Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Flying Zamboni posted:

Sony is leaving money on the table by not doing a solo movie for the only other side character people like: J Jonah Jameson (if played by JK Simmons).

CelticPredator posted:

I’d watch a green goblin movie with dafoe actin silly

Honestly, they could do worse than combining these ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

J Jonah Jameson: Origins
It's a hard-hitting political thriller about an uncompromising New York reporter and the only comic book poo poo happens in the after credits scene with the Mole Man breaks through the street and the Fantastic Four show up.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
J Jonah Jameson: Origins is a down to earth 10-episode series on Disney+ that ends with a massive CGI battle destroying an entire city block.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

They’re leaving so much money on the table by not doing a full Clone Saga Trilogy

That would have to involve actually having some Spider-Man fans on staff at Sony. Or people who enjoy movies. That's not how Hollywood works anymore.

They probably moved forward with Web because their internal data showed them that Girl Power is trending, and that an questionnaire showed that an acceptable percentage of Millennials remember the name Madame Web from the 90s cartoon.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

8one6 posted:

J Jonah Jameson: Origins
It's a hard-hitting political thriller about an uncompromising New York reporter and the only comic book poo poo happens in the after credits scene with the Mole Man breaks through the street and the Fantastic Four show up.

I'm the "econmy".

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
You know they could just make a Paul Giamatti Rhino movie

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Detective No. 27 posted:

I’m starting to think that Spider-Man is the character most people care about in Spider-Man.

Everyone loves Spider-dog, Spider-mans adorable pet puppy!!!

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

I’m starting to think that Spider-Man is the character most people care about in Spider-Man.

Spider man is a menace

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

Rhino and Sandman on a road trip through wine country.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Maxwell Lord posted:

Going to be paying a lot more when he wins an Oscar

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Robot Style posted:

Rhino and Sandman on a road trip through wine country.

...okay I know this is a Sideways joke, but I would legit probably watch this hypothetical movie

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Professor Shark posted:

Please just let it die

Comic book movies

Deconstructed comic book movies

Just do new things

They just cast Pedro Pascal as Mr Fantastic.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

The MSJ posted:

They just cast Pedro Pascal as Mr Fantastic.

Not my glorious golden retriever Pedro!

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Give me J. Jonah Jameson Spotlight. Play it straight

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Drunkboxer posted:

Spider man is a menace

This is nonsense. Spider-man is a threat

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

It's still kind of baffling to me that they haven't just made Venom the main character. You could easily do Venom vs Morbius or have Kraven decide to hunt the symbiote, and then you've got a core character to throw villains at rather than trying to stretch gimmick bad guys into feature film stars.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
What base a franchise on our only successful comic book character? No thanks, time to spin the Marvel encyclopedia again.

And looks like our next blockbuster is starring...Mallet Face everyone!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Professor Shark posted:

Please just let it die

Comic book movies

Deconstructed comic book movies

Just do new things

No.

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/fantastic-four-cast-marvel-studios-1235875766/

quote:

The superhero quartet — the first characters created for Marvel Comics by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby — will be played by Pedro Pascal as Reed Richards (aka Mr. Fantastic), Vanessa Kirby as Sue Storm (aka the Invisible Woman), Joseph Quinn as Johnny Storm (aka the Human Torch) and Ebon Moss-Bachrach as Ben Grimm (aka the Thing).

As part of the casting announcement, Disney has swapped the release dates of “The Fantastic Four” (now set for July 25, 2025) and “Thunderbolts” (now set for May 2, 2025). Those are two of four Marvel tentpoles currently set to open in 2025, along with “Captain America: Brave New World” in February and “Blade” in November. Four Marvel films are also scheduled for 2026, including “Avengers: The Kang Dynasty.” That’s a ramp up from 2024: Marvel only has “Deadpool & Wolverine” for theaters, on July 26.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
How many bombs in a row will they need to see before it's time for a serious change in the gameplan? Like if Captain America Brave New World comes out, nobody cares, and it bombs, are they just gonna pretend everything's fine and move ahead with back to back Avengers movies in 2026 and 2027?

Deadpool vs. Wolverine will do good business but that's a unique thing that they aren't gonna be able to build on moving forward.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Captain America 4 has had so many reshoots it's practically two movies (a regular and Brave New Movie?) so I'm expecting it is impossible for that one to pull a profit. I don't know what the deal with Thunderbolts is but it seems like it has been delayed and recasted enough it might have a similar problem.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The only bomb has been The Marvels so far. I assume Deadpool & Wolverine will be one of the highest grossing movies of the year.

The other stuff who knows, but a lot of projects are in reshoots and nothing else is scheduled to release until 2025 anyway

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm considering Antman to have been a bomb. I get it, the movie made money but less than $500 mil is not at all what they're going for with these movies. It's possible that when you factor in marketing Antman may have only broken even.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

How many bombs in a row will they need to see before it's time for a serious change in the gameplan? Like if Captain America Brave New World comes out, nobody cares, and it bombs, are they just gonna pretend everything's fine and move ahead with back to back Avengers movies in 2026 and 2027?

Marvel's really heavily gimmick dependent, so how successful they are in the future is going to rely on their gimmicks.

First it was crossovers - "we have characters from different studios in the same movie", and then it was soap opera tactics "all these different character movies are telling one story, so you can't miss any".

Then they tried soft rebooting the characters - new Captain America, new Iron Man, new Hawkeye and Black Widow and Hulk. Not really as successful.

They've also kind of wandered back to the crossover thing, and have announced years in advance that they're going to be dumping all their action figures on the carpet together in Secret Wars.

And next they have Hard Reboots - New Fantastic Four, New X-Men - this time it's the real guys instead of those fake ones from the other studios.

But after that? The bag of tricks is kind of running low. Maybe they'll get desperate enough to officially cross over with Star Wars or other Disney properties... or maybe Disney will just chomp up Warner Bros. and we'll get Superman and Batman joining the Avengers.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Robot Style posted:

Marvel's really heavily gimmick dependent, so how successful they are in the future is going to rely on their gimmicks.

First it was crossovers - "we have characters from different studios in the same movie", and then it was soap opera tactics "all these different character movies are telling one story, so you can't miss any".

Then they tried soft rebooting the characters - new Captain America, new Iron Man, new Hawkeye and Black Widow and Hulk. Not really as successful.

They've also kind of wandered back to the crossover thing, and have announced years in advance that they're going to be dumping all their action figures on the carpet together in Secret Wars.

And next they have Hard Reboots - New Fantastic Four, New X-Men - this time it's the real guys instead of those fake ones from the other studios.

But after that? The bag of tricks is kind of running low. Maybe they'll get desperate enough to officially cross over with Star Wars or other Disney properties... or maybe Disney will just chomp up Warner Bros. and we'll get Superman and Batman joining the Avengers.

Gonna start releasing movies with special holographic foil covers and poo poo, each one the #1 of a promising new franchise (that will never materialize)

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

There’s another Venom movie coming out this year. I enjoyed the first one but the sequel was really forgettable. Not quite 3 years ago and I only remember the very broad strokes. Pretty underwhelming after years of listening to Spiderman dorks shriek about how XTreme Carnage is.

I might see this new one depending on how it’s rated. I haven’t seen a superhero movie in the theater since Love and Thunder almost 2 years ago.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The success of The Boys should indicate that the public wants to see them superheroes fuckin and killin.

E: come to think of it I think Love and Thunder was the last one I saw in theatres as well. Taika is so bad he's just completely killing peoples desire to catch the garbage rollercoaster movies

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

FlamingLiberal posted:

The only bomb has been The Marvels so far. I assume Deadpool & Wolverine will be one of the highest grossing movies of the year.

The other stuff who knows, but a lot of projects are in reshoots and nothing else is scheduled to release until 2025 anyway

It will be. The only people who don't want Deadpool 3 are goons

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I just don't think they can really read much into the success of Deadpool and Wolverine. For one thing Ryan Reynolds doesn't seem interested in doing Deadpool movies regularly, he's going to make one maybe very 5 or 6 years. Or maybe he never makes another one. On top of that this one happens to feature the return of a beloved character/actor, and that's a one-off thing that won't be repeatable.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Tars Tarkas posted:

Captain America 4 has had so many reshoots it's practically two movies (a regular and Brave New Movie?) so I'm expecting it is impossible for that one to pull a profit. I don't know what the deal with Thunderbolts is but it seems like it has been delayed and recasted enough it might have a similar problem.

Speaking as someone who read a lot of comics 30 years ago and was enough of a dork to get excited about Guardians of the Galaxy when it was first announced… who the gently caress are the Thunderbolts?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hasturtium posted:

Speaking as someone who read a lot of comics 30 years ago and was enough of a dork to get excited about Guardians of the Galaxy when it was first announced… who the gently caress are the Thunderbolts?

Their roster is a bunch of really obscure characters, the only one that's an established character in the MCU is Hawkeye. So I'm assuming it'll just be a Hawkeye movie where he puts together a team for some reason.

Is Renner even in a good enough shape yet to make a movie after his accident?

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Someone in Hollywood named Ebon Moss-Bachrach does not at all have the parentage that I was expecting.

Not sure I'm buying Pascal as Mr. Fantastic, but I'm willing to be convinced. He can't be worse than the last few attempts!

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Hasturtium posted:

Thunderbolts is kind of Marvel's Suicide Squad, with the added gimmick of each member sometimes being a proxy for an Avenger (also known as the Dark Avengers).

So in the comics, you might have a team with Venom instead of Spider-Man, Bullseye instead of Hawkeye, Dakken instead of Wolverine, or Ares instead of Thor.

But because the MCU doesn't really have enough characters to pull that off, the movie version has to fill out the roster with at least three different versions of Captain America.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I must’ve missed it, when was that line viral or a meme?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Thunderbolts are the MCU’s version of the Suicide Squad. They are typically a group of villains, antiheroes, or both.

The lineup that was revealed was-

New Black Widow
Red Guardian
Ghost
Winter Soldier
US Agent
Taskmaster

Three of those characters are from the Black Widow movie

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Zero_Grade posted:

Someone in Hollywood named Ebon Moss-Bachrach does not at all have the parentage that I was expecting.

Not sure I'm buying Pascal as Mr. Fantastic, but I'm willing to be convinced. He can't be worse than the last few attempts!

Pedro Pascal has a pretty devoted following, they might actually go in there to see stretch daddy.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Four if you count Elaine from Seinfeld.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Zero_Grade posted:

All I know him for is his role as Micro in the netflix Punisher showing bragging about how he's hung like a moose

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Robot Style posted:

This is just Patton Oswalt’s citizen filibuster from Parks and Rec (which was oddly prescient considering how the Star Wars and Marvel stuff has all unfolded):

https://youtu.be/5BBhNkywMJY?feature=shared

Edit: While I’m very over the Marvel movies/superhero stuff in general, the Fantastic Four cast is great so I may give it a chance. Ebon Moss-Bachrach was excellent in The Bear, happy he’s getting a good payday even if he’s mostly just voice acting.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Thunderbolts are the MCU’s version of the Suicide Squad. They are typically a group of villains, antiheroes, or both.

New Black Widow
Red Guardian
Ghost
Winter Soldier
US Agent
Taskmaster

3 of them will die in the movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

New Black Widow
Red Guardian
Ghost
Winter Soldier
US Agent
Taskmaster

I’m loving imagining Greg Davies and Alex Horne joining the line up