Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

This hasn’t been the case for me, as I generally race 3rd person. Racing in vr feels like it would be the same problem I had with racing wheels / pedals / shifters which is the more realistic it is the slower I am in the game vs using a gamepad.

I'm so much faster playing VR. Your perception of corners is amazing. I guess maybe 3p overcomes that but I like to drive the pretend car from the cockpit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

JBP posted:

I'm so much faster playing VR. Your perception of corners is amazing. I guess maybe 3p overcomes that but I like to drive the pretend car from the cockpit.

One of the coolest things about VR is that I've never been able to really play the wipeout games past the easy races and never understood why i had such a tough time with them until i played it in vr and my first race i felt like anakin and destroyed my previous track record on my first try.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

how much does it cost to get all of the gear required to make gt7 in vr super realistic/immersive? obviously you'd need the helmet, but also the wheel, the shifter, pedals, etc.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

abelwingnut posted:

how much does it cost to get all of the gear required to make gt7 in vr super realistic/immersive? obviously you'd need the helmet, but also the wheel, the shifter, pedals, etc.

I have a wheel. It's very expensive. My advice is don't do it unless you play GT7 a lot and have done for a decent amount of time.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

OxMan posted:

One of the coolest things about VR is that I've never been able to really play the wipeout games past the easy races and never understood why i had such a tough time with them until i played it in vr and my first race i felt like anakin and destroyed my previous track record on my first try.

Gimme da goddamn port Sony, you cowards!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Arist posted:

I don't mean to poo poo on it, I love Insomniac, but both times I've approached Sunset Overdrive I've tried to give it a fair shot and I bounced off it almost immediately. Neither the movement nor the shooting felt good enough.

i've seen people cut the game slack so who knows, but it was the bad insomniac years when they were also making overstrike. i dunno, maybe it's actually the cat's pajamas, credit for swinging for the fences. movement honestly look like suicide squad wearing alligator slippers + a party whistle stuck in your rear end while holding a gun that shoots ice cream cones. i happen to know that goon religion is something similar

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I played Sunset Overdrive for about four hours I think. It absolutely wasn't dogshit or anything, but I didn't feel compelled to play it out given I had other games I could play. It feels decent enough and you can see insomniac trying stuff which is kind of cool but doesn't sustain it.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

JBP posted:

I have a wheel. It's very expensive. My advice is don't do it unless you play GT7 a lot and have done for a decent amount of time.

yea, i just started speccing this out, and good grief.

so the vr2 is like $600.
a fanatec wheel is $700.

...and i just stopped there. would love to try it out, but...that's a lot for one game.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
You can find decent Craigslist/FB marketplace/(whatever “sell your poo poo” website of your choice) deals on wheels, my Logitech G29 ran me about $250 with a stand and shifter (and smelled like a bowling alley ashtray, which thankfully wore off), but yeah once you decide to start going top end on a GT7 rig there’s basically zero limit.

I’m pretty happy with my setup given how much I spent for it but I can’t deny I’ve occasionally looked into add-ons like responsive pedal springs and four-corner shakers that simulate the friction felt by each individual tire but at that point you’re also needing to buy a dedicated computer to packet-sniff GT7’s race heuristics over LAN and…yeah. You wanna spend money? You can spend all the money.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Midnight Pooptrain posted:

Can't believe what a wet turd MK1 turned out to be. Not a single interesting story beat.

Theres one or two and its enjoyable enough, not sure i like it as much these than when i played through it at launch, not sure the new era stuff feels right in some regards

Whole game does feel abit rushed tho buy the fighting feels good. I wanna see how the story dlcs and complete versions pan out

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
Is there any reason to get that metal gear collection if I have the ps3 one laying around somewhere?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

abelwingnut posted:

so the vr2 is like $600.
a fanatec wheel is $700.

...and i just stopped there. would love to try it out, but...that's a lot for one game.

I honestly think the VR2 is enough for a great racing experience. The motion controls on the duel sense feel pretty great since you hold and rotate it like a steering wheel. I'm sure a proper wheel is a massive level up... but I kind of forget I'm not holding a wheel after a bit as is. GT7 was far and away my most played game last year thanks to VR and I'm not even a big racing fan in general.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Reek posted:

Is there any reason to get that metal gear collection if I have the ps3 one laying around somewhere?

If you buy the new one you don’t have to plug in your PS3

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.

BigDumper posted:

If you buy the new one you don’t have to plug in your PS3

That is honestly a pretty good selling point so I might just be that lazy

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
I will never unplug that Triple.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sammus posted:

Honestly Hellblade is one I don’t have even the slightest amount of desire to play.

Why yes I would loooove to have voices in my head constantly telling me I’m a lovely person and worthless. What an amazing experience!

Isnt one of the key story points with the sequel is that the main character doesnt have the voices in her head anymore?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

JBP posted:

Yeah it does help you anticipate cornering, I might be better in time trials in that way. Once there are other cars next to me though the realism is too much and I’m trying not to trade paint instead of worrying about my line.

Even so, the experience is cool as hell, and I wish I had a bunch of racing gear to play with, but you have to really be into the hobby to make it worth while. Once I move the entire setup out of the living room the thought of setting it all up again is just too much for me.

I went all in years ago with a thrustmaster tx setup. I spent more time trying to make it sync properly than playing, so that likely colored my experience. The new direct drive wheels look loving cool, though.

Dewgy posted:

You can find decent Craigslist/FB marketplace/(whatever “sell your poo poo” website of your choice) deals on wheels, my Logitech G29 ran me about $250 with a stand and shifter (and smelled like a bowling alley ashtray, which thankfully wore off), but yeah once you decide to start going top end on a GT7 rig there’s basically zero limit.

I’m pretty happy with my setup given how much I spent for it but I can’t deny I’ve occasionally looked into add-ons like responsive pedal springs and four-corner shakers that simulate the friction felt by each individual tire but at that point you’re also needing to buy a dedicated computer to packet-sniff GT7’s race heuristics over LAN and…yeah. You wanna spend money? You can spend all the money.

Those little corner add ons are cool as hell. You can also get a ‘buttkicker’ for your seat. A buddy of mine has that for his flight sim setup and it’s nuts.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I said come in! posted:

Isnt one of the key story points with the sequel is that the main character doesnt have the voices in her head anymore?

No.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Noooooo I swore it was and I was hoping it would be true.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

lol

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Sammus posted:

Honestly Hellblade is one I don’t have even the slightest amount of desire to play.

Why yes I would loooove to have voices in my head constantly telling me I’m a lovely person and worthless. What an amazing experience!

Work experience kid on the audio mix going "hey is this cool?" That poo poo makes it unplayable in addition to the gameplay being bad.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

IGN: the developer said this is a mental health theme game 5/5

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

JBP posted:

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

JBP posted:

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Sammus posted:

Might I interest you in a little game called Disco Elysium

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

all games are mental health themed games bc you have to be mentally disabled to enjoy them

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/jmaine518/status/1757198603808821625?s=46

Wow this helldivers stuff looks fun

https://x.com/darksleeping/status/1756805461956014229?s=46

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That show was the best thing to come out of the prequel era

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Dang helldivers 2 does look sick. I completely ignored it since i figured it was a 4 player situation.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

February 2024: I think finally get Dragons Dogma

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Dang helldivers 2 does look sick. I completely ignored it since i figured it was a 4 player situation.

It sorta is, but it's easy to jump into another game and play with randos. Just turn off voice chat.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Hellblade was pretty drat good. But no accounting for taste.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Twibbit posted:

Hellblade was pretty drat good. But no accounting for taste.

I went into it completely cold. A buddy told me to buy it when it was on sale, said to play w/headphones, and that was it. It really suited me as a quick 1-2 session SP title. Nothing I'd want to replay, but still probably one of my favorite PS4 experiences.

Might be the only game I've watched the "special features" or commentary in at least 10 years.

I don't think that lightning will find it's bottle again, but I'm more than a bit curious to try it out.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Lies of P don't have the right, o Lies of P don't have the right, being this drat good

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

abelwingnut posted:

so the vr2 is like $600.
a fanatec wheel is $700.

If you get a thrustmaster thats about 350 with pedals, fanatec is not for casual racing and way too expensive. You can get a playseat challenge for about 200, which isa foldable racing chair. Better to go with a cheapee wheel and seat than a fanatec wheel.

But yeah if you dont have a vr already, that's a lot of money at once.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Is Helldivers 2 a full online game? Or does it have a bunch of offline missions? I really want to try it but I'll pass for a bit until I resub to PS+ with some deal

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Guillermus posted:

Is Helldivers 2 a full online game? Or does it have a bunch of offline missions? I really want to try it but I'll pass for a bit until I resub to PS+ with some deal

You can power thru offline but you will hate the game. Luckily it’s easy to play with randos, although all the friendly fire means this takes a bit more skill than your average call of dooty.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Guillermus posted:

Online only.

You can't even see the main menu without logging in.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Is it fun with randos? My last experience with a small squad game was Destiny… fun enough with friends but random players tended to be very unpleasant.

Edit: I guess it was actually the finals. That was fine because running mostly solo with mics off during beta still got a lot of wins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

fridge corn posted:

Lies of P don't have the right, o Lies of P don't have the right, being this drat good

:yeshaha: