Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

BigDumper posted:

Maybe a dumb question, but is there any reason not to have the USB ports “Always” supply power in rest mode as opposed to the default 3 hours? I’ve been using Remote Play a lot lately while taking care of my newborn son (my PS5 is in our basement and it’s too cold down there for him), and I usually don’t think to immediately go down and plug the controller in when I finish a session. Usually I remember the next morning, but because 3 hours have passed I have to turn the PS5 back on, then put it back into rest mode, and plug in the controller. I figured I could save a step by using the Always setting, but I also don’t want to inadvertently blow out a USB port.

I don't think leaving them on puts the ports at risk, what it does is keep a little bit of the system running to manage them so it uses marginally more power while resting. The tradeoff for being able to plug and charge whenever you want is a few more fractions of a cent on your power bill and a few more pounds of emissions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

There's a lack of PS5 games, or at least the perception of one, probably because the standard of AAA gaming has gotten so high that games that "push the hardware to its limits" take a decade and 1,000 people to produce now.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That plus exclusives being pretty much dead outside of Nintendo games.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
"Pushing the limits" sounds like "well this certainly looks impressive but it also runs like crap" to me.

Which is why late PS4 titles are some of the best games to play on PS5.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

https://twitter.com/finalfantasyvii/status/1757784940807422229

The Rebirth demo patch will include an update to performance, neat

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

smoobles posted:

There's a lack of PS5 games, or at least the perception of one, probably because the standard of AAA gaming has gotten so high that games that "push the hardware to its limits" take a decade and 1,000 people to produce now.

That's why these remakes are starting to be a thing.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I have played a lot of insanely good games on my PS5 and that's no coincidence

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Part of the perception of 'fewer games' also comes from the fact that people have decided that multiplatform games don't count as games you can play on your console for some reason. Like last year was one of the most absurdly stacked years in video game history. The PS5 is not exactly lacking in games.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Arist posted:

https://twitter.com/finalfantasyvii/status/1757784940807422229

The Rebirth demo patch will include an update to performance, neat

Patches and performance upgrades for demos? What a time to be alive.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I believe Square did the same thing at some point during the Forspoken demo.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Speaking of USB ports, are there any recommended adapters to get more USB ports? Long story short I'm using a wingman brook FGC converter to use a PS4 fightpad on my PS5, but that means the dang headphone socket isn't recognised on the pad and I got some nice Boss wireless headphones for Christmas I'd like to use while fighting in the streets. I'll have to grab a USB Bluetooth adapter anyway and it got me thinking that having more than 3 ports would be just lovely for my lazy arse. If not that's fine. :)

fridge corn posted:

PS1 still the goat

:hfive: that boot sound still lives rent free in my heart and brain :allears:

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Sniper Elite 5 is under $20. Do I wanna shoot Hitler in the ball? Yes. Yes I do.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Professor Coprophagia speaks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGxdel9tb_E

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

ImpAtom posted:

Part of the perception of 'fewer games' also comes from the fact that people have decided that multiplatform games don't count as games you can play on your console for some reason. Like last year was one of the most absurdly stacked years in video game history. The PS5 is not exactly lacking in games.

This is the stupidest broad perspective I’ve seen, and it’s become particularly prominent in the last generation. (The perception of fewer games, not your observation of this.) I seriously don’t get it other than more stupid console warrioring. Every platform has an embarrassment of riches, it’s too much to keep up with.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Argument is that people want games that PS4 couldn't possibly handle meaning they must be really impressive but devs are still struggling with performance issues on PS5 while cross gen titles are usually good enough on PS4 and excellent on PS5.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I still haven't even finished Elden Ring, PS5 has far too many games I want to play compared to the amount of time I have for gaming

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

Helldivers 2 is one heck of a good time to play.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

poo poo I'm still working through Yakuza 5. I have enough games for a decade.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

My 1 year + 45 days old PS5 controller already has some drift. Taking it apart looks annoying as hell. Is there anything I can do from the outside without disassembling it?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Not really, you can try messaging sony but I’ve never had a good experience with them. Easier to do the old Walmart switcharoo

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

https://blog.playstation.com/2024/0...halla-and-more/

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Excellent. I’ve been wanting to play Outer Worlds for ages, but what I’s heard was mixed enough I wasn’t willing to pay extra for it.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

My 1 year + 45 days old PS5 controller already has some drift. Taking it apart looks annoying as hell. Is there anything I can do from the outside without disassembling it?

You can try spraying WD40 Contact Cleaner under the stick. It's a temporary solution but works for a little while.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Baggot posted:

This is the stupidest broad perspective I’ve seen, and it’s become particularly prominent in the last generation. (The perception of fewer games, not your observation of this.) I seriously don’t get it other than more stupid console warrioring. Every platform has an embarrassment of riches, it’s too much to keep up with.

Yeah that one drives me nuts.

Right up there with game X ruined game Y for me. Like, comparison is academic, they’re independent experiences, and I find that it’s just a weird sort of fandom when people say it. Also, ruined? Really?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

appreciate the review but everything i've seen about this game is just like "it's fun i swear!" meanwhile none of the footage looks especially interesting or noteworthy. in a weird way, i get warhawk vibes out of this, where if i were to show someone gameplay of that game, it would probably be hard to convince them that it was anything special, but simply playing it and experiencing the ridiculous chaos of the emergent gameplay was so fun in a way that's hard to capture in words. i'm on the fence but i'm hoping it's a game you have to play to really "get it" and i'll be pleasantly surprised.

also this review reminded me that the ps5 has haptics in the triggers. with the dualsense edge i just set the L2/R2 buttons to have the least travel possible and i can't imagine going back to the full travel experience. as nice as it might be to have a "realistic" trigger, i'd much rather just press the button = do the thing. i don't need immersion for pulling a bow or whatever.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

ShoogaSlim posted:

also this review reminded me that the ps5 has haptics in the triggers. with the dualsense edge i just set the L2/R2 buttons to have the least travel possible and i can't imagine going back to the full travel experience. as nice as it might be to have a "realistic" trigger, i'd much rather just press the button = do the thing. i don't need immersion for pulling a bow or whatever.

I don't usually like it when games simulate trigger resistance for realism, and fwiw Helldivers 2 doesn't do much of that. Its adaptive trigger use is pretty restrained, I think it just helps the different guns feel distinct in hand. I'm playing Death Stranding Director's Cut right now and it does a really nice job of using the Dualsense features to communicate the weight you're carrying. When you hold L2 or R2 to steady yourself, the resistance gets stronger the more you're burdened.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This includes Tales of Arise, a game made entirely out of wasted potential. Not the worst thing you could be playing for free, though.

It also includes Tales of Zestiria, a game where playing it for free is about thirty dollars too expensive

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Arist posted:

This includes Tales of Arise, a game made entirely out of wasted potential. Not the worst thing you could be playing for free, though.

They did a dlc in the last six months or so, didn't they? Did you check that out?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Gonna save the games industry with my new business model, paid-to-win, where people get cash if they win matches

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Fix posted:

They did a dlc in the last six months or so, didn't they? Did you check that out?

I did not, but what I've heard suggests it solved almost none of my problems with that game, unfortunately

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Ah, well. I liked Arise well enough but, as you said, wasted potential.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I'm going to rank the PlayStations

PS2 > PS1 > PS5 > PS4 > PS3

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

I think a big part of this "shock" is that Covid hosed up 3 years of all our lives. It's real loving annoying.

I know at work we have a lot of peeved people thinking they just got new laptops but that was at the start of this shitshow and the 3 year service warranty is already gone.

And then everyone's object permanence ran out and we all just started treating it like it dissappeared like Y2K or those murder hornets despite the what, death rates at thrice the 9/11 number?

Arist posted:

It also includes Tales of Zestiria, a game where playing it for free is about thirty dollars too expensive

Was Arise actually a totally different game that got reformed to be a Tales game for some reason?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I'll have you know that around these parts we still get those murder hornet reports.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

And then everyone's object permanence ran out and we all just started treating it like it dissappeared like Y2K or those murder hornets despite the what, death rates at thrice the 9/11 number?

It hurt number okay? You don't hurt number. Also it inconvenienced the sheeple consumers and threatened their treats.

What's a little death vs. being unable to harass waitresses every other day?

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Wait... What decade are we talking about again?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

pumped up for school posted:

Wait... What decade are we talking about again?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

:greencube:

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

triple sulk posted:

The PS2 only sold as well as it did because it was a DVD player that included a free game console with no other competitor on the market. It was a perfectly timed product that will never happen again and it's not shocking that no other non-handheld system has ever gotten close.

Also it had a computer so powerful Saddam Hussein was trying to buy PS2s to get around sanctions against chips that could be used for missile guidance systems.

(This is sarcastic unless this was actually true, I honestly dont remember)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

biceps crimes posted:

I'm going to rank the PlayStations

PS2 > PS1 > PS5 > PS4 > PS3

this list is backwards fyi