Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So whats the deal with the living paintings? I can chalk it up to Laios being a hunger crazed maniac that he didn't notice how the first painting he jumped into did not deposit him within the painting itself but instead in another part of the castle before following the serving maid into the actual painting. The elf who was present in each painting recognized him by the time he appeared at the feast and tried to kill him for it. Maybe the paintings aren't so much paintings as they are paint-based portals into the past and Laios accidentally did a time travel to before the dungeon kingdom was created and sunk into the earth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Arc Hammer posted:

So whats the deal with the living paintings? I can chalk it up to Laios being a hunger crazed maniac that he didn't notice how the first painting he jumped into did not deposit him within the painting itself but instead in another part of the castle before following the serving maid into the actual painting. The elf who was present in each painting recognized him by the time he appeared at the feast and tried to kill him for it. Maybe the paintings aren't so much paintings as they are paint-based portals into the past and Laios accidentally did a time travel to before the dungeon kingdom was created and sunk into the earth?

In the manga its explained that its illusion magic that manifests as a painting, and not actually a monster. Hence why Laios can't actually bring anything back or meaningfully change the painting itself.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Terrifying Effigies posted:

In the manga its explained that its illusion magic that manifests as a painting, and not actually a monster. Hence why Laios can't actually bring anything back or meaningfully change the painting itself.

So if it's illusion magic that means someone cast it, right? Why would they want to cast an illusion that people mistake for a monster unless they wanted to hide something? Do the paintings come back or is it another one-off weird quirk of the Dungeon?

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Good question, Megaman

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Arc Hammer posted:

So if it's illusion magic that means someone cast it, right? Why would they want to cast an illusion that people mistake for a monster unless they wanted to hide something? Do the paintings come back or is it another one-off weird quirk of the Dungeon?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

One thing to remember is everything feels real in the illusion so Laios was literally risking his life for no reason. The gang probably all know stories about an adventurer who got sucked into one of those paintings and just didn't come out.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So are we talking about outright future spoilers right now or just stuff that the anime left out? Because it is hard to tell and I do not want to mouse over.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

None of them are future spoilers, fwiw. Minor background stuff.

My favorite minor character in this episode was the servant giving Laios the stink eye at the feast.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I like that Marcille did, in fact, get the others and come for Chilchuk after he'd been gone too long. "Oh yeah she fell asleep again" was the obvious gag but no, our girl was awake and brought the team.
should I be spoiling episode stuff? I suppose it's only been out for a day

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

We really need to establish some spoiler guidelines in this thread because we got people spoiling things that don't need to be spoilered and I'm just as guilty.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

Please don't tap the most boring sign possible. Just let people speculate and talk. But also, even if a mad wizard did it, it would be cooler if the mad wizard had motivation and the action internal consistency.

tl;dr gently caress that sign (not you)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Gee0Man/status/1755715652038595001?s=20

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I just put tags on as an "episode just released and not everyone has watched yet" spoiler.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Kwyndig posted:

We really need to establish some spoiler guidelines in this thread because we got people spoiling things that don't need to be spoilered and I'm just as guilty.

I would say anything post-episode release is probably fair game and doesn't need to be spoiled. Manga spoilers/allusions to manga-happenings should not be posted.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
everything but images of marcille should be put behind spoilers, as to not distract people from images of marcille

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

If the episode is out talk about it. If it's manga stuff don't talk about it.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Snooze Cruise posted:

everything but images of marcille should be put behind spoilers, as to not distract people from images of marcille

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

Maybe the Court Wizard wanted to make a painting+, where you don't only look at the depicted history, but can also enter the painting and relive it and a few hundred years and several forgotten spells later, everyone thinks they are traps and/or monsters. :shrug:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Elves must have teeth like rocks. Mimic carapace on its limbs would be the hardest to crack open, since that's where it would be the thickest.

If only they had a weapon like a claw cracker, they fight enough crustaceans they could improvised something out of antiarmor weaponry. Even a pick would help to get the meat out.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

To go a bit beyond the sign without treading into manga spoilers, there is obviously something up with an entire magical kingdom getting sucked underground and turned into a dungeon that later a guy who says he's the king crawls out of, tells people to 'kill the wizard', and immediately turns into dust, which also features weird illusions of said kingdom's past.

Admin edit: This is literally a spoiler from way down the line in the manga

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
...do Elf teeth regrow? If you live forever, eventually you're going to trip and crack a tooth. It would suck to face immortality with a mouthful of trash teeth.

Or maybe healing magic just regenerates them or something. Somehow I feel like Kui has a specific well-thought out answer to this

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Squidster posted:

...do Elf teeth regrow? If you live forever, eventually you're going to trip and crack a tooth. It would suck to face immortality with a mouthful of trash teeth.

Or maybe healing magic just regenerates them or something. Somehow I feel like Kui has a specific well-thought out answer to this

I mean, if you can magic people back from the dead you can magic up a crown or too.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

RuBisCO posted:

I would say anything post-episode release is probably fair game and doesn't need to be spoiled. Manga spoilers/allusions to manga-happenings should not be posted.

spoiler posting = forbidden
anime posting = allowed
fanart posting = mandatory

[source]

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Clearly elves are like sharks and they just constantly regrow new teeth.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/BoioiBozo/status/1755984638085140682?t=e2duQ2TyXy7pkdj3lcJ7Vg&s=19

Emily Rudd felt like she was channeling some Ellen Degeneres Dory with her voice this episode.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 9, 2024

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Terrifying Effigies posted:

To go a bit beyond the sign without treading into manga spoilers, there is obviously something up with an entire magical kingdom getting sucked underground and turned into a dungeon that later a guy who says he's the king crawls out of, tells people to 'kill the wizard', and immediately turns into dust, which also features weird illusions of said kingdom's past.

Admin edit: This is literally a spoiler from way down the line in the manga

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

dont know why this got clapped when it's literally a rundown of the first minute of episode 1

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/ireading62/status/1755775468450828714?t=reNUb1AlurlBuMJHz-6sRA&s=19

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i do think that post is a bit much in a, guiding you down which path to think type of way, but yeah its literally the first minute of the show

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
sounds like someone didnt watch the anime

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I mean that ain't marcille in his avatar, he doesn't have expert knowledge of ALL the elf animes

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Pretty sure it’s also the literal first page of the manga, too

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Captain Invictus posted:

I mean that ain't marcille in his avatar, he doesn't have expert knowledge of ALL the elf animes

https://twitter.com/J02GGOgpQ6dueGu/status/1755851275399491893

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKzRyHnzJmg

Grim fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Feb 12, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Do you think Bump of Chicken was hired to do the OP because of their name and the shows focus on food.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/pentaghasts/status/1757695957909864666?s=20

Preview of an illustration Ryoko Kui did for an upcoming interview

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Isn't there a manga thread? Why are people posting spoilers in this one?

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Because it's hard for people to let new folks have the same sense of discovery of a new thing they had.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
add shadowheart to the OP, they are a very important character

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Yeah the manga was mid until Karlach showed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
that time Senshi baked a pizza on Karlach's abs was pretty funny