Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Well I for one am excited for the impending sequel to Astro's Playroom with PS6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Can't believe the PS6 has no games.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Lobok posted:

Makes me think that in hindsight it's pretty funny Nintendo seemed to escape any major media scrutiny over releasing a peripheral modeled on a bazooka.

May have helped that it wasn’t imitable- nobody is going to get killed by playing with their dad’s bazooka

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Heavy Metal posted:

The Sony guy did say they're on the "latter half" of the life cycle. Would it kill them to say we're in the later 2/3rds of the life cycle.
If the PS5 has the same life cycle as the PS4, then May 2024 will be halfway.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
The article went onto guess at a 2027 date for the PS6 so yeah I guess that's about right.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

The PS2 only sold as well as it did because it was a DVD player that included a free game console with no other competitor on the market. It was a perfectly timed product that will never happen again and it's not shocking that no other non-handheld system has ever gotten close.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Lobok posted:

Makes me think that in hindsight it's pretty funny Nintendo seemed to escape any major media scrutiny over releasing a peripheral modeled on a bazooka.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhwM3ZMTCR0&t=1886s

They sort of did. I mean, it's clearly an assault weapon, nothing hi-tech.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
PS2 sold well because of it’s goated library just like the switch

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

hatty posted:

PS2 sold well because of it’s goated library

This is true and it's not to discount the games. Blu-ray just didn't have the same impact (plus with the PS3 costing a billion dollars at the time and being hard to develop for) and streaming was already becoming the prevailing choice to watch media by the time the PS4 came out. The PS2 was just a real killer because of what it offered.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

If they try to push a PS6 already I'll be pissed. There is no way this thing is in its latter half. We've barely seen what this thing can really do when you focus entirely on it. Demons Souls redo was the peak of this tech??

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The PS5 feels just like playing the PS4 again except with better load times sometimes. Feels very incremental.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Vintersorg posted:

If they try to push a PS6 already I'll be pissed. There is no way this thing is in its latter half. We've barely seen what this thing can really do when you focus entirely on it. Demons Souls redo was the peak of this tech??
It's been 3.5 years. PS5 came out a long time ago. PS2 lifecycle was only 6 years.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I expect the PS5 Pro this holiday season.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
The sooner we get a PS6 the sooner we get a Red Dead Redemption 2 remaster

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

triple sulk posted:

The PS2 only sold as well as it did because it was a DVD player that included a free game console with no other competitor on the market. It was a perfectly timed product that will never happen again and it's not shocking that no other non-handheld system has ever gotten close.

DVD player with free game console that was cheaper than pretty much every DVD player on the market at the time, and people were moving to HD TVs and needed a DVD player to justify and show off their purchase…. It really was a perfect storm.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Sammus posted:

DVD player with free game console that was cheaper than pretty much every DVD player on the market at the time, and people were moving to HD TVs and needed a DVD player to justify and show off their purchase…. It really was a perfect storm.
The HD revolution was around the time of the PS3, not PS2. DVDs (and the PS2's video output) aren't HD and in 2000 most people did not have an HDTV.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Old gens lasted longer because you were a child and time passed more slowly

Now that you are old the years just go faster and faster

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
Yeah we had massive CRT tvs. 360 and PS3 was when I started looking for HD.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc5VR1CWVlI

Hurrah

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

PS2 has been and will probably always be the peak Sony console.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

For some reason I thought this had already come out

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

fridge corn posted:

For some reason I thought this had already come out

It did, just not here!

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Old gens lasted longer because you were a child and time passed more slowly

Now that you are old the years just go faster and faster

no its actually because most dev time has gone from short to 1-2 years to 4 to even longer now with shift and focuses on long term gaas so the impression of more games on older gens versus lesser games on current gens makes it feel shorter.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I think a big part of this "shock" is that Covid hosed up 3 years of all our lives. It's real loving annoying.

I know at work we have a lot of peeved people thinking they just got new laptops but that was at the start of this shitshow and the 3 year service warranty is already gone.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Feb 14, 2024

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
My PS5 has been one of the best console purchases I’ve ever made. PS4 But Better is exactly what I wanted because the 4 is probably my GOAT console.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

As someone whose life cycle will also end soon (turning 30), I understand

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Sleng Teng posted:

PS2 has been and will probably always be the peak Sony console.

Nah PS4 m8

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
You used to get five GTAs in a decade instead of just one! Truly graphics are the enemy of video games

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

PS2 was, I feel, a stronger showing in a lot of ways. It was a weaker console than its contemporaries but we got some truly inspired games from that era. PS4 is probably second place tho

Speaking of which, what do you guys think the quintessential PS2 game is, and why is it Katamari Damacy?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

It's MGS3, Silent Hill 2, and GTA Vice City, gun to my head between those three I panic and I pick Dragon Quest VIII

(there are also a lot of my fav games on that gen that I think of as PC games, like Max Payne)

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

My PS5 has been one of the best console purchases I’ve ever made. PS4 But Better is exactly what I wanted because the 4 is probably my GOAT console.

Yeah, I mainly want a 5 because most games make my Pro sound like a jet engine these days. And I'm too chicken to redo the thermal paste.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Arist posted:

It did, just not here!

Oh what's the word then, it good? Still have ys9 to play

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Aipsh posted:

Nah PS4 m8

Nah.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

PS1 still the goat

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

fridge corn posted:

PS1 still the goat

A drat fine choice, for sure.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Sony hasn't missed yet.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

Sony hasn't missed yet.

We all thought they missed with the PS3 but turns out we couldn't see where they were aiming. God bless that triple

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

triple sulk posted:

While this makes sense, me and I feel most people I knew already got a DVD player in the past couple years before that. I was buying Cowboy Bebop DVDs in early 2000, as you do, going into Anime High School. I got a PS2 on Christmas 2001 with GTA3 and Guilty Gear X you know it.

But me and my friends were big movie buffs bonding over getting into flicks, everyone had a DVD player there I feel. And who wants to burn up their precious PS2 laser (after PS1's laser problems) using it for movies. Anyhoo this was an overly detailed answer but I'm just saying, for me it was pretty incidental that it played DVDs.

On the other hand, I do buy blu-rays, and I've never bought a blu-ray player. So PS3 and PS4 playing blu-rays was a bigger deal for me, but I get that's a more niche thing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

fridge corn posted:

Oh what's the word then, it good? Still have ys9 to play

Most of the people I've seen play the import version seem to like it though there is one extremely mad about it guy in the Falcom thread who quit after two hours because it has an extremely slow start lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Maybe a dumb question, but is there any reason not to have the USB ports “Always” supply power in rest mode as opposed to the default 3 hours? I’ve been using Remote Play a lot lately while taking care of my newborn son (my PS5 is in our basement and it’s too cold down there for him), and I usually don’t think to immediately go down and plug the controller in when I finish a session. Usually I remember the next morning, but because 3 hours have passed I have to turn the PS5 back on, then put it back into rest mode, and plug in the controller. I figured I could save a step by using the Always setting, but I also don’t want to inadvertently blow out a USB port.