Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Rand when he's trying to not visit Elayne, Saml Hake, that one Tairen lord who plays cards with Mat sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Would have said Fain but the show has other ideas

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I don't think Fain is described as ugly, he's just not super handsome.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
The Blue Aes Sedai Anaiya is literally always called out as specifically being plain, her only beauty being her smile, whenever she's on page. It's a bit weirdly insistent if you stop and think about it, tbh.

Pre-stilling Siuan is also usually described in terms like "handsome" although I guess that's still in the attractive spectrum, just not "really hot" like most everyone else.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I thought that Oliver wS gonna be the reincarnation of bergittas bae with all the descriptions of him and stuff.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I think that was the idea but he never pulls the trigger. I don’t known what difference it would make since Birgette couldn’t like hook up with him anyways.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Yeah that's right I guess it just stood out weird particularly since I marathoned the listening somewhat

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

bio347 posted:

The Blue Aes Sedai Anaiya is literally always called out as specifically being plain, her only beauty being her smile, whenever she's on page. It's a bit weirdly insistent if you stop and think about it, tbh.

Pre-stilling Siuan is also usually described in terms like "handsome" although I guess that's still in the attractive spectrum, just not "really hot" like most everyone else.

I feel like a white man born in the 40's in South Carolina calling a woman "handsome" is very much "I don't want to call her ugly BUT"

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

flashman posted:

This show is ok it would be better if I didn't read the books though imo

I've kind of settled on the show is fine/good, but a poor adaption of the books.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

NeurosisHead posted:

I feel like a white man born in the 40's in South Carolina calling a woman "handsome" is very much "I don't want to call her ugly BUT"

It’ll get you slapped if you’re a Starfleet captain

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Invalid Validation posted:

I think that was the idea but he never pulls the trigger. I don’t known what difference it would make since Birgette couldn’t like hook up with him anyways.
I dunno if it was ever the idea. We literally see Gaidal in T'A'R, and Olver has to have been born before the books even started. Even with the timey-wimey nature of the place, I don't think that flies.

He's just a really ugly kid. It happens.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah i don't think 'described as physically 'ugly' but is fairly charming' is really a unique trait that only one character ever can occupy, especially given how many others are described as being beautiful/handsome in some form. you're gonna have a few of them, and olver is very much set up as growing up in the footsteps of mat and the band of the red hand in terms of being kinda rogueish and having a certain sort of pull to him even if people think he's kinda goofy looking.

also i could have seen him having a relevant role in the theoretical mat/tuon followup story, especially if everyone was all a bit older when it would have taken place

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

please, olver was clearly a moiraine

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
https://vxtwitter.com/HollywoodHandle/status/1758661606471602389?t=pPgkCNYAm6oUMdymS2wE2w&s=19

Red Eagle (iWoT) continuing to do their grifter thing

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

gently caress those asshats

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

AI really is the new refuge for the unfathomably untalented, huh? Makes me root even harder for generative model-poisoning software like Nightshade to just absolutely ruin every Generative AI algorithm with garbage data and gently caress all these grifting hacks up royally.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Does iWoT have the rights to create new books in the Wheel of Time universe? That seems like a pretty obvious thing for Harriet and company *not* to have signed over to another entity.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
I believe the rights were signed when Jordan was still alive so I really doubt it.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Flowing Thot posted:

I've kind of settled on the show is fine/good, but a poor adaption of the books.

This is where I am too. I have enjoyed the show so far but think the majority of the diversions from the books are either unnecessary or worsen the overall plot or individual characterisations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I'm firmly on the "the show is a great adaptation" feeling.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

silvergoose posted:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

silvergoose posted:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

silvergoose posted:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The show has a lot of problems but the high notes are very high and for everything else the books are still right there.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I'm mostly missing the grace notes, the parts between the plot that livened the characters and their setting between hitting the major plot points (which I think they've also done a bad job hitting). Thom's relationship with the boys (lol remember him trying to convince to join him), Moiraine's cold facade cracking around Egwene as she helped her move along the path, the sort of heart warming stuff that made the series shine early on.

I was talking to someone irl and they were asking me if Nynaeve sucked as much in the books. No! Nynaeve is cool as hell!

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Nyneave is pretty awful by this point in the books.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Early Nynaeve can be fun on a re-read because you know where her character is going but yeah she sucks pretty hard early on

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Flowing Thot posted:

The show seems to have found stable footing for the most part but yeah it's much more enjoyable if you look at it as "inspired by" (or even another turn of the wheel with similar trappings) rather than a faithful adaptation of the books. Which is good enough, IMO. If they can continue to gradually improve each season and land big moments like Rhuidean, Dumai's Wells, or the Cleansing then a reassessment will be in order.

Shageletic posted:

I was talking to someone irl and they were asking me if Nynaeve sucked as much in the books. No! Nynaeve is cool as hell!

Nynaeve isn't bad in the books but she does get stuck in the role of overbearing older sister for way too long.

Fortunately Nynaeve in the show is amazing and owns every time she shows up, with the exception of the S2 finale.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Nynaeve is good once you realize she's the personification of dramatic irony and the unreliable narrator

She's a young adult trying to protect and corral a bunch of other stubborn young adults and the only tool she knows is to out-stubborn them

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 19, 2024

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
A tv show can't do the books justice without at least 20+ episodes per book. As it is, I think they did the best they could (apart from Loial's awful wig)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Ungratek posted:

She's cool in that one chapter in book 7

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ungratek posted:

I just did a reread and she comes off aloy better than what I remembered. She's a young adult trying to take care of ppl younger than her and shows signs of maturity throughout it.

Also liked how she helped Rand hide in the beginning of the second book, and her throwing twisters around and general badasserry in Falme, all points inexplicably not hit on in the show. It absolutely sucks that she ends on a point of failure there too.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

DarkHorse posted:

Nynaeve is good once you realize she's the personification of dramatic irony and the unreliable narrator

She's a young adult trying to protect and corral a bunch of other stubborn young adults and the only tool she knows is to out-stubborn them

E;fb

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I've always enjoyed her parallels to Mat, who's also a big dramatic irony unreliable narrator character.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

That blog I was reading along pointed out their similarity and how unintentionally funny they are, and how Branderson sort of botched it, thinking that Mat was more of a intentionally funny guy while Nynaeave was more straight laced. A rogue is a rogue, right? Lol.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Shageletic posted:

I just did a reread and she comes off aloy better than what I remembered. She's a young adult trying to take care of ppl younger than her and shows signs of maturity throughout it.

Yea, but you can't unread it the first time. The first read through it's very common for people to have an early negative opinion of her in the books. She's overbearing, hypocritical, and just flat wrong very frequently about big things.

But it's when you finish the story and see things later on that recontextualize her early story parts that she really shines.

The show can't have that. The books are done and published, and have been for decades. And I'm glad they're not trying to. They're already letting her shine, but are still bringing in some of those rough edges that define a lot of what Nyneave is going through. Like her constantly trying to just find Egwene in Falme and ignore literally all of the dangers. She's just trying to out-stubborn everyone. As is usual.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Shageletic posted:

Also liked how she helped Rand hide in the beginning of the second book, and her throwing twisters around and general badasserry in Falme, all points inexplicably not hit on in the show. It absolutely sucks that she ends on a point of failure there too.
A thing to consider is that there's somewhat decent odds that you first read the first books in the series a looooooong time ago. Even without the benefit of reread-sight, Nynaeve is gonna read a lot differently to a literal child than to someone more adult-aged.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Oasx posted:

A tv show can't do the books justice without at least 20+ episodes per book. As it is, I think they did the best they could (apart from Loial's awful wig)
Nah, you could do each of the books in LOTR-length movies (3 hours) tbh if needs be. Although in that format you have to cut a lot of course but you could still do an adaptation that would be similarly close as the LOTR movies were to their source material.
In the TV context, the show is crying out for GoT-length seasons. Those extra two to three hours are a lot.

20+ episodes is way too much. The early books in particular are basically linear road adventures, you don't actually want to slow down the pace too much.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Lack of episodes is a problem but a bigger problem seems to have been the nature of shooting live action has a lot of secondary issues that require rewriting and rearranging. Sets are expensive; if you hire actors you have to use them and can't just have them gently caress off for seasons at a time then reappear; special effects cost money; actors sometimes quit, and covid happens, among other limitations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Lack of episodes is a problem but a bigger problem seems to have been the nature of shooting live action has a lot of secondary issues that require rewriting and rearranging. Sets are expensive; if you hire actors you have to use them and can't just have them gently caress off for seasons at a time then reappear; special effects cost money; actors sometimes quit, and covid happens, among other limitations.

Problems that are less of a problem with an animated series, and yet another reason why WoT makes more sense in that format. (As has been suggested numerous times, likely even by you in this very thread.)