Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Gotta go for a motorcycle ride tomorrow afternoon when it's 70 as it's raining on sunday.

spoiled here i know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:hmmyes:

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

I KNOW WHAT I GOT

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Jazzzzz posted:

I KNOW WHAT I GOT

Surprised it isn’t listed as a KTM

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

All that work and they kept the stock mirrors

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

TheBacon posted:

Surprised it isn’t listed as a KTM

For the price it might as well be.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Deeters posted:

All that work and they kept the stock mirrors

:lol:

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
How sore is this guy tomorrow? And fasten your drat helmet straps..

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Is that even enough time for adrenaline to do anything? How is he standing up?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I don't think he got hit at all

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I figured at the very least his brain would be swirling around inside his skull a little bit

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

10/10 stuck the landing

Even gave the driver the shrugging arms

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
"Is that all you got?"

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Rusty posted:

"Is that all you got?"

If it were a Leslie Nielsen movie he’d say this and a tiger would jump on him from off screen…

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
The spin pulled some energy out of the system but going from 15mph to 0mph in a frame or two will do a number on your body no matter what.

I know I would react the same way though. It reminds me of a quote from this Tim Kreider essay about cycling in NYC:

quote:

I suspect that if I am killed while biking, the state of mind in which I am likeliest to die is extreme annoyance.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

His legs definitely got hit hard by the tank and/or triples. Hard enough to flip him around.

I’m guessing he didn’t snap his femur, but he’s feeling that in his legs tomorrow

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
He could still have a concussion just from his brain bouncing around in his skull, too. We’re just not built to go from 30 to 0.

Or maybe he’s just sore tomorrow and that’s it. The human body is both resilient and made of papier-mâché.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Kawasaki has launched a hybrid motorcycle. Ninja 7 hybrid .450cc P twin + integrated electric motor with asmall 50v 27ah electric battey. No separate charge port for the battery.

Electric drive used to boost acceleration.

227kg. 14 liter gas tank.

https://www.kawasaki.eu/en/Motorcycles/EV_HEV/Ninja_7_Hybrid.html

Interesting tech, but not something I'll go for soon.

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009
Would have hoped for more torque with the electric motor kicking in some power. That's one of the best draws of electric bikes and that seems okish?

Though until they sort out battery weight and duration on bikes, hybrid might be a step in the right direction at least.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
1. Should be a series hybrid, i.e. an electric bike with a range extender. "Boost acceleration," really? Just make the engine a little bigger. And it's not like bikes need better gas mileage. This is dumb.

2. I see that Kawasaki still hasn't fixed the gas leak in their design studio

e: apparently it can do a Prius low-speed electric-only mode. That's something I guess

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 3, 2024

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

A bit bummed it's not a PHEV. One of the main draws of hybrid cars to me is not needing the combustion engine at all for shorter trips, but without plug in charging you have to plan ahead and switch to charging mode while driving if you want the battery to have a decent charge next time.

I'll still test ride one if I get the chance and it's good to see that at least one major manufacturer is starting to dabble in bringing (H)EV tech to bikes. I test rode a Zero and loved it, but it still feels like a niche company with niche product pricing.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

This is dumb.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Sick, another parallel twin to add to the parallel twin pile

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009

It's Kawi, they have a metric or something for cramming the twin into every model everywhere.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
same

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
That’s obviously the new thread title, Slavvy says it like 6 times a week

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

I don't even walk out of my apartment anymore, always take my bike. No trip is too short.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
This weekend we had our first OEM motorcycle show since Jan 2020. I'm still feeling pretty raw about being charged for a full price ticket when like half the major manufacturers just didn't bother showing up. If a vendor list had been published earlier in the week I'd have stayed home.

I guess mea culpa for not doublechecking the day of, but honestly the idea that the likes of BMW, Ducati, KTM, Kawasaki, and Suzuki would play hooky didn't even occur.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I didn't know they were still doing those at all. It's a shame because walking around gawking at bikes and trying on some random gear was always fun.

I was looking for demo rides at various dealers today and couldn't find any of those either. Not sure if it's just too early in the year to have a schedule though.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

We had the same here in Stockholm a couple of weeks ago, a bike show that used to be pretty fun pre-covid finally came back. And whoof what a let down. At least some of the major manufacturers were there. Kawasaki, Honda, Suzuki, BMW, Ducati, Indian, Triumph. Notably missing were KTM and HD, but HD seem like they never bother with any bike events here. All of them had pretty small and basic displays though and there wasn't really any energy in the place. I had planned to spend 2-3 hours there as that's what it used to take, but after 45 minutes I had seen everything twice and left. I spent a few minutes chatting with the Kawi rep about the Ninja 7 Hybrid and that was pretty much the high point of my visit.

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009

Deeters posted:

I didn't know they were still doing those at all. It's a shame because walking around gawking at bikes and trying on some random gear was always fun.

I was looking for demo rides at various dealers today and couldn't find any of those either. Not sure if it's just too early in the year to have a schedule though.

A lot of dealers are getting real stingy with the test rides or have no demo stock. Triumph was one of the few that just chucked keys and said 'tell me what you think''.

Even got handed the keys of a salesman's personal ride as they had none of the T120 in so he just said to take his for a spin.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Collateral Damage posted:

We had the same here in Stockholm a couple of weeks ago, a bike show that used to be pretty fun pre-covid finally came back. And whoof what a let down. At least some of the major manufacturers were there. Kawasaki, Honda, Suzuki, BMW, Ducati, Indian, Triumph. Notably missing were KTM and HD, but HD seem like they never bother with any bike events here. All of them had pretty small and basic displays though and there wasn't really any energy in the place. I had planned to spend 2-3 hours there as that's what it used to take, but after 45 minutes I had seen everything twice and left. I spent a few minutes chatting with the Kawi rep about the Ninja 7 Hybrid and that was pretty much the high point of my visit.

I hung around at the test riding area and saw at least two people bin the Kawi E1. A+ would gawk again.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Very narrowly avoided my bike being stolen (again) from behind my shop yesterday. Like, interrupted a guy wheeling it towards a clapped-out pickup that already had another bike in the bed. A minute or two later and it would have been gone and I'd be trying to get the local PD to give af about following the tracker (unlikely).

Why can't I have just one solitary thing in this world that brings me joy without people trying to gently caress with it. Is that really too much to ask?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

bizwank posted:

interrupted a guy wheeling it towards a clapped-out pickup that already had another bike in the bed

How did that conversation go?

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

The interruption was me banging on my roll-up garage door before unlatching and opening it (which took ~10 seconds); by the time I was out there he was already in the truck and leaving. Turns out they tried to nab another bike at the other end of my alley just a few minutes earlier too. Lowest form of life.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
that sucks, dude. you are in seattle, right? ...where did i put that disk lock

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

bizwank posted:

The interruption was me banging on my roll-up garage door before unlatching and opening it (which took ~10 seconds); by the time I was out there he was already in the truck and leaving. Turns out they tried to nab another bike at the other end of my alley just a few minutes earlier too. Lowest form of life.

Did he drop the bike and run? Or did he respectfully set down the kickstand before fleeing?

Sorry for all the questions, catching someone in the act is fascinating and rare. And I'm trying to determine which circle of hell this being should inhabit.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Yeah in Seattle, Georgetown to be specific. Dumb thing is I have a big chain that I bought to prevent/deter this very thing, just have been lazy/forgetful in looping it through the wheel when I get to work. Not going to be forgetting it any more.

Surprisingly enough the gentleman actually stopped to put the kickstand down. Here's the clip if you want to see what a brazen daylight theft looks like; they scurry off as soon as I bang on the door prior to opening it, and you can see the owner of the other bike they were casing standing at the far end of the alley: https://video.nest.com/clip/cf456f9bfcbc48fda607aa0fba3a108a.mp4

Someone tried to break into my shop about a month prior through that same door, did a couple hundred bucks worth of damage to it in the process. I filed a police report with video, photos, etc. but never heard even a peep back about it. Don't know if I'll even bother reporting this for all the good it will do; the truck had no plates front or back and is apparently driving around like that unimpeded by local law enforcement.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

bizwank posted:

Yeah in Seattle, Georgetown to be specific. Dumb thing is I have a big chain that I bought to prevent/deter this very thing, just have been lazy/forgetful in looping it through the wheel when I get to work. Not going to be forgetting it any more.

Surprisingly enough the gentleman actually stopped to put the kickstand down. Here's the clip if you want to see what a brazen daylight theft looks like; they scurry off as soon as I bang on the door prior to opening it, and you can see the owner of the other bike they were casing standing at the far end of the alley: https://video.nest.com/clip/cf456f9bfcbc48fda607aa0fba3a108a.mp4

Someone tried to break into my shop about a month prior through that same door, did a couple hundred bucks worth of damage to it in the process. I filed a police report with video, photos, etc. but never heard even a peep back about it. Don't know if I'll even bother reporting this for all the good it will do; the truck had no plates front or back and is apparently driving around like that unimpeded by local law enforcement.

Duuuuude.

My heart was racing watching that video. Good god I would have erupted. gently caress these people. They're career criminals. You can see how they cruise through and drive just past where the bike is. They casually look through the scrap pile so they have an excuse for their suspicious behavior. I can't tell if the older man didn't want to take it or if they were worried about lifting it up.

I'm genuinely surprised they didn't use the door as a ramp. I would be installing a steel anchor in that concrete if you can. I'm surprised they didn't see the camera or maybe they did and didn't care.

100% if they got caught, they would have used the excuse they thought it was their, or their friends' stolen bike and they were trying to recover it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

gently caress those assholes, but I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the care he took putting down the kickstand. He even put his hand out when he thought it might not be stable.