihon Shoki, but within the framework of the setting, plus the author obfuscating what it is exactly Sukuna did to draw out his Fire Arrow, we the audience can infer there's some as-of-yet unexplained mechanism that serves as the foundation for his other abilities. And by extension that Gege will play that card for a reversal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013
I thought the narration mentioned Sumo Guy's domain takes away all cursed energy so you can do nothing but sumo in there? Pretty hard to practice techniques in there no?

Maybe they hosed around with prison realm? Gojo said time doesn't pass (normally) in there.

E: looked up the chapter again and the narration states "Miyo's domain exists solely for the sake of sumo. It is a barrier where everything else is cut away". That's pretty vague but I would interpret that in a way that means "no techniques or energy in here".