Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE
Live action lion king, pepsi halftime show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

kyojin posted:

20,003 years of this, 4 more to go :smith:

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Did windshields really used to get covered in bugs while driving?

Yes, usually youd have the front of your car entirely covered in dead bugs after a long drive on the highway. Because we're constitutively evil, apathetic, and wasteful creatures most people took little note of it at the time other than bemoaning the inconvenience.

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Yes but scientists studied Bruce Lee extensively and sometime in the 1990s all cars were redesigned to effortlessly parry and redirect the bugs away from them like leaves floating in a river.

Also please ignore any studies that looked at quantity of bugs and found massive drops or the aerodynamics of cars that show they would hit more bugs than older ones. None of that matters. Modern cars mean modern solutions so the bugs are totally there they are just harmlessly pushed aside through engineering.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Driving behind an F-250 harmlessly deflecting a million bugs into the windshield of my aerodynamically inferior Fiesta.

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.

some places, like if you were driving on a road going through a swamp, it would sound like rain on the windshield

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

My family did a lot of road trips in the 80s and 90s and we would regularly have to pull over and clean the windshield at gas stations because the visibility was so bad.

That is the entire reason those window squeegee things were at every gas station and now they just sit around mostly unused. I think I hit a bug a couple months ago and had to stop and use one.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

blatman posted:

every summer i patiently wait in my living room until i hear the noble warble of the pigeon, i carefully slide open the patio door, pick up the pigeon and place it with the rest in my bedroom. 3 more birds and i will reach 10,000 and my work will be complete.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

are they going to eat all of this fish?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

kyojin posted:

Apple Music sponsored this one

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE
Live action little mermaid,

Stereotype posted:

Apple Music

halftime show

sebzilla posted:

20,003 years of this, 4 more to go :smith:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Paradoxish posted:

We didn't bother taking any of our handful of ski trips this year because it was so depressing last year. We're extremely casual about the sport and skiing is honestly more of a winter vibes thing for us, and driving through several states of mud to reach an island of snow surrounded by damp trees is just... not right. There's a pretty good chance we'll just give it up altogether if it's like this for a few more years. No sense in having a bunch of expensive equipment taking up space anymore.

yea that makes sense

this is all real snow, I took this last week despite the generally poo poo winter we're having.

I expect this place to stay skiiable to some extent for some number of years, and, I will ski it into the loving ground. It's sorta sad to comtemplate, but, cmon it's opulent poo poo anyway and by the time it's dead we're gonna be dealing with significant, real problems that we're not dealing with yet.

Still, every time I get up to this view, I am simultaneously filled with wonder, dread, sorrow and joy.

I'm glad my kids are learning to ski, they might be the last generation that does, unless we end up in some kind of ice age with 50,000 humans spread out globally and someone rediscovers Stick On Foot In Snow technology when they unearth an Eddie Bauer catalog.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

same energy

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

if this thread isn't collectively listening to Mindful Solutionism off the new Aesop Rock album ya should be

quote:

You take a lever and a pulley and a winch and a wedge
You get a labyrinth of aqueducts and pyramid steps
Before the Jesus, Archimedes on that miracle tech
Year zero, you could feel the future rearing its head

Put a shoe on a horse, shoot a man with a gun
Steam power, bifocals and mechanical funk
Manipulate electricity, no, it can not be done
Yes it can, ain't a dam that could cancel the flood

True to human curiosity, at the tree of knowledge
Pulling genies out of bottles, stealing from Leonardo's
Plane train auto, hauling space age cargo
Bizarro technology, every day is tomorrow

Telegraph, telephone, you could flirt with Doris
In Poughkeepsie from a cozy geodesic dome in Sydney
You can write a letter with no paper
You could fix anything with a laser

If it's out of the bag, then it's out of bag
Now that is a powerful cat

You could get a robot limb for your blown off limb
Later on, the same technology could automate your gig
As awesome as it is

Wait it gets awful, you could split a atom willy-nilly
If it's energy that can be used for killing then it will be
It's not about a better knife, it's chemistry and genocide
And medicine for tempering the heck in the projector light
Landmines, Agent Orange, leaded gas, cigarettes
Cameras in your favorite corners, plastic in the wilderness
We cannot be trusted with the stuff that we come up with
The machinery could eat us, we just really just love our buttons

Um, technology, focus on the other poo poo
3D-printed body parts, dehydrated onion dip
You could buy a jet-ski from a cell phone on a jumbo jet
T-E-C-H-N-O-L-O-G-Y, it's the ultimate

Climate, geography
Medical research, automated teaching
Distribution, better health
Unknown vectors

Also the new New Model Army album is doomer as ever

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Rectal Death Alert posted:

Yes but scientists studied Bruce Lee extensively and sometime in the 1990s all cars were redesigned to effortlessly parry and redirect the bugs away from them like leaves floating in a river.

Also please ignore any studies that looked at quantity of bugs and found massive drops or the aerodynamics of cars that show they would hit more bugs than older ones. None of that matters. Modern cars mean modern solutions so the bugs are totally there they are just harmlessly pushed aside through engineering.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Rectal Death Alert posted:

My family did a lot of road trips in the 80s and 90s and we would regularly have to pull over and clean the windshield at gas stations because the visibility was so bad.

That is the entire reason those window squeegee things were at every gas station and now they just sit around mostly unused. I think I hit a bug a couple months ago and had to stop and use one.

that and intense storms when it was cold enough and your car was lovely enough you could end up partly freezing over but not so much that you had to fully get out the scraper. they might still be around in the north for a little while still

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

oh god

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
You Will Eat The Bugs--

oh

oh

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Hubbert posted:

You Will Eat The Bugs--

oh

oh

don't worry, the vertebrates will catch up soon enough

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
You'll wish you were eating bugs lol

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Thankfully the European ski industry will thrive

shame about not having anything to eat while they're skiiing though

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

We used to drive from Memphis to Minneapolis every summer to see family and my mom would pull off to get gas and it was a job for us kids to clean the windshield at every stop. It was very gross.

I can't remember the last time I washed my windshield now. Maybe driving along the Olympic peninsula.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

you had to use a ton more wiper fluid too because the guts would just smear across the windshield

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

MightyBigMinus posted:

you had to use a ton more wiper fluid too because the guts would just smear across the windshield

Good luck getting the front grill cleaned

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Thankfully the European ski industry will thrive

shame about not having anything to eat while they're skiiing though

it'll just become like the ending of SkiFree except the yetis are your fellow Premium Consumers

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

bedpan posted:

are they going to eat all of this fish?

no they only eat pizza

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Hubbert posted:

You Will Eat The Bugs--

oh

oh

thanks

I hate this more than I hate bugs

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Hubbert posted:

You Will Eat The Bugs--

oh

oh

Lmao owns

Also it's still wild to me that "we're going to have to switch to eating insects" is presented as more likely than "we're going to have to become vegetarian/vegan"

I know that the reality is that we're going to have to become malnourished though

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

the lucky ones will be eating insects

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
it is easier to imagine food disappearing than the end of eating meat

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Lmao owns

Also it's still wild to me that "we're going to have to switch to eating insects" is presented as more likely than "we're going to have to become vegetarian/vegan"

I know that the reality is that we're going to have to become malnourished though

It's incredible how capitalism has broken peoples brains in such a way that they really believe its all or nothing.

well it didnt have to be this way anyway. famines gonna take a lot of people off this earth now though

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

TeenageArchipelago posted:

this is a very intentional media frenzy and messaging by mega-corpo beef and o&g industries fyi

maybe echoed by some dumb dnd-type libs who are true believers but mostly messaging by corp interests

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
imagine how much beef would cost if it wasnt subsidized + there was a federal carbon tax

err has issued a correction as of 23:07 on Feb 12, 2024

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

it used to be fairly common to see these things on trucks. you put this plastic deflector thing on the front of your hood and it was supposed to keep bugs from smashing on your hood/windshield. you can still get them but i can't remember the last time i saw someone using them

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
rich people are gonna be all about eating bugs when they learn that they’re all critically endangered.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

err posted:

imagine how much beef would cost if it wasnt subsidized + there was a federal carbon tax

beef should cost $100 a lb, and be something you eat once a year on your birthday

rest of the year it's bugs.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

smoobles posted:

beef should cost $100 a lb, and be something you eat once a year on your birthday

Go shorty its your birthday
we're going to eat bugs like its your birthday

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

We're gonna brute force ski resorts with artificial snow for years to come. Cost be damned, it's just like golf courses. Think the rich are gonna be bored in hell world? Luxury sports and meats will be just fine. You won't but I accept this

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzLe0Zk31_U

So I guess they finally figured out why bugs are attracted to lights (it's one of the bug hells)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

smoobles posted:

way head of you