Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best in franchise
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Namtab
View Results

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Zechs is cool, Millardo sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Made my roommate watch some subbed PopTeamEpic

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

verbal enema posted:

Made my roommate watch some subbed PopTeamEpic

"so this is why you are this way"

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Also did an ep of Cromartie

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Waffleman_ posted:

Not really, it's extremely far from the sun.

Technically there's still enough light reaching Pluto for certain greenhouse setups to work.

verbal enema posted:

Also did an ep of Cromartie

Best OP song of all time.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Feb 13, 2024

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The page of no drama worked so well I'm declaring Feb 13th the day of no drama.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
namtab's a little bitch who doesn't even like k-on

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Three way battle of the bands Hokago tea Time vs Kessoku Band vs My Go

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Ohtori Akio posted:

been saying this

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

someone told me recently that namtab's name has a secret message if you read it backwards. hosed up

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
manbat????

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kild posted:

been enjoying mashle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG5Rvyn-Lks

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

!!!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
INHUMANOIDS

INHUMANOIDS

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

homeless snail posted:

someone told me recently that namtab's name has a secret message if you read it backwards. hosed up

yeah, suicide squad did him dirty

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
A history of the world in poorly-done manga portraits.

Tag yourselves, I'm Neckbeard Lincoln.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

smug ben franklin looking like he's about to post on reddit

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
There's at least four Brian Blessed characters on the covers of 6 and 7.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Is young Stalin old Stalin the only instance of the same person appearing on two covers? I'm not good at pattern recognition but I know a Stalin when I saw one.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

A history of the world in poorly-done manga portraits.

The little Gendo dude has got to be Talleyrand, right?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Arc Hammer posted:

The little Gendo dude has got to be Talleyrand, right?

You'd think so but it looks nothing like Talleyrand. I think it's Marat.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

You'd think so but it looks nothing like Talleyrand. I think it's Marat.

Depending on when these were drawn the artist could have been basing it off of Paul Rhys's casting as Talleyrand for the Ridley Scott Napoleon film.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Arc Hammer posted:

Depending on when these were drawn the artist could have been basing it off of Paul Rhys's casting as Talleyrand for the Ridley Scott Napoleon film.

They're from 2018.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Lately I've been wanting to read a more in-depth breakdown of the history of manga and how the industry works in general, both in terms of publication and also the lifestyles of mangaka. Does anyone know of any good books or even articles on these subjects? Even the history of fan scanlations would be pretty interesting to know more about. I'm sure I can find some sources for these but I'm equally sure that I'm not the first goon to be interested in reading about it, so I thought I'd ask

As I've worked through the massive backlog of finished series over the years, I've also been starting to read more recent publications and take interest in specific mangaka. I feel like a lot of times one-shots tend to be more experimental and "literary" but I'm not sure where to find more of them, do people just look at recent award winners to find these? I just find random recommendations for stuff like the Ryoko Kui (Dungeon Meshi) and Fujimoto (CM) one-shots.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Tosk posted:

Lately I've been wanting to read a more in-depth breakdown of the history of manga and how the industry works in general, both in terms of publication and also the lifestyles of mangaka. Does anyone know of any good books or even articles on these subjects? Even the history of fan scanlations would be pretty interesting to know more about. I'm sure I can find some sources for these but I'm equally sure that I'm not the first goon to be interested in reading about it, so I thought I'd ask

As I've worked through the massive backlog of finished series over the years, I've also been starting to read more recent publications and take interest in specific mangaka. I feel like a lot of times one-shots tend to be more experimental and "literary" but I'm not sure where to find more of them, do people just look at recent award winners to find these? I just find random recommendations for stuff like the Ryoko Kui (Dungeon Meshi) and Fujimoto (CM) one-shots.

For one-shots/collections, you could look into anything the smaller English publishers put out. Drawn & Quarterly have some works that might be up your alley by Yamada Murasaki (Talk to My Back) and Shigeru Mizuki (Onwards Towards Our Noble Deaths). Fantagraphics has a great collection from Susumu Higa called Okinawa, in quite a lovely hardcover book. All of them include detailed interviews or essays going into their body of work or specific release, great stuff to read alongside the actual manga. Star Fruit Books has a Minami Q-ta book I'd love to read if I could actually get my hands on it in Canada (Not All Girls Are Stupid). And Glacier Bay basically puts out nothing but super experimental short story collections (some I love include MOTHERS by Kusahara Umi, Invisible Parade by Mississippi, and From This Flame by Oumi Konomi). Glacier Bay is a little pricey for the content but they're about as different as you could possibly get from typical manga published in the west.

Of the bigger publishers, former Vertical (now wholly under Kodansha) has put out some works by Kyoko Okazaki works that might be up your alley. Denpa also puts out some great stuff, I'm a huge fan of their two (soon to be three) panpanya collections and their short story collection from Asumiko Nakamura (Maiden Railways).

I'm not sure if you've seen them already, but Naoki Urasawa (Monster, 20th Century Boy's, Pluto, etc.) has a great documentary series called 'Manben' where he interviews various mangaka and really go on deep on their process, specific idiosyncrasies, etc. It's really great. You can find subs floating around.

RuBisCO fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 13, 2024

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Ohtori Akio posted:

Kild posted:

been saying this

homeless snail posted:

You wont bring me down on no drama day

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
i seem to have developed a mild apple allergy mid way through life. throat is still itchy nearly 20 hours later.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pKt9OsxwWc

Tatsuki Fujimoto's graphic novel Look Back is getting a film adaptation

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Rinkles posted:

i seem to have developed a mild apple allergy mid way through life. throat is still itchy nearly 20 hours later.

wuss

FartRomancer.EXE
Jun 26, 2012

despite the name, nothing apple makes is edible, i also found that out the hard way

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

who the hell is an apple

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

homeless snail posted:

who the hell is an apple

Ringo Starr

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

close

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

only green apples taste good

verbal enema