Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best in franchise
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Namtab
View Results

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Southern Cassowary posted:

the metal thread lost its mind and spent an entire page posting ninja and pirate metal, there's something in the water

still better than the monthly "is this band nazis, if the music's good who cares" discourse imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Me listening to Ace of Bass

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I was up all night finishing up a report and at around 4am I succumbed to weakness and started browsing suruga-ya again... they seem to perpetually have free shipping now so heres my dumb rear end buying poo poo

I have never heard a single dempagumi.inc song but I love asano art. ¥1375.

extremely nice doraemon shirt ft. an allover pattern of some of his most famous secret tools. ¥3300.

absolute steal for this deck of kusama art playing cards. some reseller is trying to sell a set for $100 USD. ¥500.

I'm an inveterate thrifter and browsing this site by trying different keywords and romanizations is extremely addictive. call me stanley ipkiss because somebody stop me

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

the metal thread lost its mind and spent an entire page posting ninja and pirate metal, there's something in the water

I mean, in the sense that anime is just Japanese shorthand for animation in general we’re technically not off topic here

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

oh god we can collapse quotes now what the gently caress

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

symbolic posted:

still better than the monthly "is this band nazis, if the music's good who cares" discourse imo

Christ I stopped reading the metal thread years ago because that was happening. How is it still a thing?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

weird reaction lol

are you telling me this guy is mentally unnormal

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Furnaceface posted:

Christ I stopped reading the metal thread years ago because that was happening. How is it still a thing?

because there are always more eastern european black metal bands

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

broke: this band is bad because they are nazis
woke: this band is bad because they are black metal (and also nazis)

copy
Jul 26, 2007

symbolic posted:

lol

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Furnaceface posted:

there are 10,000 bands from poland named like sturmwulf 1488 that three skinheads listen to and thousands of people freak out about

symbolic posted:

black metal written by a depressed person about forests owns

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

black metal written by a depressed person about forests owns

look i like Yellow Eyes and Weakling as much as the next guy but in terms of good:bad ratio, black metal even beats out nu-metal

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

also while making that post i discovered Silencer is apparently NSBM which is AIDS when i loved Death Pierce Me. alas,

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

symbolic posted:

look i like Yellow Eyes and Weakling as much as the next guy but in terms of good:bad ratio, black metal even beats out nu-metal

oh yeah it's a genre where the cream is good but the median is very bad, no arguments there

the year everyone was losing their minds over paysage d'hiver was about the most confused i've ever been by an artist getting buzz

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Me listening to Ace of Bass

lol, drat. I totally missed that discourse, wasn't reading music news at the time I guess.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I think the last metal song I listened to a while back was from Summoning so I guess I’m part or the problem

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
why is this sick alternate version of a haru nemuri song on a anthony fantano lp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHM7G8Qdhk8

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021

Polsy posted:

lol, drat. I totally missed that discourse, wasn't reading music news at the time I guess.

every scandinavian europop group has had at least one skinhead member

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Decided to go for a triple feature of movies yesterday. I started by continuing my trend of rewatching recent anime films by revisiting Looking For Magical Doremi. Despite not having seen even a single minute of Magical Doremi and also being of the opinion that when it comes to fandom one should say “fandon’t”, I do mostly enjoy this story of a trio of young adults becoming friends over their shared love of Magical Doremi. Fortunately it’s accessible for non-fans to the point where they might as well be bonding over a fictional anime - I’m sure there are deep cuts I’m missing out on but anything that’s actually important to what the characters are doing is explicitly spelled out, which makes sense because the show is over two decades old. I have a fondness for this kind of movie, in which the lives of a bunch of 20-somethings aren’t going as they expected and in some cases are even outright failing at accomplishing what they want to do (a fondness no doubt fueled by my own experiences going through the same at that age). I just wish that the last third of the movie didn’t feel so clean - the first two thirds have a fair amount of messy situations that don’t always have the kind of closure the characters would want, but they learn from their experiences and get reasons to be optimistic about their future even if it’s not completely crystal clear. The ending just wraps it up all too neatly and conveniently for my tastes. Not enough to sink the movie for me, thankfully, but it’s the weakest part of the movie. Still think it’s worth watching overall though!

After that I revisited Sword of the Stranger. I remember liking it when it first came out but I’ve never gone back to it - I rewatched it on a whim since I happened to see the blu-ray when browsing movies at the library. It’s a very solidly put together action movie, it just doesn’t leave me with much to chew on and that’s fine. In a just world we’d get a movie like this every year or two.

Then I finished my day by seeing the non-anime movie The Zone of Interest. Incredible, chilling stuff. The end of that movie is gonna sit with me for a while. Highly recommend, if anyone doesn’t like it you can safely send them to the Zone of No Interest (in their posts!).

Also I just realized that with that I have unintentionally hit a perfect 50-50 split between anime movies and non-anime movies watched so far this year, 23 of each. Will this trend continue? Probably not, but it's cool that it happened.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Sword of the Stranger owns and is exactly what it needs to be. Godspeed Luo-Lang you strange mercenary man.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

symbolic posted:

were you locked in a closet for your entire childhood

more or less. I also have never been to an amusement park

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Meowywitch posted:

more or less. I also have never been to an amusement park

do you know what fun is

copy
Jul 26, 2007

they're in the anime forum and not going to amusement parks. obviously the answer is yes

copy
Jul 26, 2007

drat all this amusement around me. sure am glad to be here instead of watching black lagoon for the first time

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

copy posted:

drat all this amusement around me. sure am glad to be here instead of watching black lagoon for the first time

gently caress you amusement parks rock

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

you, a soyjak: OH GOLLY GOSH THIS EPISODE OF STRONGEST LVL 100 ADVENTURER IS THE MOST MARVEL EPICKEST THING EVER. PEAK KINO. BRAVO, GLORIOUS JAPAN

me, a chad: i will never experience a greater thrill than a 90 decibel wooden roller coaster last safety tested when Nixon was in office

copy
Jul 26, 2007

dangerous roller coasters ftw but how dare you compare black lagoon to whatever horrible thing you just invented lol

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

symbolic posted:

do you know what fun is

yeah I used to play counter strike every day

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

They force safety inspections more often than that in most states.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Meowywitch posted:

yeah I used to play counter strike every day

Meowywitch stocks are rising

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

theme parks are overpriced weird bullshit and i pretty much always preferred vacations to the mountains or beach

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

copy posted:

dangerous roller coasters ftw but how dare you compare black lagoon to whatever horrible thing you just invented lol

im sorry i was blinded by rage

copy
Jul 26, 2007

disney quest was cool when it still existed. some weird old guy yelled at me and my cousin for hitting his car in the Rush machines there

copy
Jul 26, 2007

symbolic posted:

im sorry i was blinded by rage

:cheersdoge:

copy
Jul 26, 2007

me, a soyjak: but you love this
you, a chad: what hav ei done

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking