Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

lines posted:

Just use an emulator.

No, i should be able to plug my cart/cd into the latest console and play it with no problems just like i can with my windows95 cds on windows10 and my vhs taprs on my combo dvd player bluray player

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Buy an analogue whateverthefuck for your chosen console

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

goblin week posted:

PS5 came out like two years ago wtf

It's been three years and three months with no games.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
IMHO through deep analysis I found that the PS5 not only has some games available to purchase, but actually a decent amount are good. Even the ones that cost 40 bajillion dollarydoos to make that people love to dunk on like GOW ragnarok (I realise this is a ps4 game but it has ps5 specific features). You can also play Slay the Spire on it so that's all your multi-platform gaming needs fulfilled

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Ragnarok was really trite and boring story wise, and the combat was worse than the first one.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

ShoogaSlim posted:

how the hell is ps3 "worst" when it introduced us to the uncharted games in the first place? the last of us 1 was a ps3 title a year before it was released on ps4.

it had killzone 2 which is the only time sony seriously competed with microsoft for a good online fps game. resistance was cool, too.

it had warhawk. littlebigplanet which was experimental and whimsical and hella fun/innovative.

it was also everyone's first blu-ray player.

y'all crazy

PS3 is also an absolute treasure trove of incredible arcade racing games - i.e, the greatest genre - that like gently caress can you buy, access or play on modern systems or even PC now without emulation.

(As is the 360. Hard to believe that arcade racers not only used to exist but that there used to be exclusive ones)

PS3 also feels like it was the final generation of Sony's original creative weirdness.

Infact the more I think about it, if you're ranking Sony consoles by which of them are the most interesting to pick up in 2024 and provide the most unique appeal, I think there's a solid argument for the PS3 being top.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Sakurazuka posted:

That's what emulation is for

Well yeah obviously!
But I wanna play a legal rom someday :(

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

goblin week posted:

Well yeah obviously!
But I wanna play a legal rom someday :(

Theres a few on the psn store

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
PS3 was a gigantic piece of poo poo but it had (Demon's) Soul(s). Still scrapped it so I could get a copy of Fallout 3 that was semi functional though

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Catching up on 2023 games, I'm nearing the end of Atlas Fallen. I grabbed it in one of the big end of the year sales for cheap, but only finished the first zone before heading out of the country for a bit (Should have bought it for the deck). Finally got back to it yesterday.

It's quite a nice bit of AA action gaming. The combat system is unique, satisfying, and has a comfortable amount of challenge on the highest difficulty. The build variety is also huge. Level design and "quests" remind me a lot of the PS1/2 era of games like Jak and Daxter, where you have a semi open zone with a variety of challenges to complete before moving on to the next area. Level design in the second and third areas is quite nice and visually striking art design wise (tech wise it looks a bit last gen). The first area (after the intro) is unfortunately the weakest of the three by a lot (and the only one ever shown in previews) but at least it's also rather short.

It's not a mind blowing experience, but it tries a lot of unique stuff and is quite solid for the asking price. Sorta short (Think I'll be finishing in under 10 hours of total play going by the save file). Certainly worth grabbing while on sale.

I also played through Avatar last week because I wanted to be wowed by some next-gen graphics. It achieved that for sure. In the running for the most visually stunning (tech wise) games I've ever seen. Otherwise, it's a Far Cry game but with better traversal.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

kirbysuperstar posted:

I don't think anyone has associated white with mac since the G4/late PPC days

Bugblatter posted:

The late 00s had some white iMacs… but yeah it’s been a while since white was even an option.

Thanks, but accurately depicting device colours was not really what I was going for in my shitpost.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

goblin week posted:

anyway remakes and remasters are criminal if they don't sell us the originals either. i don't give a gently caress about "pixel remasters" i wanna buy the original rom

Opinions on the MediEvil PS4 re-remake may be mixed, but I was delighted when the original was an unlockable and think that should be the standard going forward :colbert:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DeadButDelicious posted:

Opinions on the MediEvil PS4 re-remake may be mixed, but I was delighted when the original was an unlockable and think that should be the standard going forward :colbert:

It should always be the standard. Give me the original + your update attempt. Make too many updates and if sucks to be you but I expect all of them to be included.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Hopper posted:

Thanks, but accurately depicting device colours was not really what I was going for in my shitpost.

Nerds ruin everything

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Do we know if the carryover bonus from ff7remake into rebirth needs a full clear file or just any save file at all? I’d like to avoid doing the ps4->5 file transfer if I don’t have to

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Bumhead posted:

PS3 is also an absolute treasure trove of incredible arcade racing games - i.e, the greatest genre - that like gently caress can you buy, access or play on modern systems or even PC now without emulation.

(As is the 360. Hard to believe that arcade racers not only used to exist but that there used to be exclusive ones)

PS3 also feels like it was the final generation of Sony's original creative weirdness.

Infact the more I think about it, if you're ranking Sony consoles by which of them are the most interesting to pick up in 2024 and provide the most unique appeal, I think there's a solid argument for the PS3 being top.

Wish we got like 3 or 4 more Split/Seconds. :cry:

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
https://www.facebook.com/share/NZfiQWgpxn4ZPfFT/?mibextid=WC7FNe

LFGG

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
The stench of predatory microtransactions on that is worse than any locker room smell.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I am not logging into Facebook to find out whatever that is

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Arist posted:

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

Arist posted:

https://x.com/on3sports/status/1758149570981200324?s=46

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
EA Sports College Football. Wasn’t worth the click

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
NCAA'14 taught me to recognize the RPO and what the defense is looking out for so I'll always remember it fondly for that.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Arist posted:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Sports games are cool

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I will cherish forever the almost complete collection of trophies for Don Bradman's Ashes Cricket '09 on my psn profile that my aussie flatmate got for me before he realised he could make his own profile on my ps3

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

I'm actually cautiously hopeful for this as long as they don't completely gently caress up the monetization and content delivery. I haven't played a football game since the 16-bit era but I've since gotten back into the sport as an adult (college only, not NFL) so I've been waiting for this one.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Are they still not paying the players

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Arist posted:

Its in the game

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Arist posted:

They are now, that's why it can come back.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

that's good then

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I want to be excited about this, I should be, but its EA Sports.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

IGN put up some footage of No Rest for the Wicked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTgQu2y_HDk

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Also, here's some Forever Skies, which for some reason is not in VR!?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc_rYyTm6Qg

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

thebardyspoon posted:

I get caring about exclusives if you can only buy one console or the other. So with this Xbox news I kinda get the people who are just a bit bummed out if they bought the Xbox based on what they thought was only going to be available on that console (or the PC of course but that is more expensive these days) and now it turns out they apparently maybe could have bought a PS5 and been good, we'll see how it actually shakes out of course. Of course I don't sympathise with the super console warrior fanboys melting down, I think Microsoft made a bit of an error tying themselves to some of those folks quite so much in the last gen marketing wise. Obviously not gonna actually hurt them in a way they care about but it's not a good look for someone you've shouted out on your big presentations to be loudly publicly filling their nappy because of stuff you're doing.

So far the PS5 has been worth it for me because I've been able to play a bunch of games that my PC can't play, the RE4 Remake and such, the actual Sony exclusives have been a little bit underwhelming just imo, I liked Returnal and Astros playroom quite a bit though I am too poo poo at Returnal, Spiderman 2 and GoW Ragnarok were a bit underwhelming but still like, broadly good and I enjoyed the bit of Horizon I played but for some reason it didn't grab me enough to make me continue playing it. Rebirth in a couple weeks is probably gonna be making a strong case for the purchase having been worth it I think.

As a person who spent the vast majority of his adult life broke as hell, I hate exclusives. As a person who is no longer broke as hell I still hate them in concept, but care less.

I wish something like the Steamdeck was the default model for consoles. The sooner we get to that reality the better. SKUs can just be judged on their firmware/hardware features and nothing else. I doubt we are gonna see that reality any time soon, but I do think it can/will happen on a long enough timeline.

Also, the other big annoying thing about exclusives, especially from the Sony end of the spectrum, is they demonstrate everything that is loving wrong with the AAA space. They probably sell TVs. They exist to exhibit tech and little else. Like, these things don’t have much replay value. At least with a movie, I can be excited at the prospect of another watch, because the time investiture is pretty low. Most of the AAA stuff nowadays is not only hellishly expensive to make, but people throw fits if they don’t get what they consider their due in game length. Skyrocketing entitled gamer demands plus skyrocketing dev costs plus diminishing returns on technical achievement coalesce into this humungous (imho) waste of time and money on what are ultimately pretty shallow experiences.

That’s not to say the big Sony games aren’t fun. I think they all are to some degree. But when this becomes the formula I think it represents something altogether a little more bothersome.

Thinking about giant budget games makes me tired as hell.

Rebirth is gonna kick rear end, fortunately.

E: should clarify my complaint is aimed at single-player narrative stuff mostly. Like I’m not looping in things like Demon’s Souls remake, Returnal—Housemark is an arcade dev at heart—etc.

Alongside all this, I really wanna play Helldivers 2, but I’m worried my blind rear end won’t be able to. Can anyone tell me how much pinpoint aim you need to play it? I did see you can change the reticle size and stuff. And I know it’s got tons of heavy ordinance, so from that angle it probably wouldn’t be that bad for me.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 15, 2024

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Is today the day we find out if PS5 is getting the bad Bethesda game or not

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

History Comes Inside! posted:

Is today the day we find out if PS5 is getting the bad Bethesda game or not

yeah in like 40 minutes. Starfield on xbox was bad, it ran at a 30fps cap and felt terrible.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

I said come in! posted:

yeah in like 40 minutes. Starfield on xbox was bad, it ran at a 30fps cap and felt terrible.

I got it on my PC, played it at 120fps and it was still terrible.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s the first Bethesda game I haven’t bought even though as a sci-fi guy who likes Bethesda slop it was practically laser targeted at me. It just looks so boring.

Not even a Gamepass trial tempted me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica
Human brains are so funny. Been looking forward to playing Alan Wake 2 so much, huge fan of Remedy. But downloaded ACVI at the same time and tried it first. After the arcade robot bliss I booted up AW2 and when it started with you playing as a naked fat man in the woods my brain was so immediately unstimulated I didn't make it longer than 30 seconds.