Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

FlamingLiberal posted:

Is the TVA the main villain in this? It’s kind of unclear if it’s just them.

The rumor/leak from the end of last year is:

The TVA is recruiting/kidnapping an army of "prime" versions - the best version out of all their multiverse variants - of every hero from different universes to fight Kang. Deadpool's time travel at the end of Deadpool 2 puts him on their radar. They take him prisoner and try to convince him to join the army. All the prime heroes get dumped on a "Battle World" from Secret Wars where all the various prime hero variants are fighting on a dead planet that just exists as a battleground.

Deadpool learns ~*something*~ about the plans for the multiversal army that makes him reconsider, which leads to him trying to escape and get this version of Wolverine to leave with him. His attempts to recruit other prime heroes to bail results in the TVA ordering the other prime heroes to try and stop Deadpool, Wolverine, and their squad from escaping the battle world/ruining the plan to prevent them from triggering some sort of mysterious consequences.

The official synopsis from Marvel is just one sentence:

quote:

Deadpool will change the history of the Marvel Cinematic Universe with Wolverine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
If they just made Deadpool kills the MCU and rebooted literally everything anew, I would actually respect it.

Zoobtro
Aug 22, 2003

Got miself a nice little earner, isn't it

FlamingLiberal posted:

Is the TVA the main villain in this? It’s kind of unclear if it’s just them.

potentially huge spoiler? cassandra nova is the rumoured main villain

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Someplace pointed out that when he's flat on his back in the desert, there's a copy of Secret Wars #5 lying on the ground next to him. So make of that whatever you will.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
It'd be funny if they Wanda'd the TVA.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Is it me or do Wolverine's claws look more comic like than the ones in the xmen movies?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

twistedmentat posted:

Is it me or do Wolverine's claws look more comic like than the ones in the xmen movies?

Is there a shot of them beyond that one of the shadow?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Soul Glo posted:

Is there a shot of them beyond that one of the shadow?

Just in that shot, they look way longer and skinnier, and more importantly, look like they come out of the back of his hands.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Look, I KNOW it's not going to happen, but if Dan Stevens rocks up as David Haller as a bad/good/legiony guy and Legion gets brought into the MCU I will scream a happy scream.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

The movie should have a scene where they show clips of literally every single Marvel-adjacent film, including the 80s captain America films, the Roger Corman Fantastic Four, and that terrible "Mutant X" TV show while someone at the TVA explicitly says they are all canon.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Gangringo posted:

The movie should have a scene where they show clips of literally every single Marvel-adjacent film, including the 80s captain America films, the Roger Corman Fantastic Four, and that terrible "Mutant X" TV show while someone at the TVA explicitly says they are all canon.

One of the screens in the trailer shows Ryan Reynolds accepting an Emmy as Deadpool from last month. So, reality is now canon.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

a scene set in the Reb Browniverse where Wade steals Cap's motorcycle while calling him Blast Hardcheese, etc

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Just finished The Marvels. It’s fun, the cast is delightful, and it has no plot or arc. Two out of three ain’t bad. Probably will watch again. Everything inside the SABER satellite looks like a Power Rangers set. That fucker was Helicarrier quality at all.

Now, for my (probably wildly wrong) critical reading of the themes and symbols of the movie. They are, of course, leaning on the tripartite goddess trope. Monica’s explanation of how they all have a different expression of the same light based power set and the entanglement sci-if woo is not a bad analogy for the concept. Kamala is the spring (life) goddess (the vegetative “Wild!” T-shirt she wears on the singing planet is kind of a red flag) and Monica is in the Death goddess position, taking a hint from her black and white costume, ghost like powers, and backstory concerning a dead mother. Carol, is of course, the Great or regenerative goddess. It’s her movie, only fair. Spoiler for the post credits When Monica passes into the ‘underworld’ of the other universe, she encounters a version of her mother on the other side. That reminds me of the Demeter-Persephone/Double Goddess motif. I wonder if they’ll get violently separated in their next appearance, together

Edit: how could I forget: Valkyrie is literally a death goddess and psychopomp, an evolution of Neolithic vulture and owl goddess. Not unlike the Etruscans Vanth or the Greek Keres. I know too much about mythological bird women.

Dar-Benn is a pretty interesting. An inversion of the Mother Goddess, killing other planets to restore her own. Literally stealing the sacred triangle of air, fire, and water. I wonder if her costume being a washed out green is intentional. During her public speech on Hala, there is an establishing shot that shows a triangle within a giant circle on a wall behind her. That was a choice. She even has a proper mortal consort in the form of her scientist-maybe-boyfriend, Ty-Rone. He’s still out there, btw, and like the one competent henchman ever. Normally, the goddess renews her dead consort, the vegetative or barley king, every year. So, again, Ty-Rone bringing her back to life would be an inversion of the normal trope.

The singing world was just fun, but I find it significant the Prince’s crown and battle suit are eagle themed.

Beyond that, they kind of dropped all that in the third act and really hammered the sci-if aspect of the entanglement. Of course, I could be doing a completely wrong interpretation of what I am watching, though the abruptness of the shift could be a Covid rewrite/reshoot complication or a studio exec not trusting the audience to ‘get it’.

All of that is opinion and mostly a fun exercise.

Also, I guess the Earth solar system has an abandoned Kree warship orbiting the sun, now?

Marsupial Ape fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Feb 13, 2024

Jai Guru Dave
Jan 3, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 14 days!)

So, either the Supreme Intelligence was the only thing keeping the air and sun and water going on Hala, and Vers never picked up on that while she was a Kree soldier,

Or after Carol destroyed the Supreme Intelligence, the Kree civil warred so hard it didn’t just gently caress their planet, but their sun as well. Okay, maybe before Dar-Benn, Ronan’s hammer was wielded by Gill-Igan and he oopsied a blast of the remaining Power Stone energy into Hala’s star.

I just had a real hard time getting to where Hala’s craptification was all Carol’s fault.

Huge wasted comedy potential on the water planet, I was looking forward to Kamala trying to improvise songs on the fly like Bob Hoskins in Roger Rabbit.

On the other hand, the cat sequence was as hard as I’ve laughed in a long time, so thumbs up. Reminded me of “Don’t run! We are your friends!” from Mars Attacks.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Goddamit, I just realized that Wanda and Dar-Benn both have the same basic motivations and strategy. Their worlds have been destroyed from without, their grief has made them deranged, and now they are going to pick apart other worlds to make their own whole, again.

That’s kinda lazy, honestly…or is that what Disney thinks motivates woman villains? Hmm.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
I didn’t hate The Marvels or anything, and paid pretty good attention the entire time and know the plot and scenes of the movie, and I legitimately didn’t remember the villain having a name so reading “Dar-Benn” had me confused. I don’t really remember the villain doing anything of consequence at all, actually. I only remember the scenes with our heroes having fun.

Marvel if you’re reading this, that means put more fun in your material. Let DC have the brooding villains. The reason GotG 3 worked isn’t just because animals are cute, or we care about Rocket being traumatized how he was, it’s because the villain was a goofball over the top insane character, and it was fun.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Jai Guru Dave posted:

So, either the Supreme Intelligence was the only thing keeping the air and sun and water going on Hala, and Vers never picked up on that while she was a Kree soldier,

Or after Carol destroyed the Supreme Intelligence, the Kree civil warred so hard it didn’t just gently caress their planet, but their sun as well. Okay, maybe before Dar-Benn, Ronan’s hammer was wielded by Gill-Igan and he oopsied a blast of the remaining Power Stone energy into Hala’s star.

I just had a real hard time getting to where Hala’s craptification was all Carol’s fault.

Huge wasted comedy potential on the water planet, I was looking forward to Kamala trying to improvise songs on the fly like Bob Hoskins in Roger Rabbit.

On the other hand, the cat sequence was as hard as I’ve laughed in a long time, so thumbs up. Reminded me of “Don’t run! We are your friends!” from Mars Attacks.

Yea, the Kree warred with each other for 30 years so much they completely destroyed the entire systems ecosystem. And being Imperialists, they simply saw the only solution is to take other people poo poo. The Supreme Intelligence controlled every aspect of the Kree Empire, and it was programmed to only expand and consume, so there was no end game that didn't lead to ruin. Carols sin was destroying the SI and then loving off, rather than trying to build something out of it. She should of corraled the kree leadership and forced some kind of functional society that wasn't based around conquest and colonialism. People miss that the Kree is America in Captain Marvel, they subjugate other places, take their resources and when the people who live there fight back, they're called terrorists and are destroyed in a way that they have no way in defending themselves. And those who do it, are seen as heroes!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I already said the Kree were never cool!

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

The MCU has had a villain problem since since basically phase 2, and Dar-Benn is probably the worst villain that any of the films have had, because she's nothing. Christian Bale in Thor 4 at least had a bit of pathos behind him. (I do not remember what Christopher Eccleston did in Thor 2 at all so he takes the number 2 spot for worst MCU villain)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I already said the Kree were never cool!

I do like their comic outfits that make them look like 1950s spacemen.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
We need Dr. Doom and we need him now.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Sockser posted:

The MCU has had a villain problem since since basically phase 2, and Dar-Benn is probably the worst villain that any of the films have had, because she's nothing. Christian Bale in Thor 4 at least had a bit of pathos behind him. (I do not remember what Christopher Eccleston did in Thor 2 at all so he takes the number 2 spot for worst MCU villain)

I don’t even remember Eccleston was in that lol

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Doom is a poo poo villain there I said it.

Thanos was great Loki had good moments but aside from that oof. Even Wanda, a really interesting character who was able to actually carry an entire TV show without it being poo poo, became lovely when she had to become a villain and thus be stupid enough to be stopped.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

If they did VON DOOM properly, he'd be a compelling villain. Like, Thanos was just an eco-fascist for reasons (unclear what reasons), VON DOOM is a guy who is so petty, vain and stupid while also being brilliant the he blames Reed for screwing up his face, which he himself makes worse due to his ambitions. And he absolutely would chew any scenery you put him in, just get someone who realizes to lean into the cheesiness. It would be delightful.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Doom has to have his comics origin where he burns his face trying to make a telephone that he can use to call his mother in hell or no deal.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Finally, we'd have Mephisto? :ohdear:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Also acceptable: Just make Doom a live-action version of The Monarch from The Venture Brothers.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

It really is great, because VON DOOM actually knows literal magic, he's also a super scientist, and he's a monarch. There's just so much there to make him as campy as possible. poo poo, get Bruce Campbell to play him, I'd watch that.

Although I suppose there is the representation angle to consider, and you might want someone who actually is romani.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Just say Sovokia was known as Latveria before the Soviet Union or whatever. Hell, say Sovokia was Latveria before the Romans.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

Rappaport posted:

If they did VON DOOM properly, he'd be a compelling villain. Like, Thanos was just an eco-fascist for reasons (unclear what reasons), VON DOOM is a guy who is so petty, vain and stupid while also being brilliant the he blames Reed for screwing up his face, which he himself makes worse due to his ambitions. And he absolutely would chew any scenery you put him in, just get someone who realizes to lean into the cheesiness. It would be delightful.

God drat it! Nick Cage is the perfect Doom, why has it always been so obvious yet I've never seen it.

I am being fully serious also, he would loving crush it.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Actually, I'd argue that MCU's villain problem has gotten a lot of better. They've done a lot better post-Endgame, with characters like Wenwu, Agatha, Namor, Mysterio, Green Goblin, etc. Dar-Benn's more of an exception.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I loved the Lovecraft movie Nick Cage did some time ago, he just leaned into the crazy and it fit the film because everything was nuts. It could work, a full chaos elemental VON DOOM. He takes himself way too seriously, but Cage would make him seem so unhinged.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Actually I would have liked the guy who played the High Evolutionary as a great Doom, perfect insane Shakespearean confidence. I feel like that guy just NAILED that character and he could have made DOOM pop.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
When the X-Men are finally re-integrated into the MCU we can have the greatest of Marvel villains: anti-mutant bigots. What would the anti-mutant version of the Proud Boys be? yes, I know that it would just be the Proud Boys

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Marsupial Ape posted:

When the X-Men are finally re-integrated into the MCU we can have the greatest of Marvel villains: anti-mutant bigots. What would the anti-mutant version of the Proud Boys be? yes, I know that it would just be the Proud Boys
Edit: Guess who browses in dark mode and missed the spoiler tag.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The Purifiers are such assholes, giving them current Right Wing talking points wouldn't be too hard. Literally just switch out trans with mutant and away you go.

Watching Wolverine stab the poo poo out of them.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Mutants being a stand in for oppressed groups was always one of my least favorite parts of comics.

If a dude can have a nightmare and accidentally wipe out the whole block with some kind of magic shockwave, then yeah, I think not wanting that person living in your neighborhood is actually completely reasonable. And then they doubled down on the worst parts of mutants with inhumans. Saying that a ticking timebomb next door is the same as having a black person as a neighbor isn't the best way to send that message.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

They made a movie about that exact line of thinking, Peter Dinklage was the architect of your ideas made manifest.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Rappaport posted:

They made a movie about that exact line of thinking, Peter Dinklage was the architect of your ideas made manifest.

Tyrion was completely right about the wildfire and Stannis would have taken King's Landing if it weren't for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
I remember The Station Agent very differently.