Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Control Warrior can already do 30 from hand lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Yeah, like, if Big Astalor and Trenchstalker aren’t breaking anything with Brann, it’s tough to feature Boom doing so.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Worryingly, the preorder bundles also give you access to an epic card that is exclusive to the bundles until the expansion releases. I can’t say I like the precedent this sets.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Worryingly, the preorder bundles also give you access to an epic card that is exclusive to the bundles until the expansion releases. I can’t say I like the precedent this sets.

yeah the actual card looks mid but this stinks to high heaven of "testing the waters"

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

precedent corridor sleeper's setting is a little worrying but I don't have anything insightful to say about it so here are a couple images of the reveals today

toyed with a handbuff dk for a few seasons before rainbow became not poo poo, definitely gonna try it again

also apparently harth replaces your hand with a random one of thirteen 8-card hands (10 non-DK classes + 3 DK hands for the 3 runes) and this is the warrior one. we're so back

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The Wind-up concept basically already existed in Stormwind.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Yeah it's a bit poo poo.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
somebody just tried that artist guy with elemental shaman vs me playing elemental shaman and they got a bunch of 2/4's lol

apparently my deck tracker crashed at some point? no replay.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
one of the "iconic hands" is shudderwock shaman :haw:

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I did it!

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Video of the custom Zilliax generator.

I like that you make your own portrait for it :3:

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
The new discover a 4 mana 7/7 card sounds cool in theory, until you realize that you actually spent 7 mana on it like a fool.
I love the new build-a-zilliax though.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

peer posted:

That's a ridiculous amount of conditionals to be able to do 30 from hand. I don't think it'll be a problem

yeah I'm probably overreacting tbh

Build-a-Zilliax is gonna be in like every deck but at least they're gonna be all different versions

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Oenis posted:

The new discover a 4 mana 7/7 card sounds cool in theory, until you realize that you actually spent 7 mana on it like a fool.
I love the new build-a-zilliax though.

but it's INCREDIBLE VALUE!

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Willing to bet Incredible Value originally was 2-mana to match Faceless's overload but 7/7s being coined out on 3 was a problem, somehow

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Lumbermouth posted:

No Unity or Precision modules? BOO! BOO BLIZZARD, BOO!

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Thinking of coming back to this game after several years off... Should I wait until the next expansion goes live? I know there's catch up packs, new "core" system, etc, if I get a bunch of catch up cards now are they just going to rotate out in a few weeks?

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Jeza posted:

Funny happenstance that it's the 10th anniversary but I uninstalled and doubt I will be back. I exclusively played Arena which was very much the ugly duckling gamemode so I can't speak to the health of other gamemodes, but the declining playercount and the swinginess of newer cards (+ a few other bits and pieces) has slowly sucked the fun out of Arena.

What's really changed is that you no longer really feel like you have as much agency over wins and losses and I think it's statistically provable. Over time the top win rates have declined absolutely massively and presumably the 'lose rates' have also increased massively. Basically all players have been pushed towards the statistical average. In my view, that's simply because the cards available to draft and discover have eroded the ability for decisions to matter in games. You aren't punished or rewarded. poo poo just happens. I win games by comical margins and lose them by the same.

5-6 years ago I would average 8 to 8.5 wins which would make me just about the best Arena player in the world today. Now I barely average ~6 which back then wouldn't even sniff the leaderboard but is still somehow Top 1-2%. And that's with less games required to qualify, so the gap is even starker.

It's like there's a fundamental misunderstanding that if you can balance class winrates and balance deck strength and even balance player winrates, you've made a balanced game on paper. But actually all they've done is systematically eliminate skill differential so nothing feels earned.

Not sure why I felt the need to write a little in memoriam rant but idk. I played a long time and it was pretty fun even if Blizzard always hated the part of the game I liked lol.

I appreciate this post. I was an Arena main too until Duels came out. Not as good as you (my average when I tracked was 6.8) but I felt the change in realtime and it slowly pushed me away. I like being able to win more by being clever on the fly with bad cards (starting with booster drafts in MTG/SW:CCG back in the day) without paying a bunch for whatever the FOTM list some pro put together to play Standard or Legacy.

I wish Arena had a free mode like Duels did - maybe that's why they killed it.

Anyway pre-coffee rambling but I feel you.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

Thinking of coming back to this game after several years off... Should I wait until the next expansion goes live? I know there's catch up packs, new "core" system, etc, if I get a bunch of catch up cards now are they just going to rotate out in a few weeks?

Yes, there's about to be a huge rotation where roughly half of the cards you can open will be retired from the main format. Definitely wait on opening any packs

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Tender Bender posted:

Catchup packs aren’t gonna change set contents when the format rotates, they are locked to the expansions they do now. The question with them is will they bring out new ones before the 3rd expansion in the year (imo probably not, it’s simpler to just copy the 5 old sets thing and that means waiting a year since the first one). The only packs I would hold off on opening at the moment are Standard packs.
The expansion xp rewards track is also front loaded so I would recommend playing now rather than waiting a month to touch the game even if it means mostly playing battlegrounds. If you choose to/accidentally get a free deck I would recommend the Warrior or Death Knight decks, both are close to a strong standard archetype and have 2 legendaries that will survive rotation.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

There's a new "Mystery" coming up, with a card back reward.

First part has been found, it's a minigame launched by going to Options -> Miscellaneous -> Credits and clicking in the lower left corner of the credits canvas.

This will launch a board where you will be presented with two cards and you have to pick the "older" one.

There is a faint embossed expansion logo behind each card text that can help, but sometimes it's hard to make out, so good luck.
To make matters worse, there's also a rope burning on each pick.

You need to get ALL of them correct to solve this step.

For reference, here's the chronological order of the expansion releases.

https://twitter.com/agepatterson/status/1757747172282626181

And this is the card back so you can decide if you want to jump through a bunch of hoops for it.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Feb 14, 2024

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Another one has been found:

Go to Solo Adventures (or just the "Hearthstone" game mode screen), click on the "?" at the bottom for the Tutorial mode.

Skip to page 3 of the tutorial introduction pages and click on the little rivet in the top right corner to launch the "Guess the card" mini-game.

Pick a card and drag it to the correct minion.

Unrelated: So close, yet so far

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 14, 2024

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
If it doesn’t take like 4 hours like the previous one then I might go for it

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

The higher or lower one was longer than you'd expect - 45 picks i think going by the life total animation. but the name the card I just bashed out in 2 mins (both first try, ofc)

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Yes, there's about to be a huge rotation where roughly half of the cards you can open will be retired from the main format. Definitely wait on opening any packs

Blasmeister posted:

Catchup packs aren’t gonna change set contents when the format rotates, they are locked to the expansions they do now. The question with them is will they bring out new ones before the 3rd expansion in the year (imo probably not, it’s simpler to just copy the 5 old sets thing and that means waiting a year since the first one). The only packs I would hold off on opening at the moment are Standard packs.
The expansion xp rewards track is also front loaded so I would recommend playing now rather than waiting a month to touch the game even if it means mostly playing battlegrounds. If you choose to/accidentally get a free deck I would recommend the Warrior or Death Knight decks, both are close to a strong standard archetype and have 2 legendaries that will survive rotation.

Thanks, so if I'm understanding correctly, the "catch-up packs" contain cards from specific expansions regardless of when I open them. They also give more cards based on how many I'm missing, so I want to open them first. I think I am going to be given some of these for logging back in, or maybe it just means I have the option to buy them?

"Standard packs" are the new default packs (did this replace Classic packs), they can contain any card from the current expansions? I should open these last and ideally wait until the new rotation happens so I'm opening cards that will be legal for a year.

"Classic/Basic" is gone entirely, instead there is "core" which is a curated list of past cards (and you get all of these guaranteed if you level enough)?

Sorry for all the questions but I've been browsing a lot and am still pretty lost. Last time I played was in 2018 with the odd/even sets with Genn Greymane.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Tried the card tinder game twice with no success. Been playing since beta and this poo poo was too hard for me.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Tender Bender posted:

Thanks, so if I'm understanding correctly, the "catch-up packs" contain cards from specific expansions regardless of when I open them. They also give more cards based on how many I'm missing, so I want to open them first. I think I am going to be given some of these for logging back in, or maybe it just means I have the option to buy them?

"Standard packs" are the new default packs (did this replace Classic packs), they can contain any card from the current expansions? I should open these last and ideally wait until the new rotation happens so I'm opening cards that will be legal for a year.

"Classic/Basic" is gone entirely, instead there is "core" which is a curated list of past cards (and you get all of these guaranteed if you level enough)?

Sorry for all the questions but I've been browsing a lot and am still pretty lost. Last time I played was in 2018 with the odd/even sets with Genn Greymane.

Yeah, the core set is just a set of cards that changes yearly (but doesn't change that much yearly) that you automatically have for that year but you'll need to craft or open those cards if you want to use them once they leave the core set. Again, it's the same role as the old classic/basic set but without tying everyone's baseline card quality to cards that were made at the launch of the game.

When deciding what order to open packs in, make sure you go from specific to general. So, you want to do something like:
  • Catch-up packs first, because they give you more the smaller your collection is.
  • Expansion-specific packs
  • Class-specific packs
  • Standard packs
That way it's much more likely you'll fill holes in your collection.

Anyway, I believe packs' contents are determined when you open them and not when you buy them, thus if you wait until rotation they should only give you cards in the current standard and not cards from the rotated year.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Anyway, I believe packs' contents are determined when you open them and not when you buy them, thus if you wait until rotation they should only give you cards in the current standard and not cards from the rotated year.

This is true, if you have a bunch of Standard Packs right now you should hold them until the rotation so they don't give you year of the hydra cards

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Lumbermouth posted:

Have they said what the Elusive keyword shown on one of these options is?

edit: nevermind it's in the video when they mouse over. cant be targeted by spells or hero powers

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Basically, you want to save Standard packs (and class packs, if you have any; they come with the hero skins you can buy in the shop) until after the next expansion launches on March 19, because at that point they’ll only contain new cards. Every other kind of pack has locked-in contents, so you might as well open them now and see what you get.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
What’s with the sudden wave of bots playing Mech Rogue at Diamond 5? Is it a “The bot has made it this far with garbage, time to give it a real-ish deck for the final climb to Legend” thing?

Luff
Jul 11, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
I got to try the quest reward that discounts tavern spells by one in a quillboar + lubber lobby today. One lubber was enough to go infinite on tier 3 and steamroll the lobby from there. Absolute nonsense. Can't believe they printed that quest. At least it's fun to play

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

mcbexx posted:

There's a new "Mystery" coming up, with a card back reward.

First part has been found, it's a minigame launched by going to Options -> Miscellaneous -> Credits and clicking in the lower left corner of the credits canvas.

This will launch a board where you will be presented with two cards and you have to pick the "older" one.

There is a faint embossed expansion logo behind each card text that can help, but sometimes it's hard to make out, so good luck.
To make matters worse, there's also a rope burning on each pick.

You need to get ALL of them correct to solve this step.

succeeded on my fifth attempt. three out of the first four were 49/50.

didn't help that more than once it provided two cards from the same set:

nor that there were constantly things that were just wrong, like the cost of harmonic hip hop in that previous picture, and frequently both cards, not just one like in that or in this one:

plus the occasional distinction between sets that was stupid. I saw street trickster from both caverns of time and mean streets of gadgetzan, for example.

I can only assume there's something more going on here, but whatever, I did it

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Yeah, the core set is just a set of cards that changes yearly (but doesn't change that much yearly) that you automatically have for that year but you'll need to craft or open those cards if you want to use them once they leave the core set. Again, it's the same role as the old classic/basic set but without tying everyone's baseline card quality to cards that were made at the launch of the game.

When deciding what order to open packs in, make sure you go from specific to general. So, you want to do something like:
  • Catch-up packs first, because they give you more the smaller your collection is.
  • Expansion-specific packs
  • Class-specific packs
  • Standard packs
That way it's much more likely you'll fill holes in your collection.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

This is true, if you have a bunch of Standard Packs right now you should hold them until the rotation so they don't give you year of the hydra cards

bravesword posted:

Basically, you want to save Standard packs (and class packs, if you have any; they come with the hero skins you can buy in the shop) until after the next expansion launches on March 19, because at that point they’ll only contain new cards. Every other kind of pack has locked-in contents, so you might as well open them now and see what you get.

Got it, thank you all for the advice and explanations!

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Is anyone else's journal just.....not opening for you at all

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
I continue to loathe how every other control deck in the game outside of Priest gets to have a guaranteed wincon, and Priest is expected to just... get lucky with stealing the opponent's. Or manage to hit exactly right on every single disruption piece they can jam in (which, mind you, are all neutral cards). And also do all that while having some of their very best cards (the highlander package) get entirely invalidated by one of the most popular and strongest decks in the meta (plague DK). And, worst of all, be universally hated because that very lack of any actual way to win means that Priest games are long, favored for literally anyone else they encounter, but when they do win it's purely through RNG bullshit they didn't put in their deck in the first place. It's definitely gotten worse as we move through the year, too.

I really like some of Priest's cards (and especially from the last expansion), but each game is just miserable for both players. It doesn't help that apparently the matchmaker thinks "you must want to go against literally nothing but DK and Warrior, hope you enjoy 40 minute games where you know you're gonna lose by the minute 10 after The Inevitable Wincon comes out before you had a prayer to stop it".

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Priest has Neptulon the Tidehunter for a win con?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Wild Legend is infested with real people playing Even Totem Shaman now that the Even Totem Shaman bots are gone. The games are better but it's a pretty brutal deck in the hands of an actual player. I'm not sure if this is better or worse.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Desert Bus posted:

Wild Legend is infested with real people playing Even Totem Shaman now that the Even Totem Shaman bots are gone. The games are better but it's a pretty brutal deck in the hands of an actual player. I'm not sure if this is better or worse.

On the one hand, I've reached diamond 10 for the first time ever in standard, having faced almost all bots outside maybe... 5-6 matches? And getting the reward is pretty cool. But at the same time, drat was it boring to go against asdsajifdhblui, 匹馬在浴室裡 , and [animal][color].

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Desert Bus posted:

Yeah, if you wanna climb now you either play Even or something that can farm it.
But yes, it's always been a ludicrously good deck with a human hand, which is what makes it so infuriating there's someone in the card design team who just keeps on knocking out perfect cards for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008
How is this game now? Am a little bored and thinking of dabbling in it again. Issue is, I quit last time because you sort of had to buy packs to get good drops to stand a chance of getting high ranks - is that still the case?