Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1756135894220706076?s=20%5C

Well then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I was hoping this would happen. I was excited he was gonna be in Hollywood but that didn’t work out

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I also don't buy for a second that this is the absolute final Tarantino movie. So many directors have said they are retiring and then gone back to work after a couple of years.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Tarantino said he would show up at a screening of true romance and then didn’t

Probably went home to regard some feet pics

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

FlamingLiberal posted:

I also don't buy for a second that this is the absolute final Tarantino movie. So many directors have said they are retiring and then gone back to work after a couple of years.

I believe it.

He's gonna do tv shows and books next. Probably never a movie again.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I'd have really like to have seen a sci-fi movie from him, even though the Star Trek deal did fall through.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

i just realised there's a new pt anderson movie being shot, with dicaprio. incredible :yum:

toggle fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Feb 10, 2024

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I'd have really like to have seen a sci-fi movie from him, even though the Star Trek deal did fall through.

I get the feeling that sci-fi is a big ask for a director not used to it. Star Trek at least comes with its own premade aesthetic, designs and style guides to work from, as well as all its own tone, context and such. There's a reason so much sci-fi blatantly rips off something or other, because coming up with something seemingly original from scratch is a big ask, especially when you need everything for a movie.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Iirc The Movie Critics protagonist is based on someone in their early/mid 30’s who died in their late 30’s, so Cruise doesn’t seem like the best choice imo

Watching TG: Mav, he’s such a good actor despite his reputation and such

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/...s-interviews%2F

What a press tour.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I mean once again she's right but doing this all as part of the press tour for a loving spider man (without spider man) movie is probably not going to be a great long-term career move.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Maybe she thought if she tried to earnestly praise this movie and it came out and everyone saw she couldn't act her career would go like Courtney Thorne-Smith so instead she took the tactic of getting ahead of it by making it the directors fault and the exploitative rubbish put out by Sony which again fair but you were the one who auditioned and accepted a role in Madame Web.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
i made a madame web thread for all the hot of the presses madame web information for us superfans!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4054034

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

I mean once again she's right but doing this all as part of the press tour for a loving spider man (without spider man) movie is probably not going to be a great long-term career move.

She's done this enough that if she was getting any real pushback from studios/her agency she would have stopped by now. Also she has enough connections that she'll never truly ruin her career.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A figure emerging from the shadows to offer her a job and it’s Ellen

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
She's priming the Morb-pumps.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
This Coyote vs Acme thing is fascinating. There’s no way it’s not some personal beef someplace. Is it just Zaslov putting Gunn in his place by canning a movie he co-wrote that stars his consistent collaborator Cena? Did the director or one of the producers gently caress his wife, or not gently caress his wife?

We’re in a world where loving Lisa Frankenstein got a theatrical release (that I went to btw) Ibecause theaters are DYING for first-run content! It’s nuts.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Her own remarks wouldn't sink nor save the movie to any significant degree beyond its own merits anyway, and everyone knows this.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Baron von Eevl posted:

Last thing then I'll move to the real thread: while this has been a disastrous press tour for the movie, it's kind of been a fantastic press tour for the ongoing project of "Dakota Johnson: Online Chaos Agent".

A future where actors take the AC/DC approach to movies (mediocre movie is just an excuse for the legacy-maintenance press tour) is both frightening and fascinating.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Remulak posted:

This Coyote vs Acme thing is fascinating. There’s no way it’s not some personal beef someplace. Is it just Zaslov putting Gunn in his place by canning a movie he co-wrote that stars his consistent collaborator Cena? Did the director or one of the producers gently caress his wife, or not gently caress his wife?

The guy has publicly stated he hates scripted content. If he had his way there would be nothing but reality shows. He probably saw that an animated movie would probably be a huge success and he can't allow that to happen.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 11, 2024

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Oh also the interview she did where she talked about how she was on the office and it sucked, all the cast were assholes to her was great. Both because I very much believe the stars of the office were weird factional assholes but also I wouldn't loving want to chitchat with Dakota Johnson either.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The guy has publicly stated he hates scripted content. If he had his way there would be nothing but reality shows. He probably saw that an animated movie would probably be a huge success and he can't allow that to happen.
Let’s take the Honey Boo Boo/Sons of Guns/Duggars guy and put him in charge of all our products.

Every one of those shows had major child molestation controversies. Discovery doesn’t just dumb down what’s supposed to be educational content, they also love hiring pedos.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Let’s take the Honey Boo Boo/Sons of Guns/Duggars guy and put him in charge of all our products.

Every one of those shows had major child molestation controversies. Discovery doesn’t just dumb down what’s supposed to be educational content, they also love hiring pedos.

I think its more because only absolute garbage human beings would demean themselves and their family on reality television for fame and money.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I think its more because only absolute garbage human beings would demean themselves and their family on reality television for fame and money.

Hey now, some people are willing to debase themselves for free.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I know some people who are reality tv zombies. It’s so weird.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Competition reality TV is okay because there's at least an end goal. The ones where they just follow around rich people is gross human zoo poo poo.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

IShallRiseAgain posted:

He probably saw that an animated movie would probably be a huge success and he can't allow that to happen.

Alright look I think Coyote vs Acme should be released because everyone’s work should be seen and gently caress Zaslav and all that but let’s be real: nobody would care about it if it wasn’t for this. Looney Tunes haven’t been a box office draw in decades. Zaslav wants to can this movie because it was approved and funded under a previous WB administration, he doesn’t think it would do well in theaters, and it’s an instant payout in the form of a tax credit for a movie he didn’t even drop the money on to make.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Oh also the interview she did where she talked about how she was on the office and it sucked, all the cast were assholes to her was great. Both because I very much believe the stars of the office were weird factional assholes but also I wouldn't loving want to chitchat with Dakota Johnson either.

Okay you’re the guy who was also being mega loving weird about Dakota Johnson in GenChat too, right? Do you want to explain why exactly you hate her so much or is it literally just because of poo poo her dad did?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Pirate Jet posted:

Alright look I think Coyote vs Acme should be released because everyone’s work should be seen and gently caress Zaslav and all that but let’s be real: nobody would care about it if it wasn’t for this. Looney Tunes haven’t been a box office draw in decades. Zaslav wants to can this movie because it was approved and funded under a previous WB administration, he doesn’t think it would do well in theaters, and it’s an instant payout in the form of a tax credit for a movie he didn’t even drop the money on to make.

Okay you’re the guy who was also being mega loving weird about Dakota Johnson in GenChat too, right? Do you want to explain why exactly you hate her so much or is it literally just because of poo poo her dad did?

I wasn't being weird about her? I don't really hate her, I just only liked her in one movie and I think this press tour thing is funny but probably not a great idea.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

weird movies no one wanted sometimes kick a whole lotta rear end. To say I wouldn’t care is a bit too much. I didn’t know it existed but I would’ve been interested knowing that Gunn co-wrote it and it starred John Cena

The movie never had a chance to exist.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Baron von Eevl posted:

I wasn't being weird about her? I don't really hate her, I just only liked her in one movie and I think this press tour thing is funny but probably not a great idea.

Actors making GBS threads on the bad movies they’re in is usually funny so I support her doing this. Robert Pattinson constantly insulted Twilight and its fans and look where he is now!

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

weird movies no one wanted sometimes kick a whole lotta rear end. To say I wouldn’t care is a bit too much. I didn’t know it existed but I would’ve been interested knowing that Gunn co-wrote it and it starred John Cena

The movie never had a chance to exist.

Okay to be clear, I don’t think that’s true of anyone who posts on this forum. I’m saying you can’t assume it would be a “big success” when every theatrically-released Looney Tunes film since Space Jam 1 came out thirty years ago has flopped. Zaslav isn’t the danged Joker, he doesn’t cause misery just for kicks, he’s doing it because it’s an easy way to shore up debt and the people who could object to it either don’t have a say or aren’t at the company anymore.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Usually they wait until their obligation to talk the movie up is over first. Maybe the higher ups know they have a real stinker on their hands and hope having the star talk smack about it will put some butts in seats.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Pirate Jet posted:

Okay to be clear, I don’t think that’s true of anyone who posts on this forum. I’m saying you can’t assume it would be a “big success” when every theatrically-released Looney Tunes film since Space Jam 1 came out thirty years ago has flopped. Zaslav isn’t the danged Joker, he doesn’t cause misery just for kicks, he’s doing it because it’s an easy way to shore up debt and the people who could object to it either don’t have a say or aren’t at the company anymore.

I could be wrong but I have never seen anything like this ever. It is pretty evil and deranged. I wouldn’t say joker because unlike the joker this all about money.

But this isn’t some weird film that went horrifically over budget with a thousand issues. It’s just a film that may or may not make a billion dollars at the box office.

Same with Batgirl. It’s hosed up. It’s bad. And I care very much even if the film wasn’t any good

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Letting companies destroy movies they already made for tax write offs is stupid and hosed up. It’s a loophole that should be closed.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's also a practice that's going to make anyone reluctant to work with them in the future, especially when their contact includes points.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I dont think anyone should defend it in anyway. There's no true logic too it. Movies have been deemed failures, and potential flops and they were at least dumped somewhere. Maybe in a bad month for movies, maybe direct to video, or on some streaming service.

but never straight up deleted, buried and destroyed. What an insane waste of everyone's time.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

OTOH historically there have been a ton of cancelled TV shows with episodes that were just deleted. Less now than there used to be.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh yeah. That is true. Also hosed up. Kinda makes sense that Ol Zazzzy is doing this with movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

CelticPredator posted:

I dont think anyone should defend it in anyway. There's no true logic too it. Movies have been deemed failures, and potential flops and they were at least dumped somewhere. Maybe in a bad month for movies, maybe direct to video, or on some streaming service.

but never straight up deleted, buried and destroyed. What an insane waste of everyone's time.

From a financial aspect of it, those movies could be dumped with little marketing and expected to make some money back on dvd rentals/sales and streaming rights. Now stores are abandoning physical media and the streaming bubble has popped so box office is really the only revenue stream to rely on anymore.

I'd say that maybe there's opportunity to start scaling back the size of their movies but, gently caress, even A24 is now saying they're going to start making more licensed and big ticket movies.