Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

redleader posted:

i can't speak to the audiobook version, but i don't think you can get much cozier than becky chamber's a psalm for the wild-built and its sequel a prayer for the crown-shy

Oh yea I did do both of those on audiobook already, would be a great recommend though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Looking for some more low stakes/cozy SFF for audiobook listening. I've found that style works better in case my attention wanders. Some stuff that worked well was Murderbot, Wayfarers, Goblin Emperor and the sequels, Legends and Lattes and the sequel.

Anyone have any suggestions?

A Half-Built Garden
Light from Uncommon Stars
The Singing Hills Cycle novellas

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Looking for some more low stakes/cozy SFF for audiobook listening. I've found that style works better in case my attention wanders. Some stuff that worked well was Murderbot, Wayfarers, Goblin Emperor and the sequels, Legends and Lattes and the sequel.

Naomi Novik's stuff would probably fit the bill, especially her two standalone books Uprooted and Spinning Silver.

Rain Brain
Dec 15, 2006

in ghostlier demarcations, keener sounds

Lawrence Watt-Evans' Ethshar books haven't been mentioned here in a while and they definitely fit the bill. Low-stakes fantasy, slightly comedic, no one is horrifically evil. Plus the premises are fun - for example With A Single Spell is about a apprentice wizard whose teacher dies after teaching him a spell to light fires and nothing else, and now he has to find a way to make a living.

Also read (or listen to in this case) Bridge of Birds.

Rain Brain fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 15, 2024

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I've read most of the Ethshar books and all of Novik's stuff. The Golden Enclave audiobooks are really good. Thanks for the reminder on Bridge of Birds, always meant to get around to that one.

Stuporstar posted:

A Half-Built Garden
Light from Uncommon Stars
The Singing Hills Cycle novellas

And I'll look into these, thanks!

Edit: Picked up Light from Uncommon Stars and the first Singing Hills Cycle book. There doesn't appear to be an audiobook for Bridge of Birds, pretty surprised about that.

A Proper Uppercut fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 15, 2024

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

I've read most of the Ethshar books and all of Novik's stuff. The Golden Enclave audiobooks are really good. Thanks for the reminder on Bridge of Birds, always meant to get around to that one.

And I'll look into these, thanks!

Edit: Picked up Light from Uncommon Stars and the first Singing Hills Cycle book. There doesn't appear to be an audiobook for Bridge of Birds, pretty surprised about that.

Taking this as a sign to reread a Bridge of Birds

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Lois McMaster Bujold's Sharing Knife books.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Myrmidongs posted:

Just finished Children of Ruin (Book 2 if you don't remember the order from the title like me). After Children of Time, which is admittedly a hard act to follow, it was a little bit of a letdown. I don't think it did a good job adopting a central theme and wavered too much between "wow, we gotta learn to communicate", and concepts of virtual / simulation becomes so powerful it blurs the line between simulation a real thing. I think if Tchaikovsky had picked just one and stuck with it, he could have kept the trim narrative, or he had the option of adding a lot more pages and explore more thoroughly.

In any case, "Not great, not terrible."

I have an embarrassment of riches to choose from for the next book, and for the next few months.

Children of Memory
The Final Architecture series
Volume 12-20 of Aubrey / Maturin
The last half of the unabridged Count of Monte Cristo
The Traitor Baru Cormorant
Various Roman history nonfiction

Final Architecture series was pretty solid. Not as good as Children of Time, better than Children of Ruin. I also still need to read Children of Memory. And the Baru series Some of the characters in TFA series also end up more interesting than I expected at first glance. Particularly The Unspeakable Aklu, the Razor and the Hook.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 15, 2024

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Evil Fluffy posted:

I also still need to read Children of Memory.

Ehh. You won't hate the time you spend with it, but if you've got literally anything else on your to-read list, maybe bump that other thing up first.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

If podcasts are ok, I suggest the Lost Terminal podcast.

quote:

How do you learn to be human if there's no-one around to teach you?

A hopepunk podcast following the journey of a little satellite trying to understand what has happened after Earth stops returning his calls.

New episodes Mondays
the website https://lostterminal.com/
Please note the Seasons link leads to a page summarizing each season which may be spoilers. I suggest searching for the podcast wherever you listen to them instead The transcripts can be consistently found on the official patreon page, not the main website. I'll link it here. https://www.patreon.com/lostterminalpod

It is incredibly charming and endearing. It includes some pretty decent lgbt characters and even tactfully too, wow! I really enjoy the interactions between Seth and his friend(s), as well as the neat parts about telecommunications. Who knew ham radios and satellites were so fascinating? The episodes at usually 15 to 20 minutes long. But they can be shorter if you choose to skip the included music interlude in every episode.

It's also one of the few sources that portray (medium plot / recurring character spoiler) Dissociative Identity Disorder and the System members with any sort of tact, compassion, or realism to the real life version. Honestly theres a lot of compassion in this world setting and I half wish I lived there.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

grassy gnoll posted:

Ehh. You won't hate the time you spend with it, but if you've got literally anything else on your to-read list, maybe bump that other thing up first.

This is why I haven't read it yet, the reviews I saw for it made me decide to backlog it and other stuff like the Sanderson secret project novels came out and jumped the line ahead of it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

grassy gnoll posted:

I felt like it had an incredibly satisfying ending, but the other 80% of the book to get there was kind of a slog, and if I ever feel like I want to reread it I'll probably just read the corvid chapters + the ending and skip the rest, yeah. I don't at all regret reading it, though.

Fumblemouse
Mar 21, 2013

STANDARD
DEVIANT
Grimey Drawer

ToxicFrog posted:

Personally, I found a lot of the concepts interesting but didn't actually like the book itself. But I'm also the only person ITT with that opinion, as far as I can tell, so yeah, you should probably read it.

I have a blindsight theory, based on studiously avoiding all evidence to the contrary, that the people who find blindsight effective are those who can countenance the existence of Philosophical Zombies. Those for whom an imminent invasion of PZs is as worrying as an incursion of married bachelors find it an interesting thought experiment but not really that engaging.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

I felt like it had an incredibly satisfying ending, but the other 80% of the book to get there was kind of a slog, and if I ever feel like I want to reread it I'll probably just read the corvid chapters + the ending and skip the rest, yeah. I don't at all regret reading it, though.

Same here. The other plot was wonky and leaned a bit too hard on cliffhangers (the wrong term but like hiding info from the reader that characters had access to) to make an otherwise ok story appear more interesting than it really was.

Corvids owned though.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Fumblemouse posted:

I have a blindsight theory, based on studiously avoiding all evidence to the contrary, that the people who find blindsight effective are those who can countenance the existence of Philosophical Zombies. Those for whom an imminent invasion of PZs is as worrying as an incursion of married bachelors find it an interesting thought experiment but not really that engaging.

I've never heard of a PZ before! And after a brief jaunt to wikipedia, I can confirm that the idea of a PZ is a 'so what?' to me, and I didn't like Blindsight despite trying to multiple times, so I guess I'm +1 for your theory :v:

mystes
May 31, 2006

I guess my feeling about blindslight is slightly different in that I enjoyed it and liked how it incorporated these concepts into a story but I didn't find it that scary or concerning

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Fumblemouse posted:

StrixNebulosa posted:

I've never heard of a PZ before! And after a brief jaunt to wikipedia, I can confirm that the idea of a PZ is a 'so what?' to me, and I didn't like Blindsight despite trying to multiple times, so I guess I'm +1 for your theory :v:

The most plausible real life pop-sci prediction Blindsight makes is that corporate structures are paradise for sociopaths. If you're willing to conflate sociopathy with Blindsight's 'consciousness gets in the way' hypothesis it's not so much an imminent invasion as a fait accompli: the world is going to poo poo because the people in control aren't alive inside and don't care.

Of course I think most of us would attribute that dead-insideness to a combination of power, isolation, believing-their-own-bullshit and cocaine abuse, not some kind of neural hardwiring.

Anyway I think that theory's not quite there, because Blindsight's appeal isn't just in its science fictional premise, it's in the book being a really good "exploring a haunted house in space" story. It's Alien with an alien as surprising and upsetting as the chestburster, but coming from a whole different angle.

Compare to Foreigner, which has a similar 'aliens are fundamentally built different' philosophical premise but which gets most of its appeal from being a fantasy of manners starring an angry little bottom who has to endure great suffering in a land of unpredictable and dangerous tops. It's a book About First Contact, but it's also about a guy who can't get a laptop charger and has to go on long horse rides because he's stuck in a Ruritanian romance.

Blindsight similarly is About First Contact but it's also about a tiny isolated crew following a mysterious transmission, getting in spacesuits, and exploring a nightmarish megastructure where Something Might Be Alive. It's fun on that level even if you don't really care about the consciousness pessimism.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Holy cannoli. So - since I realized I was never going to actually read Blindsight (despite liking Peter Watts' Starfish) all the way through, I sat down and read its wikipedia article and.... wait. The big twist of the novel is that Watts is straight up stealing the plot twist from Brian M Stableford's David Lydyard trilogy? Like, I'll give him credit for mixing in hardcore nihilism and a weird future society and vampires, but I'm having the very... hipster experience of 'wait I've seen this before, but in something older and way less appreciated because no one but me has read it!'

I don't know how to feel about this, I'm not usually in a position to feel like a horrific snob in this way. (And they're both ripping from older authors, so there's nothing new under the sun!) (PS you might try reading Stableford's prose and be confused at how I could stomach it and not Watts, and to answer that: I just like his style more? Somehow? My tolerance for writing styles is all over the place and that's OK!)

Anyways, I've been wondering about the deal with Blindsight for ages and it's nice to finally know. Thanks, goons.

Spoiler thoughts: The idea that you inhabit a universe filled with people who can never understand you on a fundamental level just... isn't scary I guess? Sorry Lovecraft, Watts, Stableford. Sometimes fellow humans are too alien to be comprehensible and that's OK in my books.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

General Battuta posted:

The most plausible real life pop-sci prediction Blindsight makes is that corporate structures are paradise for sociopaths. If you're willing to conflate sociopathy with Blindsight's 'consciousness gets in the way' hypothesis it's not so much an imminent invasion as a fait accompli: the world is going to poo poo because the people in control aren't alive inside and don't care.

Of course I think most of us would attribute that dead-insideness to a combination of power, isolation, believing-their-own-bullshit and cocaine abuse, not some kind of neural hardwiring.

Anyway I think that theory's not quite there, because Blindsight's appeal isn't just in its science fictional premise, it's in the book being a really good "exploring a haunted house in space" story. It's Alien with an alien as surprising and upsetting as the chestburster, but coming from a whole different angle.

Compare to Foreigner, which has a similar 'aliens are fundamentally built different' philosophical premise but which gets most of its appeal from being a fantasy of manners starring an angry little bottom who has to endure great suffering in a land of unpredictable and dangerous tops. It's a book About First Contact, but it's also about a guy who can't get a laptop charger and has to go on long horse rides because he's stuck in a Ruritanian romance.

Blindsight similarly is About First Contact but it's also about a tiny isolated crew following a mysterious transmission, getting in spacesuits, and exploring a nightmarish megastructure where Something Might Be Alive. It's fun on that level even if you don't really care about the consciousness pessimism.

This is a better post than the one I made... but also the way you describe Blindsight makes it sound like something I want to read, and I know I've bounced off of it multiple times. How do you feel about writing a version of it that I'd enjoy, since you're done with Exordia?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Have you read SHIP OF FOOLS/UNTO LEVIATHAN by Richard Paul Russo? It's basically Catholic Blindsight.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

General Battuta posted:

Have you read SHIP OF FOOLS/UNTO LEVIATHAN by Richard Paul Russo? It's basically Catholic Blindsight.

*frantically running to buy that*

No, I haven't! Thank you!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

StrixNebulosa posted:

since you're done with Exordia?

Some of us want a sequel :colbert:

mystes
May 31, 2006

General Battuta posted:

a fantasy of manners starring an angry little bottom who has to endure great suffering in a land of unpredictable and dangerous tops.
Perhaps they can use this quote next time they reprint it

StrixNebulosa posted:

Spoiler thoughts: The idea that you inhabit a universe filled with people who can never understand you on a fundamental level just... isn't scary I guess? Sorry Lovecraft, Watts, Stableford. Sometimes fellow humans are too alien to be comprehensible and that's OK in my books.
Yeah I didn't find that part scary and I was sort of bemused to learn that watts really thinks it is, but I still think it's enjoyable if you're interested in stuff like philosophical zombies? Maybe not if you aren't though.

mystes fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Feb 15, 2024

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

General Battuta posted:

"Exploring a haunted house in space" actually sounds like something that should be extremely my jam, but by the time I got to those parts of Blindsight I was already completely disengaged from the story, so that aspect fell pretty flat for me.

Similarly, Ship of Fools sounded very appealing but I remember the "haunted house exploration" being a really minor part of the book and most of the book being about steadily escalating paranoia and infighting among the crew without ever leaving the ship. I want, like, haunted Rama or something.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ToxicFrog posted:

"Exploring a haunted house in space" actually sounds like something that should be extremely my jam, but by the time I got to those parts of Blindsight I was already completely disengaged from the story, so that aspect fell pretty flat for me.

Similarly, Ship of Fools sounded very appealing but I remember the "haunted house exploration" being a really minor part of the book and most of the book being about steadily escalating paranoia and infighting among the crew without ever leaving the ship. I want, like, haunted Rama or something.

So you should read Gideon the Ninth, which is about exploring a haunted house in space - but for real this time!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

mystes posted:

Yeah I didn't find that part scary and I was sort of bemused to learn that watts really thinks it is, but I still think it's enjoyable if you're interested in stuff like philosophical zombies? Maybe not if you aren't though.

The idea that everyone around you is just pretending to have the lights on inside and will gently caress you over the moment it's convenient—perhaps even hunt you like prey!—is pretty deeply connected to a lot of basic human fears imo. Finding out a loved one isn't who they pretended to be, seeing a community turn against you, being queer or a woman or a member of the wrong minority in some places and times (today included), hell, even the very basic 'I confided in Zelda but she told everything to Ganon and now I'm getting fired'...there are a lot of ways to run into that 'masks off' moment.

I don't think it's some obscure fear for nerds. It's pretty easy to understand. We don't know what's going on in other peoples' heads and sometimes it's not at all what we imagine.

Our world is also dominated right now by systems that seem to most of us to be very powerful but seemingly unconscious. Like everyone's taking orders but the orders aren't coming from anywhere, they're just dictated by a kind of distributed logic. Arguably I guess the orders are actually coming from various conference rooms where the light bending rich people exert their influence on each other, but from the perspective of a random citizen the world seems to be run by decerebrate gods. So Blindsight is also about the horror of the universe being controlled by things without intent or inner life, just a calculating drive to maximize their own survival. Like giant bacterial colonies, expanding.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

ToxicFrog posted:

You would likely enjoy Reynolds' Diamond Dogs. It's about exploring a spooky sci fi place rather than a ship, but it's also one of his better works.

Unless you want spooky versions of the Rama sequels, in which case you could watch Made in Abyss while you wait for the police to arrive.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I quite dig most of the book's ideas but I have to admit I couldn't quite buy into the proposal that unconscious alien life would interpret human speech as nonsensical, and therefore an attack. Just don't see what about the things people say about themselves and their feelings is fundamentally illegible to a nonsentient intelligence. If nonsentience is necessarily sociopathic, that would lead me to think of consciousness as a strong evolutionary advantage for social species.

FPyat fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 15, 2024

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

FPyat posted:

I quite dig most of the book's ideas but I have to admit I couldn't quite buy into the proposal that unconscious alien life would interpret human speech as nonsensical, and therefore an attack. Just don't see what about the things people say about themselves and their feelings is fundamentally illegible to a nonsentient intelligence.

If you think of it as bacteria exchanging plasmids instead of intelligences exchanging symbols it makes sense. If another bacteria hands you a long string of genetic information and you go to the trouble of translating it and it's just information that talks about itself — talks about itself vastly more than anything useful to your survival — then it's clearly not communication, it's a virus or a prion, or the cognitive equivalent of a .zip bomb. It's a thing that is propagating itself at the cost of your energy and time. That makes it an attack.

One of the things I think is most valuable about the book regardless of whether you buy into its premise (and I don't think even Watts does, entirely) is that it really forces you to confront your implicit anthropocentric assumptions about how an alien would think or communicate. It takes the idea that aliens might be unimaginable and incomprehensible seriously, but instead of throwing up its hands and casting Lovecraft, it uses science to pick a spot in the phase space of possible alien cognitions and say "well, this is deeply nonhuman, what would it be like to meet?"

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Feb 15, 2024

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

So you should read Gideon the Ninth, which is about exploring a haunted house in space - but for real this time!

I did and I liked it a lot! And I'm looking forward to rereading the whole thing when Alecto drops and getting The Full Mindfuck Experience™ from Harrow by reading it immediately after Gideon.

And yeah, thinking a bit more about what makes a "haunted house story" for me, a large part of it is the house-as-environment. I want the characters to loving marinate in it, gradually uncovering its secrets (probably at terrible cost to themselves). I want it to be as much character as setting.

Ship of Fools isn't a bad book, but it's haunted-house-as-inciting-incident; the Scoobies show up in their van, look around the entrance hall, go "gently caress this", and drive off, and the rest of the book is about how encountering this horrific thing has marked and changed them, how the sickness is inside them now (or perhaps always was) and there's no running from it -- which is a very different shape of story.

grassy gnoll posted:

You would likely enjoy Reynolds' Diamond Dogs. It's about exploring a spooky sci fi place rather than a ship, but it's also one of his better works.

Unless you want spooky versions of the Rama sequels, in which case you could watch Made in Abyss while you wait for the police to arrive.

Diamond Dogs is quite possibly my favourite Reynolds, yeah.

Apropos the Rama sequels, I remember the first ~80% of Rama II actually being pretty good and the last 20% being dire, but I also mostly remember it from the Sierra puzzle game adaptation, which dropped the last part of the book entirely and probably made a lot of other cuts. I regret reading book 3 and I never read book 4.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

Ship of Fools isn't a bad book, but it's haunted-house-as-inciting-incident; the Scoobies show up in their van, look around the entrance hall, go "gently caress this", and drive off, and the rest of the book is about how encountering this horrific thing has marked and changed them, how the sickness is inside them now (or perhaps always was) and there's no running from it -- which is a very different shape of story.

That's just not true. They go deep into the haunted house and find something very hosed up.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I reread the scrambler-view passage and the human transmissions it receives first include emotions and aesthetics, which seem more self-explanatory in their incomprehensibility to it, though I could imagine that they could be translated in Selfish Gene-evopsych terms into a Scramber's view of reality. That last two radio snippets - "Pay attention, now— Understand." Those kind of make me question how such an entity could create a spacefaring technological base, when I'd think that grappling with incomprehension of reality is fundamental to science.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Does an LLM need to grapple with understanding text in order to learn from it? I'd argue the LLM cannot experience anything, including understanding, incomprehension, or even reality. Scramblers work the same way.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
As of the current state of the art, I'd say that their lack of cognition inhibits the accuracy and logical coherence of their outputs. But who knows, maybe the next 10 years of iteration will make me eat my words.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

General Battuta posted:

That's just not true. They go deep into the haunted house and find something very hosed up.

I pulled out my copy to refresh my memory and it turns out I had completely forgotten about the haunted ship that occupies the middle ~20% of the book -- my memory of it is entirely dominated by the few chapters near the start where they visit Antioch and the entire back half of the book where they're trying to tow the alien ship away. Mea culpa.

Still, I stand by the general thrust of that statement; three-quarters of the book is entirely shipbound, either leadup to their forays into the haunted house(s), dealing with the aftermath, or ship politics. It's a very different vibe and not at all what I'd describe as a "haunted house story" or a "big dumb object story", both of which it was pitched to me as.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

The reason that several books and authors were mysteriously ruled "not eligible" in the 2023 Hugo Awards was because the Americans and Canadians on the committee took it upon themselves to voluntarily self-censor any nominees who they thought might offend the Chinese government. A member of the nomination committee leaked the emails where they compiled dossiers on nominees, along with an apology for her role in it.

https://file770.com/the-2023-hugo-awards-a-report-on-censorship-and-exclusion/

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
To not offend the sponsors, is the suspicion from that member of the nomination committee

quote:

“Investment deals valued at approximately $1.09 billion were signed during the 81st World Science Fiction Convention (Worldcon) held in Chengdu.”

As Lacey said in an interview, “The things that were marked ineligible, was it local pressure from the government or was it business interests? I can't answer that. From my knowledge, I would probably say business interests.”

But this has all been known from the start that it was the American and Canadians that removed nominees. They have been saying that from the start, even before they released emails showing it. The emails do show that none of the Chinese members of the nomination committee were involved at all though.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

General Battuta posted:

Does an LLM need to grapple with understanding text in order to learn from it? I'd argue the LLM cannot experience anything, including understanding, incomprehension, or even reality. Scramblers work the same way.

Bacteria don't need to understand the ocean or my kitchen counter to evolve to live there.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

FPyat posted:

I quite dig most of the book's ideas but I have to admit I couldn't quite buy into the proposal that unconscious alien life would interpret human speech as nonsensical, and therefore an attack. Just don't see what about the things people say about themselves and their feelings is fundamentally illegible to a nonsentient intelligence. If nonsentience is necessarily sociopathic, that would lead me to think of consciousness as a strong evolutionary advantage for social species.

Having three young special needs children while being slightly autistic myself. This is actually the part of the book that i relate most strongly to at this time. Especially while being bombarded with nonsense questions while utterly exhausted at the end of a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

General Battuta posted:

I am still low key mad that searle was completely right