Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It's the biological determinist Saturn so it has to be an important genetic relationship. He doesnt believe in silly hokum like inherited wills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the string of insane chapters like this reminds me that one piece is ending

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.

oddium posted:

the string of insane chapters like this reminds me that one piece is ending

Stop with this evil posting we have another 15 years in the tank

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

*pokes oda's decaying corpse with stick* "Chapter?"

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
People being hard on Zoro, but he's fighting Awakened Lucci and he's still in no bandana mode. If this was Bleach, that alone would say it's gg.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Devon copying Saturn is an interesting development! Definitely tits that BB will be the ultimate villain of the series instead of Imu. Also ups the idea that he isn't making it off the island alive -- which could be the result of Vegapunk and Kuma sacrificing themselves to deal a fatal blow.

Caring about power scales is a weird way to read a story that goes such lengths to get past every arc being a series of tournament 1v1's.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Wheres Lafitte?

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Mfw Oda did Zoro dirty

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Devon copying Saturn is an interesting development! Definitely tits that BB will be the ultimate villain of the series instead of Imu. Also ups the idea that he isn't making it off the island alive -- which could be the result of Vegapunk and Kuma sacrificing themselves to deal a fatal blow.

Caring about power scales is a weird way to read a story that goes such lengths to get past every arc being a series of tournament 1v1's.
BB is so interesting because he's clearly being set up to be a major player, but so far we have seen nothing except preparation, we have no idea what his origin or goals are, he's at the same time an obnoxious jarring presence and simultaneously a complete enigma. 98% of OP worldbuilding seems to ultimately come down to the Void Century, Imu and the elder stars, so the natural endgame seems like it would be Punch Imu, but BB's presence on the sidelines means we have no idea what is actually going to happen.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Rohan Kishibe posted:

People being hard on Zoro, but he's fighting Awakened Lucci and he's still in no bandana mode. If this was Bleach, that alone would say it's gg.

the man still has 100% of his blood so he's holding back as much as he possibly can

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Sanji can block lasers now huh... I better get my rear end in a redemption arc... or I'm FINISHED.

I laughed my rear end off at this post, thank you

they want shady
May 11, 2013
What a good chapter

Luffy's reaction and Vegapunk's very specific phrasing of "If I move now I'll die" make me think that Stella might just make it out alive, meaning Saturn came to the island to gently caress poo poo up and all he got was hosed over lol

Bonney asking Luffy to show her how it's done was really cute and Booming Dawn Gatling was great.

Honestly very excited to see what Blackbeard's got up his sleeve and wondering how copying Saturn will come into play since if he comes out of this alive there might be less mileage to get out of copying his appearance (does Catarina's power just copy appearances or also powers? dunno if that's ever been stated). Might be enough that they can use it to get Seraphims and Pacifistas off their backs whenever they want.

Excited to see what Blackbeard's whole deal is in general, think we know more about Imu than him at this point lol

That said the best part was still:

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Sanji's cooking, Zoro's doddering

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

This is great because I think it's basically the first time we've ever seen him bothered at all. He's so lackadaisical that he's hard to read. Even when he fought Marco it was all played off as a semi joke. But he seemed legit SHOCKED at that. Hell, even Rayleigh blocked Kizaru's leg, not the laser itself.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

How did Blackbeard know Saturn would be there? Oda made a big deal of how secretive Saturn was being, but his crew knew exactly where to be. It’s weird!

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
This chapter is gonna be peak Fraud Piece material.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

How did Blackbeard know Saturn would be there? Oda made a big deal of how secretive Saturn was being, but his crew knew exactly where to be. It’s weird!

Probably Laffitte

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

he didn't. devon seems pleasantly surprised she was able to touch him

Red Perchiyama
Jul 23, 2017
Honestly, with the "it made our job a lot easier", I think they didn't actually know Saturn himself was going to be here. The plan was probably to copy Vegapunk or someone else on Egghead who'd be able to get close, then work their way up the chain until they get into the inner circle.

Then Devon shows up, Saturn's already there, and she's just going "well no sense NOT skipping to the end"

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

tbp posted:

he didn't. devon seems pleasantly surprised she was able to touch him

i could be insanely wrong about this btw

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I love that as we're getting towards the end of the series and we see who really are the top dogs in the world that this just means an ever increasing roster of frauds. Can't wait for Blackbeard to be revealed as a fraud when Luffy takes him down in the penultimate chapter after a grueling fifty chapter slugfest.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the real burning question on my mind now is how much blackbeard knows about the WG, five elders, and history of the world at large, because devon's reaction to seeing the true form of one of the leaders of the world is not what you'd expect if they were going in blind. i'm assuming kuzan must've spilled the beans at some point, which makes me think that blackbeard's not merely angling at generic pirate conquest but at striking at the empty throne and whatever's underneath mary geoise that doflamingo hinted at ages ago

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Immediately hoped somebody was gonna post this :sickos:

What an amazing chapter (water wet etc)

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

God, I need this on a t-shirt.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Vermain posted:

the real burning question on my mind now is how much blackbeard knows about the WG, five elders, and history of the world at large, because devon's reaction to seeing the true form of one of the leaders of the world is not what you'd expect if they were going in blind. i'm assuming kuzan must've spilled the beans at some point, which makes me think that blackbeard's not merely angling at generic pirate conquest but at striking at the empty throne and whatever's underneath mary geoise that doflamingo hinted at ages ago

he's gonna wear the big hat

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

guaranteeing you that there'll be a day 1 edit of the anime version of that image with the curb your enthusiasm theme

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

lol

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>
#include <SaberToothed_Tiger.h>
#include <Tyrannosaurus.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice

Ah hahaha

Man, the giants is such a fantastic payoff after like what... a decade? The "My Masters!" panel would have been a winner in any normal chapter, but gently caress... we also got Booming White Gatling and Kizaru Face. One Piece chapters are an absolute overabundance of riches right now.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Zakutambah posted:

Ah hahaha

Man, the giants is such a fantastic payoff after like what... a decade? The "My Masters!" panel would have been a winner in any normal chapter, but gently caress... we also got Booming White Gatling and Kizaru Face. One Piece chapters are an absolute overabundance of riches right now.

Dorry and Broggy debuted in 1999

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Caidin posted:

to be fair, the other giants that implicitly went to go grab them were introduced in Ennies Lobby, so I guess it would be a decade depending on how you look at it. Or like fifteen years, idk when that was being published.

i wonder how the very, very oldest One Piece fans appear, I was internally hooting and hollering at the panel of the giants raiding the island, and I got in at like 2009. I expected Elbaf to appear at some point, but mostly as a quick month-long pit stop and never…this.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

lol

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they found out that saturn was going to egghead and then intercepted him there. blackbeard definitely has a lot of spies in the wg, some of whom probably don't even know they are spies thanks to lafitte. what made devon's job easier is that saturn left his lair at all.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Last Celebration posted:

to be fair, the other giants that implicitly went to go grab them were introduced in Ennies Lobby, so I guess it would be a decade depending on how you look at it. Or like fifteen years, idk when that was being published.

i wonder how the very, very oldest One Piece fans appear, I was internally hooting and hollering at the panel of the giants raiding the island, and I got in at like 2009. I expected Elbaf to appear at some point, but mostly as a quick month-long pit stop and never…this.

They did intend to go get them but I think they just went back to Elbaf since the Strawhats told them their captains were still dueling so there would be no point. I'm sure what exactly led them out of Little Garden at this point.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>
#include <SaberToothed_Tiger.h>
#include <Tyrannosaurus.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice

Caidin posted:

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Kizaru shook face is :kiss:

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Saturn is one of the most powerful people in the world, Devon can just copy his looks and call it a day without Imu and the others sensing that it's not the same haki man? I don't buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Not sure how strong Saturn actually is when it comes to the way we normally think of it in the series. It seems more like he uses some weird new kind of power and can regenerate.