Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Precambrian Video Games posted:

I challenge the assertion that Mark Giordano and David Kampf are "good to play".

Very clear that Kampf has been fighting something for a long time, he built a reputation as one of the fittest/strongest players on the team and I don't think he's won a board battle all season. Gio needs to face the music, fade into the background and retire gracefully, watching his 40 year old bones creak around the ice is depressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Wait until you watch him on the powerplay for the next 2 weeks!

Also Heiskenan for sure had mono a couple years ago when he was 22 or 23

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Twin Cinema posted:

Who gives a poo poo?

as a Red Wings podcast put it, "if you're a baseball fan, this is bat flipping in the 9th inning when you're up by 7. which you should also do, because it's hilarious"

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/JamesNicholsNHL/status/1757441795397386280

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_YV2N7RTbk

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Imagine coming that close to getting out of Calgary and then having it yanked away.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
if this is loving owner meddling I'm going to lose it

of course it's owner meddling

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
maybe McLeod was going the other way

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

but don't worry, Devils fans, you've got a great alternative in the mix

https://twitter.com/kevinweekes/status/1757454176118792430

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

some people see this and say “what the gently caress”. and I am one of the people. but I also gotta hand it to Gary. a deeply successful expansion effort. expansion has gone so well in Columbus that they now have guys in niche podcasts in dead seasons implying a star forward might kill himself. that’s like stuff you see in Canada or a traditional market

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

but don't worry, Devils fans, you've got a great alternative in the mix

https://twitter.com/kevinweekes/status/1757454176118792430

Merzlikins is not any better than the guys the Devils have in house

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

some people see this and say “what the gently caress”. and I am one of the people. but I also gotta hand it to Gary. a deeply successful expansion effort. expansion has gone so well in Columbus that they now have guys in niche podcasts in dead seasons implying a star forward might kill himself. that’s like stuff you see in Canada or a traditional market

I can't shake the feeling that it's the kind of joke I'd have made 20 years ago on this website

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

It’s 100% a joke SAS would’ve made at any point in the early to mid 2000s, yeah.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Did it ever come out what Calgary was asking for? I'm sure the Devils wouldn't move anything off the roster (outside of a goalie to make it to work).

So probably at least one of Casey/Gritsyuk/Hämeenaho? Maybe a first or a 2nd too? Interesting that it fell through given that they made the Shango/Tofolli deal earlier.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I got a list of like 8 people I'd expect to make it now, and then edit it out like cowards.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

T-Bone posted:

Did it ever come out what Calgary was asking for? I'm sure the Devils wouldn't move anything off the roster (outside of a goalie to make it to work).

So probably at least one of Casey/Gritsyuk/Hämeenaho? Maybe a first or a 2nd too? Interesting that it fell through given that they made the Shango/Tofolli deal earlier.

The article said Holtz+

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

T-Bone posted:

https://newjerseyhockeynow.com/2024/02/13/jacob-markstrom-waived-to-join-devils-tom-fitzgerald-flames/

quote:

The Devils were reportedly ready to at least make Swedish sniper Alexander Holtz as part of the transaction.

:cry:

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
oh yeah I guess Holtz makes sense, Ruff hates him anyhow

honestly all the goaltending options look so bad (especially when you factor in return/contracts), it seems insane for the Devils not to do something given that it's probably 80% of why they're not a playoff team right now, but man the grass does not look much greener

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 13, 2024

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

If they can play the patient game, they can probably grab Nedeljkovic for a song when the pens finally admit they're out of the race
not that that's he's a stud or a proven starter, but he'd be a dirt cheap upgrade at least

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
There's pipe dreams that it's Mercer + + with Tanev + Marky (retained) going the other way.

Mostly in my head. God I love Dawson Mercer.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
I just want to extract some value out of Markstrom before he shits the bed again next season.

The Flames should be bottom 5 in the league and trading him/Tanev/Hanifin will get them back there.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

If they can play the patient game, they can probably grab Nedeljkovic for a song when the pens finally admit they're out of the race
not that that's he's a stud or a proven starter, but he'd be a dirt cheap upgrade at least

Be better to trade Jarry before he turns back into a pumpkin

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
ohhhhhh please devils don’t trade a bunch of quality assets for Elvis merzlikins that would make you too scary and good pleaaaaaase don’t do that we would be so scared and it wouldn’t be fair

- the rest of the Metro

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I know the popular idea is to just rotate through cheap goalies, but goddamn, since goalies are voodoo you'll never know which ones will actually be good. It's like playing a game of chance where the odds are stacked against a team.

We are seeing a few teams possibly tank their chances this year at the Cup just because their goalies are bad.

On the other hand, the two biggest goalie cap hits are from Price and Bobrovsky. Other goalies in the top ten of cap hits -- Gibson, Murray, Binnington, and Grubauer. Hell, Merzlikins is 11th.

There is no winning.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

If teams want to get by on cheap tenders, teams should just be drafting a goalie in rounds 2-5 every year. Have one in the chl, one in ncaa, one overseas, one in the ahl, one in the nhl. Keep them while they're cheap, rotate to the next guy.

Signing the 40th best goaltender and hoping he's top 20 this one year just seems worse.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
is morgan rielly any good still?

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I can see them coming back to a Markstrom deal. I would not like to give up Holtz considering his pretty drat solid production given his role and ice time. He's young, cheap, and can finish.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

If teams want to get by on cheap tenders, teams should just be drafting a goalie in rounds 2-5 every year. Have one in the chl, one in ncaa, one overseas, one in the ahl, one in the nhl. Keep them while they're cheap, rotate to the next guy.

Signing the 40th best goaltender and hoping he's top 20 this one year just seems worse.

The Leafs almost have this model, but then Woll got hurt.

Sometimes the other strategy works, though, like when the Avs got Georgiev. Or the Bruins signing Ullmark. But these feel like the exceptions.

heehee posted:

is morgan rielly any good still?

Depends on your definition of how good he was prior.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Opinions on 'Rag it'?

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Hold up: what’s the difference between an in-person and a phone call if the in-person is done via zoom

https://x.com/JShannonhl/status/1757502365685465120?s=20

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
NHL taking a victory lap for setting the trend

https://twitter.com/jmjones/status/1757411028013297941

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nybble posted:

Hold up: what’s the difference between an in-person and a phone call if the in-person is done via zoom

https://x.com/JShannonhl/status/1757502365685465120?s=20

They moved it to virtual because of weather.

Although during the pandemic they did do in-persons via Zoom anyway.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

They moved it to virtual because of weather.

Although during the pandemic they did do in-persons via Zoom anyway.

What the gently caress weather they’re all in Toronto it’s fine here

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Arivia posted:

What the gently caress weather they’re all in Toronto it’s fine here

"Not in the 7th circle of hell where DOPS resides!!!!"*

*bitter homer leafs posters

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
I hope they drag it out longer so we can hear more Leafs quotes

https://x.com/markhmasters/status/1757498187697299772?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Coincidence that Marner martyred himself for the boys so close to Easter? Leafs Year

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

"We're a hard-nosed team who cry and throw baby tantrums when a player showboats during a loss"

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Leafs really can’t help but make themselves look like the most desperate, phoniest tough guy, insecure franchise huh?

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Rielly was a lot better last year, especially in the playoffs. Some Leafs fans are thinking that it'll be interesting to see how Liljegren fares in his minutes, I think it'll only be interesting in the way a natural disaster can be

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Righteously defending the sanctity of the empty net with violence

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

that's what happens when you disrespect the logo

the one that says "milk" I mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

WeaponX posted:

Leafs really can’t help but make themselves look like the most desperate, phoniest tough guy, insecure franchise huh?

I feel like whatever team Reaves has been on the last like 5 years has been this lol