Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best in franchise
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Namtab
View Results

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Willo567 posted:

ive said it before, but re-reading it as an adult, Calvin and hobbes feel incredibly misanthropic and bleak once you look past the strips about calvin's imagination

That's a mirror you're holding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Willo567 posted:

ive said it before, but re-reading it as an adult, Calvin and hobbes feel incredibly misanthropic and bleak once you look past the strips about calvin's imagination

I truly don't mean this in a harsh or overly nostalgic way, but that's why it was so good. It didn't coddle its audience.

If you got into Calvin and Hobbes at the exact right age, you were experiencing it at a time when you were getting sick of overly pleasant children's media, and craving something that actually reflected the friction with the world you were experiencing at that period in your life.

Arist fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Feb 16, 2024

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Willo567 posted:

monitor

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

oh god, what just happened to my layout of reddit

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

You can't call yourself a true Nuthead until you've seen It's The Girl In The Red Truck, Charlie Brown, a special which does not feature Charlie Brown and is mostly live action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ndys1VvdLII

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

GateOfD posted:

oh god, what just happened to my layout of reddit

you should stay over there and not report back

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Arist posted:

I truly don't mean this in a harsh or overly nostalgic way, but that's why it was so good. It didn't coddle its audience.

If you got into Calvin and Hobbes at the exact right age, you were experiencing it at a time when you were getting sick of overly pleasant children's media, and craving something that actually reflected the friction with the world you were experiencing at that period in your life.

when i was a kid i didnt really connect to calvin because all the strip was to me was a kid and his tiger getting into trouble and it was hilarious. i didnt really notice calvin being very withdrawn from and skeptical of people until i was older.

also, this is my other observation, but i'm not really a fan of calvin's character past 1991. felt like watterson decided to get rid of any positive character traits calvin had to make him into a mouth piece for everything watterson hated, and felt like i was being lectured a lot.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Skill issue

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Waffleman_ posted:

You can't call yourself a true Nuthead until you've seen It's The Girl In The Red Truck, Charlie Brown, a special which does not feature Charlie Brown and is mostly live action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ndys1VvdLII

snoopy's mysterious family members were pretty much the newspaper comic equivalent of the bleach espada and 8 year old me would get hyped whenever i'd see a new one

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Furnaceface posted:

Are you guys not getting all this snow+freezing rain?

I have feet.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think that's plainly ridiculous given how often Calvin's perspective is mocked or portrayed as facile. At worst, Watterson was making fun of himself.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Charles Schulz literally said he had intended Red Truck to be his Citizen Kane

like that's a direct quote from Sparky himself lmao

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
i bet he succeeded

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Also, and I mean this in the gentlest way possible, explaining the exact year Calvin and Hobbes "fell off" is pretty funny. It's like a full-grown adult coming up to me and telling me that SpongeBob hasn't been good since Season 3

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Big Leg posted:

snoopy's mysterious family members were pretty much the newspaper comic equivalent of the bleach espada and 8 year old me would get hyped whenever i'd see a new one

Charlie Browns mom pulling up with a giant 3 on her back

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Arist posted:

I think that's plainly ridiculous given how often Calvin's perspective is mocked or portrayed as facile. At worst, Watterson was making fun of himself.

i just found it grating after a while and wasn't a fan of that direction of calvin's character, considering that while he was selfish and bratty before, he still had enough sympathetic moments that made you root for him, which i felt watterson heavily downplayed and hurt calvin's character.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Furnaceface posted:

Are you guys not getting all this snow+freezing rain?

After watching this :canada: and getting a kick-rear end pair of boots that are both waterproof and rated for walking on ice uphill, I no longer care how bad winter gets.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Willo567 posted:

i just found it grating after a while and wasn't a fan of that direction of calvin's character, considering that while he was selfish and bratty before, he still had enough sympathetic moments that made you root for him, which i felt watterson heavily downplayed and hurt calvin's character.

this is essentially an artifact of consuming a comic strip in compilation form. same with tomochan. samey gags work much better at comic strip pace

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Did the Japanese Peanuts commercials get posted yet, too lazy to go back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wgjRiDmLf8

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Woodstock is cute

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
woodstock vs tweety bird, who wins.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The audience!!!!!

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Fluffdaddy posted:

Charlie Browns mom pulling up with a giant 3 on her back

me when weirdly fluffy or extremely fat beagle shows up in the monday strip: holy poo poo... this is getting intense

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

[loudly from the back] Get Fuzzy was pretty good too

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

as a little kid finding this in a secondhand book store significantly altered my conception of what a comic strip could offer

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
gently caress yeah, I got a bunch of bloom county books at yard sales for next to nothing as a kid, and even if I didn't understand...the majority of it, what I could understand was fantastic

It and calvin and hobbes were my big favorites

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Ohtori Akio posted:

this is essentially an artifact of consuming a comic strip in compilation form. same with tomochan. samey gags work much better at comic strip pace

The 3/4 panel format was also something he grated against, and talked about in one of his books. It's why some of his Sunday strips use very unorthodox layouts

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arist posted:

Also, and I mean this in the gentlest way possible, explaining the exact year Calvin and Hobbes "fell off" is pretty funny. It's like a full-grown adult coming up to me and telling me that SpongeBob hasn't been good since Season 3

theyd be right

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also guy who repeatedly brings up how, beloved childrens comic calvin and hobbes, is too bleak for them, is an incredible bit

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sorry guys this darkwing duck thing is too grimdark for me

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

much like the Simpsons, one can pinpoint exactly when SpongeBob stopped being good, and that was after the first movie

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

to be clear, that's why i chose that example, it's plausible

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Endorph posted:

I like you a lot endorph, but I don't know why you're being so sarcastic about my opinion on this. it feels like you're just mocking me when I've never done that to you

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it is a fairly ridiculous thing to assert that does not really align with what calvin and hobbes is or the obvious artist intent and feels more like youre projecting onto it or just get a weird vibe specific to you off it that makes you feel this way

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Arist posted:

to be clear, that's why i chose that example, it's plausible

genuinely did not realize the movie was after s3. mea culpa

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Willo567 posted:

I like you a lot endorph, but I don't know why you're being so sarcastic about my opinion on this. it feels like you're just mocking me when I've never done that to you

You are being mocked

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Plutonis posted:

i was barely awake fluff fixed anyway

yeah it's cool I know you didn't do it maliciously

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Endorph posted:

Jokes aside darkwing duck had to make up a Bruce Wayne persona so he could adopt a kid

That's right folks, darkwing duck is super edgy and gritty and if you'd just give me a minute I've got a script for a pilot for an adult re-imagining of the cartoon I'd love for you to rea

Oh no I've been banned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

the ruby spears mega man cartoon jumped the shark after mega man saved the statue of abraham lincoln